PDA

View Full Version : Day 1 exits in the SECT suck.

CadaverDawg
05-26-2018, 08:49 AM
I think it's good for rest, but I'm starting to think this might cool our bats off with such a long delay. Sure would make a rainy Memorial weekend more enjoyable if the Dawgs were still playing. Guess I'll just have to root against Ole Miss and root for whoever is playing TCU instead.

https://media.tenor.com/images/03f4b2a1cd223cdb3ba687e67e7ef4eb/tenor.gif

msstate7
05-26-2018, 08:53 AM
Let our hitters face our pitching (save a few) in practice... should have their bats red hot for regional play

Cooterpoot
05-26-2018, 08:55 AM
If it?s so good to get the rest, why don?t the teams that aren?t on the bubble exit early too? FL, AR, OM...they don?t seem to want that rest everybody talks about. But every year we claim it?s great when we lose.
This year, with our terrible pen, it?s probably good. But most years it?s as much an excuse as a need.

msstate7
05-26-2018, 08:59 AM
If it?s so good to get the rest, why don?t the teams that aren?t on the bubble exit early too? FL, AR, OM...they don?t seem to want that rest everybody talks about. But every year we claim it?s great when we lose.
This year, with our terrible pen, it?s probably good. But most years it?s as much an excuse as a need.
Pilk has struggled keeping velocity up this season, and small was dealing with a blister issue. I'm glad we lost. Had we won, small would've pitched and potentially made a little blister deal a big deal. Rest is good for our 2 best starters imo. We go nowhere without them

CadaverDawg
05-26-2018, 09:20 AM
Let our hitters face our pitching (save a few) in practice... should have their bats red hot for regional play

Ha, very true

The Federalist Engineer
05-26-2018, 09:23 AM
I think it's good for rest, but I'm starting to think this might cool our bats off with such a long delay. Sure would make a rainy Memorial weekend more enjoyable if the Dawgs were still playing. Guess I'll just have to root against Ole Miss and root for whoever is playing TCU instead.

The 2012 team won the SECT and looked hot - then lost to Samford 0-5 with Stratton on the mound

CadaverDawg
05-26-2018, 09:24 AM

I don't think anybody is using rest as an excuse to why we lost, that makes no sense considering we pitched our Ace on short rest. It's just a silver lining once you do lose early, especially when we have so few arms we can depend on. Outside of winning the SECT, it had no benefit to us...and we weren't winning that marathon with our pitching depth.

CadaverDawg
05-26-2018, 09:24 AM
The 2012 team won the SECT and looked hot - then lost to Samford 0-5 with Stratton on the mound

Yep

basedog
05-26-2018, 10:40 AM
Pilk has struggled keeping velocity up this season, and small was dealing with a blister issue. I'm glad we lost. Had we won, small would've pitched and potentially made a little blister deal a big deal. Rest is good for our 2 best starters imo. We go nowhere without them

" I'm glad we lost. Had we won, small would've pitched and potentially made a little blister deal a big deal. Rest is good for our 2 best starters imo. We go nowhere without them"

Are you predicting we win whatever regional we go to? For me, I'm never glad when we don't win, just saying.

msstate7
05-26-2018, 10:57 AM
" I'm glad we lost. Had we won, small would've pitched and potentially made a little blister deal a big deal. Rest is good for our 2 best starters imo. We go nowhere without them"

Are you predicting we win whatever regional we go to? For me, I'm never glad when we don't win, just saying.

No, I'm not predicting a win at the regional. If we had used small and made that blister issue worse though, we would've had zero chance of winning a regional. We will go as far as pilk, small, France, and self can take us. The sec tourney means nothing to me unless we need to win it to make a regional, and I feel we're in. Look at these teams still playing... been playing crazy hours, getting no rest, and most likely missing valuable practice time. I've never cared for the sec tourney.

sleepy dawg
05-26-2018, 11:00 AM

I don't think there's any real correlation. It goes both ways. Some rested teams will do good, some won't. Some teams who played to the end will do good, some won't.

msstate7
05-26-2018, 11:04 AM
I don't think there's any real correlation. It goes both ways. Some rested teams will do good, some won't. Some teams who played to the end will do good, some won't.

