PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Streets football mag is out and we have a second team All-American candidate

TaleofTwoDogs
05-30-2018, 03:45 PM
No, it's not Simmons or Sweat or even Fitz it is Mark McLaurin. McLaurin for Heisman! Hope he has a great year.

BTW, S&S has us as 4th in the West, 19th in the nation. Moving up to the East side, boys.

ShotgunDawg
05-30-2018, 03:48 PM
Some of these magazines are clueless.

Who does they have as 3rd in the West?

dogwalker
05-30-2018, 03:55 PM
LSU

civildawg
05-30-2018, 04:20 PM
LSU

I admit the addition of the transfer qb scares me with LSU

BuckyIsAB****
05-30-2018, 04:29 PM
1 second team all american? on this team?

Simmons, Sweat, Fitzgerald, Jenkins, McLaurin all come to mind as all america candidates. Possibly Aeris or Kylin if they blow it up

GoToHellOleMiss
05-30-2018, 04:41 PM
1 second team all american? on this team?

Simmons, Sweat, Fitzgerald, Jenkins, McLaurin all come to mind as all america candidates. Possibly Aeris or Kylin if they blow it up

Aeris? Come on dude. He's a good SEC back....not an All-American candidate.

Ari Gold
05-30-2018, 07:13 PM

I asked this question a while back besides R Wilson name another grad transfer at QB that made an impact ....

bostondawg
05-30-2018, 08:34 PM
I asked this question a while back besides R Wilson name another grad transfer at QB that made an impact ....

For sure, but LSU is always talented. The reason I think MSU beats them is because their coach is a clown and they have no QB. If this guy is any good, it'll be a tougher game than we were hoping.

Hambone
05-30-2018, 09:28 PM
I think we beat them because our defense will be better than their offense and our offense will be better than their defense.

Johnson85
05-31-2018, 08:44 AM

How many times have they come to a team that is talented almost everywhere but bad at QB?

I'm not sure that description applies to LSU this year, but that has been accurate for them fairly regularly in the past.

smootness
05-31-2018, 08:50 AM
How many times have they come to a team that is talented almost everywhere but bad at QB?

I'm not sure that description applies to LSU this year, but that has been accurate for them fairly regularly in the past.

Because they're not good at coaching QB's. That continues to be the case. They are always talented at QB as well.

This is an instance of being afraid of the unknown. Joe Burrow was a decent recruit who has sat on the bench for a few years and now couldn't beat out two freshmen. LSU has had more talented QB's than him recently, and they did little. There's no reason to think Burrow will suddenly be good there.

College QB'ing seems to be more about coaching than talent. Good offensive coaches can take average QB's and produce good results. Bad offensive coaches can take good QB's and produce mediocre results. Burrow is a meh QB with meh coaching.

ShotgunDawg
05-31-2018, 08:52 AM
Does this grad transfer thing sit right with you guys?

Now the SEC is talking about getting rid of the grad transfer rule in the SEC where players have to sit a year when transferring from one SEC school to another.

Would free agency help or hurt us? It seems like it just allows blue bloods to fill a hole on their roster and I don't think that is right.

smootness
05-31-2018, 09:07 AM

Now the SEC is talking about getting rid of the grad transfer rule in the SEC where players have to sit a year when transferring from one SEC school to another.

Would free agency help or hurt us? It seems like it just allows blue bloods to fill a hole on their roster and I don't think that is right.

I don't really care about it. Sure, it probably helps the top teams more, as they're always going to get the better transfers. But most of these transfers either aren't really that great or need time to adapt. Not many of them make a huge impact.

Dawgology
05-31-2018, 09:12 AM
As i always remind people...there is a reason he transferred and didn't stay at Ohio State. As with most transfer QB's (from D1 schools) they transfer because of lack of playing time. In other words, they couldn't earn playing time where they were. Now, I'm not saying this guy won't blow it up and become a heisman contender but I would say that history indicates that won't be the case.

TrapGame
05-31-2018, 09:27 AM

It's a desperation move. That offense is going to be anemic. When O was chewing every offensive coach's ass like a tough steak during the spring game I knew that offense had major problems (first of which is O is head coach).

