PDA

View Full Version : Epileptic CFB player ruled ineligible by NCAA

BeastMan
05-25-2018, 10:23 AM
Because he uses cbd oil to prevent seizures. It makes him healthy and normal. Screw the NCAA

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-walkon-CJ-Harris-ineligible-because-of-prescription-for-cannabis-oil-to-fight-seizures-118504577

TheRef
05-25-2018, 10:23 AM
Wow....

confucius say
05-25-2018, 10:28 AM
Is it considered a PED?

TheRef
05-25-2018, 10:30 AM
From the article, here's the breakdown

The NCAA does not allow athletes to inject THC. Cannabis oil contains THC, which would register on drug tests.

BeastMan
05-25-2018, 10:31 AM
Is it considered a PED?

It’s not a PED. At all

MetEdDawg
05-25-2018, 10:33 AM
Not to bring politics into this, but I'm a conservative and marijuana and medical marijuana and all that is a hot button issue. And I think this ruling sucks. Kid isn't trying to gain a competitive advantage. Trying to lead a normal life. Hate it for this kid.

BeastMan
05-25-2018, 10:34 AM
From the article, here's the breakdown

I changed op to prevent confusion.

Lord McBuckethead
05-25-2018, 10:34 AM
Why the hate on pot for athletes? This shit needs to be legal like yesterday.
Reading Favre's latest comments about how many painkillers he took daily, shit man he could have died.
Weed could have helped it.

Tbonewannabe
05-25-2018, 10:36 AM
Is it considered a PED?

Don't they include marijuana as a PED? That would be the 100% opposite of a PED unless you were in competitive eating. Once big pharma figures out how to prevent people from growing their own and rely on corporations for the supply, then it will get legalized. Mary Jane would eliminate too many drugs without a lot of the side affects. A lot of money tied into R&D. There is a study showing how cannabis oil cures Crohn's disease, as in no longer needing medicine. Right now someone is on medication for life and it is just helping the symptoms, not a cure. That doesn't even factor in how much better it is than most pain medications. Morphine burns up the pain receptors where Marjiuana doesn't. God put some things on this earth for a reason.

Lord McBuckethead
05-25-2018, 10:38 AM
Not to bring politics into this, but I'm a conservative and marijuana and medical marijuana and all that is a hot button issue. And I think this ruling sucks. Kid isn't trying to gain a competitive advantage. Trying to lead a normal life. Hate it for this kid.

I am not really sure what Conservative means anymore. What is the conservative viewpoint on weed? I would think the conservative viewpoint would be, the government has no business telling me what I can and cannot do when it comes to something as comparably harmless as weed. Now crack cocaine or heroin, yes. But weed?? Come on.

Just tax the shit out of it, earmark that money for education only, and lets get real here. The state of Mississippi and Alabama needs to stop kidding themselves with their conservative values and get with the program here.

BeastMan
05-25-2018, 10:38 AM
Reading Favre's latest comments about how many painkillers he took daily, shit man he could have died.

Absolutely but this is even more egregious. It’s not about pain management. It’s about preventing seizures. I’d love to see the scrips of those in the NCAA and congress. My hunch is that it’s full of mood stabilizers, benzos, and opioids. All while they turn their nose to kids like this. Disgusting

BeastMan
05-25-2018, 10:39 AM

Youre right and it’s sad society cannot make common sense decisions.

Lord McBuckethead
05-25-2018, 10:41 AM
my helmet could be converted to a bong pretty easily. Just saying.

Lord McBuckethead
05-25-2018, 10:43 AM
Absolutely but this is even more egregious. It’s not about pain management. It’s about preventing seizures. I’d love to see the scrips of those in the NCAA and congress. My hunch is that it’s full of mood stabilizers, benzos, and opioids. All while they turn their nose to kids like this. Disgusting

yep. If you have a medical need for horse urine style steriods, I am cool with athletes using it under the direction of a doctor.
So the NCAA can trump this kids need for this drug to stop szeisures and play football. F the NCAA.