The real study would need to break it down like how well the sec tourney champs did in regional play after using just a few pitchers over and over vs tourney champs that won in using only a small number of pitchers. All champs are not created equally... some start a day later and stay in the winner's bracket, some start a day earlier and come out of loser's bracket, etc

Todd4State
05-26-2018, 11:20 AM
The SEC Tournament is nothing but a cash grab by the SEC. One of my least favorite baseball events. And now they play it in Birmingham's version of Smith-Wills because of politics when there are over 15 places better to play it- including one in Birmingham.

When C-USA plays their league tournament at a better venue than the SEC there is a problem.

Quaoarsking
05-26-2018, 12:27 PM
The real study would need to break it down like how well the sec tourney champs did in regional play after using just a few pitchers over and over vs tourney champs that won in using only a small number of pitchers. All champs are not created equally... some start a day later and stay in the winner's bracket, some start a day earlier and come out of loser's bracket, etc

A couple years ago, I looked at performance in Hoover vs. performance in Regionals and found no correlation.

Well, there is a correlation in that good teams tend to win games in Hoover and good teams tend to win games in Regionals, but if you take a baseline expectation vs. seeds, there is no correlation with underperformance in Hoover or overperformance in Hoover to any kind of performance in the Regionals at all.

I did not, however, dig deeper into specific pitching staffs, so there could be something there. I suspect there isn't, though.

Leroy Jenkins
05-26-2018, 02:19 PM
Tourney is a money grab. If you truly want it to have meaning back it up to mid-season.

MarketingBully
05-26-2018, 03:05 PM

I think Baylor beats TCU tomorrow. TCU played teams in the Big 12 tournament they had a 4-2 record against this season so far. TCU has played Tech once and pitched their ace against them and then got to play West Virginia twice to go 3-0. When you look at the teams instead of saying wow they are hot it’s not that hard to see why they are 3-0. Baylor swept TCU. But either way go Bears!

MarketingBully
05-26-2018, 03:11 PM
No, I'm not predicting a win at the regional. If we had used small and made that blister issue worse though, we would've had zero chance of winning a regional. We will go as far as pilk, small, France, and self can take us. The sec tourney means nothing to me unless we need to win it to make a regional, and I feel we're in. Look at these teams still playing... been playing crazy hours, getting no rest, and most likely missing valuable practice time. I've never cared for the sec tourney.

We aren’t making a super regional anyway. I think we could go 2-2 but I think we would have gone 2-2 however we performed in Hoover.

Todd4State
05-26-2018, 05:15 PM
I think Baylor beats TCU tomorrow. TCU played teams in the Big 12 tournament they had a 4-2 record against this season so far. TCU has played Tech once and pitched their ace against them and then got to play West Virginia twice to go 3-0. When you look at the teams instead of saying wow they are hot it’s not that hard to see why they are 3-0. Baylor swept TCU. But either way go Bears!

If both teams throw their midweek guys- anything can happen.

MarketingBully
05-26-2018, 05:57 PM
If both teams throw their midweek guys- anything can happen.

Baylor beat Oklahoma twice and Kansas once. Needless to say neither Baylor nor TCU had a hard road to get to their championship game.

Todd4State
05-26-2018, 06:23 PM
Baylor beat Oklahoma twice and Kansas once. Needless to say neither Baylor nor TCU had a hard road to get to their championship game.

Their league is definitely top heavy. That's a big reason why TCU's RPI is not that good.

MarketingBully
05-26-2018, 07:36 PM
I think what sucks worst of all is we had LSU beat and were up 3-0 which should have been enough to beat them had our pitchers not gone full retard. If Pilk makes the throw to first for the out, we get out of the fifth with no runs scored. If Neff starts the double play by throwing it to second, they don’t score there either and of course if Henderson just puts in Self any earlier instead of Smith or Gordon, they don’t get anything those times either. It’s not that we lost to LSU it’s how we lost and those bastards are more then likely going to make it all the way to Sunday.

Todd4State
05-26-2018, 08:42 PM
I think what sucks worst of all is we had LSU beat and were up 3-0 which should have been enough to beat them had our pitchers not gone full retard. If Pilk makes the throw to first for the out, we get out of the fifth with no runs scored. If Neff starts the double play by throwing it to second, they don’t score there either and of course if Henderson just puts in Self any earlier instead of Smith or Gordon, they don’t get anything those times either. It’s not that we lost to LSU it’s how we lost and those bastards are more then likely going to make it all the way to Sunday.

We just didn't play well enough to win. It's games like that where the general instability of our program rears its ugly head.