PDA

View Full Version : New Schloss Article In FW Star Telegram

ShotgunDawg
05-29-2018, 08:50 AM
https://twitter.com/macengelprof/status/1001286700293853191 (https://twitter.com/macengelprof/status/1001286700293853191?s=21)

These TCU fans are idiots. They have no clue about the history and fan support of our program.

I suppose this is how we looked at Tennessee football during the Mullen sweepstakes.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article212061774.html

Bully13
05-29-2018, 09:04 AM
Well, this morning MSU grad and chief meteorologist at 820 A.M. WBAP Brad Barton set their listening audience straight on this this morning. Brad joins the team in the mornings and gets into the news, sports and politics as well.

He led the discussion bringing up the "Thunder and Lightening" series and spouted off a few other big time players that have come thru our baseball program. The others had to concede to him with "I hope he stays but I can understand if he bolts". I wished I'd tuned in a minute earlier cause all I got was the tail end of it. I'll see if I can find a pod cast later and share.

Here's a link on Brad's bio from the station along with other tabs if you wanna navigate the station's website.

http://www.wbap.com/brad-barton/

graddawg
05-29-2018, 09:05 AM
The reality is we have to win a natty or start getting to Omaha more than sporadically if we want those outside the most diehard college baseball fans to view the program in the light it deserves.

Bully13
05-29-2018, 09:07 AM
The reality is we have to win a natty or start getting to Omaha more than sporadically if we want those outside the most diehard college baseball fans to view the program in the light it deserves.

If we get Schloss, we will get the light it deserves. We are a special program in our own very unique way.

Jack Lambert
05-29-2018, 09:09 AM

I don't think that would matter. People out side the SEC don't know shit about MSU and never will. I went over to SFA football message board and one guy thinks our football team is in a rebuild year and he think they have a chance to beat us.

deltadawg99
05-29-2018, 09:14 AM
Here’s the thing. Starkville and MSU have a stigma to the outside world of being a low tier program in the middle of nowhere. Opposing fans that have never been to campus or actually seen a game don’t have any clue how things have changed.

This isn’t the LT days where we make a lazy hire like bringing Polk back for a second time. We’ve got money, brand new stadium, play in the best conference in the country and have one of if not the best atmosphere in the country.

I spoke to a number of Florida fans doing our series, some of which actually had kodsnon the team, and they wouldn’t stop talking about how great the stadium and atmosphere are.

Cohen is also going to do it right this time no matter who he hires to be the coach. The Cannizzaro deal fell into place because of the timing of Cohen bevckmkng AD. No HC is going to leave their program after fall ball for another program. This go around, Cohen has a completely new deck of cards to play with and I think he’s going to make an awesome hire that we’re all going to be excited about.

MarketingBully
05-29-2018, 09:25 AM
Kendall Rogers on OOB this morning said he’d be surprised if it wasn’t McDonnell or Schlossnagle and that the job is trending towards Schlossnagle but nothing is set in stone yet. He’s very dialed in and knows more then anyone of all the media guys. Everything looks like it is lining up.

drummerdawg
05-29-2018, 09:28 AM
Here?s the thing. Starkville and MSU have a stigma to the outside world of being a low tier program in the middle of nowhere. Opposing fans that have never been to campus or actually seen a game don?t have any clue how things have changed.

This isn?t the LT days where we make a lazy hire like bringing Polk back for a second time. We?ve got money, brand new stadium, play in the best conference in the country and have one of if not the best atmosphere in the country.

I spoke to a number of Florida fans doing our series, some of which actually had kodsnon the team, and they wouldn?t stop talking about how great the stadium and atmosphere are.

Cohen is also going to do it right this time no matter who he hires to be the coach. The Cannizzaro deal fell into place because of the timing of Cohen bevckmkng AD. No HC is going to leave their program after fall ball for another program. This go around, Cohen has a completely new deck of cards to play with and I think he?s going to make an awesome hire that we?re all going to be excited about.

I agree with pretty much everything. I think people are surprised when they visit the campus and our stadiums which I think are very underrated. However, Starkville could use some work. We've got a lot of catching up to do with the other SEC college towns.

graddawg
05-29-2018, 09:28 AM
If we get Schloss, we will get the light it deserves. We are a special program in our own very unique way.

Either Schloss or McDonald would be a huge step in that regard, no doubt.

Cooterpoot
05-29-2018, 09:32 AM
Look, Starkville is a nice college town (better than most know). But, it's in the middle of nowhere MS. Starkville needs to freaking grow. It needs jobs and people to get more retail business. Education in our state sucks and it's certainly not strong in Starkville (State excluded). Really need the area to grow, but MS is so backwards nothing will ever happen here.
But, State is a great place and our program is top 3 in fan support. It's top 15 from a historical standpoint. With the upgrades and obvious commitment, it can be a top 5 program. I have no doubts about that.

drummerdawg
05-29-2018, 09:44 AM
Look, Starkville is a nice college town (better than most know). But, it's in the middle of nowhere MS. Starkville needs to freaking grow. It needs jobs and people to get more retail business. Education in our state sucks and it's certainly not strong in Starkville (State excluded). Really need the area to grow, but MS is so backwards nothing will ever happen here.
But, State is a great place and our program is top 3 in fan support. It's top 15 from a historical standpoint. With the upgrades and obvious commitment, it can be a top 5 program. I have no doubts about that.

