PDA

View Full Version : Some things about MSU and Ole Miss baseball

Todd4State
05-27-2018, 07:10 PM
Remember last year how bad Ole Miss was and they missed the postseason? They had a bunch of freshmen and a couple of upperclassmen leading the team like Colby Bortles. This year our team has a similar make up- a couple of upperclassmen leading the way in Mangum, Stovall, and LA and then mostly freshmen and Gilbert is a newcomer as well. The difference is this:

1. We also had to deal with a new stadium being built which put us on the road a lot.

2. We have had to deal with a coaching scandal early in the season followed by an inevitable coaching change. We've had to go with an interim coach all year and that also means that we have essentially one less coach than everyone else in the league.

3. Ole Miss's recruiting class was rated in the top 5 while our class this year was in the 20's.

4. We had to have fall practice mostly in the Palmeiro Center and Smith-Wills Stadium. That's not normal and it makes learning and practice more difficult.

With all of that going on....

1. We are probably a two seed in a regional this year- maybe a three. But we probably aren't missing the postseason.

2. We still won the Governor's Cup.

3. We won 15 SEC games- including becoming the only SEC team to win a series from Florida- and swept them at that.

It's very reasonable to believe that we would have had a much better season with a stable coach. Much less a completed stadium. We all see the jump that Ole Miss made from last year to this year and that was without many of the disadvantages that we faced.

What's this team going to be like next year with:

1. Not just a coach- but an elite coaching staff.

2. A new stadium that will probably be packed out at least on the weekends.

3. A top 10 recruiting class coming in to add to this years group which has looked very good for freshmen. Better IMO as freshmen than our number one class did in 1995 of their freshman year. And that group ended up in Omaha twice.

4. Postseason experience.

After this postseason is over we will end the transition period at MSU and launch what I think will be the most promising era in MSU baseball history.

Commercecomet24
05-27-2018, 07:16 PM
Heck yeah, Todd! That's right on! Great post!

05-27-2018, 07:18 PM
I just hope they don’t win it all

Our future is bright, sure, but it’ll be terrible if they win the whole thing

Activated Alpha
05-27-2018, 07:22 PM
How did they get that top 5 class again? And I agree about them not wanting to win a championship. Their fans are already insufferable, but if they won they would be downright assholes.

Commercecomet24
05-27-2018, 07:22 PM
Unm has a good team but let's not forget they were 3 outs away from going 2 and out in this tournament. They always find a way to choke in the NCAA tournament and this year will be no different.

Homedawg
05-27-2018, 07:44 PM
Remember last year how bad Ole Miss was and they missed the postseason? They had a bunch of freshmen and a couple of upperclassmen leading the team like Colby Bortles. This year our team has a similar make up- a couple of upperclassmen leading the way in Mangum, Stovall, and LA and then mostly freshmen and Gilbert is a newcomer as well. The difference is this:

1. We also had to deal with a new stadium being built which put us on the road a lot.

2. We have had to deal with a coaching scandal early in the season followed by an inevitable coaching change. We've had to go with an interim coach all year and that also means that we have essentially one less coach than everyone else in the league.

3. Ole Miss's recruiting class was rated in the top 5 while our class this year was in the 20's.

4. We had to have fall practice mostly in the Palmeiro Center and Smith-Wills Stadium. That's not normal and it makes learning and practice more difficult.

With all of that going on....

1. We are probably a two seed in a regional this year- maybe a three. But we probably aren't missing the postseason.

2. We still won the Governor's Cup.

3. We won 15 SEC games- including becoming the only SEC team to win a series from Florida- and swept them at that.

It's very reasonable to believe that we would have had a much better season with a stable coach. Much less a completed stadium. We all see the jump that Ole Miss made from last year to this year and that was without many of the disadvantages that we faced.

What's this team going to be like next year with:

1. Not just a coach- but an elite coaching staff.

2. A new stadium that will probably be packed out at least on the weekends.

3. A top 10 recruiting class coming in to add to this years group which has looked very good for freshmen. Better IMO as freshmen than our number one class did in 1995 of their freshman year. And that group ended up in Omaha twice.

4. Postseason experience.

After this postseason is over we will end the transition period at MSU and launch what I think will be the most promising era in MSU baseball history.

Good post- but they did have some rotation guys come back. If we get small back then we have a good step to the same. But we have to have some instant jc impact coming in to get there. We just lose to much pitching otherwise.
ETA I do t know if we ever have another class that has the following- dubose, Jackson, Lee, Hauswauld, Freeman, Piatt, DaBbs, Patton ever again...and there were more

SailingDawg
05-27-2018, 08:01 PM
What's our SEC tournament history?

