PDA

View Full Version : JT Ginn

louisvilledawg
05-23-2018, 02:21 PM
I know Commerce is the go to for info regarding him, but what's the latest on Mr. Ginn?

Was just looking at prospect lists and he's hovering around the late first to mid/late second round.

Said he has to throw with considerable effort and his mechanics are what is pushing him back.

Also said he's old for his class and would be a draft eligible sophomore in 2020.

Would be great to get him on campus, work on the delivery, and have him with us for two years before signing for the huge bucks.

Bully13
05-23-2018, 02:35 PM
There was a good thread on this not too long ago. Most who know more than me on this (cuz I know jack shit on Ginn except his awesome stats) say if he gets a certain amount of signing $, he goes pro. If not, college is not out of the question. Most think he never sets foot on our campus.

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-23-2018, 02:43 PM
I know Commerce is the go to for info regarding him, but what's the latest on Mr. Ginn?

Was just looking at prospect lists and he's hovering around the late first to mid/late second round.

Said he has to throw with considerable effort and his mechanics are what is pushing him back.

Also said he's old for his class and would be a draft eligible sophomore in 2020.

Would be great to get him on campus, work on the delivery, and have him with us for two years before signing for the huge bucks.
Don't get your hopes up.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-23-2018, 03:50 PM
Don't get your hopes up.

Care to enlighten us with .....why the hell not?

Tbonewannabe
05-23-2018, 03:53 PM

I think he is saying that he will be a first round pick with the payday that comes with it.

Steakonastick
05-23-2018, 03:54 PM
Supposedly his dollar amount is 2.0 million.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2018, 04:24 PM
I'm gonna tell y'all that they are torn. Mike and JT both love college baseball and State. I know some folks will think that they will just take the money and go. It's not that simple for them. JT really wants to play college baseball but the opportunity to receive life changing money and a chance to start a pro career is something he's dreamed of and worked for his whole life. They spent the past weekend in Starkville hanging out and watching the games and loving the atmosphere. This is not an easy decision for them at all. Mikes my friend and I don't hassle him with questions about which way they're gonna go. Me and Mike have been tight for a long time and he shares a lot with me. We were both undersized scrappy middle infielders who had to work and fight for everything we got. I won't share all of the details of what we talk about, but I can tell you that this is not an easy decision for them and they're struggling with it. JT's a great young man and Mike only has his best interest at heart. As he's told me a million times the decision will ultimately be JT's. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him in Maroon and White, conversely I also wouldn't be surprised to see him go MLB. I wish I could tell y'all he was coming to State but I don't think they're even 100% sure yet which route they're gonna take.

Tbonewannabe
05-23-2018, 04:59 PM
This is the right answer. If he gets enough to set him up and still has a team set to pay his tuition then you go into the pros. Teams want 1st round picks to succeed because of how much they have invested. No one should fault him for going pro if that is the right choice for him.

Homedawg
05-23-2018, 05:32 PM

You will know on draft day if he’s gonna get it. A la Austin Riley. If they take him they are going to pay him

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 05:39 PM
This is the right answer. If he gets enough to set him up and still has a team set to pay his tuition then you go into the pros. Teams want 1st round picks to succeed because of how much they have invested. No one should fault him for going pro if that is the right choice for him.

The thing about the tuition is it's a lot more difficult to go back to college at age 23-25 than it is at 18-19. Honesty for me it would have to be 4-5 million for me to not go to school. To me the best case scenario would be to play pro baseball until age 36 and then retire and be able to immediately join the working world if I had to. Or actually retire on the millions I made playing baseball. Very few get to do that. There is a saying that at some point the game always wins.