Agreed. Sure Starkville has come a long way in some areas but I think the town is too focused on new apartment complexes and bars, which there's nothing wrong with either it's just that outside of eating and drinking there is not much to do in town.

BrunswickDawg
05-29-2018, 10:08 AM
Agreed. Sure Starkville has come a long way in some areas but I think the town is too focused on new apartment complexes and bars, which there's nothing wrong with either it's just that outside of eating and drinking there is not much to do in town.

You just described most college towns I've been in lately - or at least those with growing student populations. Starkville isn't Athens, Knoxville or Nashville, but I'd stack it up against any city where the college/university is the only reason the city even exists. Unfortunately for us, most of the SEC schools are in actual population centers so we get looked down upon. But, go to a place like Statesboro, GA; Ruston, LA; Clemson, SC; and you will see Starkville stacks up fairly well

drummerdawg
05-29-2018, 11:48 AM
You just described most college towns I've been in lately - or at least those with growing student populations. Starkville isn't Athens, Knoxville or Nashville, but I'd stack it up against any city where the college/university is the only reason the city even exists. Unfortunately for us, most of the SEC schools are in actual population centers so we get looked down upon. But, go to a place like Statesboro, GA; Ruston, LA; Clemson, SC; and you will see Starkville stacks up fairly well

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Oxford is smaller than Starkville but they don't get looked down on, in fact they get the opposite of what Starkville does. I've been to most of those places you listed and do we really want to be compared to Ruston? Statesboro is actually a nice place btw with a lot more to do than Starkville. If you really think Starkville is just like every other college town then you're mistaken. Outside of the bar and restaurant scene there is dick to do in Starkville and that's why people make fun of it so much. The fact that people bash on Vegas doesn't have as much to do with population (see Oxford) as it does the actual town. Hell, Starkville doesn't even have a bowling alley anymore, has an outdated movie theater, and no real shopping areas worth anything. This is the attitude that keeps the town so far behind every other. People think that "we're just like everyone else", that is simply not true.

ScoobaDawg
05-29-2018, 12:01 PM
Kendall Rogers on OOB this morning said he’d be surprised if it wasn’t McDonnell or Schlossnagle and that the job is trending towards Schlossnagle but nothing is set in stone yet. He’s very dialed in and knows more then anyone of all the media guys. Everything looks like it is lining up.
Podcast is up. http://www.thezone1059.com/audio-vault/

Bothrops
05-29-2018, 12:42 PM
I don't think that would matter. People out side the SEC don't know shit about MSU and never will. I went over to SFA football message board and one guy thinks our football team is in a rebuild year and he think they have a chance to beat us.

People in the SEC don't know much about MSU.

DawgFromOxford
05-29-2018, 12:48 PM
Sorry, but I have to disagree. Oxford is smaller than Starkville but they don't get looked down on, in fact they get the opposite of what Starkville does.

In fairness, Oxford was nothing but the bar and restaurant scene up until the past 5 to 10 years. They had everything we have in Starkville and we had everything they had in Oxford. The difference to me is Oxford has always looked nicer as a city. I'm not sure if thats due to better building codes, richer population or what, but the point is they were in the same place we were. Per usual, Starkville is lagging, but I think we are now moving in the right direction.

beretta
05-29-2018, 01:39 PM
In fairness, Oxford was nothing but the bar and restaurant scene up until the past 5 to 10 years. They had everything we have in Starkville and we had everything they had in Oxford. The difference to me is Oxford has always looked nicer as a city. I'm not sure if thats due to better building codes, richer population or what, but the point is they were in the same place we were. Per usual, Starkville is lagging, but I think we are now moving in the right direction.

Safe analysis.....I live in Oxford and have to work in Starkville usually 1 day a week......the cities are fairly similar.....Oxford is not Mecca, and Starkville is not a cow town.....They are mirror images of each other, actually. I only give oxford a slight edge because of the public school system.....its good.

biggun
05-29-2018, 06:06 PM
Safe analysis.....I live in Oxford and have to work in Starkville usually 1 day a week......the cities are fairly similar.....Oxford is not Mecca, and Starkville is not a cow town.....They are mirror images of each other, actually. I only give oxford a slight edge because of the public school system.....its good.

Come on, I am a huge die hard Dawg, but Oxford, the town, stomps Starkville in every way - The square, restaurants, bars, festivals, housing, education, condo’s, etc. Starkville has come a long way from when I graduated in 92 but it still has light years to go to catch up to just being an average SEC college town. Winning fairly big on the field with Dak helped drive demand for change but far more needs to happen, especially downtown, to make Starkville the town it could be

Dawg61
05-29-2018, 06:19 PM
Come on, I am a huge die hard Dawg, but Oxford, the town, stomps Starkville in every way - The square, restaurants, bars, festivals, housing, education, condo’s, etc. Starkville has come a long way from when I graduated in 92 but it still has light years to go to catch up to just being an average SEC college town. Winning fairly big on the field with Dak helped drive demand for change but far more needs to happen, especially downtown, to make Starkville the town it could be

Um Oxford doesn't stomp Starkville in every way because you're forgetting one very important part. The people. I'd much much rather live in Starkville with more down to earth friendly and welcoming type of people than rich racist stuck up pricks and snobby gold digging bitches everywhere.