PDA

View Full Version : Mike Martin FSU head coach after the game on Parrish...

Dawg61
06-02-2018, 08:55 PM
Martin also stated in postgame press conference that regarding the handling of Parrish he would do it all over again, the same way.

Yikes, I'd rather our coach be sexting some strange than putting a starter back in after he'd already thrown 115 pitches and there was a 2.5 hour rain delay. That was some 1970's garbage treatment of a player that should be criminal in today's game. If I am a parent of a pitcher I would never let them sniff FSU with him there.

Bulldog1
06-02-2018, 09:00 PM
Could you imagine if Henderson did that? Martin deserved to lose. That's an idiotic move.

Dawg61
06-02-2018, 09:04 PM
Florida State Press Conference Quotes

Head Coach, Mike Martin Opening Statement:

“I can’t say enough about our baseball team. The way they competed all year and for us to lose in the manner that we did, you don’t even think about anything except it’s baseball. They hadn’t made contact on his change-up all day long. He had dominated, he made a great pitch and it got hit out of the ballpark. It is something you just have to look at and say that’s baseball. Well that’s baseball. It doesn’t make it any easier, it’s just the great game that we play can be cruel and this one was certainly cruel. Tip my hat to Mississippi State they did a great job. I can’t say enough about Drew Parrish. You look at the numbers that he put up today, eight and two third, seven strikeouts. I don’t think they got a man to third base until the last hit of the game. Baseball. It hurts guys, ladies, it hurts. Good lord willing, I’ll see the sun come up tomorrow, life will go on but this one hurt.”

On the decision to keep Drew Parrish in:

“Drew Parrish is not planning to pitch anywhere this summer. He is going to go home and rest. We wanted him to have the ball because he wanted the ball. His teammates wanted him to have the ball and if I had to do it over again, I would make the same decision.”

On using so many relievers yesterday factor his decision:

“I think mainly we were looking at the overall tournament. We were looking at hopefully winning this game and then having (Clayton) Kwiatkowski and CJ (Van Eyk) and others available tomorrow if we were going to have the opportunity to play two games. There was a lot going through our mind when we made the decision, which as I said I would make again.”

On Parrish’s consistency and his first loss of the season:

“He was holding up very well in the clubhouse because he knew he pitched beautifully. He absolutely dominated that club for eight and two-thirds innings and it’s just one of those things as a coach you have to learn to live with it. As hard as it is as much as it hurts it happens many times during the course of a baseball season. You look at football games that are won or lost on hail marys, you can look at basketball games in the way that they’re
won in playoff season and you can look at baseball games and say what if. This was one of those games where you tip your hat to the other club.”

On if he consider walking out and speaking with Parrish after the walks:

“No. Drew knows exactly what he is doing. He was in total control of the situation. To me, that wasn’t anything, there was nothing that I could do. If he would’ve gone ball one, ball two, ball three that would’ve been a different story. He made a very good pitch and the guy happened to do a great job of hitting it. It was low and away.

On what you have to do to get over these sort of things:

“It’s just something that you can’t do. You make decisions that you feel you would make again. I think that’s the key and I’d make the same decision again. Now I have made decisions that didn’t work out that I said ‘golly I wish I had done that differently’ but not this time, not this time. I went into the clubhouse during the delay and Mike Bell had done an unbelievable job of keeping him ready. They were throwing every 15 minutes to keep his arm active. There was no real problem, there was no real issue whatsoever with him being ready to pitch. As I was leaving the clubhouse, not one but at least five guys said ‘is Parrish going back out?’ They had the person that they wanted. We had the person that we wanted and if we had to do it over again, it’d be the same person on the mound.”

Bully13
06-02-2018, 09:08 PM
Yikes, I'd rather our coach be sexting some strange than putting a starter back in after he'd already thrown 115 pitches and there was a 2.5 hour rain delay. That was some 1970's garbage treatment of a player that should be criminal in today's game. If I am a parent of a pitcher I would never let them sniff FSU with him there.

