PDA

View Full Version : MLB draft

msstate7
06-04-2018, 07:49 AM
It's here. What do we look for tonight? Also, gotta figure our favorite recruit to talk about is a goner with no coach in place.

TNDawg35
06-04-2018, 07:52 AM
I think Ginn will surprise us and be a dawg next yr.

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 07:54 AM
I think Ginn will surprise us and be a dawg next yr.

He doesn't even know who will be coaching him.

Would you risk 2 mil on an unknown develop plan?

Bulldog1
06-04-2018, 08:59 AM
I'd really like to get Halter to campus, but I seriously doubt it. I wish it would though.

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 09:02 AM
I'd really like to get Halter to campus, but I seriously doubt it. I wish it would though.

Halter should get to school

Bulldog1
06-04-2018, 09:04 AM
Halter should get to school

Nice!

shoeless joe
06-04-2018, 10:04 AM
He doesn't even know who will be coaching him.

Would you risk 2 mil on an unknown develop plan?

He doesn't have to sign tonite.

Matty Dispatch
06-04-2018, 10:05 AM
#mlbdraft

I seen it dawg
06-04-2018, 11:28 AM

Thank you

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 11:32 AM

True but, due to the dynamics of the draft, a team won't take him tonight unless they know he'll sign. If he's drafted tonight, he's already agreed to sign or at least is 99% sure he will.

msstate7
06-04-2018, 11:34 AM
True but, due to the dynamics of the draft, a team won't take him tonight unless they know he'll sign. If he's drafted tonight, he's already agreed to sign or at least is 99% sure he will.

I agree. I think deals are pretty much set before guys are taken early

KB21
06-04-2018, 11:34 AM
Carter Stewart has been mocked to the Braves at #8 by Keith Law, Jim Callis, and Jonathan Mayo today.

Dawg61
06-04-2018, 11:35 AM

Don't some teams draft guys they know won't go pro so they can get a compensation pick the next year for it? If next year's draft projects to be better some teams might intentionally do this so they have an extra 1st round pick next year.

msstate7
06-04-2018, 11:36 AM
Carter Stewart has been mocked to the Braves at #8 by Keith Law, Jim Callis, and Jonathan Mayo today.

Think he's coming to state? Ha

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 11:38 AM
Don't some teams draft guys they know won't go pro so they can get a compensation pick the next year for it? If next year's draft projects to be better some teams might intentionally do this so they have an extra 1st round pick next year.

Yes. It happens occasionally but here's the downside of that.

If you were a GM and knew you only had 5 years to win or get fired, are you pushing draft picks back a year?

By basically passing, you are delaying the time till a prospect gets to the big leagues.

Dawg61
06-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Yes. It happens occasionally but here's the downside of that.

If you were a GM and knew you only had 5 years to win or get fired, are you pushing draft picks back a year?

By basically passing, you are delaying the time till a prospect gets to the big leagues.

The Astros did it and teams are copying their formula now. Astros are set up to be very good for a long time because they passed at the top of their drafts for a couple years in a row till they got a can't miss in Correa.

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 11:48 AM
The Astros did it and teams are copying their formula now. Astros are set up to be very good for a long time because they passed at the top of their drafts for a couple years in a row till they got a can't miss in Correa.

They didn't do it on purpose. They were caught off guard by Aiken's elbow.

Additionally, it only really works if your sure you'll have a high pick the following year.

The best examples are Lodolo at TCU and Beede from Vandy

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Not to be a Debby Downer, but if feel like Ginn would've pulled his name from the draft by now if he wasn't going to sign.

smootness
06-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Not to be a Debby Downer, but if feel like Ginn would've pulled his name from the draft by now if he wasn't going to sign.

That’s how own it works.

Dawg61
06-04-2018, 04:09 PM

Who pulls their name from the draft? Never heard of that. It's not basketball. They want to get drafted regardless if they always intend to go to school so they can have a better idea of where they are ranked and so they'll have a better idea what to expect the next time they get drafted. Literally nobody pulls their name out of the draft that I am aware of.

Tbonewannabe
06-04-2018, 04:33 PM
Who pulls their name from the draft? Never heard of that. It's not basketball. They want to get drafted regardless if they always intend to go to school so they can have a better idea of where they are ranked and so they'll have a better idea what to expect the next time they get drafted. Literally nobody pulls their name out of the draft that I am aware of.

One guy did but it really is pretty much unheard of. It doesn't affect your eligibility so why not just let a team draft you. The only thing would be if you told a team it takes X Million and then you didn't sign.

ShotgunDawg
06-04-2018, 04:36 PM

Yes they do.

A number of guys do it every year.

The only reason Ginn hasn't pulled his name out of the draft is because he wants to see how much money he can get.

I seen it dawg
06-04-2018, 04:51 PM
No one "pulls" their name. You can't. If a team wants to take you then they take you. Now if you tell them all you won't take less than 10 million to sign then most likely you have effectively "pulled" your name out...unless a team decides to roll the dice and offer you a chunk of money. Which you can always turn down. And the team risks wasting a pick.

KB21
06-04-2018, 05:32 PM
Carter Stewart has been projected to the Braves by every major outlet now. He's also at the draft. That wicked curve ball isn't going to be in Starkville.

msstate7
06-04-2018, 05:36 PM
Carter Stewart has been projected to the Braves by every major outlet now. He's also at the draft. That wicked curve ball isn't going to be in Starkville.

Big curve, huh? Add his to Touki's and allard's