PDA

View Full Version : Got an idea, need feedback

BeastMan
10-09-2013, 01:46 PM
When this board traffic picks up, we should do a ED game cookbook. Basically, users submit personal favorite recipes for fish, crab, shrimp, deer, turkey, hog, duck, etc... Once we get a nice number of submissions, I'll clean it up and pin it at the top and it can continually get additions

Barking 13
10-09-2013, 01:56 PM
cool

Dawg61
10-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Good idea in fact I think you should add (grilling) to the board description. You'll get a lot more traffic if people can submit food ideas. Just my 2 cents. I don't know shit about hunting, guns or fishing but I can contribute to food discussions. Ha and all Rednecks (including myself) love food.

SignalToNoise
10-09-2013, 02:02 PM
I think it's a great idea. I tend to cook the same things at tailgates and would like some new ideas.

BeastMan
10-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Good idea in fact I think you should add (grilling) to the board description. You'll get a lot more traffic if people can submit food ideas. Just my 2 cents. I don't know shit about hunting, guns or fishing but I can contribute to food discussions. Ha and all Rednecks (including myself) love food.

Good idea 61

CadaverDawg
10-09-2013, 02:05 PM
When this board traffic picks up, we should do a ED game cookbook. Basically, users submit personal favorite recipes for fish, crab, shrimp, deer, turkey, hog, duck, etc... Once we get a nice number of submissions, I'll clean it up and pin it at the top and it can continually get additions

Love this idea, and love this forum.

Question...

I am a big deer Hunter, but I don't hunt hogs, ducks, etc because I don't have anywhere to hunt them. However, I would love to try duck meat, hog meat, etc because I have buddies that claim it is great. Is there anywhere or anyone that sells meat like that so that we can try these fish, hog, duck, deer, recipes even if we don't hunt those particular animals? Just curious.

I think we may end up with more deer hunters in the world if I was able to cook those non deer hunters a back strap with cream cheese and jalape?os. Same may go for me and ducks. If I could eat a great wild duck recipe, it may further entice me to find a duck camp or something. Always good to get more people involved in the outdoors IMO.

FISHDAWG
10-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Pineapple Mahi-Mahi - very simple ... melt butter (not margarine) and squeeze pineapple juice into butter, add some garlic (not a lot) ... pour over fillets ... set fillets on a piece of foil & squeeze pineapple pulp onto fillets... add a few slivers of red bell pepper ...garner with light sprinkling of dill weed ..... sounds like a disaster but the collision of the sweetness and garlic/dill actually works ...... grill (or bake) for about 20 minutes & serve with cold glass of Negra-Modella
(to be served with brown / dirty/ wild rice )

FISHDAWG
10-09-2013, 02:18 PM

Question...

I think we may end up with more deer hunters in the world if I was able to cook those non deer hunters a back strap with cream cheese and jalape?os. Same may go for me and ducks. If I could eat a great wild duck recipe, it may further entice me to find a duck camp or something. Always good to get more people involved in the outdoors IMO.

lord have mercy - you can bring some of that along on any tailgate and convert the opposing forces

Barking 13
10-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Pineapple Mahi-Mahi - very simple ... melt butter (not margarine) and squeeze pineapple juice into butter, add some garlic (not a lot) ... pour over fillets ... set fillets on a piece of foil & squeeze pineapple pulp onto fillets... add a few slivers of red bell pepper ...garner with light sprinkling of dill weed ..... sounds like a disaster but the collision of the sweetness and garlic/dill actually works ...... grill (or bake) for about 20 minutes & serve with cold glass of Negra-Modella
(to be served with brown / dirty/ wild rice )

hush yo damn mouth!!!! mmmm mmmmm!

Barking 13
10-09-2013, 03:20 PM

Question...

