PDA

View Full Version : New Cowbell Rule

Token Bammer
06-03-2018, 10:46 AM
I just saw this article posted on a BAMA board and thought I would share it with you guys. (SIAP) Hit the link or read the copy and paste.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/msu-cowbell-usage-new-rule-2018/

The SEC apparently wants less cowbell.

At least that?s what a new conference-wide rule will enforce.

According to AL.com, the SEC?s Executive Committee passed a proposal that will forbid teams to make artificial noise once the center puts his hand on the ball. That?ll be a change from the previous rule, which vaguely stated that artificial noise couldn?t occur once the center ?took his place over the ball.?

The change was made to make it easier to enforce violations. What?ll be interesting to see is how officials choose to enforce it. Could we see flags for cowbells in 2018?

First-year Mississippi State coach Joe Moorhead told AL.com that the Bulldogs will certainly follow any new rules put in place.

?I know we?re regulating, but there?s some discussions made relative to artificial noise and the timing of when you need to cut it off,? Moorhead said. ?Ultimately, we?ll have to abide by it.?

The question is, will Mississippi State fans have that same mindset?

BulldogDX55
06-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Isn't that what we already do? They train up the new freshmen with that rule in mind at cowbell yell.

Bully13
06-03-2018, 10:51 AM
I just saw this article posted on a BAMA board and thought I would share it with you guys. (SIAP) Hit the link or read the copy and paste.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/msu-cowbell-usage-new-rule-2018/

According to AL.com, the SEC?s Executive Committee passed a proposal that will forbid teams to make artificial noise once the center puts his hand on the ball. That?ll be a change from the previous rule, which vaguely stated that artificial noise couldn?t occur once the center ?took his place over the ball.?

The change was made to make it easier to enforce violations. What?ll be interesting to see is how officials choose to enforce it. Could we see flags for cowbells in 2018?

First-year Mississippi State coach Joe Moorhead told AL.com that the Bulldogs will certainly follow any new rules put in place.

?I know we?re regulating, but there?s some discussions made relative to artificial noise and the timing of when you need to cut it off,? Moorhead said. ?Ultimately, we?ll have to abide by it.?

Not understanding this "new rule". Based on my memory and watching games on t.v., we already quit ringing once the opponent approaches the LOS. MSU has been ringing responsibly since the ACTUAL new rule went into place. no?

Leroy Jenkins
06-03-2018, 10:54 AM
If this is true, it is actually more permissive than what we have now. If you can ring until the center touches the ball that's more advantageous to us than the current rule of when the center is over the ball.

IMissJack
06-03-2018, 10:58 AM
If this is true, it is actually more permissive than what we have now. If you can ring until the center touches the ball that's more advantageous to us than the current rule of when the center is over the ball.

Exactly, while the center is looking around before he puts his hand on the ball gives the crowd a few more seconds of ringing IMO.

Jack Lambert
06-03-2018, 11:34 AM
Changes nothing for us. That is what we do.

Lord McBuckethead
06-03-2018, 11:35 AM
Cowbells are not artificial noise. They are a mechanical noise.

Liverpooldawg
06-03-2018, 11:36 AM

That's what we already do, and that's a liberalization of the rule actually.

Lord McBuckethead
06-03-2018, 11:36 AM
Might as well stop clapping. It's unfortunate for the fans that do not have hands.

ShotgunDawg
06-03-2018, 11:43 AM

Two things are incredible to me about other SEC fan bases

1. This never comes up unless MSU is winning games

2. It's amazing to me how uneducated other SEC fan bases, you included Token, are on the cowbell rules & how uneducated the media is on the cowbell rules. Since Cowbells have been allowed back in the stadium, 8 years ago or so, MSU fans have been very disciplined when they ring. The school has strictly enforced cowbells only being rung until the the other team approaches the LOS. It's is easily heard on TV that the noise changes from Cowbell to voices when the opposing team breaks the huddle.

The new cowbell rule is actually laxed from what MSU was already enforcing but for some reason other SEC fan bases & the media aren't able to actually grasp the facts of this. Other than a more electric atmosphere between plays & in pregame, the cowbell offers absolutely no advantage.

ShotgunDawg
06-03-2018, 11:48 AM
Here you go Token, tell me if you hear any Cowbell in this video. This entire video, except after scores, is after the teams approach the LOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaMhZmTPiFU

Dawgbite
06-03-2018, 11:53 AM
There is always "that" guy in every section who thinks the rules don't apply to him or is too drunk to see the line of scrimmage. In our section that guy is Jake. Will this give the officials the inclination to throw a flag and penalize the team? Time will tell.

ShotgunDawg
06-03-2018, 11:56 AM
There is always "that" guy in every section who thinks the rules don't apply to him or is too drunk to see the line of scrimmage. In our section that guy is Jake. Will this give the officials the inclination to throw a flag and penalize the team? Time will tell.

