PDA

View Full Version : Cohen Speaks on Timing of Coach Hire

ShotgunDawg
05-30-2018, 05:17 PM
Here is my interpretation of this quote given to Matty Dispatch at the SEC Meetings:

- I fully understand that naming a coach prior the draft is in the best long term interest of the baseball program, but I am cognizant that MSU's season may still be going on.

My guess is that he does what is right for the long term interest of the program.

He could risk waiting till Saturday night to see if our season is over, but naming a coach Saturday night while we are still in a regional would be the maximum distraction. Better to do it now, get it out of the way, & move on with life. Rip the band-aid off.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DeejvOjXkAMVc-f.jpg

Homedawg
05-30-2018, 05:37 PM
I don’t think we will have a coach “named” prior to the regional based on what I’m hearing. I think Monday morning is more likely. Several factors involved.

ShotgunDawg
05-30-2018, 05:38 PM
I don’t think we will have a coach “named” prior to the regional based on what I’m hearing. I think Monday morning is more likely. Several factors involved.

Well... if that's the case fine, but I hope we don't lose a player in the draft that we could've otherwise gotten

RiverCityDawg
05-30-2018, 05:41 PM
Here is my interpretation of this quote given to Matty Dispatch at the SEC Meetings:

- I fully understand that naming a coach prior the draft is in the best long term interest of the baseball program, but I am cognizant that MSU's season may still be going on.

My guess is that he does what is right for the long term interest of the program.

He could risk waiting till Saturday night to see if our season is over, but naming a coach Saturday night while we are still in a regional would be the maximum distraction. Better to do it now, get it out of the way, & move on with life. Rip the band-aid off.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DeejvOjXkAMVc-f.jpg

No inside knowledge here, but I think it has very little to do with our current season. I don't think it would cause a negative distraction for the current team. I think "not knowing" is more of a distraction if anything. Everyone including Henderson knows it isn't going to be Henderson, so that's not an issue either.

I think they didn't want to announce anything immediately after the season in an effort to avoid the obvious conclusion that theyalready had an agreement and did most of the deal while he was still the coach for TCU. Now the SEC meetings are going on and Cohen can't be here to do the whole press conference thing, so at this point they are just waiting. I would be shocked if he isn't named Monday or sooner.

ShotgunDawg
05-30-2018, 05:45 PM
The good news is that Schloss recruited a number of our current commits

Ifyouonlyknew
05-30-2018, 05:54 PM
Well... if that's the case fine, but I hope we don't lose a player in the draft that we could've otherwise gotten

Any kid that signs before our coach is announced wasn't coming to MSU regardless of the coach.

Jack Lambert
05-30-2018, 05:55 PM
I think it is going to be Monday at the soonest and I think he is talking as if he is trying to redirect the questions he and the new coach might receive.

MarketingBully
05-30-2018, 05:55 PM
We all know who the coach is. Get home from the meetings, finalize the deal, and let’s go. Playing mind games with the press seems silly at this point.

Commercecomet24
05-30-2018, 05:56 PM
I've heard if it wasn't Thursday it would be next Tuesday after the regional is complete. Of course if we don't make it til Monday could be sooner.

Commercecomet24
05-30-2018, 05:57 PM
Don't worry about the recruits they know what's going on.

MarketingBully
05-30-2018, 05:57 PM
I've heard if it wasn't Thursday it would be next Tuesday after the regional is complete. Of course if we don't make it til Monday could be sooner.

It’s getting leaked regardless of when we announce it. TCU needs to name a coach as well.

Homedawg
05-30-2018, 05:58 PM
We all know who the coach is. Get home from the meetings, finalize the deal, and let’s go. Playing mind games with the press seems silly at this point.

Nothing to do w mind games. Again, their are other factors than what just meets the eye. Patience grasshopper

Commercecomet24
05-30-2018, 05:59 PM
It’s getting leaked regardless of when we announce it. TCU needs to name a coach as well.

It's like Homedawg said there are some other factors. It's all good.

HoopsDawg
05-30-2018, 06:10 PM
I really we wish we could go ahead and announce tomorrow but oh well.

ShotgunDawg
05-30-2018, 06:11 PM
Any kid that signs before our coach is announced wasn't coming to MSU regardless of the coach.

This is probably about 95% correct. There's always 1 kid though.

ShotgunDawg
05-30-2018, 06:12 PM

Would be kind of funny if TCU announced a coach before us.

MarketingBully
05-30-2018, 06:19 PM
Would be kind of funny if TCU announced a coach before us.

