PDA

View Full Version : Who will host the Super regional?

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 01:37 PM
Would be Absolute Trash if Vandy Host The Super Over Us: Here Is Why

I don't believe Vandy should host the Super Regional. I'm going to break down my opinion:

In Vandy's Favor:

- They finished 1 game ahead of MSU in conference record. Vandy 16-14 while MSU 15-15 - Ridiculous to decide it off of one game with unequal schedules

- Vandy swept MSU - This is plausible & Vandy's strongest reason

In MSU's Favor

- Higher RPI - Legit reason

- Bigger crowd, better for ratings, & more money for NCAA - Also a legit reason

Why MSU Should Host

- Considering what I have presented above, it's not fair that MSU is being punished for potentially being in the same Super Regional as an SEC foe. If MSU was going to play another conference's team, then with a higher RPI & bigger crowds, MSU would host Every.Single.Time

So my biggest issues with Vandy potentially hosting over MSU is that, the NCAA is creating new rules depending on the matchup & that is not fair. The only reason Vandy would host over MSU is because we are both SEC teams. The NCAA should have a consistent, objective way of deciding who hosts these things & not change the criteria depending on what conference you are in.

Just my two cents

Rick Danko
06-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Damn man, this game is only in 6th inning, can?t we wait until final out before discussion.

shoeless joe
06-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Gotta win thisn first

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 01:50 PM
Gotta win thisn first

Of course. Just starting the conversation

BrunswickDawg
06-04-2018, 02:01 PM
NCAA will consider a couple of other things that are in our favor:
1)Their ability to make money off the Super - they will make way more in Starkville due to our capacity
2)Hotel availability - the announcers touched on this last night - this weekend is a huge country music event in Nashville that has everything sold out.
3)The Dude Noble Advantage - everyone covering the game for the NCAA and ESPN would rather come eat in our outfield and enjoy our atmosphere then sitting in Vandy with their fake turf, 3700 fans and the damn whistlers.

I think if we win, we host. Hands down

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 02:06 PM
NCAA will consider a couple of other things that are in our favor:
1)Their ability to make money off the Super - they will make way more in Starkville due to our capacity
2)Hotel availability - the announcers touched on this last night - this weekend is a huge country music event in Nashville that has everything sold out.
3)The Dude Noble Advantage - everyone covering the game for the NCAA and ESPN would rather come eat in our outfield and enjoy our atmosphere then sitting in Vandy with their fake turf, 3700 fans and the damn whistlers.

I think if we win, we host. Hands down

If we don't host, we are being punished for playing a team in our conference

Is that right?

Quaoarsking
06-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Vandy has the better SOS and more top 50 wins too.

Obviously I want us to host and I think our resume is a little bit stronger, but I disagree that it's "absolute trash" if the NCAA picks them - it's very close if you don't consider the $$$ angle.

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 02:14 PM
Vandy has the better SOS and more top 50 wins too.

Obviously I want us to host and I think our resume is a little bit stronger, but I disagree that it's "absolute trash" if the NCAA picks them - it's very close if you don't consider the $$$ angle.

We have the higher RPI. That cancels out the SOS & top 50 wins.

Our RPI is 28 & theirs is 38

drummerdawg
06-04-2018, 02:16 PM
Does it not go to whoever won the highest seeded regional?

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 02:18 PM

Not sure. I've never heard that.

It wouldn't be up for debate, if that was the case

drummerdawg
06-04-2018, 02:20 PM
Not sure. I've never heard that.

It wouldn't be up for debate, if that was the case

Just what someone told me but they could be wrong.

Hambone
06-04-2018, 02:21 PM
If it simply comes down to where the NCAA can make the most money then it isn’t even a debate.

Quaoarsking
06-04-2018, 02:26 PM

No, it goes to who the Committee views is the "higher" 2-seed.

It will be us if the Committee values RPI, top 10 wins, and $$$. It will be Vanderbilt if the Committee values SOS, top 50 wins, conference record, and head-to-head.

I predict it's us, but I'm not 100% sure.

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 02:29 PM
The NCAA has all the ammo needed to let us host. Do they not like money?

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Kendall makes these remarks with no reasons. I don't get it.

https://i.imgur.com/mSFbeuY.png

Bulldog1
06-04-2018, 03:01 PM
Don't know why but I just feel like they're going to screw us and make us go to Vandy. Wish we would host though- we should.

Lord McBuckethead
06-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Our stadium is under construction. NCAA is going to pull some safety bs and give it to Vandy. Mark it.

Bdawg
06-04-2018, 03:07 PM
David Murray was leaning Vandy from what he was hearing over there today.