Johnson85
05-31-2018, 09:59 AM
Because they're not good at coaching QB's. That continues to be the case. They are always talented at QB as well.

This is an instance of being afraid of the unknown. Joe Burrow was a decent recruit who has sat on the bench for a few years and now couldn't beat out two freshmen. LSU has had more talented QB's than him recently, and they did little. There's no reason to think Burrow will suddenly be good there.

College QB'ing seems to be more about coaching than talent. Good offensive coaches can take average QB's and produce good results. Bad offensive coaches can take good QB's and produce mediocre results. Burrow is a meh QB with meh coaching.

I agree with this, but presumably coming from OSU, Burrow is a QB who has had better coaching than anybody else on LSU's roster. I'm not sure how much that coaching is going to help coming from a spread to whatever LSU thinks they're running, and it definitely won't fix the problem if LSU's offensive staff can't run an offense in addition to being unable to coach qb's, but LSU just needs adequate QB play to make a big difference, and that doesn't seem like a huge hurdle for a transfer QB to make.

I don't expect him to make a big difference either, but I certainly understand people thinking he might/probably will.

smootness
05-31-2018, 10:40 AM
I agree with this, but presumably coming from OSU, Burrow is a QB who has had better coaching than anybody else on LSU's roster. I'm not sure how much that coaching is going to help coming from a spread to whatever LSU thinks they're running, and it definitely won't fix the problem if LSU's offensive staff can't run an offense in addition to being unable to coach qb's, but LSU just needs adequate QB play to make a big difference, and that doesn't seem like a huge hurdle for a transfer QB to make.

I don't expect him to make a big difference either, but I certainly understand people thinking he might/probably will.

I don't mean coaching a QB up, I mean figuring out how to use a given QB's talents. There's been nothing at LSU for the last 10+ years to indicate the coaches know how to use a QB's talents to produce a really good offense.

parabrave
05-31-2018, 11:34 AM
LSU is about to go Gerry Dinardo/ Curley Hallman Bad

BuckyIsAB****
05-31-2018, 11:59 AM
Aeris? Come on dude. He's a good SEC back....not an All-American candidate.

I couldve swore I said possibly if he blows it up.

dawgs
05-31-2018, 12:08 PM

Grad transfers should be able to play right away. Regular transfers should have to sit a year, but I don't think programs should be able to block their transfers from transferring to any program they choose.

Free agency transfers potentially leaves programs unprepared if suddenly 4 or 5 starters decide to transfer to bigger and better programs just before preseason practices start. For schools on quarters that don't start the quarter until mid-September, would guys be able to see how playing time shakes out for a week or 2 or maybe they fail a piss test, then transfer mid season while they could still enroll for the quarter and play immediately? Wouldn't be super common but would happen once or twice a season I'd think. There would need to be strong rules against tampering and harsh penalties for those committing the tampering, but I don't know that the NCAA would be able to even govern that.

Bothrops
05-31-2018, 12:18 PM
We will know a whole lot more about LSU around mid season.

TrapGame
05-31-2018, 12:21 PM
LSU is about to go Gerry Dinardo/ Curley Hallman Bad

How the mighty have fallen. I can see LSU going 7-5. Do they keep O one more year or cut him loose for possibly Aranda?

dawgs
05-31-2018, 12:24 PM
How the mighty have fallen. I can see LSU going 7-5. Do they keep O one more year or cut him loose for possibly Aranda?

If/when LSU fires coach O, they should still be able to bring in a proven HC or a much more hyped, young coordinator than aranda imo.

GoToHellOleMiss
05-31-2018, 12:25 PM
I couldve swore I said possibly if he blows it up.

Unless he somehow magically gets break-away speed, he is not going to "blow it up".

He's an average SEC back. Nothing wrong with that.

BuckyIsAB****
05-31-2018, 01:58 PM
Unless he somehow magically gets break-away speed, he is not going to "blow it up".

He's an average SEC back. Nothing wrong with that.

If he is average then who is good? Sure hes not Derrick Henry but he is damn good and should have over 1000 yards easily in 2018