PDA

View Full Version : Does McNamee now join Masters in the lore of MSU-FSU baseball?.....

maroonmania
06-02-2018, 05:13 PM
I bet FSU fans really hate seeing us on their regional schedule.

Todd4State
06-02-2018, 06:42 PM
No only because Masters grand slam was in the regional championship game.

Todd4State
06-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Today was a great moment though. No question about that.

msbulldog
06-02-2018, 06:46 PM
Made my day better, Hail State!

Dawg61
06-02-2018, 06:48 PM
McNamee's HR was awesome! Top 10 baseball moment for me no doubt

DownwardDawg
06-02-2018, 06:49 PM
It was pretty awesome!!!!

cujo
06-02-2018, 06:55 PM
McNamee's HR was awesome! Top 10 baseball moment for me no doubt

It was the winners bracket game on saturday. FSU came back through the losers bracket and won twice on sunday, including something like 11-9 over us to force a winner take all game on memorial day. Bobby Reed came in late relief on two days rest to close it. Raffo hit a screaming double into the right field corner to tie it at 3 and then Shave singled him home to win it.

yjnkdawg
06-02-2018, 06:56 PM
Maybe but I have to agree with Todd. I was at that 1990 tourney. Got to see all the games. I got to talk with some BYU people, and an assistant coach, the afternoon before we played them that night. The BYU coach said they were amazed when they arrived and saw the afternoon crowd. I told him wait until tonight's game to see a crowd. That tourney was one memorable MSU athletic event

Brandon Walker
06-02-2018, 06:56 PM
It was in the winner's bracket game on Saturday. We played FSU again Sunday night and lost, then won on Monday afternoon to win the regional.

That's an all-time moment, probably the all-time moment for MSU baseball, but the moment here was possibly bigger. Down to our final strike with the season on the line.

Todd4State
06-02-2018, 07:11 PM
It was in the winner's bracket game on Saturday. We played FSU again Sunday night and lost, then won on Monday afternoon to win the regional.

That's an all-time moment, probably the all-time moment for MSU baseball, but the moment here was possibly bigger. Down to our final strike with the season on the line.

I disagree. Masters home run was still deeper in the regional and we were also facing elimination as well.

That was also pre- Super Regionals and MSU/FSU during that time period would have been about the equivalent of a SR today.

Saltydog
06-02-2018, 07:16 PM
couple of runs....Had he not caught that ball, the HR may not have mattered anyway....

Dawg61
06-02-2018, 07:24 PM
couple of runs...??.Had he not caught that ball, the HR may not have mattered anyway...?..

Haha so true. He forgot how many outs there were right before that catch too and got doubled up at 2nd. Maybe he should pull a JR Smith again. McNamee had one eventful game. Hope he gets a full recording of the day to show everyone who ever comes into his home. "Here watch this before you speak to me".

Brandon Walker
06-02-2018, 07:26 PM
It was the winner's bracket game. I dunno if McNamee's HR is in Masters' class, but all of your reasons are incorrect.

ScoobaDawg
06-02-2018, 07:31 PM
Today was a great moment though. No question about that.

exactly.. it was a memorable win for us.. but unless we win 3 more.. it won't mean anything in history

shoeless joe
06-02-2018, 08:26 PM
I disagree. Masters home run was still deeper in the regional and we were also facing elimination as well.

That was also pre- Super Regionals and MSU/FSU during that time period would have been about the equivalent of a SR today.

It was the winners bracket game so we were not facing elimination. Also, we lost to FSU the next day, our first loss, and won the only elimination game we played in the regional to go to Omaha.

Todd4State
06-02-2018, 08:33 PM
It was the winner's bracket game. I dunno if McNamee's HR is in Masters' class, but all of your reasons are incorrect.

Not the part about Masters being the equivalent of hitting one in a SR at that time.

At any rate 20 years from now Masters home run will still be shown in our highlight videos on the scoreboard. I don't think MacNamee's will be shown as much or will be remembered by fans as much down the line.

Todd4State
06-02-2018, 08:34 PM
It was the winners bracket game so we were not facing elimination. Also, we lost to FSU the next day, our first loss, and won the only elimination game we played in the regional to go to Omaha.

Got it.

Todd4State
06-02-2018, 08:35 PM
exactly.. it was a memorable win for us.. but unless we win 3 more.. it won't mean anything in history

I do agree that how this team finishes the regional will affect the impact of the home run. If it creates enough momentum that we somehow get out of the regional and win it- it becomes a lot bigger.