Liverpooldawg
06-04-2018, 03:15 PM
Word on the other board that the rumor in Tallahassee is we go to Nashville.

ScoobaDawg
06-04-2018, 03:15 PM
The only way I could understand it is if it had something to do with construction... which wouldnt make sense.

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 03:17 PM
Our stadium is under construction. NCAA is going to pull some safety bs and give it to Vandy. Mark it.

But why would the NCAA WANT to have it at Vandy?

Saltydog
06-04-2018, 03:18 PM
fact that they swept us, have already played in Starkville this year, finished higher than us in the conference and beat a 1 seed twice in their regional and their case is better than ours.

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 03:18 PM

Yes but it lacks logic.

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 03:21 PM
fact that they swept us, have already played in Starkville this year, finished higher than us in the conference and beat a 1 seed twice in their regional and their case is better than ours.

Absolute bullshit

Bigger player in college baseball?

1 game better in conference with unequal schedules?

MSU has a higher RPI & bigger fan support.

Giving it to Vandy is essentially Gerrymandering the rules & cherry picking which ones will apply.

If MSU were matched up against another conference's school, conference record WOULD NOT MATTER.

This is not the SEC tournament. This is the NCAA tournament & there is no objective, NCAA reason that Vandy should host over us.

Pit Bull
06-04-2018, 03:22 PM
....to squash out MSU fans by marketing all the seats to VU fans first before MSU gets anything. Much like what USM and ULL did to us in the last 2 regionals. That is a piss poor decision by the NCAA. We have the higher RPI, but yet we travel to Vandy.....just don't get that.

Goldendawg
06-04-2018, 03:24 PM
Just the lack of hotel rooms should be a no-brainer. If our stadium was safe for regular season games it is safe now. Hail State!

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 03:24 PM
Cohen should be chewing some ass on the phone right now if this is true.

Vandy has no greater claim to hosting this regional than MSU does.

MSU has the higher RPI & will have more fans & take more fans to Omaha should they make it.

Quaoarsking
06-04-2018, 03:25 PM
....to squash out MSU fans by marketing all the seats to VU fans first before MSU gets anything. Much like what USM and ULL did to us in the last 2 regionals. That is a piss poor decision by the NCAA. We have the higher RPI, but yet we travel to Vandy.....just don't get that.

Agree that we should host but ...

Clemson had a better RPI than us in 2007. RPI is one of a few measures they use, and it's very close between us and Vanderbilt as to whose overall resume is better.

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 03:26 PM
Of course, I fully expect our media to roll over & not ask tough questions & not present the facts.

Just the MSU way. Roll over & take it

ScoobaDawg
We should host.. It's SIMPLE. 2 seeds are NOT SEEDED like #1 seeds are (1-16) We are ALL EQUAL. It goes to the Criteria listed below. We bid higher. WE HOST. WE ALL LEARNED THIS IN 2007. The rules haven't changed.
Page 20
http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018D1MBA_PreChampsMan_20180214.pdf

Regarding the super regional tournaments, with the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3, the Division I Baseball Committee alsofollows the additional criteria below:
1. Super regional competition shall take place at on-campus sites or alternate sites approved by the Division I BaseballCommittee.

2. Prospective host institutions must submit a minimum financial guarantee of $35,000, which shall be 75 percent of theestimated net receipts as submitted on the hosting proposal (online proposed budget).
The $35,000 minimum applies toboth two-day and three-day super regional competitions.

3. Consideration for hosting shall be given to the higher seed if a suitable hosting proposal has been received (e.g., meetsfinancial guarantee and quality of facility criteria). If the higher seed has not submitted a proposal, the lower-seededteam will host if their proposal is acceptable.

4. If the super regional matchup is between equally seeded teams, the committee shall review the hosting proposals accordingto the site selection criteria (e.g., quality and availability of the facility, revenue potential and other available accommodations)to determine the host. If only one of the teams has submitted a proposal, that team shall host if the proposal is acceptable.

5. Lights are highly recommended at all prospective super regional sites. These lights should meet the NCAA standardsfound by clicking on the “NCAA Broadcast Manual and Policies” link at www.ncaa.com/media (http://www.ncaa.com/media).
6. The committee will consider previous crowd control and behavior of the prospective host institution

Saltydog
it's the damn truth. Sure we've played for a n/c in 2013 and they did that in '15 but the also won one in '14. I'm just telling you, they will hosts. Wait and see.

Jarius
06-04-2018, 03:27 PM
We also just came out of a regional against a higher national seed, which should count for something but probably will not.