They probably will announce Saarloos before we announce Schloss....

yjnkdawg
05-30-2018, 06:21 PM
Why don't we just let Cohen decide when the correct time to announce the official hiring is. That is what will happen anyway. He is the one who has been, and is still in charge of the coaching search, and hiring. He does know what is best, and he will do what is best for our baseball program going forward

somebodyshotmypaw
05-30-2018, 06:36 PM
I don't like announcing during the regional. I would announce Thursday (tomorrow), or I would wait until immediately after we either win the Tallahassee regional (but before the super regional), or are eliminated from the Tallahassee regional.

I think waiting too late is an issue. If you wait until we are eliminated from full NCAA play, what happens if we make the CWS? Then you are past the draft, plus you have to "fire" the guy that took you to the CWS.

Everybody knows Henderson is not the guy, including Henderson. Just name the new guy and be done with it. Just don't do it on a day we are actually playing a game.

MarketingBully
05-30-2018, 06:42 PM
I don't like announcing during the regional. I would announce Thursday (tomorrow), or I would wait until immediately after we either win the Tallahassee regional (but before the super regional), or are eliminated from the Tallahassee regional.

I think waiting too late is an issue. If you wait until we are eliminated from full NCAA play, what happens if we make the CWS? Then you are past the draft, plus you have to "fire" the guy that took you to the CWS.

Everybody knows Henderson is not the guy, including Henderson. Just name the new guy and be done with it. Just don't do it on a day we are actually playing a game.

If we don’t announce tomorrow, it’s going to be leaked before we announce. There’s absolutely no reason for TCU to hold up on looking for a coach for our benefit especially since Rice wants to interview Saarloos as well. So it’s either announce on our own terms (tomorrow) or it will be leaked before we announce.

Homedawg
05-30-2018, 06:47 PM
If we don’t announce tomorrow, it’s going to be leaked before we announce. There’s absolutely no reason for TCU to hold up on looking for a coach for our benefit especially since Rice wants to interview Saarloos as well. So it’s either announce on our own terms (tomorrow) or it will be leaked before we announce.
It’s going to be leaked??? Really??? No shit. And I’ve told you once but I’ll repeat it again, there are other factors involved.

BuckyIsAB****
05-30-2018, 06:49 PM

That has to be a first if it happens

msstate7
05-30-2018, 06:51 PM
Why don't we just let Cohen decide when the correct time to announce the official hiring is. That is what will happen anyway. He is the one who has been, and is still in charge of the coaching search, and hiring. He does know what is best, and he will do what is best for our baseball program going forward

You could literally take this stance on every topic here...

Should we offer so and so in football? Let the coaches decide that, and don't question it.

Should we start pilk or small Friday? Let the coaches decide that, and don't question it.

Should Luke Alexander spread out or close up? Let the coaches decide that, and don't question it

Etc.

Makes for pretty boring message board conversations. Personally I like that our fans have an opinion for themselves...

ShotgunDawg
05-30-2018, 08:38 PM

No kidding. Like we have a choice.

Your way would just eliminate all message board conversation

MarketingBully
05-30-2018, 08:48 PM
You could literally take this stance on every topic here...

Should we offer so and so in football? Let the coaches decide that, and don't question it.

Should we start pilk or small Friday? Let the coaches decide that, and don't question it.

Should Luke Alexander spread out or close up? Let the coaches decide that, and don't question it

Etc.

Makes for pretty boring message board conversations. Personally I like that our fans have an opinion for themselves...

Great post man! We are all Dawgs on here and I like the fact everyone has an opinion. Although I disagree with Msstate7 on various things I always enjoy having him on here. Even Homedawg who has stated I have had idiotic posts. I disagree with some of things that he says but the boards wouldn’t be the same without him.

MarketingBully
05-30-2018, 08:51 PM

If Cohen had his druthers, he?d have us believe he?s still interviewing six candidates and just got this search started. That?s what he?s telling the press. When Schloss is named tomorrow or Tuesday, the press will know they were bullshited.

Todd4State
05-30-2018, 09:13 PM
If Cohen had his druthers, he?d have us believe he?s still interviewing six candidates and just got this search started. That?s what he?s telling the press. When Schloss is named tomorrow or Tuesday, the press will know they were bullshited.

That's what someone in the MSU AD told Gene and that's not true based on everything I have heard.

They also probably told him some other things too.

