PDA

View Full Version : Luke needs to simplify

justwin
05-29-2018, 10:32 PM
His stride. Spread his legs and get that left foot down early with a slight lift or toe tap and just hit with his hands and rotate. He is clueless with his left leg and just needs to take the common college approach with a wider base and less lower half action. He has 40 Ks in 220 abs which isn't bad. He's putting the ball in play all due to his above avg hand eye coordination. Seems like he is starting to eliminate that awkwArd left leg back step tap and then stride forward last few weeks which is better. There are so many instances where his left foot is still in the air or moving while the pitch is almost to the plate. No one else in college baseball is doing all the unnecessary movement with their lead foot like he's doing. Can some coach just tell him to calm it down and simplify his lower half and just get planted in advance of the pitch leaving the pitchers hand and hit/reAct with his hands and rotate his back foot. Got s feeling that if simplified he could get hot in the playoffs. His hands are too good and being wasted with that left foot. Corbin and vandy really do a good job of planting and widening the base and just level the swing and Alexander can easily adapt before Friday and get his confidence back. Keep it simple Luke and go rake. It's time.

Mutt the Hoople
05-29-2018, 10:59 PM
For a minute, I thought you were talking about simplifying things for THIS Luke
https://www.oxfordeagle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Screen-Shot-2016-10-26-at-9.39.40-AM-622x435.png

Really Clark?
05-29-2018, 11:08 PM
Disagree with that. You don’t get your foot down early and disrupt timing and create a 2 piece swing. Foot plant or heel plant (if you use a toe touch - heel plant technique) is the trigger for your drive and rotation into your swing. Watch Altuve in this slow motion clip. When his heel plants and creates ground force reaction, his swing is triggered. And the rotating of the rear foot should be a non-teach. If the batter is driving and rotating it should happen naturally. Forcing the rear foot to rotate causes a hitter to spin out on the back side.

https://youtu.be/hxlb5ds9K0c

Pit Bull
05-30-2018, 01:25 AM
His stride. Spread his legs and get that left foot down early with a slight lift or toe tap and just hit with his hands and rotate. He is clueless with his left leg and just needs to take the common college approach with a wider base and less lower half action. He has 40 Ks in 220 abs which isn't bad. He's putting the ball in play all due to his above avg hand eye coordination. Seems like he is starting to eliminate that awkwArd left leg back step tap and then stride forward last few weeks which is better. There are so many instances where his left foot is still in the air or moving while the pitch is almost to the plate. No one else in college baseball is doing all the unnecessary movement with their lead foot like he's doing. Can some coach just tell him to calm it down and simplify his lower half and just get planted in advance of the pitch leaving the pitchers hand and hit/reAct with his hands and rotate his back foot. Got s feeling that if simplified he could get hot in the playoffs. His hands are too good and being wasted with that left foot. Corbin and vandy really do a good job of planting and widening the base and just level the swing and Alexander can easily adapt before Friday and get his confidence back. Keep it simple Luke and go rake. It's time.

....he'll need a good hitting coach. Plus, with your experience on EliteDawgs....it's a Slam Dunk!

dawgoneyall
05-30-2018, 06:41 AM
He did.

Break a leg.

Bully13
05-30-2018, 07:09 AM
We've got a great hitting coach whose gonna stay on board for the new HC.

JoseBrown
05-30-2018, 07:35 AM
https://www.oxfordeagle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Screen-Shot-2016-10-26-at-9.39.40-AM-622x435.png

If that ain't the Michelin Man I don't know what is... that's a fat head...

Jack Lambert
05-30-2018, 08:47 AM
If that ain't the Michelin Man I don't know what is... that's a fat head...

That's the face he makes after he finds a fart.

justwin
05-30-2018, 08:51 AM
Disagree with that. You don?t get your foot down early and disrupt timing and create a 2 piece swing. Foot plant or heel plant (if you use a toe touch - heel plant technique) is the trigger for your drive and rotation into your swing. Watch Altuve in this slow motion clip. When his heel plants and creates ground force reaction, his swing is triggered. And the rotating of the rear foot should be a non-teach. If the batter is driving and rotating it should happen naturally. Forcing the rear foot to rotate causes a hitter to spin out on the back side.

https://youtu.be/hxlb5ds9K0c

You're overthinking it. In terms of Luke in particular, should model his lower half like dansby Swanson while at vandy or Paul molitor or even pujols to some degree. I don't think you're doing this, but comparing altuve as a MLB all star to a college ss isn't really fair. Luke has the hands and upper half but his lower half needs simplicity and getting his left down sooner.

justwin
05-30-2018, 08:52 AM
....he'll need a good hitting coach. Plus, with your experience on EliteDawgs....it's a Slam Dunk!