Bully13
05-23-2018, 05:40 PM
I'm gonna tell y'all that they are torn. Mike and JT both love college baseball and State. I know some folks will think that they will just take the money and go. It's not that simple for them. JT really wants to play college baseball but the opportunity to receive life changing money and a chance to start a pro career is something he's dreamed of and worked for his whole life. They spent the past weekend in Starkville hanging out and watching the games and loving the atmosphere. This is not an easy decision for them at all. Mikes my friend and I don't hassle him with questions about which way they're gonna go. Me and Mike have been tight for a long time and he shares a lot with me. We were both undersized scrappy middle infielders who had to work and fight for everything we got. I won't share all of the details of what we talk about, but I can tell you that this is not an easy decision for them and they're struggling with it. JT's a great young man and Mike only has his best interest at heart. As he's told me a million times the decision will ultimately be JT's. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him in Maroon and White, conversely I also wouldn't be surprised to see him go MLB. I wish I could tell y'all he was coming to State but I don't think they're even 100% sure yet which route they're gonna take.

Great Post . Rep Given. So, for now, that settles it. Edited to add, I'll have to spread some around before giving more to Commerce.

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-23-2018, 05:53 PM

The only reason people here think we have any better of a shot at getting him to campus than all the other high draft picks we've ever signed is because someone here knows his dad.

Bully13
05-23-2018, 06:02 PM
The only reason people here think we have any better of a shot at getting him to campus than all the other high draft picks we've ever signed is because someone here knows his dad.

And that someone has earned his right to be listened to. He's not guaranteeing anything, just being honest. I for one appreciate his input.

msstate7
05-23-2018, 06:06 PM
And that someone has earned his right to be listened to. He's not guaranteeing anything, just being honest. I for one appreciate his input.

Well it has gone from he is coming to maybe he is coming. He will not be here.

Tbonewannabe
05-23-2018, 06:09 PM

Probably best to expect him to go pro so if he does come to MSU then it is a positive.

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-23-2018, 06:30 PM

I have no problem with his postings, I'm just saying we have the same shot for Ginn as we have all of our previous high draft picks: very very slim.

Though like msstate7 said, either Commerce or Ginn's dad is slowly walking it back on us it seems

MarketingBully
05-23-2018, 06:31 PM
I’d stick the number at $3 million and not budge from it. If he goes to college, he only has to go for two years. MLB teams are notorious for lieing to HS kids and are more likely to come in on the short side of his number. He definitely will not get to hit in the minors only pitch. Not only that but the minors suck and he will have a better chance of getting to the show faster going to college for two years then going right out of high school. And odds are extremely good that he would be a Top 10 pick just two years down the road which at the least he would make $4.5 million. Not bad for over doubling your number for two years of work. Plus if he’s that torn about going pro or coming to school he’s going to regret if he goes straight pro. He’ll never get college baseball back. If he can wait two years, he could make much more money and be a part of either the Schlossnagle or McDonnell era and at least make a CWS once in his career. If he thinks about it, there’s more pros then cons for going to college.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2018, 06:48 PM
Look guys I've always been honest about this from the beginning. I said from the beginning these situations were fluid and things could change. Up until about 6 weeks ago mike didn't think he was going to be drafted high enough to get the money they wanted and he would be at State. I let a poster on here know about this at the time me and mike talked. Things change. His last 2 starts moved him up draft boards. Neither me or Mike are walking it back, I can promise you that, what I've told you is the way it is. And when I tell you they're torn over this it's the truth. Imagine having 2 things you dreamed of your whole life both coming true at the same time(playing for State and mlb). So if you will imagine how hard this decision is. Mike told me yesterday that there would be times of second guessing no matter which route they choose.

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 06:50 PM
I?d stick the number at $3 million and not budge from it. If he goes to college, he only has to go for two years. MLB teams are notorious for lieing to HS kids and are more likely to come in on the short side of his number. He definitely will not get to hit in the minors only pitch. Not only that but the minors suck and he will have a better chance of getting to the show faster going to college for two years then going right out of high school. And odds are extremely good that he would be a Top 10 pick just two years down the road which at the least he would make $4.5 million. Not bad for over doubling your number for two years of work. Plus if he?s that torn about going pro or coming to school he?s going to regret if he goes straight pro. He?ll never get college baseball back. If he can wait two years, he could make much more money and be a part of either the Schlossnagle or McDonnell era and at least make a CWS once in his career. If he thinks about it, there?s more pros then cons for going to college.