I am a big deer Hunter, but I don't hunt hogs, ducks, etc because I don't have anywhere to hunt them. However, I would love to try duck meat, hog meat, etc because I have buddies that claim it is great. Is there anywhere or anyone that sells meat like that so that we can try these fish, hog, duck, deer, recipes even if we don't hunt those particular animals? Just curious.

I've had duck grilled like you do Doves... bacon wrapped breasts with bell peppers marinated in italian.... pretty good

Barking 13
10-09-2013, 03:22 PM
I cook some pretty good ribs, if that counts..... how bout some grilled crab stuffed flounder with a light cheese sauce? (Baudean's St. Sue Supreme)

CadaverDawg
10-09-2013, 08:02 PM
I've had duck grilled like you do Doves... bacon wrapped breasts with bell peppers marinated in italian.... pretty good

I've never even had doves or duck. Want to try both but I have nowhere to hunt those two birds. I got chicken and turkey covered, but need to broaden my bird horizons

BeastMan
10-09-2013, 08:03 PM
I cook some pretty good ribs, if that counts..... how bout some grilled crab stuffed flounder with a light cheese sauce? (Baudean's St. Sue Supreme)

That sounds amazing. That definitely needs to go in the ED outdoor board cookbook

BeastMan
10-09-2013, 08:06 PM
@Cadaver

Most folks I know with farming land WANT you to come hunt hogs on their land b/c they are a major nuisance. I would start a thread offering your "help" and I'm sure someone will allow you to. You'd be doing them a favor honestly

Natedogg33
10-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Jalape?os, cream cheese, some Tony's and a bit of garlic work great on deer, duck and dove. Oh, don't forget the bacon.
Here's a little recipe, kind of an appetizer but it works either way. Take a backstrap and slice it into approx. 3/8 inch thick strips across the grain. Take a meat mallet and lightly beat it. Throw the pieces in a bowl and pour coke on it til it's covered. Put in fridge and let it sit over night. Drain and pour a garlic herb marinade on it. KC Masterpiece or Lawrys marinade work. Let sit a few hours in fridge. Take em out and prepare to work a bit. Get your cream cheese, bacon and Tamed jalape?os. Lay them out smear the cream cheese on and put a slice of jalape?o. Roll and wrap in bacon. Toothpick them and get the grill ready. shake a little Tony's on top with a bit of garlic powder. Cook until the bacon is almost done. Don't overlook. Good luck and you're welcome.

State82
10-10-2013, 02:56 PM

Question...

Can't buy any wild game meat since it is illegal, but I can give you all the ducks you want to experiment with. My favorite duck recipe is the same as your back strap. We just filet the breast meat off the bone (very rarely do I clean ducks whole---way too much trouble and time involved), butterfly the slab of meat, spread the cream cheese, place a few Mexican pickles, roll it up, wrap it in bacon and on the grill it goes. One thing about ducks that is critical when grilling. It has to be rare or you can't eat it. If it's rare and prepared properly, it can taste like a filet. But if you go over just a little bit, you might as well let the dogs have it. We sometimes use the flavored cream cheeses, but I prefer regular. My father-in-law makes a fine duck dressing. We use whole ducks for that and I have never tried preparing it. I just pluck/clean the ducks for him.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-10-2013, 03:21 PM
I've never even had doves or duck. Want to try both but I have nowhere to hunt those two birds. I got chicken and turkey covered, but need to broaden my bird horizons
I've hunted dove all my life, but just recently got into duck hunting and I freaking love it! I soak the breasts in a coke and salsa mix for 12-24 hours and then I make "Duck Wraps" stuffed with cream cheese and a pepper (any kind) and wrapped in bacon. Sometimes I'll add some "Pick-a-Pepper" sauce to the inside before I put it on the grill and it's delicious. Also, for a change-up, I'll add or substitute pineapple for the pepper. Cheers!

Barking 13
10-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Natedogg is right.. if you overcook that duck just a little, it ain't fit to eat. Dries out and is tough as leather... ask me how I know... it ain't like chicken....

Anybody tried a Turducken?