Of- Mangum is gone
SS- Alexander will be back
OF- Macnamee has played himself into the draft
OF- Vansau wont Be drafted but could be gone
C- Gilbert could surprise us and go

Unrecovered TJs will be back: James, Breaux, and Price

HoopsDawg
05-23-2018, 06:18 PM
SS is going to be interesting next year if Gunner Halter makes it to campus.

Even if all of those guys go pro, I really like our position players next year. Just got to find some pitching.

ShotgunDawg
05-23-2018, 06:30 PM
Why would anyone draft Stovall?

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-23-2018, 06:34 PM

Especially with a new coach coming in who has no allegiances to people already on the team.

msstate7
05-23-2018, 06:37 PM
Why would anyone draft Stovall?

He's pretty much Ryan gridley isn't he?

Gridley '17 = .327/.393/.457 6.8 bb%
Stovall '18 = .330/.364/.459 6.6 bb%

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 06:47 PM

Gridley has a bigger frame though. The draft isn't about what you did. It's about how you project.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2018, 06:50 PM
I see Stovall back next year.

CadaverDawg
05-23-2018, 06:51 PM

Gridley has some power...does Stovall have any power?

msstate7
05-23-2018, 06:56 PM

Last number above is slugging. ISO is .129 for Stovall and .130 for gridley last season. Their power is virtually identical

The Federalist Engineer
05-23-2018, 06:59 PM
Gridley has a bigger frame though. The draft isn't about what you did. It's about how you project.

Maybe Cannizzaro has much to do with developing draft interest in Grid

Yalls comments bring back that Brett Pirtle was undraftrd as a junior. Despite playing in Omaha and being a stellar collegiate hitter in a dead bat era.

msstate7
05-23-2018, 07:01 PM

Yalls comments bring back that Brett Pirtle was undraftrd as a junior. Despite playing in Omaha and being a collegiate stellar hitter in a dead bat era.

Man, I loved pirtle. Travis Chapman and Brett pirtle are 2 of my all time favorite dawgs

CadaverDawg
05-23-2018, 07:32 PM
Last number above is slugging. ISO is .129 for Stovall and .130 for gridley last season. Their power is virtually identical

I'm talking HR power

msstate7
05-23-2018, 07:36 PM
I'm talking HR power

Gridley 6 HR
Stovall 2 HR

MarketingBully
05-23-2018, 07:42 PM
I don?t think Ethan Small goes: 1) he could get more money next year and be drafted higher, 2) he could be part of something special if he comes back. Not sure about the other juniors but we have good solid freshmen position players who will be sophomores that will fill most of those holes. The one that would be extremely hard to replace would be Mangum.

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 08:01 PM

Yalls comments bring back that Brett Pirtle was undraftrd as a junior. Despite playing in Omaha and being a stellar collegiate hitter in a dead bat era.

I think you are most likely correct about that.

maroonmania
05-23-2018, 08:02 PM

Sure he does, he's our cleanup guy.***

I seen it dawg
05-23-2018, 08:12 PM
Mangum most likely gone but I'm not sold until the actual draft happens to see where he's picked.

Pilk of course gone.

I would be amazed if Stovall, Mac, and Gilbert get remotely drafted high enough. Stovall was overmatched against Peterson last night and he has no projectability for pro baseball. I can't see him even drafted.

Vansau prob leaves he has graduated.

Gordon wouldn't surprise me if he moves on.

I think Small is truly 50/50. He needs to add some bulk.

I seen it dawg
05-23-2018, 08:14 PM

Even if all of those guys go pro, I really like our position players next year. Just got to find some pitching.

Westburg will have something to say

maroonmania
05-23-2018, 08:16 PM
I don?t think Ethan Small goes: 1) he could get more money next year and be drafted higher, 2) he could be part of something special if he comes back. Not sure about the other juniors but we have good solid freshmen position players who will be sophomores that will fill most of those holes. The one that would be extremely hard to replace would be Mangum.

I am thinking Ethan Small goes as well. Mainly given he's had the arm injury. Doubt he risks passing up money this year when there are always concerns about the durability of his arm.

Bulldog1
05-23-2018, 08:19 PM
I think Small comes back.

MarketingBully
05-23-2018, 08:42 PM
I am thinking Ethan Small goes as well. Mainly given he's had the arm injury. Doubt he risks passing up money this year when there are always concerns about the durability of his arm.