One thing about McDonnell. He did a pretty good job developing Brenden McKay who was a two way guy in college and drafted as a two way guy out of college by the pros.

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Look guys I've always been honest about this from the beginning. I said from the beginning these situations were fluid and things could change. Up until about 6 weeks ago mike didn't think he was going to be drafted high enough to get the money they wanted and he would be at State. I let a poster on here know about this at the time me and mike talked. Things change. His last 2 starts moved him up draft boards. Neither me or Mike are walking it back, I can promise you that, what I've told you is the way it is. And when I tell you they're torn over this it's the truth. Imagine having 2 things you dreamed of your whole life both coming true at the same time(playing for State and mlb). So if you will imagine how hard this decision is. Mike told me yesterday that there would be times of second guessing no matter which route they choose.

I appreciate everything that you have given to me and others as far as updates. You have been on the up and up and haven't misled anyone.

Now my personal two cents on the situation as a guy that grew up a MSU and Cardinals fan- the deciding factor for me is because of the rules you only get one opportunity to be a MSU Bulldog. Or whatever your college team is really. There are usually more than one opportunities to go pro.

Again that's my personal two cents and I respect whatever decision they make.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2018, 07:08 PM
I appreciate everything that you have given to me and others as far as updates. You have been on the up and up and haven't misled anyone.

Now my personal two cents on the situation as a guy that grew up a MSU and Cardinals fan- the deciding factor for me is because of the rules you only get one opportunity to be a MSU Bulldog. Or whatever your college team is really. There are usually more than one opportunities to go pro.

Again that's my personal two cents and I respect whatever decision they make.

Appreciate that, Todd.

MarketingBully
05-23-2018, 07:19 PM

I?ve appreciated your insight and think it?s cool that we have a poster with ties to one of our biggest recruits we?ve had in baseball for a while. I think he is torn and I think if it?s up to Ginn he will be a Dog. I do agree with Todd though if you?re that torn you have to go to college. The MLB will be there but college only occurs once. Plus the risk is minimal considering he can be drafted after his sophomore year.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2018, 07:48 PM
I?ve appreciated your insight and think it?s cool that we have a poster with ties to one of our biggest recruits we?ve had in baseball for a while. I think he is torn and I think if it?s up to Ginn he will be a Dog. I do agree with Todd though if you?re that torn you have to go to college. The MLB will be there but college only occurs once. Plus the risk is minimal considering he can be drafted after his sophomore year.

Appreciate that. I've known JT since he was a little one so it's been cool watching him develop. My sons a couple years behind JT so me and mike have charted their progress over the years.I agree with you and Todd on the college part and with him only having to play 2 years makes it even better. They just checked into an LOV policy for him should he come to State.

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 07:59 PM
Appreciate that. I've known JT since he was a little one so it's been cool watching him develop. My sons a couple years behind JT so me and mike have charted their progress over the years.I agree with you and Todd on the college part and with him only having to play 2 years makes it even better. They just checked into an LOV policy for him should he come to State.

More of my two cents: MLB should just make everyone draft eligible after two years of college instead of three for most. I think college would get even more elite players of that was the case.

I seen it dawg
05-23-2018, 08:01 PM
Thanks for all the input commerce. Great info and selfishly we hope he gets drafted a little below what he wants.

msbulldog
05-23-2018, 08:01 PM
I will offer a prayer for the young man and ask The Good Lord to give him guidance.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2018, 08:05 PM
Thanks for all the input commerce. Great info and selfishly we hope he gets drafted a little below what he wants.

Appreciate that and selfishly I do too!

confucius say
05-23-2018, 08:08 PM

Link to where commerce said ginn is 100% for sure coming? Bc I don't remember that being said. Could be wrong.

msstate7
05-23-2018, 08:24 PM
Link to where commerce said ginn is 100% for sure coming? Bc I don't remember that being said. Could be wrong.