Did that really happen? I've never heard of anything like that. Once the rain delay happened, I tuned out in pu$$y fashion thinking all was lost. 115 pitches and a 2 hr rain delay and brings dude back on the hill? LMFAO!!

shoeless joe
06-02-2018, 09:09 PM
Martining

I'm usually the first to defend a coach's decision when brought under fire by the message board baseball geniuses...but this cannot be defended. Tryin to put myself in his shoes all I can even remotely think would come into play is that he's trying to allow the kid to finish off a great game. I'm not saying that was the smart or correct move but I could almost see it being the "players coach" move...almost.

But even then Parrish gave him two opportunities to pull him and not give him a chance to suffer the loss even if he got a ND. it was bad all the way around.

On another note he did to us, for 8 innings, exactly what pigott did to them down there in 07...good thing we didn't have a rain delay

I seen it dawg
06-02-2018, 09:12 PM
Thanks mike

yjnkdawg
06-02-2018, 09:13 PM
Could you imagine if Henderson did that? Martin deserved to lose. That's an idiotic move.

We don't even have any pitchers, in that type of condition, who could pitch that many pitches and even consider being back on the field after the delay. Henderson bringing Self back, with the pitch count he had, did not hurt him. It's unusual to do that, after that long of a delay, but it worked for us.

Bully13
06-02-2018, 09:13 PM
Kinda a downer now. I was thinking it was all skill on our part. Little did I know that our opponent's dumbassedry played such a big role.

shoeless joe
06-02-2018, 09:17 PM
And I hate to tell Martin, but it was not a good pitch. It was a change up that was left up and rite down the pipe. He'd had the same sequence most of the day. Get ahead, elevate fastball, changeup down. Exactly what he did to macnamee and he was waiting on it. But even then, if he had executed the pitch down it's not a homer. Most likely a take and ball two and possible a week grounder.

yjnkdawg
06-02-2018, 09:23 PM
DELETE

Todd4State
06-02-2018, 09:23 PM
And I hate to tell Martin, but it was not a good pitch. It was a change up that was left up and rite down the pipe. He'd had the same sequence most of the day. Get ahead, elevate fastball, changeup down. Exactly what he did to macnamee and he was waiting on it. But even then, if he had executed the pitch down it's not a homer. Most likely a take and ball two and possible a week grounder.

"Good pitches don't go that far"- Casey Stengel to a pitcher who allowed a home run and told him it was a good pitch while Stengel was pulling him out of the game.

tireddawg
06-02-2018, 09:24 PM
That was not a good pitch, was not low and away, and had little movement. It was a great pitch for Macnamee.

Todd4State
06-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Coaches have to be more careful with pitchers in this era because of the Tommy John awareness. An injury after doing what Martin did could open the school up to a lawsuit.

What Martin did was totally negligent in my opinion.

msstate7
06-02-2018, 09:33 PM
Coaches have to be more careful with pitchers in this era because of the Tommy John awareness. An injury after doing what Martin did could open the school up to a lawsuit.

Absolutely it was. Totally selfish move by a coach on his way out

Bulldog1
06-02-2018, 09:36 PM

Absolutely it was. Totally selfish move by a coach on his way out
I agree.

yjnkdawg
06-02-2018, 09:37 PM
Kinda a downer now. I was thinking it was all skill on our part. Little did I know that our opponent's dumbassedry played such a big role.

LOL You have got to be kidding? We had two outs, in the bottom of the ninth, and Mac had two strikes on him, and he was trying to prolong our season. I believe it was an 0-2 count (not sure on that), and he hit a 3 run home run. He said in the interview he was just trying to do what he could for his team to help keep the season going. a single, a double anything. Mac was probably the only player who could have accomplished that. I was glad when he had an opportunity to bat.

Pit Bull
06-02-2018, 09:37 PM
Maybe one of the reasons FSU has never brought all the goods back to Hassee' after a ton of CWS appearances.