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 03:28 PM
Will be interesting to see if the NCAA does what is best for the sport

https://i.imgur.com/XzItlGJ.jpg

Pit Bull
06-04-2018, 03:28 PM
Agree that we should host but ...

Clemson had a better RPI than us in 2007. RPI is one of a few measures they use, and it's very close between us and Vanderbilt as to whose overall resume is better.

Which team had the most top 10 wins?

Saltydog
06-04-2018, 03:30 PM
country music festival is bringing in that Vandy will have large crowds, which for them may be 4K. The other thing that may affect us is Ole Miss. As stupid as it sounds, if they host a SR I can see them rationalizing it that two MS schools shouldn't host.

ejdallas322
If it is in Nashville I expect a lot of fans to make it. We can easily have a better crowd than Vandy. I live in Nashville so I?m attending either way.

ShotgunDawg
Of course, I fully expect our media to roll over & not ask tough questions & not present the facts.

Just the MSU way. Roll over & take it

And right on cue...... why must we have dumb people representing our university?

https://i.imgur.com/pbBcjzU.png

Cooterpoot
With no hotel rooms and smaller facility, lower RPI, and lower seeding/regional it should be in Starkville. The only thing they've got on us is head to head and that was the first of the year.

Matty Dispatch
1. Cohen got the change order from the construction company to stop, clean up, etc. and he said the hell with it.

2. Vandy has played in Starkville already this year and NCAA wanted to let them host because of it.

3. All else is close to equal: star and bars.

IMissJack
06-04-2018, 03:32 PM
Absolute bullshit

Bigger player in college baseball?

1 game better in conference with unequal schedules?

MSU has a higher RPI & bigger fan support.

Giving it to Vandy is essentially Gerrymandering the rules & cherry picking which ones will apply.

If MSU were matched up against another conference's school, conference record WOULD NOT MATTER.

This is not the SEC tournament. This is the NCAA tournament & there is no objective, NCAA reason that Vandy should host over us.

I have no idea what the committee will do, but one could make the argument either way. Head to head and better conference record are biggies in my book.

BuckyIsAB****
06-04-2018, 03:32 PM
how do yall know this when the school doesnt even know

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 03:33 PM
And right on cue...... why must we have dumb people representing our university?

https://i.imgur.com/pbBcjzU.png

Why aren't people associated with our school coming up with cases as to why we should host?

Why do they insist on telling the other school's case without presenting ours?

I'll never understand the mind set of many of our fans & associated people

hopsondawg22
06-04-2018, 03:34 PM

Because our fanbase is full of message board savants.

Tbonewannabe
06-04-2018, 03:36 PM

Same way they know Schloss will be announced tomorrow.

Intramural All-American
06-04-2018, 03:38 PM

First off, that's not true. The NCAA requires that the away team gets a set number of tickets for the Supers. Secondly, anyone saying that Vandy has no claim to host is being a homer. We both have reasons to feel like we should host, but the fact that they already had to come to Starkville this year, and swept us at home makes me think they will get it. It's hard to argue against that logic. Hopefully that logic isn't used, and we host.

smootness
06-04-2018, 03:40 PM
Will be interesting to see if the NCAA does what is best for the sport

https://i.imgur.com/XzItlGJ.jpg

Chill out man haha. The integrity/success of the sport doesn’t hang in the balance. If we have to go to Vandy, then we’ll go and beat them.

Tbonewannabe
06-04-2018, 03:40 PM
Why aren't people associated with our school coming up with cases as to why we should host?

So Matt's case is Vandy won the series right after we lost our coach and the season was in turmoil. Vandy also won "one" extra SEC game.

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 03:41 PM
I have no idea what the committee will do, but one could make the argument either way. Head to head and better conference record are biggies in my book.

So you want to argue against MSU hosting? I don't understand this mindset from anyone associated with MSU

BTW, this isn't SEC tournament. This is the NCAA tournament. Meaning that conference records can't be applied equally across the entire field. That would be Gerrymandering the rules sine they can't be applied to all Super Regionals

Pit Bull
06-04-2018, 03:42 PM
First off, that's not true. The NCAA requires that the away team gets a set number of tickets for the Supers. Secondly, anyone saying that Vandy has no claim to host is being a homer. We both have reasons to feel like we should host, but the fact that they already had to come to Starkville this year, and swept us at home makes me think they will get it. It's hard to argue against that logic. Hopefully that logic isn't used, and we host.

You're right.....I believe it was 500 tickets or less for each regional. That should satisfy the 10,000 or so MSU fans who would go to Vandy to see the games.

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 03:42 PM
So Matt's case is Vandy won the series right after we lost our coach and the season was in turmoil. Vandy also won "one" extra SEC game.