I'm sure every section in the SEC has that guy.

The cowbells aren't an issue & provide no advantage. It's just singled out because other fan bases have no clue what they are talking about

Ari Gold
06-03-2018, 12:06 PM
Maybe we should just pump noise thru the sound system.. rollllllllllllllllll tide

TUSK
06-03-2018, 12:12 PM
Yeah, this is much ado about nuttin', IMO...

I've been to DW a few times since the "Ring Responsibly" Campaign was implemented... "Cowbell Discipline" has, for the most part, has been good. MSU fans have already been doing this...

What I don't understand is why there are exceptions to the "artificial noisemakers" rule, at all.

BuckyIsAB****
06-03-2018, 12:30 PM

if anything that helps us. its funny how its a problem when we start winning but its no big deal when we suck.

kiss my ass

Bully13
06-03-2018, 12:33 PM
If I were a fan of a team that played MSU on a regular basis, I'd hate cowbells. But I ain't so there. Cowbells Rock.

Token Bammer
06-03-2018, 12:34 PM
Two things are incredible to me about other SEC fan bases

1. This never comes up unless MSU is winning games

2. It's amazing to me how uneducated other SEC fan bases, you included Token, are on the cowbell rules & how uneducated the media is on the cowbell rules. Since Cowbells have been allowed back in the stadium, 8 years ago or so, MSU fans have been very disciplined when they ring. The school has strictly enforced cowbells only being rung until the the other team approaches the LOS. It's is easily heard on TV that the noise changes from Cowbell to voices when the opposing team breaks the huddle.

The new cowbell rule is actually laxed from what MSU was already enforcing but for some reason other SEC fan bases & the media aren't able to actually grasp the facts of this. Other than a more electric atmosphere between plays & in pregame, the cowbell offers absolutely no advantage.

I never said anything about the rule or what I understood of it, Shotgun. I was just passing along an article with info about a new rule. Honestly, I don't think it changes a thing for you guys. Like a few others have said, it may even allow more bell ringing if anything. Ring away imo.

I'm totally fine with the cowbells. I actually think it's a cool tradition and hope you guys continue to do it. It makes State all the more a unique place to play. To be honest, I'll be wearing the same earbuds I wear at the gun range next time I come watch a football game in Starkville. Lol.

As far as traditions go - Cowbell is great. You could roll trees (or clotheslines) with toilet paper and that would be....well....all-barn. Nuff said.

Token Bammer
06-03-2018, 12:35 PM
Maybe we should just pump noise thru the sound system.. rollllllllllllllllll tide

You must talking about AU. BAMA does not do this and would be ridiculous if we did. AU on the other hand, they are known for doing it.

BuckyIsAB****
06-03-2018, 12:36 PM
I'm sure every section in the SEC has that guy.

The cowbells aren't an issue & provide no advantage. It's just singled out because other fan bases have no clue what they are talking about

I think its def an advantage and it should be. We've been doing it right ringing till the center goes over the ball, and then immediately after the ball is snapped.

If this is true it gives us more time to ring, as already said.

Tbonewannabe
06-03-2018, 12:40 PM
Yeah, this is much ado about nuttin', IMO...

I've been to DW a few times since the "Ring Responsibly" Campaign was implemented... "Cowbell Discipline" has, for the most part, has been good. MSU fans have already been doing this...

What I don't understand is why there are exceptions to the "artificial noisemakers" rule, at all.

We have cowbells where pretty much everyone else just pumps crowd noise through the speakers, including Bama. I guess they have to blame something on a program crawling up from the bottom.

TUSK
06-03-2018, 12:58 PM
We have cowbells where pretty much everyone else just pumps crowd noise through the speakers, including Bama. I guess they have to blame something on a program crawling up from the bottom.

The loudspeakers thing at bammer is relatively recent (I'm like old n shite)...

And, for the record, I don't believe the cowbells have been a discernible advantage for MSU vs Bammer over the years... They're just annoying... But, I'd imagine the loud elephant trumpet sound and Bear's voice over the BD sound system are similarly annoying to visiting fans...

edit - spellin'

Tbonewannabe
06-03-2018, 01:06 PM

And, for the record, I don't believe the cowbells have been a dercenable advantage for MSU vs Bammer over the years... They're just annoying... But, I'd imagine the loud elephant trumpet sound and Bear's voice over the BD sound system are similarly annoying to visiting fans...

Everyone has something that is annoying to other fans. The game I went to in Tuscaloosa, the speakers weren't very noticeable unless you were close to where they were. I know Jackie mentioned Tennessee was really bad about it back in the day.

Bully13
06-03-2018, 01:35 PM
I do remember back in the day when we were not required to ring responsibly, our PA guy would blast cowbell thru the speakers sometimes and you could not speak to the person next to you when he did it.