You get your velocity back the year after you come back from TJ. If he can show his velocity is back, he can parlay wherever he is picked this year to possible first or second round. It would be smart money wise to come back one more year. Either way he?s going to spend a lot of time in the minors. Why not be a millionaire instead of settling for six figures?

BorneDawg
05-23-2018, 09:38 PM
Stovall will not be back next year

preachermatt83
05-23-2018, 09:49 PM
Mangum most likely gone but I'm not sold until the actual draft happens to see where he's picked.

Pilk of course gone.

I would be amazed if Stovall, Mac, and Gilbert get remotely drafted high enough. Stovall was overmatched against Peterson last night and he has no projectability for pro baseball. I can't see him even drafted.

Vansau prob leaves he has graduated.

Gordon wouldn't surprise me if he moves on.

I think Small is truly 50/50. He needs to add some bulk.

Agree on all accounts. I think Small is 50/50 I'd say it's 70/30 gone on mangum.

Randolph Dupree
05-23-2018, 11:15 PM
A somewhat bold prediction here, but I think Mangum returns. I can see Pilk coming back if he's not first or second round (and I'm not convinced he is). I think Small goes (although I think he could better his stock with one more year).

louisvilledawg
05-24-2018, 08:26 AM
Agree on all accounts. I think Small is 50/50 I'd say it's 70/30 gone on mangum.

Why would Mangum come back? What more is there left to prove for him?

I hope Small comes back, i just don't see that happening.

Randolph Dupree
05-24-2018, 08:39 AM
Why would Mangum come back? What more is there left to prove for him?

I hope Small comes back, i just don't see that happening.

Mangum is uber competitive and has a legit chance to have the most hits all time in the SEC. Money isn't a huge factor for him, so if he doesn't get taken high enough I can see him coming back.

BB30
05-24-2018, 08:57 AM
This is my current feel for who is coming back:

P- Small is Gone, wonder how high he will go in draft
P- Pilk is gone
2b- Stovall is gone
Of- Mangum is gone
SS- Alexander will be back
OF- Macnamee has played himself into the draft
OF- Vansau wont Be drafted but could be gone
C- Gilbert could surprise us and go

Unrecovered TJs will be back: James, Breaux, and Price

The draft is all about projectability and upside. With Small still having some leverage if he comes back I really think it would benefit him. He has only been healthy one year so he really hasn't established a track record yet. Coming back for another season IMO would greatly benefit him if he could put together another good year and stay healthy. He has late first round stuff I just don't think he goes that high this year.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-24-2018, 10:21 AM
How about when we say "X is gone" we also give a draft round range we expect them to go in? Seems like having a discussion about where they will go will help us get on the same page than everyone giving "yes" or "no" or "50/50" answers. Hell one guy just said Pilk would come back if he was drafted in the 3rd round.... that's insane, but I appreciate him telling me the round instead of just saying "He'll be back"

msstate7
05-24-2018, 10:31 AM
How about when we say "X is gone" we also give a draft round range we expect them to go in? Seems like having a discussion about where they will go will help us get on the same page than everyone giving "yes" or "no" or "50/50" answers. Hell one guy just said Pilk would come back if he was drafted in the 3rd round.... that's insane, but I appreciate him telling me the round instead of just saying "He'll be back"

If that's true (doubt seriously), he will be back then

05-24-2018, 10:36 AM
Small - It's 50/50 I think, based on things I've heard, but only due to his leverage
Pilk - Pretty obvious he's gone
Stovall - If he gets drafted probably gone, as he should be
Mangum - gone, has to be
Alexander - he won't be drafted
Macnamee - see Stovall
Vansau - no idea, might transfer, but wouldn't hurt us to keep him around for one more year, I mean he did well last summer, he might break out
Gilbert - he'll be back to fight with Skelton for the catcher spot again, one of the two may transfer after the fall

We need to be much more worried about pitchers than position players, I think the lineup is covered no matter who goes pro

I mean, if McNamee, Stovall and Small all got together and decided they wanted to come back and make a run similar to the LSU players last year, it's possible I guess, but that rarely happens at MSU. I still get sick thinking about if Sexton and Lowe and some of those guys, who didn't get much money, had come back in 2017. Can't really blame Kruger and Houston from that bunch, they got good money

I seen it dawg
05-24-2018, 11:36 AM
Stovall will not be back next year

Ok then. If he gets drafted he better take it.