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?57815-2-baseball-signees&highlight=Ginn

Said as of now JT will be at state (post #13)

Dawgcap
05-23-2018, 08:25 PM
May be a dump question but are baseball players able to purchase insurance policies for injuries like football( I believe)?

msstate7
05-23-2018, 08:27 PM
May be a dump question but are baseball players able to purchase insurance policies for injuries like football( I believe)?

I would think so

MarketingBully
05-23-2018, 08:27 PM
https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?57815-2-baseball-signees&highlight=Ginn

I don’t think that’s fair to hold him to what he said there. He even said he didn’t guarantee it. You went back to July last year? That’s laughable and it was even before the Cann firing. A number of things have changed since then.

MarketingBully
05-23-2018, 08:29 PM

Yes and they have it ready (see Commerce’s post above).

msstate7
05-23-2018, 08:29 PM
I don’t think that’s fair to hold him to what he said there. He even said he didn’t guarantee it. You went back to July last year? That’s laughable and it was even before the Cann firing. A number of things have changed since then.

I'm not mad or anything, and appreciate the info. Just tired of us doing this every time on a big recruit. MLB gets who they want

MarketingBully
05-23-2018, 08:33 PM
I'm not mad or anything, and appreciate the info. Just tired of us doing this every time on a big recruit. MLB gets who they want

And it’s obvious the NCAA doesn’t give a shit about baseball because if they did they sure as shit would give the sport more then 11.7 scholarships.

Dawgcap
05-23-2018, 08:33 PM
Yes and they have it ready (see Commerce’s post above).

Thanks! Appreciate the response. Sorry didn’t see it in his post

Dawgcap
05-23-2018, 08:39 PM
To me that’s the kind of kid I can root for. Would love for him to be at State but that’s a chance at life changing money. To be as torn as much as Commerce said makes me think he would love to be here. Hard to fault him if he can’t pass it up though.
I can imagine he’s gonna change his mind a few times over the next several weeks.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2018, 08:45 PM
And it’s obvious the NCAA doesn’t give a shit about baseball because if they did they sure as shit would give the sport more then 11.7 scholarships.

This. It pisses me off that the NCAA won't allow any more than that. Insane.

msstate7
05-23-2018, 08:49 PM

Title IX gets the blame here, not the NCAA

Commercecomet24
05-23-2018, 08:50 PM

That's true.

MarketingBully
05-23-2018, 08:51 PM

We should have won Nattys in 1985 and should have won it all in 1989 as well. Those years haunt me more then the series loss in 2013. Those teams start to finish were the best teams in college baseball. Polk was one of the best coaches in the history of the game but it always bothered me that he didn’t have a sense of urgency when we made it to the CWS. None of his teams any time he went made it that far. He didn’t even try to build his teams to do well in Omaha. Bertman did. That was the biggest difference between Bertman and Polk. Bertman built his teams to win in Omaha. We just built teams to make it to Omaha.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2018, 08:59 PM

As of then it was a true. I have said repeatedly that things could change. As of 6 weeks ago as I talked to mike, while our 2 kids were playing against each other at Brandon, he expected JT to be at State. Things changed. I apologize if anyone took what I said to be a guarantee. If you could see our conversations you would understand just how difficult a decision this is for them. That's why so much back and forth.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2018, 09:03 PM
We should have won Nattys in 1985 and should have won it all in 1989 as well. Those years haunt me more then the series loss in 2013. Those teams start to finish were the best teams in college baseball. Polk was one of the best coaches in the history of the game but it always bothered me that he didn’t have a sense of urgency when we made it to the CWS. None of his teams any time he went made it that far. He didn’t even try to build his teams to do well in Omaha. Bertman did. That was the biggest difference between Bertman and Polk. Bertman built his teams to win in Omaha. We just built teams to make it to Omaha.

Very well said. Good assessment. I was at every game of that regional in 89 and left in shock that we weren't headed to Omaha. Actually had plans made to be in Omaha. Still hurts. 85 as well.

msstate7
05-23-2018, 09:05 PM
As of then it was a true. I have said repeatedly that things could change. As of 6 weeks ago as I talked to mike, while our 2 kids were playing against each other at Brandon, he expected JT to be at State. Things changed. I apologize if anyone took what I said to be a guarantee. If you could see our conversations you would understand just how difficult a decision this is for them. That's why so much back and forth.

