PDA

View Full Version : Who is better?....

maroonmania
10-09-2013, 07:36 AM
the current 2-3 2013 MSU team or the 2012 MSU team that was 5-0 at this point? Go.

Personally, I think its very close but would probably give a slight nod to this year's team just based on better overall defensive play. Not sure the 2012 team could have won any of the 3 games we've lost this year in the same situation.

Rick Danko
10-09-2013, 07:41 AM
At this point I believe the 2012 team would have the exact same record. Based on what I have seen and JMHO, the 2013 team is better at offense and front 7 on defense, but our DB's from 2012 in this defensive scheme I believe would have thrived (except when playing LSU; how did they get Megatron and Ochocinco playing for them at the same time)

Jack Lambert
10-09-2013, 08:14 AM
At this point I believe the 2012 team would have the exact same record. Based on what I have seen and JMHO, the 2013 team is better at offense and front 7 on defense, but our DB's from 2012 in this defensive scheme I believe would have thrived (except when playing LSU; how did they get Megatron and Ochocinco playing for them at the same time)

I am going to disagree a little with you. I think under our current defensive plan our two CB's from last year would be lighting it up and those two WR for LSU would have had trouble. The two we had last year were big, fast and experience. This year they are Freshman and need some growing up.

ShotgunDawg
10-09-2013, 08:22 AM
This is an excellent thread:

I personally think that both teams would have the exact same record, but this year's team is better at pretty much every position except CB.

This year's offense is more potent due to Dak, Tubby playing well, a more physical running, and what because of what Bear brings to the table.

Defensively, it isn't even close. Its tough to say how last year's defense would play under Collins scheme, but, from a personnel standpoint, our defensive line is light years better than last year. Quay is playing better, Preston Smith is damn near dominating, and Chris Jones is already playing near the level of Fletcher Cox and he doesn't even know what the hell he is doing yet.

Political Hack
10-09-2013, 08:46 AM
this team, by a mile. It's our ridiculously tough schedule. Strick may as well place us in the NFC South this year with the way he managed it.

Barking 13
10-09-2013, 08:50 AM

I personally think that both teams would have the exact same record, but this year's team is better at pretty much every position except CB.

This year's offense is more potent due to Dak, Tubby playing well, a more physical running, and what because of what Bear brings to the table.

Defensively, it isn't even close. Its tough to say how last year's defense would play under Collins scheme, but, from a personnel standpoint, our defensive line is light years better than last year. Quay is playing better, Preston Smith is damn near dominating, and Chris Jones is already playing near the level of Fletcher Cox and he doesn't even know what the hell he is doing yet.

X10

maroonmania
10-09-2013, 12:26 PM

Was really trying to make the comparison on just how the teams were playing at the time including the coaching. So part of the reason I was giving this year's team the nod was because I do like Collins as DC over having Wilson as DC. Personnel wise on defense its very close because our DL has improved this year but our secondary is weaker.

CadaverDawg
10-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Great thread.

This year's team would beat last year's team's ass. We had no offense AND no defense last year in the grand scheme of things. This year we are way better offensively now that Dak has emerged, and are much better defensively as well overall. I think the records would be the same right now, but this year's team would beat last year's by 10-14 points IMO

mcain31
10-09-2013, 02:21 PM
I'd give the edge to this year's team. The over all talent level and coaching staff are much improved over the 2012 team and coaching staff.

Bothrops
10-09-2013, 04:52 PM
We might have won at Auburn (this year) with last year's squad. But it's hard to tell because our d-line was freaking terrible. Though this year, we miss that experience level we had at receiver and corner, and I knew we would. We had 3 or 4 productive guys at receiver and two stars with Bumphis and Smith. Defensively, however, we are better overall except at corner. Our d-line is better 5 fold. It's close but I like this years's team a little better overall.

If we can get more receivers to improve their skills and increase production, we could have a pretty bad ass offense next year.

RC3
10-09-2013, 05:01 PM
I don't have anything to base this on other than my own two eyes. This team appears much better but most importantly I see steady improvement each week. I never saw that last year. Things are ok. We may only win 5 or 6 this year but I think next year could be special

hailmari
10-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Special year amongst a special 2015 in-state recruiting class.

CadaverDawg
10-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Special year amongst a special 2015 in-state recruiting class.

Good point.

I just wish like hell we could find a way to win 6 this year to keep the streak alive heading into next year