PDA

View Full Version : Need 5 to get to Omaha

justwin
05-29-2018, 10:21 PM
Keep hearing the experts say ideally you need 5 arms to get to Omaha. I think we could have 4 in small Pilk self and JP. Pilk is the wildcard though. On the 5th, seems like we have a combo of 6 guys in billingsley who gives you 3 innings tops, Gordon and Denver each can give one inning tops, Keegan 2 innings, Blake smith maybe 2 injings, and then neff who is the wildcard to me who can give you as many as 4 innings. I like neff

Do we have enough to even approach 5? Is our mix after the 4 a valid 5th?

After watching Florida get exposed without singer, I wonder what team has 5 arms?

Dawg Tired
05-29-2018, 10:24 PM
Nm

CadaverDawg
05-29-2018, 10:30 PM
Keep hearing the experts say ideally you need 5 arms to get to Omaha. I think we could have 4 in small Pilk self and JP. Pilk is the wildcard though. On the 5th, seems like we have a combo of 6 guys in billingsley who gives you 3 innings tops, Gordon and Denver each can give one inning tops, Keegan 2 innings, Blake smith maybe 2 injings, and then neff who is the wildcard to me who can give you as many as 4 innings. I like neff

Do we have enough to even approach 5? Is our mix after the 4 a valid 5th?

After watching Florida get exposed without singer, I wonder what team has 5 arms?

I like McQuary and James, and I think they have really good potential...but if we see them again this season, Everett can go ahead and warm the bus when that call to the pen is made.

justwin
05-29-2018, 10:40 PM
I like McQuary and James, and I think they have really good potential...but if we see them again this season, Everett can go ahead and warm the bus when that call to the pen is made.

Denver should never pitch more than an inning. He and Gordon are best when they start an inning and treat it like a closer. Those two get sideways when hendo tries to get get 4+ outs with them. I think Keegan is good for 4 outs and also when he gets to start an inning. Smith and neff are the only two that have the mental makeup to come in mid inning.

The Federalist Engineer
05-29-2018, 11:09 PM
UCLA used 4 pitchers in 2013 (plutko, Vander Tuig, kaperlian, Berg), Arizona used basically 3 pitchers (one gave up his arm in the struggle), and Costal Carolina used basically 4 in 2017

In 2015 Virginia used basically 5 but one kid was the go-to guy. Sborz or something like that.

The key is that 2 starters must eat innings and never fail. You need a great middle relief guy like Arinoza's Ming in 2013 or UVA's Sborz in 2015

In nearly all cases a miracle had to happen with a #3 guy or a rainstorm gives the team rest at a critical juncture. UVA got a freshman to pitch a gem during the championship series. Us on the other hand, We got a choke job from Trevor Fitts in 2013 against UCLAs shitty little hitters.

Todd4State
05-30-2018, 12:35 AM
I think you need seven on the season- 3 weekend guys, a good midweek guy, a closer, a set-up guy, and a relief ace like a Girodo or a Lindgren to get you into position to host and be a national seed.

Once you get to the postseason you can get by with fewer arms in Omaha but you are probably going to need someone reliable or hope a miracle happens to get through the regionals and maybe even the super regionals. If you have reliable arms as I said above you need less of a miracle.

ScoobaDawg
05-30-2018, 01:02 AM
I'll be damned happy if we get out of the regional. We are about to have a home run coach and everything for the rest of this season is just gravy...but I don't want it to end yet either.

MarketingBully
05-30-2018, 01:54 AM
I think you need seven on the season- 3 weekend guys, a good midweek guy, a closer, a set-up guy, and a relief ace like a Girodo or a Lindgren to get you into position to host and be a national seed.

Once you get to the postseason you can get by with fewer arms in Omaha but you are probably going to need someone reliable or hope a miracle happens to get through the regionals and maybe even the super regionals. If you have reliable arms as I said above you need less of a miracle.

We can’t get in the losers bracket this weekend if we are going to win. We absolutely have to have dynamite performances from Pilk and Small and hopefully our timely two out hitting continues. We just don’t have a reliable third starter to get us through a losers bracket scenario. That’s why I think we go 2-2. I don’t trust JB or McQ enough to bring us home. The only other way it would work is if we score 8+ runs a game. That type of offense helps out a lot of pitching woes.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-30-2018, 05:06 AM
Must win game one...

Todd4State
05-30-2018, 07:32 AM
We can’t get in the losers bracket this weekend if we are going to win. We absolutely have to have dynamite performances from Pilk and Small and hopefully our timely two out hitting continues. We just don’t have a reliable third starter to get us through a losers bracket scenario. That’s why I think we go 2-2. I don’t trust JB or McQ enough to bring us home. The only other way it would work is if we score 8+ runs a game. That type of offense helps out a lot of pitching woes.

I agree. Unless JB has the game of his life again. Either way even if we win the first two we're going to have to throw someone inconsistent. JB is more likely to do that Denver.

MarketingBully
05-30-2018, 07:45 AM
I agree. Unless JB has the game of his life again. Either way even if we win the first two we're going to have to throw someone inconsistent. JB is more likely to do that Denver.

Yep. We will have to depend on either JB or McQ just can’t depend on both which we would have to do in the losers bracket unless we pitch Pilk/Small on short rest.

05-30-2018, 09:20 AM
UCLA used 4 pitchers in 2013 (plutko, Vander Tuig, kaperlian, Berg), Arizona used basically 3 pitchers (one gave up his arm in the struggle), and Costal Carolina used basically 4 in 2017

In 2015 Virginia used basically 5 but one kid was the go-to guy. Sborz or something like that.

The key is that 2 starters must eat innings and never fail. You need a great middle relief guy like Arinoza's Ming in 2013 or UVA's Sborz in 2015

In nearly all cases a miracle had to happen with a #3 guy or a rainstorm gives the team rest at a critical juncture. UVA got a freshman to pitch a gem during the championship series. Us on the other hand, We got a choke job from Trevor Fitts in 2013 against UCLAs shitty little hitters.
This is accurate, until your ridiculous jab at Trevor Fitts

Do you realize we lost that game 3-1? It's like you didn't even watch, we had a base runner get on due to a pass ball on a strike out then we had the collision at 1B a couple innings later, AND, we swung at balls up in the zone and kept popping up, and their outfielders had us shaded perfectly

Pitching didn't lose that game