PDA

View Full Version : OT: City July 2017 population estimates for cities just released by the Census Bureau

RocketDawg
05-24-2018, 05:24 PM
Starkville and Columbus both shrunk. In fact, every town in the state got smaller that I checked ... Jackson, Tupelo, Meridian, Hattiesburg, Gulfport, and Biloxi. These estimates are for within the city limits, not the 'burbs. Madison (MS) shrunk a little, and Pearl grew by fewer than 100 souls.

Go to census.gov to see any city >5000 in the country.

Lance Harbor
05-24-2018, 06:18 PM
The brain drain continues

Starkville and Columbus both shrunk. In fact, every town in the state got smaller that I checked ... Jackson, Tupelo, Meridian, Hattiesburg, Gulfport, and Biloxi. These estimates are for within the city limits, not the 'burbs. Madison (MS) shrunk a little, and Pearl grew by fewer than 100 souls.

Go to census.gov to see any city >5000 in the country.

parabrave
05-24-2018, 09:50 PM
GPT and Biloxi has everyone moving out to the county.

lastmajordog
05-25-2018, 07:19 AM
delete

Lord McBuckethead
05-25-2018, 08:53 AM
Cause we couldn't count illegals this time.

sleepy dawg
05-25-2018, 09:01 AM
Well since they're trying to turn Madison into a metropolis, I'm not surprised. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to stay here before I have to move to Flora or something.

iPat09
05-25-2018, 09:24 AM
Well since they're trying to turn Madison into a metropolis, I'm not surprised. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to stay here before I have to move to Flora or something.

I have a few friends here who own a realty company, and from what they say, Flora is about to explode. Kinda like what Gluckstadt has done, or what is currently happening to it.

Bully13
05-25-2018, 10:01 AM
How's MS's overall population doing these days? just curious.

Thread Hijack: Any of you Jacksonians familiar with Highland Village? (Northside Dr & 55). An investment firm from up north bought it several years back and from what my mom says, they totally 17'd it up. She owned a store there for a long time but once the dumb yankees came in she and her business bolted for Gluckstadt.

P.S. I was the first one to program that electronic advertising sign there back in '87.

RocketDawg
05-25-2018, 11:48 AM
I have a few friends here who own a realty company, and from what they say, Flora is about to explode. Kinda like what Gluckstadt has done, or what is currently happening to it.

Neither Flora or Gluckstadt show up on the census.gov site. Are they actually incorporated towns, or are they smaller than 5,000 folks?

iPat09
05-25-2018, 06:10 PM
Neither Flora or Gluckstadt show up on the census.gov site. Are they actually incorporated towns, or are they smaller than 5,000 folks?

Flora is small, about 1,500 or so. And Gluckstadt is fighting against incorporation as best they can. The balloon pilot I train with lives just behind Germantown and I hear things all the time.

Bothrops
05-25-2018, 06:53 PM
How's MS's overall population doing these days? just curious.

Shrinking, I do believe.

Rejlector84sports
05-26-2018, 10:05 PM
Any of you Jacksonians familiar with Highland Village?

I pass HV almost every day. When it opened they had a lot of local stores that opened second branches there, along with the three stores that started earlier... A&P, Morgan and Lindsay, and Super D Drugs. Olde Tyme Deli and Shoney's were also attractions.

Outside of Whole Foods taking a huge chunk out of the parking area and the Bravo! and Char restaurants I couldn't tell you who is there now. I'm not sure if anyone local is there anymore. Albrittons Jewelers was the last of the first tenants and they moved out and up on the hill further down Old Canton Rd. A lot of remodeling is going on but no real advertising to tell us what is there. Of course the area is becoming less safe as it once was and people are bailing out of Maywood Mart across Northside Dr as well.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-27-2018, 07:24 AM
And Gluckstadt is fighting against incorporation as best they can. The balloon pilot I train with lives just behind Germantown and I hear things all the time.

Absolutely the opposite. Gluckstadt is fighting hard FOR incorporation. And if your friend lives behind Germantown, that would be the Panther Creek neighborhood. They are fighting hard FOR the Gluckstadt incorporation. Because everybody fears a Canton annexation. The fight is FOR an incorporation and against a Canton annexation, the ONLY person fighting the incorporation is Mac Haik (and of course the City of Canton).

JMCDAWG
05-27-2018, 09:19 AM
this site shows both Columbus and Starkville have both had increase

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk

iPat09
05-27-2018, 09:43 AM
Absolutely the opposite. Gluckstadt is fighting hard FOR incorporation. And if your friend lives behind Germantown, that would be the Panther Creek neighborhood. They are fighting hard FOR the Gluckstadt incorporation. Because everybody fears a Canton annexation. The fight is FOR an incorporation and against a Canton annexation, the ONLY person fighting the incorporation is Mac Haik (and of course the City of Canton).

You know what? You're right. Words got switched around in my head. And they actually live in the Germantown neighborhood.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-27-2018, 02:23 PM
You know what? You're right. Words got switched around in my head. And they actually live in the Germantown neighborhood.

Germantown neighborhood is kinda leading the push to incorporate. Lisa Williams and Walter McKay live there and are pushing, and the designated mayor is Germantown resident Walter Morrison. They don't want Canton to annex the area. Canton has already annexed the "neumarkt" area (yes I spelled that correctly) with a voluntary annexation because the developer wanted some TIF funding. That area includes the c-store with the Your Pie Pizza. That kinda opened the door for Canton to come to the area. Now Canton wants the Harreld/Hutchinson property where there is the Mac Haik dealerships, Callaways, Capital Body Shop, Barnetts Body Shop, future Atlas Greek Cuisine, etc.