BuckyIsAB****
06-03-2018, 01:39 PM

And, for the record, I don't believe the cowbells have been a discernible advantage for MSU vs Bammer over the years... They're just annoying... But, I'd imagine the loud elephant trumpet sound and Bear's voice over the BD sound system are similarly annoying to visiting fans...

edit - spellin'

Good point. I actually like the rooster at south carolina

TUSK
06-03-2018, 02:52 PM
Good point. I actually like the rooster at south carolina

I'm down with the Cocky Crow... and the Elephant Trumpet... Y'all should pipe in some Dawg Woofin' on Defensive 3rd Downs...

Bully13
06-03-2018, 02:54 PM
I'm down with the Cocky Crow... and the Elephant Trumpet... Y'all should pipe in some Dawg Woofin' on Defensive 3rd Downs...

That's actually a good idea. shoulda thought about that myself.

Bothrops
06-03-2018, 03:48 PM
Cowbells will be banned again once JoMo starts winning more games than he's allowed to.

Liverpooldawg
06-03-2018, 03:58 PM
You must talking about AU. BAMA does not do this and would be ridiculous if we did. AU on the other hand, they are known for doing it.

Oh, so y'all have a real elephant there then. That must be one LARGE elephant.

TUSK
06-03-2018, 04:16 PM

No. It's a recording of Micro-Teacup Elephant on an MP3, iPod doohicky...

HereComesTheSpiral
06-03-2018, 04:29 PM
[/B]
Everyone has something that is annoying to other fans. The game I went to in Tuscaloosa, the speakers weren't very noticeable unless you were close to where they were. I know Jackie mentioned Tennessee was really bad about it back in the day.

Calling the hogs, wanted to blast my damn brains out after the fifth time hearing that shit last year

BuckyIsAB****
06-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Cowbells will be banned again once JoMo starts winning more games than he's allowed to.

not like thats ever stopped us before

TUSK
06-03-2018, 04:36 PM
Calling the hogs, wanted to blast my damn brains out after the fifth time hearing that shit last year

I see your "Hog Callin'", and raise you "Rocky Top" (after every 1st Down)...

Tbonewannabe
06-03-2018, 05:04 PM

And I raise you "Hotty Toddy", the gayest cheer in sports, not that there is anything wrong with that. I guess it is better than Shep Smith sex noises.

Bully13
06-03-2018, 06:17 PM
And I raise you "Hotty Toddy", the gayest cheer in sports, not that there is anything wrong with that. I guess it is better than Shep Smith sex noises.

Hotty Toddy is hands down the gayest of all. And in THEIR case, There IS something wrong with it.

Liverpooldawg
06-03-2018, 07:58 PM

Actually an old airborne chant. It's only gay the way THEY do it.

Goldendawg
06-03-2018, 08:23 PM
I was at State when crybaby Shug Jordan couldn't take a loss to us and led the motion to a 9-1 vote to ban our cowbells. It never stopped me from smuggling in my bell and ringing it every year since. I have rung it in some fashion from undergrad to my present age of 63. I have learned to ring responsibly along with my now 17 year old son. It is now a somewhat accepted SEC tradition known nationwide. I expect it to now always stay in some "regulated" form or fashion! Hail State!

Token Bammer
06-03-2018, 08:30 PM

Haha. I didn't think the elephant noise was what you guys meant. Yes, we do the elephant from time to time. It helps to get the crowd going.

AU actually pipes in crowd noise during their games to help make their crowd seem louder than it really is and that's just ridiculous. That's what I was referring to.

Token Bammer
06-03-2018, 08:34 PM

I see your Rocky Top and raise you OU's fight song. It seems like they play the dang thing between every play. It's enough to drive a man bonkers. But for the SEC, Rocky Top has to be at or near the top.

To Tbone, Hotty Toddy is just dumb. Can't stand it.

Goldendawg
06-03-2018, 09:20 PM
I see your Rocky Top and raise you OU's fight song. It seems like they play the dang thing between every play. It's enough to drive a man bonkers. But for the SEC, Rocky Top has to be at or near the top.

To Tbone, Hotty Toddy is just dumb. Can't stand it.

Three reasons AU, Tenn, & Fl wear orange: 1. Can hunt in it on Sat. 2. Can go to church in it on Sun. 3. Can pick up trash for their state's Dept of Corrections on Mon. I can't stand anything about all three. Hail State!

sandwolf
06-03-2018, 11:11 PM
....my present age of 63. I have learned to ring responsibly along with my now 17 year old son.

Damn, you had a kid at 46? Impressive.....I hope you are either wealthy or enjoy working.

Goldendawg
06-03-2018, 11:45 PM
Damn, you had a kid at 46? Impressive.....I hope you are either wealthy or enjoy working.

Also have a 33 year old daughter and two grandsons, soon to be 3 and 5. A "child in your older years is a blessing". He went to his first Bulldog gathering at 2 months of age and has been a hardcore dawg all his life. Hail State!