TUSK
06-02-2018, 09:38 PM
#PLM

Dawg61
06-02-2018, 09:44 PM
#PLM

I expect you to be kneeling in front of your tv tomorrow right before the game now.

Homedawg
06-02-2018, 09:53 PM
Coach Mike Martin is an outstanding, and well respected, college baseball coach, and a high class individual. He would not do anything to jeopardize the future, the health or the well being of his players.
Did you leave off these**** cause he did today.

Dawgcap
06-02-2018, 09:57 PM
We are discussing their pitching decisions and we may lead the nation in Tommy John surgeries the last 2 years

Todd4State
06-02-2018, 09:59 PM
We are discussing their pitching decisions and we may lead the nation in Tommy John surgeries the last 2 years

At least that coach isn't here anymore.

msstate7
06-02-2018, 10:00 PM

I didn't like leaving self out there either. I melted pretty hard on sps. Martin's move was worse, but Henderson's was bad too imo. Self is coming off injury and hasn't been pitching effectively again until just recently. He's essentially now pitched 3 times in a little over 24 hours

Bulldog1
06-02-2018, 10:02 PM

Exactly. If my coach did that, I'd want him fired. Just boneheaded.

Dawgcap
06-02-2018, 10:03 PM
Has Martin endangered his pitchers in the past? I get your point but I just wonder if they are that pitcher unfriendly as some think he is. I don’t know just asking.

yjnkdawg
06-02-2018, 10:35 PM

Yep he did. I just deleted the post after I thought more about what happened, and then I heard something in Seminole Land and I have changed my opinion altogether.

Dawgcap
06-02-2018, 10:39 PM
Yep he did. I just deleted the post after I thought more about what happened, and then I heard something in Seminole Land and I have changed my opinion altogether.

Sounds like I got my answer also. I just wondered if this has been an issue over the years.

yjnkdawg
06-02-2018, 10:48 PM
I didn't like leaving self out there either. I melted pretty hard on sps. Martin's move was worse, but Henderson's was bad too imo. Self is coming off injury and hasn't been pitching effectively again until just recently. He's essentially now pitched 3 times in a little over 24 hours

What Henderson did with Self normally doesn't work, but it did in this case. With the pitch count, he had prior to the delay, and hopefully planning that he would not pitch a high pitch count in the ninth inning, I don't think that had any ill effect on him. Now if we had tied the game and gone into extra innings, and he was still in the game, that could be a different story. IMO. Yeah pitching Self when he did in the OK game was a head scratching move to say the least.

yjnkdawg
06-02-2018, 10:53 PM
Sounds like I got my answer also. I just wondered if this has been an issue over the years.

I can't help you on that one, but if it had been a major issue in his tenure as their coach, I believe something would have come out in the media on it. Seems like the local media is not too happy with the Parrish situation.

Dawgcap
06-02-2018, 11:27 PM
That’s what I was asking. I just wondered if Martin is known to overpitxh and injure his pitchers. It’s always a wrong decision if it doesn’t work out but I wondered if he has damaged pitchers arms by overthrowing them. After 40 years I think there might be issues with a fan base I’m not in tune with.

TUSK
06-03-2018, 12:22 PM
I expect you to be kneeling in front of your tv tomorrow right before the game now.

Hell, No... Not enough... Imagonna loot and burn a liquor store, then get a new 50" flatscreen in defense of oppressed ulnar collateral ligaments, err where...***

Todd4State
06-03-2018, 05:18 PM
Has Martin endangered his pitchers in the past? I get your point but I just wonder if they are that pitcher unfriendly as some think he is. I don’t know just asking.

Yes. Apparently he did the same thing to Richie Lewis back in the day who was a FSU ace.

Dawgcap
06-03-2018, 06:17 PM
Yes. Apparently he did the same thing to Richie Lewis back in the day who was a FSU ace.

Hell 30 years ago that damage was probably done by little league and high school coaches. The man has coached 40 years at 1 school but yet no fire except for this weekend.