Homedawg
06-02-2018, 08:47 PM
Mcnamee’s is equal to vickerson’s Against fla in the super. We lost the next day and now unless you go to you tube looking for it, you’d never know it happened. Now if we win the regional it will be more important obviously

Bully13
06-02-2018, 08:54 PM

unfortunately you are right. Gotta advance before it becomes legendary. Right now it does feel legendary though.

shoeless joe
06-02-2018, 09:02 PM
I do agree that how this team finishes the regional will affect the impact of the home run. If it creates enough momentum that we somehow get out of the regional and win it- it becomes a lot bigger.

Agreed. Win the regional and it becomes legendary. Down to our last strike to come all the way back to win. Hopefully we will be having that debate.

Bully13
06-02-2018, 09:03 PM
Thread hijack. Anybody remember that game in Vegas when we beat Washington to advance and Tracey Echols climbed the foul poll ladder and started waving the towel around way up high in celebration? I remember being there for that. I also remember when we kicked MI's ass when they had Larkin and Sabo. I was like 16 or so and got reprimanded by a NCAA official for being an asshole. We jacked back to back homers on them and I had such a hard on I decided to go to the MI dugout and ring my cowbell at them. hard and for too long of a time. I had issues like that growing up. NCAA dude told me to chill or he was taking my cowbell. I'm lucky Larkin and Co didn't step out and whip my ass. I prolly would have deserved it. Glad I'm older now and can look back and frown on my childish assholeitus. Sometimes alcohol makes assholeitus return. Gotta keep that shit in check.

Todd4State
06-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Mcnamee?s is equal to vickerson?s Against fla in the super. We lost the next day and now unless you go to you tube looking for it, you?d never know it happened. Now if we win the regional it will be more important obviously

To me, it's more like around the area of Ty Martin and Travis Chapman's home runs against Notre Dame in the 2000 Regional and slightly below Vickerson. I would rate Vickerson's higher because it was a SR.

A big reason why Masters home run is iconic is because it helped us get to Omaha.

Homedawg
06-02-2018, 09:50 PM
To me, it's more like around the area of Ty Martin and Travis Chapman's home runs against Notre Dame in the 2000 Regional and slightly below Vickerson. I would rate Vickerson's higher because it was a SR.

A big reason why Masters home run is iconic is because it helped us get to Omaha.

Agree w the sr vs regional part. My point is, nobody talks about vickerson’s and they won’t talk about this one either- unless we pull a miracle.

The Federalist Engineer
06-03-2018, 02:32 AM
I bet FSU fans really hate seeing us on their regional schedule.

Yes- if we win the regional and Super Regional after this

No- because Masters did it at home and because it healed the incredible pain of 1989

Yes- because it proves MSU is magical on the diamond

No- because I am middle age and I was 8 when Masters hit the grand slam

Yes- because there are current Bulldog fans age-8

No- because I was actually in DNF when Masters hit his grand slam

Yes- because Mac hit a walkoff

I am just happy this team fights like Bulldogs

The Federalist Engineer
06-03-2018, 02:34 AM
Agree w the sr vs regional part. My point is, nobody talks about vickerson’s and they won’t talk about this one either- unless we pull a miracle.

Vick's would rank higher if Norris does not blow the save in Game-3

Vick's was pure magic and I loved the "Super" billboard we put in Lafayette county afterwards

Cooterpoot
06-03-2018, 07:06 AM
Masters was bigger because we had a better team capable of the CWS. This team isn?t going to the CWS..

HailState39110
06-03-2018, 07:26 AM
Macs shot reminds of Nick Vickersons walk off vs Florida in the Super Regional a few years back . A similar game where we didn’t have much going offensively then Everything changed by one swing of the bat

https://youtu.be/8p1kmJhkkZU

BulldogBear
06-03-2018, 08:31 AM
Maybe but I have to agree with Todd. I was at that 1990 tourney. Got to see all the games. I got to talk with some BYU people, and an assistant coach, the afternoon before we played them that night. The BYU coach said they were amazed when they arrived and saw the afternoon crowd. I told him wait until tonight's game to see a crowd. That tourney was one memorable MSU athletic event

I loved the old 6 team regionals. Lots of opponents and games. Outcomes not nearly as predictable as a few of the current four school yawners are each year. Those tournaments were the high water mark of baseball thrill factor.

Downsides were no Supers and only a 48 school field.

dickiedawg
06-03-2018, 08:47 AM
I don?t know how you can talk about predictability when the No. 7 National seed just went down on day 2.

IMissJack
06-03-2018, 10:49 AM
No, it does not put McNamee up to Masters status. Not only did Masters hit the grand slam, he was 6 for 6 that day.