But why is someone associated with MSU giving Vandy's case & not MSU's?

Bulldog1
06-04-2018, 03:44 PM
We should be the one hosting but the NCAA will find a way somehow to make us go to Vandy.

deadheaddawg
06-04-2018, 03:45 PM
From this point on, any thread beginning with..."hearing" should be taken with a million grains of salt

DownwardDawg
06-04-2018, 03:45 PM
Nobody on this board has a clue where the Super will be held. It’s a 50/50 guess.

Lord McBuckethead
06-04-2018, 03:46 PM
1. Cohen got the change order from the construction company to stop, clean up, etc. and he said the hell with it.

2. Vandy has played in Starkville already this year and NCAA wanted to let them host because of it.

3. All else is close to equal: star and bars.

Guns in stadium too I guess.

IMissJack
06-04-2018, 03:47 PM
We need OM to lose, so the NCAA does not have an excuse to keep MS from having 2 host teams

Tbonewannabe
06-04-2018, 03:47 PM
But why is someone associated with MSU giving Vandy's case & not MSU's?

I agree, Matt is one of the worst "MSU" guys in the media. I don't know if he just wants to be that media guy who is absolutely never associated as a homer but he almost never takes a MSU lean.

deadheaddawg
06-04-2018, 03:48 PM
Nobody on this board has a clue where the Super will be held. It’s a 50/50 guess.

Yep. They are "hearing" the same thing I'm hearing.

Someone who has no clue is guessing

Percho
06-04-2018, 03:54 PM
the super regional will be played at the higher seeded team's field. If the two seeds are the same, the Super Regional will be bid upon by the two competing teams.

from Wiki

Homedawg
06-04-2018, 04:08 PM
country music festival is bringing in that Vandy will have large crowds, which for them may be 4K. The other thing that may affect us is Ole Miss. As stupid as it sounds, if they host a SR I can see them rationalizing it that two MS schools shouldn't host.

Yeah because the people coming for that are clearly college baseball fans*******

Tbonewannabe
06-04-2018, 04:09 PM
Just so everyone knows, Nashville has CMAfest and Bonnaroo this weekend so good luck to ESPN or anyone else getting a hotel room.

Edited to add: You would think if the NCAA was determining the site by the different factors that actual possible fan attendance would be high on the list if the teams are as even as we are. We are planning on going but I am going to be pissed if I am just sitting in the parking lot in Nashville because the place only holds a couple of thousand that Vandy rigged to be only their fans.

Tbonewannabe
06-04-2018, 04:14 PM

Someone is almost 100% not going to go to CMAfest and the Vandy baseball game. It will be one or the other and the way fans show up for Vandy, it will be CMAfest.

Jack Lambert
06-04-2018, 04:20 PM
I think it is going to come down to which AD is the best salesman.

RocketDawg
06-04-2018, 04:20 PM

Sounds to me like he's just stating facts.

Lord McBuckethead
06-04-2018, 04:23 PM
Look here is the argument.
Our stadium is better.
Our fans will show up.
Our atmosphere is better on a 40 degree midweek game in April versus their big SEC weekend matchups.
We will sell out + every game...every game.
Our team swept aTm, Florida, and took 3-4 from Ole Miss. There is your missing SEC game right there. SEC will not let us count it, but the NCAA does.
Vandy is some bullshit with that guy that whistles. Who wants to listen to that guy for 2-3 days. Dude is going to get his ass beat.
Our stadium was determined safe for our home season games, why not NCAA. If the NCAA determines it unsafe, then I will sue the shit out of the NCAA for allowing me and my kid to enter an active construction zone for 10 games this spring. Just saying. It is either safe, or it isn't. There is not a "well its pretty much safe" situation with sites under construction and public occupancy.

Tbonewannabe
06-04-2018, 04:27 PM
Sounds to me like he's just stating facts.

I think Shotgun's point was he just pointed out anything that was in Vandy's favor. MSU has a better record against upper tier competition and if you look at our record from April 1st to now then it is probably better also. Matt only makes the case for Vandy whereas it really is pretty much a coin flip. We have the best record against the top ten teams in the country to go with one more win overall than Vandy. If you logically take into account what our team went through then it makes the case in our favor.

Matt brings up zero points that would lead you to believe we are on even footing. It is the same ole poor Mississippi State attitude where we don't think we are as good which is complete bullshit.

RocketDawg
06-04-2018, 04:46 PM
I think Shotgun's point was he just pointed out anything that was in Vandy's favor. MSU has a better record against upper tier competition and if you look at our record from April 1st to now then it is probably better also. Matt only makes the case for Vandy whereas it really is pretty much a coin flip. We have the best record against the top ten teams in the country to go with one more win overall than Vandy. If you logically take into account what our team went through then it makes the case in our favor.

