PDA

View Full Version : Now that pitching is getting thin.............

Pit Bull
06-02-2018, 07:47 PM
....is there any reason we can't use Jake on the mound". Didn't Cohen use him his freshman year at times and just shuffled the lineup around so as not to take his bat out of the lineup? Seems like I remember him hitting about 90-92 on his fastball, had a decent slider, and some good changeups. I don't remember him pitching any the last 2 years unless I just missed it. Hey, if he still has it, we may have to use him some to give us some innings at critical junctures. Maybe put Jordan in CF and use the DH as our wild card to make the moves.

Jack Lambert
06-02-2018, 07:52 PM
I think we only have three that has been used up. Hell majority the ones put in Friday got taken out.

KOdawg1
06-02-2018, 07:53 PM
I think we only have three that has been used up. Hell majority the ones put in Friday got taken out.

Exactly. We have arms to use. They just aren't good ones.

Jack Lambert
06-02-2018, 07:57 PM
Exactly. We have arms to use. They just aren't good ones.

I suspect the team with the deepest and best pitching staff is gone. I feel pretty good going forwards this week end.

Pit Bull
06-02-2018, 07:57 PM

Yeah they all threw a little batting practice in that one inning.....but what about Mangum....am I remembering this right that Cohen pitched him some as a freshman and he did pretty well for the most part? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Irondawg
06-02-2018, 08:09 PM
Yes Mangum pitched some a few years back. As I recall he asked to stop pitching to focus solely on hitting. I’m sure we could use him in a pinch though

ScoobaDawg
06-02-2018, 08:14 PM
Yeah they all threw a little batting practice in that one inning.....but what about Mangum....am I remembering this right that Cohen pitched him some as a freshman and he did pretty well for the most part? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Wrong year. wrong coach. it was last year under cann. he pitched 6 times, 5 starts. 15.1 innings over 6 era

Pit Bull
06-02-2018, 08:21 PM
Yes Mangum pitched some a few years back. As I recall he asked to stop pitching to focus solely on hitting. I’m sure we could use him in a pinch though

My mind keeps wrassling with this and for some reason, we had a player, maybe the year before Jake, and he went by the initials JT.....cant remember his last name, but everybody called him JT. And I think he played CF also before Mangum got here....and he was a very good pitcher as well. I believe Cohen would shuffle the lineup to get him in to pitch some, but would move him back to CF if his throwing went to shit. He could bring it also in the low 90's and was pretty effective. Sucks my gray moments cant keep up with Diamond Dog Ball!!

Bulldog1
06-02-2018, 08:22 PM
My mind keeps wrassling with this and for some reason, we had a player, maybe the year before Jake, and he went by the initials JT.....cant remember his last name, but everybody called him JT. And I think he played CF also before Mangum got here....and he was a very good pitcher as well. I believe Cohen would shuffle the lineup to get him in to pitch some, but would move him back to CF if his throwing went to shit. He could bring it also in the low 90's and was pretty effective. Sucks my gray moments cant keep up with Diamond Dog Ball!!
I believe You're talking about CT Bradford.

Pit Bull
06-02-2018, 08:27 PM
I believe You're talking about CT Bradford.

Yessirrr....you got it right!!! I liked CT.....not a big guy, but a big player!! Scrappy of a player as I have ever seen! Thankyou!!

yjnkdawg
06-02-2018, 09:00 PM
....is there any reason we can't use Jake on the mound". Didn't Cohen use him his freshman year at times and just shuffled the lineup around so as not to take his bat out of the lineup? Seems like I remember him hitting about 90-92 on his fastball, had a decent slider, and some good changeups. I don't remember him pitching any the last 2 years unless I just missed it. Hey, if he still has it, we may have to use him some to give us some innings at critical junctures. Maybe put Jordan in CF and use the DH as our wild card to make the moves.

Hopefully we won't have to go that route and pitch Mangum, and just let him do his thing outside of pitching. We should have enough arms available although some may not have pitched in SEC games the deeper we go in the tourney. However our opponent(s) should be basically in the same boat on pitching availability.

MetEdDawg
06-02-2018, 09:41 PM
We need Billingsley to go as long as he can tomorrow. Realistically we have to hope we can get 6. Then piece it together hopefully with France and Self.

Game 4 would be McQuary and we can probably only realistically get 5 from him. I think we need to consider using James/Marsh to back up McQuary because we are going to have to Johnny All Pen it for Game 5 if we get there. Throw Blake Smith or maybe Cole and pray like hell

If we get to Game 5, I start Mangum on the mound. Put Poole in CF and see if you can get 1-2 innings from Mangum. Then you only burn Poole when you put Mangum in CF and there's a chance Poole doesn't even get to bat. Then you use France, Self, Pilk for the rest of the game. They may have to hit once, but it should work out a few times where a pitching change will occur at the same time they come up in the lineup, so use Vansau, whoever out of Foscue, Westburg, or Hatcher starts on the bench (because a pitcher subs in we kill the DH) then Anderson to PH.