Tbonewannabe
05-25-2018, 10:44 AM

A lot of football players roll the dice because those type of painkillers on a consistent basis ruin your body. The biggest drug problem now in the United States is prescription painkillers. I wonder what Nancy Regan would say about that. My dad recently went to a doctor with issues from when he had polio. One of his legs is several inches shorter and now he is having problems from 60 years of walking crooked. One of his doctors referred him and all the guy wanted to do was give him a prescription. A lot of doctors now are drug dealers but they just do it legally. My wife's uncle had a doctor prescribe him 150 pain pills because of issues with his back. He started going to the chiropractor and it has helped greatly. He went back to the doctor and he tried to give him more pain pills. Her uncle told the doc that if he went through 150 pills since last time that he would have been dead.

MetEdDawg
05-25-2018, 10:45 AM
I am not really sure what Conservative means anymore. What is the conservative viewpoint on weed? I would think the conservative viewpoint would be, the government has no business telling me what I can and cannot do when it comes to something as comparably harmless as weed. Now crack cocaine or heroin, yes. But weed?? Come on.

Just tax the shit out of it, earmark that money for education only, and lets get real here. The state of Mississippi and Alabama needs to stop kidding themselves with their conservative values and get with the program here.

Most conservatives think it should be illegal. While I agree with that in regard to the recreational growing and use/distribution of it, the medical applications for it are undeniable. I break from most conservatives in that area because modifications can be made to marijuana for legitimate medical use. Like in a situation like this. Kid isn't doped up, high, or otherwise gaining an advantage. The oil is a derivative that's safe and medically has the ability to help this kid.

TheRef
05-25-2018, 10:45 AM
Luckily, the kid is talking to some CC in Mississippi and some NAIA programs to play. So hopefully he gets to fulfill his dreams still.

BeastMan
05-25-2018, 10:50 AM
Luckily, the kid is talking to some CC in Mississippi and some NAIA programs to play. So hopefully he gets to fulfill his dreams still.

His dream is to play at Auburn

Tbonewannabe
05-25-2018, 10:59 AM
Most conservatives think it should be illegal. While I agree with that in regard to the recreational growing and use/distribution of it, the medical applications for it are undeniable. I break from most conservatives in that area because modifications can be made to marijuana for legitimate medical use. Like in a situation like this. Kid isn't doped up, high, or otherwise gaining an advantage. The oil is a derivative that's safe and medically has the ability to help this kid.

Just plain marjiuana that is not laced with anything isn't really any different than alcohol. Saying that, I have never partaken but I have been around people who have. I don't know how a "conservative" can be against it and not against alcohol. I guess alcohol being in the Bible is the difference. God put all the plants and animals on this Earth for a reason. Some we haven't figured out but I would think if nothing else marijuana is a God given pain management tool.

Bully13
05-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Count me in the conservative group that wants weed legalized. I'm a former pot head of many years. I've got too many years of personal experience with drugs and alcohol for anyone with little to no experience with them to try and "educate" me on weed. I watched my dad wither away from pancreatic cancer back in the late 90's. After a bunch of back and forth arguing about weed, I finally convinced him to try some. He could finally eat and he was shocked at how much better his final few months went prior to his death due to weed. 17 doctors too. He had no business taking radiation and chemo because he had a zero chance for survival. shoulda just kept firing up the joints and gone in much better fashion. The doctors just want to soak your insurance dry, they don't give a 17 about quality of life towards the end, they just want the money.

And 17 the NCAA up their ass with a red hot poker on this guy and his weed oil.

BeastMan
05-25-2018, 11:08 AM
Count me in the conservative group that wants weed legalized. I'm a former pot head of many years. I've got too many years of personal experience with drugs and alcohol for anyone with little to no experience with them to try and "educate" me on weed. I watched my dad wither away from pancreatic cancer back in the late 90's. After a bunch of back and forth arguing about weed, I finally convinced him to try some. He could finally eat and he was shocked at how much better his final few months went prior to his death due to weed. 17 doctors too. He had no business taking radiation and chemo because he had a zero chance for survival. shoulda just kept firing up the joints and gone in much better fashion. The doctors just want to soak your insurance dry, they don't give a 17 about quality of life towards the end, they just want the money.

Preach Bully13. You nailed it

BulldogDX55
05-25-2018, 11:42 AM

Call your congressman and senator's office. They won't listen to a whiny liberal who'd never vote for them anyway like me, but coming from a strong conservative with a personal story like the one you just told, maybe it will change their mind. If they don't move on the issue, then let them know that you will work your ass off to primary them for someone who will.

fishwater99
05-25-2018, 11:44 AM
Glad I am in Colorado. This is just plain stupid by the NCAA.