Todd4State
05-27-2018, 08:07 PM
How did they get that top 5 class again? And I agree about them not wanting to win a championship. Their fans are already insufferable, but if they won they would be downright assholes.

That group had a lot of legacies- Kessinger and Dilliard, and you also had Oxford HS having a team with several D-I prospects, and a couple of guys that were highly rated like Rolison and Cooper Johnson that they were able to get through the draft. They were fortunate with Rolison and a lot of scouts wondered if Johnson would hit- he still hasn't as a sophomore- but those are guys that elevate a recruiting ranking.

Todd4State
05-27-2018, 08:10 PM
I just hope they don’t win it all

Our future is bright, sure, but it’ll be terrible if they win the whole thing

It might make us more focused on winning the whole thing ourselves. I'm not sure why a few of our fans are worried about this at this point before the regional pairings even come out though.

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2018, 08:14 PM
That top 10 class coming in is about to get annihilated by the draft

Todd4State
05-27-2018, 08:15 PM
Good post- but they did have some rotation guys come back. If we get small back then we have a good step to the same. But we have to have some instant jc impact coming in to get there. We just lose to much pitching otherwise.
ETA I do t know if we ever have another class that has the following- dubose, Jackson, Lee, Hauswauld, Freeman, Piatt, DaBbs, Patton ever again...and there were more

Small is very key. If Ginn does indeed come to school I think he could be an instant impact guy. I think Keegan James could make a big leap potentially. We need Ashcraft to get healthy. I also really like Tyler Spring who is a JUCO. The pitching staff is going to be a question mark in the offseason. At least Riley Self looks close to being back to where he was and we'll see how Spencer Price looks in the spring.

I'm optimistic that our new coach will be able to bring in comparable classes as the 1994 class or at least consistently in the top 5. I think our problem in the 1990's was we followed up that number one class with classes that I think were rated in the 20's. If we bring in 3-4 top 10 classes in a row we're going to amass a lot of talent and depth.

Todd4State
05-27-2018, 08:16 PM

So is everyone else's. It's all relative.

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2018, 08:24 PM

Perhaps, but Florida is about to get Justin Verlander 2.0 on campus because he got hurt this season. He was supposed to go in the top 20 picks & hasn't pitched this season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OpTEo-fW7Q

Ole Miss' current team is build off of quality players that were 2nd & 3rd round high school prospects getting to campus.

It is what it is & is impossible predict at times, but our class is going to get ravaged while others won't quite

Rick Danko
05-27-2018, 08:24 PM

Is it our coach who doesn?t even exist yet?s fault of this?

Homedawg
05-27-2018, 08:25 PM
Small is very key. If Ginn does indeed come to school I think he could be an instant impact guy. I think Keegan James could make a big leap potentially. We need Ashcraft to get healthy. I also really like Tyler Spring who is a JUCO. The pitching staff is going to be a question mark in the offseason. At least Riley Self looks close to being back to where he was and we'll see how Spencer Price looks in the spring.

I'm optimistic that our new coach will be able to bring in comparable classes as the 1994 class or at least consistently in the top 5. I think our problem in the 1990's was we followed up that number one class with classes that I think were rated in the 20's. If we bring in 3-4 top 10 classes in a row we're going to amass a lot of talent and depth.

Again I agree w the new coach can come in and compete w new classes. The difference between now and the early 90’s was that was when the “money” started flowing and we lost tons, and literally weren’t prepared for it. And it wasn’t just us. I might get my years screws up but we lost a 1, 2nd , 3rd and 4th in 90 whole hanging on to an 11th in jay powell and a 20th in Matt Carpenter. Then lost a 2 firsts, a fourth and a 6th in 91 while hanging on a sixth in Ron brown. Also, Carlton Loewer, and Kyle Kennedy. Then the steal of our class was Gary Rath, who had talent, but was a great pitcher because he had balls. I’m sure a fan fave of I seen it. Again a different era of how things happened bc now you don’t get drafted that high wo them “knowing” they are going to sign you. The flyers are taken rounds 11-15 today.

Commercecomet24
05-27-2018, 08:27 PM

This. Happens to everyone. We gonna still have some really good pieces coming in. Really good! You're right about Tyler Spring, Todd. He has some filthy stuff. Kendall Graveman like. Our class is going to be just fine.

Homedawg
05-27-2018, 08:28 PM

Don’t worry about class ranking until collegiate baseball comes out w list draft one. Otherwise it’s a waste of time and energy

BuckyIsAB****
05-27-2018, 08:29 PM
What's our SEC tournament history?