Dawgcap
Well Keegan James came out of Oklahoma with a lot of confidence.

Todd4State
If it were me I would definitely go with Keegan again out of the bullpen first if JB doesn't have the game of his life.

Todd4State
06-02-2018, 09:43 PM
We need Billingsley to go as long as he can tomorrow. Realistically we have to hope we can get 6. Then piece it together hopefully with France and Self.

Game 4 would be McQuary and we can probably only realistically get 5 from him. I think we need to consider using Marsh to back up McQuary because we are going to have to Johnny All Pen it for Game 5 if we get there. Throw Blake Smith or maybe Cole and pray like hell

If we get to Game 5, I start Mangum on the mound. Put Poole in CF and see if you can get 1-2 innings from Mangum. Then you only burn Poole when you put Mangum in CF and there's a chance Poole doesn't even get to bat. Then you use France, Self, Pilk for the rest of the game. They may have to hit once, but it should work out a few times where a pitching change will occur at the same time they come up in the lineup, so use Vansau, then Anderson to PH.

I think I would try Cole Marsh starting game five instead of Mangum.

Dawgcap
06-02-2018, 09:44 PM
That’s my point. After the debacle on Friday we may have a guy ready to show out. An unfortunate blessing if you will

MetEdDawg
06-02-2018, 09:50 PM

I would consider it too. Only reason I wouldn't is because of how big the moment is. You know Mangum will compete and won't be scared of the pressure.

Marsh could go a lot longer. Chance to get 3-4 out of him. I wouldn't be opposed to that

Dawg61
06-02-2018, 10:03 PM

Game 4 would be McQuary and we can probably only realistically get 5 from him. I think we need to consider using James/Marsh to back up McQuary because we are going to have to Johnny All Pen it for Game 5 if we get there. Throw Blake Smith or maybe Cole and pray like hell

If we get to Game 5, I start Mangum on the mound. Put Poole in CF and see if you can get 1-2 innings from Mangum. Then you only burn Poole when you put Mangum in CF and there's a chance Poole doesn't even get to bat. Then you use France, Self, Pilk for the rest of the game. They may have to hit once, but it should work out a few times where a pitching change will occur at the same time they come up in the lineup, so use Vansau, whoever out of Foscue, Westburg, or Hatcher starts on the bench (because a pitcher subs in we kill the DH) then Anderson to PH.

Wut, Keegan James only threw 20 pitches and he looked electric. Mangum doesn't need to sniff the mound.

Dawg61
06-02-2018, 10:06 PM
I feel pretty good going forwards this week end.

I don't. Oklahoma appears to be miss seeded to me. They are very good for a #3 seed.

yjnkdawg
06-02-2018, 10:09 PM

Agree

Quaoarsking
06-02-2018, 10:56 PM

Unless there's a college-specific quirk that I don't know about, starting Mangum and moving him to CF will mean no more DH for the rest of the game. So every reliever we put in after Mangum would either have to bat or be pinch-hit for.

Alternatively, I believe college rules allow for the pitcher to also be the DH, and when the pitcher gets replaced, he can stay the DH.

ScoobaDawg
06-02-2018, 11:01 PM
Unless there's a college-specific quirk that I don't know about, starting Mangum and moving him to CF will mean no more DH for the rest of the game. So every reliever we put in after Mangum would either have to bat or be pinch-hit for.

Alternatively, I believe college rules allow for the pitcher to also be the DH, and when the pitcher gets replaced, he can stay the DH.

That is correct

MetEdDawg
06-02-2018, 11:54 PM

Like I said, it would kill the DH. But if we are swapping pitchers every 2-3 innings we would have PH opportunities for the pitchers.

Your 2nd paragraph I'm not sure about. That would make life a lot easier and not have to worry about it but I'm not sure honestly. If true, then that solves the problem.

The Federalist Engineer
06-03-2018, 02:19 AM
I don't. Oklahoma appears to be miss seeded to me. They are very good for a #3 seed.

Looking at OU results and stats, they are great at home and with Irvin and Wilkes on the mound. Their pitching depth is what brought them down to a 3 seed. After those two pitchers they have people with not great stats.

We gotta play one game at a time but bearing OU is not as hard as beating USM twice in Hattiesburg was last year.

We both are on the road, there is no Sandlin and their two best field players are still out

Also God may be on our side tomorrow and cancel our night game. Let us play a double header with OU on Monday.

MarketingBully
06-03-2018, 02:49 AM
I watched the Henderson press conference and imo I have a hunch he will make the right pitching staff moves tomorrow. He did a great job today with his decisions on the mound. He now has a win or go home mentality (finally). He explained his decision making against Oklahoma as he thought he would have a lot of games left this weekend so that’s why he picked the pitchers he did (horrible decisions btw). Now I think he will have quick hooks and will actually go with hot hands to get us through one pitch and one inning at a time. Maybe it takes for his back to be against the wall before the old man makes logical bullpen decisions.