But hey Jeff Session is from Alabama. You can't fix the ignorant...

BeastMan
05-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Call your congressman and senator's office. They won't listen to a whiny liberal who'd never vote for them anyway like me, but coming from a strong conservative with a personal story like the one you just told, maybe it will change their mind. If they don't move on the issue, then let them know that you will work your ass off to primary them for someone who will.

As far as the MS senate goes, Joel Bomgar did write some legislation for MS medical mj and it went nowhere. If you don’t know about Bomgar, he’s a young guy who also happens to be penecostal. You cannot get more conservative than that. He explained he supports it because he watched both his parents die of cancer in pain. Horrid stories like that are what it going to take but it shouldn’t have to. It’s easily the right decision.

There is a poster on the poli board who says he’s a dr who says mj has zero medicinal value. That’s the idiocy you’re up against. Now if a cute female mj drug rep dropped off lunch at his clinic twice a week, among other incentives, I’m sure he’d change his mind.

Bully13
05-25-2018, 12:06 PM
As far as the MS senate goes, Joel Bomgar did write some legislation for MS medical mj and it went nowhere. If you don’t know about Bomgar, he’s a young guy who also happens to be penecostal. You cannot get more conservative than that. He explained he supports it because he watched both his parents die of cancer in pain. Horrid stories like that are what it going to take but it shouldn’t have to. It’s easily the right decision.

There is a poster on the poli board who says he’s a dr who says mj has zero medicinal value. That’s the idiocy you’re up against. Now if a cute female mj drug rep dropped off lunch at his clinic twice a week, among other incentives, I’m sure he’d change his mind.

There are way to many examples in U.S. medicine that point to the money, not personal health and well being among the patients. Any remedy that comes about that doesn't cost much or require health insurance is often times ignored due to the lure and greed for money. Supplements , diet, and yes sometimes weed is the answer. Much of our diseases are preventable. I've changed my diet over the last 4 months and I've literally lost 2 inches off my waste and have turned back the age clock by snacking throughout the work day on pecans, carrots, celery , radishes, tomatoes, kale salads with cabbage, olive oil, vinegar , lime juice etc... eating whole grain crackers, lima beans, blackeyed peas for starch instead of rice, potoates and breads. My energy level, clarity of the mind and my #2's now are fabulous (sorry for TMI but it's true and important). Oh, and my wife's seen a difference too LOL. Go to "balance of nature" on google and you'll get more info. If you don't like my new diet, you can do it in capsule form. I can assure you it's better than 34's coffee.

I'm never hungry and still eat my share of meat, fish & chicken. I just no longer eat a full "sit down" lunch. just snack all day on fruits, veggies and stuff with high fiber content. all these opiods are nothing but money makers for doctors and big pharma and they're creating a new generation of addicts.

All the processed foods, junk, antibotics (many times also over prescribed) are killing us. There are safer, less expensive ways to be healthy and avoid disease but we are so owned by the medical and big pharma industries.

Tbonewannabe
05-25-2018, 12:51 PM
There are way to many examples in U.S. medicine that point to the money, not personal health and well being among the patients. Any remedy that comes about that doesn't cost much or require health insurance is often times ignored due to the lure and greed for money. Supplements , diet, and yes sometimes weed is the answer. Much of our diseases are preventable. I've changed my diet over the last 4 months and I've literally lost 2 inches off my waste and have turned back the age clock by snacking throughout the work day on pecans, carrots, celery , radishes, tomatoes, kale salads with cabbage, olive oil, vinegar , lime juice etc... eating whole grain crackers, lima beans, blackeyed peas for starch instead of rice, potoates and breads. My energy level, clarity of the mind and my #2's now are fabulous (sorry for TMI but it's true and important). Oh, and my wife's seen a difference too LOL. Go to "balance of nature" on google and you'll get more info. If you don't like my new diet, you can do it in capsule form. I can assure you it's better than 34's coffee.

I'm never hungry and still eat my share of meat, fish & chicken. I just no longer eat a full "sit down" lunch. just snack all day on fruits, veggies and stuff with high fiber content. all these opiods are nothing but money makers for doctors and big pharma and they're creating a new generation of addicts.

All the processed foods, junk, antibotics (many times also over prescribed) are killing us. There are safer, less expensive ways to be healthy and avoid disease but we are so owned by the medical and big pharma industries.