We've won it 7 times. Tied for 2nd most behind LSU

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2018, 08:34 PM
Don’t worry about class ranking until collegiate baseball comes out w list draft one. Otherwise it’s a waste of time and energy

Sure

Todd4State
05-27-2018, 08:34 PM

I agree. PG doesn't count JUCO signees and that throws off their rankings for everyone. Baseball America is random and all over the place. Collegiate baseball takes into account draft losses and JUCO players.

Commercecomet24
05-27-2018, 08:35 PM
I agree. PG doesn't count JUCO signees and that throws off their rankings for everyone. Baseball America is random and all over the place. Collegiate baseball takes into account draft losses and JUCO players.

This.

msstate7
05-27-2018, 08:47 PM
I think we can make a big jump next season, but we gonna need some arms. Om has a legit 1st rounder in Rolison anchoring that staff. They have so much freaking pitching depth that they lost an unbelievable back of bullpen arm in woolfork, and end up winning the sec tourney. Look at that tourney run... after getting blasted in their 1st sec tourney game, they gave up 6 runs in 4 game to win it. We can barely hold a team down through 4 innings on a Sunday, and we have a better staff (on paper) than we will have next season

HoopsDawg
05-27-2018, 08:54 PM
I think we can make a big jump next season, but we gonna need some arms. Om has a legit 1st rounder in Rolison anchoring that staff. They have so much freaking pitching depth that they lost an unbelievable back of bullpen arm in woolfork, and end up winning the sec tourney. Look at that tourney run... after getting blasted in their 1st sec tourney game, they gave up 6 runs in 4 game to win it. We can barely hold a team down through 4 innings on a Sunday, and we have a better staff (on paper) than we will have next season

Need JT and Tyler to be weekend guys and need a couple of grad transfers.

msstate7
05-27-2018, 08:58 PM
Need JT and Tyler to be weekend guys and need a couple of grad transfers.

In other thread, steakonastick thinks we get small back. Would be a game changer for next season to have a real Friday night guy and 2 legit back of bullpen guys in self and price. That's the recipe we had in 2013 to pair with a great lineup, which we will have

Commercecomet24
05-27-2018, 09:00 PM
In other thread, steakonastick thinks we get small back. Would be a game changer for next season to have a real Friday night guy and 2 legit back of bullpen guys in self and price. That's the recipe we had in 2013 to pair with a great lineup, which we will have

I've heard Small will be back as well.

HoopsDawg
05-27-2018, 09:02 PM

Yes, that would obviously be huge. Small could probably benefit from 1 more year. Needs to get his velocity back to 92-93.

msstate7
05-27-2018, 09:05 PM
I've heard Small will be back as well.

Great

msstate7
05-27-2018, 09:06 PM
Yes, that would obviously be huge. Small could probably benefit from 1 more year. Needs to get his velocity back to 92-93.

If he is hitting 92-93 next season with that breaking pitch, he will be very tough

Bully13
05-27-2018, 09:17 PM
If he is hitting 92-93 next season with that breaking pitch, he will be very tough

Small can throw a 92 mph curve?

Bulldog1
05-27-2018, 09:18 PM
Small coming back is going to be huge.

msstate7
05-27-2018, 09:20 PM
Small can throw a 92 mph curve?

Haha, no... 92-93 fastball with his breaking pitch would be really good combo. I wrote that wrong

maroonmania
05-27-2018, 09:28 PM

Whatever the root cause, the pitching injury bug has taken away any chance of us being a really good team since 2016. Until we fully recover from that and have enough legitimate SEC arms available nothing will change, not even with an improved offense next year. We had to use 2 graduate transfer pitchers just to get by this year. Those holes will have to be filled again next year by new pitchers.

MarketingBully
05-27-2018, 09:52 PM

Would not surprise me one bit to see Self as one of our weekend starters. He has three pitches right now to go with his bad ass cutter. If he continues to work on them, we will have three great weekend starters. We have some great pitching coming in and if Ginn makes it on campus our pitching depth will be way better then this year.

Homedawg
05-27-2018, 10:10 PM
Would not surprise me one bit to see Self as one of our weekend starters. He has three pitches right now to go with his bad ass cutter. If he continues to work on them, we will have three great weekend starters. We have some great pitching coming in and if Ginn makes it on campus our pitching depth will be way better then this year.

Self isn?t a starter. Great pitcher. He?s a bullpen guy. Period. He doesn?t have 3 pitches. Stop reading articles.
ETA he does have a bad ass cutter so you are right about that.

Todd4State
05-27-2018, 11:21 PM

I think if Small comes back he can potentially get himself up into the first round. If our rotation is Small, Ginn, and James/Spring and our top two bullpen guys are Self and Price we should be OK. At least that is some talent to work with. And then there is McQuary who needs to figure it out pretty soon.