PDA

View Full Version : Why do batters don't run towards first after strike three?

Mutt the Hoople
06-03-2018, 08:24 PM
I've seen this for years- a batter either looks at or swings at strike three, the catcher drops it, but the runner doesn't even make a move towards running to first. In my experience, there's always a chance that catcher will throw the ball into right field.

When I played, I rarely struck out. But if I did, I always made a move to run towards first. Make the catcher work.

Turfdawg67
06-03-2018, 08:50 PM
I've seen this for years- a batter either looks at or swings at strike three, the catcher drops it, but the runner doesn't even make a move towards running to first. In my experience, there's always a chance that catcher will throw the ball into right field.

When I played, I rarely struck out. But if I did, I always made a move to run towards first. Make the catcher work.

"Why do batters don't run...". Geez, tell us you didn't attend MSU.

BTW, that last batter do ran to first after three strike***

RocketDawg
06-03-2018, 08:55 PM
I've seen many attempt to get on first after a strikeout, but I don't remember it ever atually working. I guess there's a decent chance of a bad throw or even a swing at a passed ball, but I've just never seen it work.

Hot Rock
06-03-2018, 08:59 PM
I've seen many attempt to get on first after a strikeout, but I don't remember it ever atually working. I guess there's a decent chance of a bad throw or even a swing at a passed ball, but I've just never seen it work.

I have seen a bad throw or two on bobbled balls in the dirt and they guy makes it. So, it does happen.

I don't think I have ever seen it in the majors but I have seen it in college and lower levels.

Gutter Cobreh
06-03-2018, 09:05 PM

Do they allow running to first if you've missed the ball in t-ball???***

Leroy Jenkins
06-03-2018, 09:10 PM
If the base is occupied you are out regardless.

RocketDawg
06-03-2018, 09:39 PM
Do they allow running to first if you've missed the ball in t-ball???***

Hahaha.

Quaoarsking
06-03-2018, 09:40 PM
If the base is occupied you are out regardless.

This.

Also you can only do it on a swinging strike. Any player who runs to first after called strike 3 the catcher drops is a jackass and should be pulled from the game.

somebodyshotmypaw
06-03-2018, 10:12 PM
I clicked the thread just to understand it. Because the title sounded like something my dog typed.

Mutt the Hoople
06-03-2018, 10:36 PM
This rule:

Rule 6.09 (b): The batter becomes a runner when the third strike called by the umpire is not caught, providing (1) first base is unoccupied or (2) first base is occupied with two out.

Some guys just stand there disgusted with themselves, and let the catcher tag them without even trying to run to first. RUN!