Homedawg
05-30-2018, 09:29 PM
Great post man! We are all Dawgs on here and I like the fact everyone has an opinion. Although I disagree with Msstate7 on various things I always enjoy having him on here. Even Homedawg who has stated I have had idiotic posts. I disagree with some of things that he says but the boards wouldn’t be the same without him.
I didn’t say everything you said was idiotic. Just a couple!!!! Happen to agree w you on occasion! But the board is good w various thoughts. That’s for sure.

deadheaddawg
05-30-2018, 09:48 PM
That has to be a first if it happens

I hope we don't screw TCU out of Saarloos. Saw where he is rumoured to Rice.

Schloss has been there a long time and undoubtedly has special feelings far them. Hopefully it will be as clean of a Break as possible

Homedawg
05-30-2018, 09:55 PM
I hope we don't screw TCU out of Saarloos. Saw where he is rumoured to Rice.

Schloss has been there a long time and undoubtedly has special feelings far them. Hopefully it will be as clean of a Break as possible

If he takes rice over tcu he’s nuts. But I doubt it

Dawg61
05-30-2018, 10:06 PM
Why would you announce it in the middle of the regionals on Saturday when you can just wait till the regionals is over and still nobody has been drafted yet. Announce it Monday afternoon.

preachermatt83
05-30-2018, 10:15 PM
Great post. Why we as fans try to "infight" so much just because we have differing opinions at times is just not good.

ShotgunDawg
05-30-2018, 11:05 PM
I think it's a bigger distraction to not announce it.

I know it's a distraction for me as I'm checking Twitter every 5 min to see if something breaks.

I imagine some of the players are doing the same.

I could make an argument that with holding the obvious is a bigger distraction.

Let me ask all of you this: are you currently distracted by this? I am

preachermatt83
05-30-2018, 11:25 PM

I know it's a distraction for me as I'm checking Twitter every 5 min to see if something breaks.

Outstanding points.

Dawg61
05-30-2018, 11:31 PM

I'm not distracted by it no. What I think you're not considering is the possibility a couple of our players may be rooting for Henderson to get the job and they might play up a little to try to help him get it. We all know Hendo has no chance and it's Schloss job to take but that doesn't mean there aren't a couple players rooting for Hendo. I think there's a bigger possibility of a small letdown in the dugout if it's announced before or during the regionals than it's a distraction to wait to announce till Monday. It's human nature to not celebrate a hire in the dugout while the guy standing next to you just lost his job

Todd4State
05-30-2018, 11:39 PM

I'm not THAT distracted by it.

I think the players probably know as much or more than any of us. This thing is a huge distraction no matter how you cut it. But I think the players will probably worry about it more after the regional or the season is over because they're not going to play for the new coaches this year anyway.

The distraction part isn't going away until this season is over one way or the other. Everything about this season has been a distraction. The schedule, the new stadium, and the Cann firing. It's gotten to that point like that scene in Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation where a huge ball of fire shoots through the den and Clark just gets up from the dinner table like it's a normal everyday thing. Because it is. It's the same way with this team at this moment the entire season.

I would personally wait until our season is over. At the earliest. I just think it's the right thing to do. It's about being fair to the players and I think it's about being fair to the coaches most of whom are not likely coming back. Now, if Cohen announces Tuesday it's probably a moot point anyway because I don't think we get past the regional anyway. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it.

Todd4State
05-30-2018, 11:44 PM
I'm not distracted by it no. What I think you're not considering is the possibility a couple of our players may be rooting for Henderson to get the job and they might play up a little to try to help him get it. We all know Hendo has no chance and it's Schloss job to take but that doesn't mean there aren't a couple players rooting for Hendo. I think there's a bigger possibility of a small letdown in the dugout if it's announced before or during the regionals than it's a distraction to wait to announce till Monday. It's human nature to not celebrate a hire in the dugout while the guy standing next to you just lost his job

To play devil's advocate they could play up as a tribute to him.

AlSwearengen
05-31-2018, 12:48 AM
As far as Henderson goes, I wonder if he even wants to be a head coach in the SEC again, especially at a place with our expectations.

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if he gave Cohen his blessing to move forward without considering him for the job.

I don’t know how old Henderson is, but I can’t see him planning to coach for ten more years, which is what we need.

Cooterpoot
05-31-2018, 01:32 AM
Hendersonn is done coaching after this season.

Matty Dispatch
05-31-2018, 06:33 AM
The most important thing to remember is the #mlbdraft

Bully13
05-31-2018, 07:05 AM

How do you know Henderson even wants the job? Do you really think the players know less than ED? At this point, do you really think there is a single player on the team that thinks Henderson has a shot?