Incredibly insightful and contributes to the convo. You should post much much more

Cooterpoot
05-30-2018, 09:05 AM
Foot down early hitters, generally aren't as effective as timing it with the front foot (some form of a leg kick). You have MLB guys that have the ability to make adjustments between the two, but in general, the better hitters are not foot down early hitters. I haven't looked at foambat, so....I'm not getting into his swing. Foot down early cues are general statements in a lot of cases. You also don't want to get too "handsy" with a swing. That's old school stuff too.

05-30-2018, 09:25 AM
justwins are a dime a dozen on the daddyball all star tour every summer hahaha

Really Clark?
05-30-2018, 09:37 AM
You're overthinking it. In terms of Luke in particular, should model his lower half like dansby Swanson while at vandy or Paul molitor or even pujols to some degree. I don't think you're doing this, but comparing altuve as a MLB all star to a college ss isn't really fair. Luke has the hands and upper half but his lower half needs simplicity and getting his left down sooner.

Here is a clip of some Vandy hitters. While they do have a short stride (which is fine and I like but is not an absolute) they don’t get their foot down sooner. Because of their style, they wait and plant later because the plant is still the trigger. Your front foot plant has to be in time with momentum of the swing. Otherwise your swing is from a static point of your body movement not from a dynamic motion. By doing that, you lose bat speed through the zone and can cause bat path problems not to mention timing.

Dansby at Vandy went toe touch to heel plant. The heel plant was the trigger to start the swing. He didn’t get out to stride, pause, then swing. His heel plant was still the timing trigger to engage the rear side.

https://youtu.be/tXFG0tRI7u8

Alverez has a quicker transition. Toe touch to heel plant is seamless and on time.

https://youtu.be/zlhTPNr-_DM

Go to the hitting portion of Kendall’s video. Not nearly as wide of a base and stride. Again, toe touch to heel plant is almost seamless and in time. No leg kick, short stride has to happen later not quicker or he would not be in time.

https://youtu.be/3owPB7lo928

Because they have such short strides you are thinking they get the foot down sooner but they are still on time and with that approach you actually are getting the foot down later in the pitch to stay on time.

The reason I used Altuve, is I believe in the Hanson principle. Why would you not take and use a lot of what an elite hitter is doing to consistently strike the ball hard and on time? But also a smaller man generating that kind of power and hit ability is sequencing his swing at an extremely high level. Leg kick part is a style that a hitter has to find that works for them to be in time. It’s not an absolute.

Puljos is not one I would necessarily use for Alexander. He has a great swing but his size makes what he does different than what a smaller guy has to do. Altuve, Donaldson, Pedroia, etc. smaller guys who generate bat speed are better comparables.

I love Molitor but that is a completely different type of hitter than Alexander. He would need a long time to change his hitting to match Molitor and he would have to learn a totally different mindset on top of the mechanical changes it would take.

preachermatt83
05-30-2018, 10:59 AM
He's been trying to load, plant, and swing all in one motion. It just don't work. If it can be fixed Geatreau is the man to get it done.

I seen it dawg
05-30-2018, 12:05 PM
If he will just try to hit a line drive to the 2nd baseman it will completely change his results. He just blows open. He did close up and get quiet in the LSU game so there is some hope he is working on it.

Really Clark?
05-30-2018, 12:16 PM
If he will just try to hit a line drive to the 2nd baseman it will completely change his results. He just blows open. He did close up and get quiet in the LSU game so there is some hope he is working on it.

Yep. Hit balls off tee set up inside but square them up to center - right field. Keep you closed off longer then rotate through the ball. And you can see changes they are making just got to stay with it

I seen it dawg
05-30-2018, 12:32 PM
Someone tweeted tee and video room at him some days ago...

Spiderman
05-30-2018, 06:35 PM

Best advice I always gave my players was, "spread your feet way out and just see and hit the ball. Then shorten the stance and keep seeing and hitting it. Quit damn thinking so much."

BulldogBear
05-31-2018, 06:56 PM

Me too. I wasn't sure where it was going when I read:

"Spread his legs and get that left foot down early with a slight lift or toe tap .."

Homedawg
05-31-2018, 09:55 PM
Where is rogue?? We need him to get all this straight anyway ***

msstate7
05-31-2018, 10:12 PM
Where is rogue?? We need him to get all this straight anyway ***

MLB draft in less than a week... he's pretty busy right now