Matt brings up zero points that would lead you to believe we are on even footing. It is the same ole poor Mississippi State attitude where we don't think we are as good which is complete bullshit.

Not really ... he said attendance and revenue were in our favor. And the emoticon he drew indicated it was a tossup.

Hotel space shouldn't be an issue ... we've hosted Supers before, and routinely have football weekends that will have at least 10 times the attendance of a Super.

I think it'll come down to actual record, and maybe some intangibles (like national image, Nashville having more attractions for visitors, etc.). Or even the bias of the committee members. We'll know in a few days.

I seen it dawg
06-04-2018, 04:46 PM
Money. I'll be shocked if we aren't picked bc we would load the place with tickets the NCAA issues and are bought with...money. Be shocking to me if we aren't hostin on the fact alone.

Madisonmd
06-04-2018, 04:59 PM
There is also a Little League World series tournament this weekend in Starkville. No hotel rooms available anywhere according to guy at work whose kid is playing there. 140 teams , he said.

Bully13
06-04-2018, 05:09 PM
There is also a Little League World series tournament this weekend in Starkville. No hotel rooms available anywhere according to guy at work whose kid is playing there. 140 teams , he said.

What dumbass scheduled that?

MitchD24
06-04-2018, 05:41 PM
Based on other supers anybody have any idea what ticket pricing would be?

Bulldog1
06-04-2018, 05:41 PM
Announcement coming at 7:00 CT in the morning.

maroonmania
06-04-2018, 08:37 PM

Well that is just a real turd in the punchbowl. Can't believe that got scheduled when we expected to have a really good team this year originally.

Jack Lambert
06-04-2018, 08:38 PM
I think now if Ole Miss loses we host. All that ESPN equipment is really close.

Pit Bull
06-04-2018, 08:57 PM
Let the Implosion Begin at the University of Northwest Mississippi.

parabrave
06-04-2018, 08:58 PM
Oxford won't.

BuckyIsAB****
06-04-2018, 10:18 PM

also we are hosting a 7 on 7 tournament and football camp on friday. will be plenty of traffic

Homedawg
06-04-2018, 10:26 PM
I think it is going to come down to which AD is the best salesman.

Won’t have one thing to do with it. None.

Homedawg
06-04-2018, 10:29 PM
Money. I'll be shocked if we aren't picked bc we would load the place with tickets the NCAA issues and are bought with...money. Be shocking to me if we aren't hostin on the fact alone.

20 years ago that would matter. Now, meh, not so much. Billion dollar company that’s more worried about being pc than a few hundred thousand dollars. Just a blip on their screen.

Goldendawg
06-04-2018, 10:30 PM
I agree, Matt is one of the worst "MSU" guys in the media. I don't know if he just wants to be that media guy who is absolutely never associated as a homer but he almost never takes a MSU lean.

Why we still pay him to call any MSU games in any sport in beyond me.

skadoosh14
06-04-2018, 11:42 PM
We should host.. It's SIMPLE. 2 seeds are NOT SEEDED like #1 seeds are (1-16) We are ALL EQUAL. It goes to the Criteria listed below. We bid higher. WE HOST. WE ALL LEARNED THIS IN 2007. The rules haven't changed.
Page 20
http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018D1MBA_PreChampsMan_20180214.pdf

Yep. Item 4 is the most telling.

Quality and availability of the facility: Vanderbilt introduced the world to their $12M facility in 2017. We spent $43M more on ours. Point to MSU (Assuming availability isn't a factor for either party)

Revenue potential and other available accommodations: The last time Vandy hosted a regional, in 2016, they brought 2,954 people to the stadium. The last time we hosted a regional our least attended game brought in 6,138 more people. We are the bigger market. We would bring in a larger profit.

mstatefan91
06-05-2018, 12:33 AM
Found this interesting

"The official scorer for each game shall be appointed by the tournament manager, and his or her duties shall be as
outlined in the 2018 NCAA Baseball Rules. The official scorer will receive $20 per game for all regional and super
regional games."

NCAA don't pay anyone anything lol

skadoosh14
06-05-2018, 12:42 AM
Found this interesting

"The official scorer for each game shall be appointed by the tournament manager, and his or her duties shall be as
outlined in the 2018 NCAA Baseball Rules. The official scorer will receive $20 per game for all regional and super
regional games."

NCAA don't pay anyone anything lol

I'd take that job. I would obviously need a lawyer after the series to explain why we scored 934 runs in 2 games, but you can chalk that up to the cost of doing business.