Todd4State
05-31-2018, 07:48 AM
The most important thing to remember is the #mlbdraft

Well played!

Todd4State
05-31-2018, 07:50 AM
How do you know Henderson even wants the job? Do you really think the players know less than ED? At this point, do you really think there is a single player on the team that thinks Henderson has a shot?

It's also assuming a lot of the players want him back too- but I'm not going to get into that.

Leroy Jenkins
05-31-2018, 07:54 AM
Players still have until July to decide to sign, right? So I don't understand he urgency of the draft/coaching hire. You don't have to decide to play pro-ball the day you are drafted.

mparkerfd20
05-31-2018, 07:59 AM
We're on the cusp of hiring possibly the greatest coach ever at State and possibly the greatest hire in college baseball in decades and folks still want Henderson? These are the other factors at play?? Come on.

Dawg61
05-31-2018, 08:52 AM

I think it's unwise to assume 100% of the players would prefer to play for a guy they don't know over the guy they've played for most or all of their entire college career. Some people fear change including baseball players. Maybe some of them will be nervous they are going to be out a scholarship next year. It's almost never going to be a 100% total agreement of a hire amongst players. Not trying to throw shade here I am just saying I think the best play is to announce the hire on Monday/Tuesday instead of in the middle of the NCAA regional they are trying to win. It's distracting their attention away from playing the games.

ShotgunDawg
05-31-2018, 08:56 AM
Players still have until July to decide to sign, right? So I don't understand he urgency of the draft/coaching hire. You don't have to decide to play pro-ball the day you are drafted.

Technically yes but teams call before drafting the player to ask if he'll sign.

When drafted, outside of only a few cases, the kid has already agreed.

Dawg61
05-31-2018, 08:56 AM
We're on the cusp of hiring possibly the greatest coach ever at State and possibly the greatest hire in college baseball in decades and folks still want Henderson? These are the other factors at play?? Come on.

No fans want Henderson. That doesn't mean a player doesn't want him and we can't assume 100% of them prefer a guy they don't know over what they are used to.

smootness
05-31-2018, 09:05 AM
Technically yes but teams call before drafting the player to ask if he'll sign.

When drafted, outside of only a few cases, the kid has already agreed.

This is not true. It is in some cases, and certainly there are kids who make it known they will go to school. But there are also negotiations that happen until well after the draft, with no agreement from either side until the right number is hit.

ShotgunDawg
05-31-2018, 09:23 AM
This is not true. It is in some cases, and certainly there are kids who make it known they will go to school. But there are also negotiations that happen until well after the draft, with no agreement from either side until the right number is hit.

Players taken in the top 10 rounds are called before they are taken UNLESS they are a premium prospect who has his bluff called.

Dawg61
05-31-2018, 09:48 AM
Players taken in the top 10 rounds are called before they are taken UNLESS they are a premium prospect who has his bluff called.

What's stopping Schloss or Cohen from calling the draft risk player and letting them know who the coach is at MSU next year before the draft happens?

smootness
05-31-2018, 10:42 AM

Right. And some say, 'Sure, I'll sign for that.' And some say, 'No, I won't.' But there are definitely players who say, 'I'm not sure.' There are also teams who don't know quite how much they'll be able to offer or who end up with less money to offer than they thought they would.

Generally speaking, once you get past the first few rounds, a team won't be going much over slot. And a bunch go under slot in those rounds. That's the primary reason you don't see a lot of well-thought-of HS players in those rounds. I don't think our coach or lack thereof will make that much of a difference in whether a player will take that money or not.

yjnkdawg
05-31-2018, 07:05 PM

A school administration or AD is not going to make an official announcement of a new coaching hire, until they have made an official announcement that their coach on record, is resigning, , is retiring, fired, taking another coaching position at another school. etc. Now OM could be an exception to this as they don't do anything much the normal or logical way.

yjnkdawg
05-31-2018, 07:16 PM
Great post man! We are all Dawgs on here and I like the fact everyone has an opinion. Although I disagree with Msstate7 on various things I always enjoy having him on here. Even Homedawg who has stated I have had idiotic posts. I disagree with some of things that he says but the boards wouldn?t be the same without him.

I agree MarketingBully. Maybe the intent of my post was to get 7 all fired up , and if that was the intent then it was pretty successful ir appears. you just never know lol

yjnkdawg
05-31-2018, 07:21 PM

Henderson was very happy being our pitching coach. Now whether he has 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% interest in being our new HC, I have no clue,.