We really haven't had that much data to see what the long term affects of processed foods or preservatives do to the human body. I personally think the increase in cancer might be associated with a lot of this. I am about to start a new diet similar to what you are saying.

Not saying the conspiracies are correct but big Pharma would take a gigantic hit in profit if they cured diseases instead of treating symptoms. If there was some cheap quick cure for cancer, it would probably be buried somewhere and only known to the super wealthy.

Bully13
05-25-2018, 01:09 PM
We really haven't had that much data to see what the long term affects of processed foods or preservatives do to the human body. I personally think the increase in cancer might be associated with a lot of this. I am about to start a new diet similar to what you are saying.

Not saying the conspiracies are correct but big Pharma would take a gigantic hit in profit if they cured diseases instead of treating symptoms. If there was some cheap quick cure for cancer, it would probably be buried somewhere and only known to the super wealthy.

I think all the sugars, high fructose corn syrups, and other shit are the killers. I'm not scared of GMO's though. Veggies, fruit & tons of fiber are the keys though. That of which I'm totally convinced cuz I'm living it. I wished I'd known about this shit 15 years ago though damnit.

sleepy dawg
05-25-2018, 04:18 PM
It is incredibly sad to see someone's dreams crushed over someone else's agenda who don't even really know why they're following that agenda in the first place.

Also, this is the longest thread I've seen in a while where seemingly controversial statements have been made yet everyone is being respectful toward each other and all on the same page. Good work guys. Way to be awesome and respectful of each other just like Cadaver knew we could!

Political Hack
05-25-2018, 05:03 PM
So stupid. The NCAA is incapable of understanding common sense.

dawgs
05-25-2018, 09:44 PM

It's almost like heathcare shouldn't be run by for profit companies who value the bottom line over saving and bettering lives. An idealistic CEO that wants to actually cure people would be fired by investors as soon as they see the profits tumble and that's a ****ing problem. I know I'm a commie librul elitist snob to most of yall, but it seems like a bunch of us on both sides agree that big pharmaceutical is a huge problem and has no incentive to change.

deadheaddawg
05-25-2018, 11:17 PM
Sounds like the kids family may have been lying

Cannabis oil not reason Auburn rescinded spot to walk-on safety, per source

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/05/cannibis_oil_not_reason_auburn.html

Auburn did not medically clear C.J. Harris and rescinded his spot as a preferred walk-on due to a pre-existing medical condition, not because of the cannabis oil he uses as treatment for epilepsy, according to a source with knowledge of the matter.

Harris, a safety from Warner Robbins, Ga., drew attention this week when his father claimed to WGXA that Auburn rescinded its offer to be a preferred walk-on due to cannabis oil treatment, which is prescribed by a doctor and contains tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main ingredient in marijuana.

"You're taking something away from a kid who's worked so hard in his life to get there," Curtis Harris told WGXA. "And you're just taking it away because he's taking a medication that's helping with his disability."

However, Auburn's medical staff did not clear Harris to play football due to his pre-existing condition of epilepsy and wanted to protect him from any potential head trauma, according to an athletic department source, who said the decision had nothing to do with the THC in his cannabis oil treatment.

The Epilepsy Foundation issued a statement Friday asking the NCAA to review its guidelines on THC to allow for players who use it for medical treatments.

"We hope the NCAA would reconsider their decision and assess C.J. on his character and talent as a football player," Epilepsy Foundation president Phil Gattone said in a statement.

Harris is reportedly considering trying to play at junior colleges and NAIA programs next season.

dickiedawg
05-25-2018, 11:27 PM
This is a Libertarian take. Makes too much sense.

msstate7
05-26-2018, 08:05 AM
His dream is to play at Auburn

According to deadhead's article, auburn didn't clear him

Bully13
05-26-2018, 08:16 AM
According to deadhead's article, auburn didn't clear him

My sister had epilepsy when she was a toddler up until she was about 6 or 7. Medication and time completely healed her of it. It's a disease that you can "grow out of" sometimes. I'm no doctor and have only a slight memory back then with my sister's condition and don't claim to know jack about epilepsy. But I'm not clear as to why it would be an issue allowing the guy to give it a go. All football staffs are well equipped with doctors on the ready. Would like to hear an opinion from someone who is better versed in this arena.