I'm just pretty cynical. I said from the time he was throwing 97 that he was gone. It's very easy for kids to say I'm going to school when there's no actual money on the table. Well the money is starting to stare him in the face, and now he's wavering. I don't have to know the kid to know that when 1st round money is on the table, 99.9% gonna take it

Avelso
05-23-2018, 09:05 PM
Commerce,

Did they settle on the Boras Group for representation. They were leaning that way when I last talked to someone VERY close to JT. Selfishly as a State fan I hope they do as most Boras clients are hard to sign and low market teams don't even try to draft them.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2018, 09:11 PM
I'm just pretty cynical. I said from the time he was throwing 97 that he was gone. It's very easy for kids to say I'm going to school when there's no actual money on the table. Well the money is starting to stare him in the face, and now he's wavering. I don't have to know the kid to know that when 1st round money is on the table, 99.9% gonna take it

See that's the thing he's just now climbed into the first round in the last month. 6 weeks ago he was projected middle second and mike wasn't expecting to get the money they wanted. That's the difference NOW possible first round money not second round like they were looking at 6 weeks ago.

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 09:28 PM

It's actually the small schools like the Marists of the world that don't want to spend the money on scholarships that are keeping the 11.7 rule in place.

If college baseball split into the power 8-10 conferences that care and then the I-AA schools that don't care have their own division it would change.

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 09:30 PM

Yes. At least as of the late 70's and early 80's.

Bully13
05-23-2018, 09:31 PM

You owe NOBODY an apology Commerce. You've been respectful and honest. And you've respected your friends in the process. Nobody, including yourself has any crystal ball as to how things will eventually play out. MSU is blessed to have a chance and to have this guy love MSU baseball no matter what he decides. This is a testament of MSU baseball. Everybody be happy. No matter the outcome. Great days lay ahead!! Go Dogs!!

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 09:34 PM

Here's what happens:

MLB scout/rep- "Todd4State, it's your favorite team the Cardinals. If we draft you in the first round and give you 2 million will you sign with us instead of Mississippi State?"

If the answer is yes then the Cardinals draft Todd4State. If Todd4State says no they draft someone else that they can sign.

That's why it appears as if they get who they want. But that's not exactly true. They draft who they want that they know will sign ahead of time.

AlSwearengen
05-23-2018, 09:35 PM
If I remember correctly, before the season started, Ginn was widely thought to be a likely 3rd to 5th rd pick.

There is a big difference between a guy that wants to go to college that will be drafted in the 3rd round and one that is drafted in the 1st round.

Things have changed since the time when commerce was telling us that J.T. was likely going to be at State.

Hopefully J.T. comes to school, gets drafted in the 1st round and shortens his time in the minors. I will treat it as a nice surprise if it happens though.

preachermatt83
05-23-2018, 09:36 PM

This is an awful post. CC24 is one of the best posters here... and you, well you are not.

Bully13
05-23-2018, 09:40 PM
This is an awful post. CC24 is one of the best posters here... and you, well you are not.

Love 'ya Preach but for MSU'S sake, I hope you are predicting Ginn goes pro. Just saying. LOL

Dawgcap
05-23-2018, 09:41 PM
I graduated in 85. Was unable to go to Omaha. But I will never forget riding the back roads at home listening to those games. So heartbreaking in 85 and 89.
Your assessment of Polk during those years is the most accurate I’ve seen. I respected Polk during those times but there was always something that bothered me about his coaching. I truly think you hit the nail on the head with your thoughts

msstate7
05-23-2018, 09:47 PM

Jeez... wewonit is right. Wewonit didn't criticize CC or anything.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2018, 09:51 PM
You owe NOBODY an apology Commerce. You've been respectful and honest. And you've respected your friends in the process. Nobody, including yourself has any crystal ball as to how things will eventually play out. MSU is blessed to have a chance and to have this guy love MSU baseball no matter what he decides. This is a testament of MSU baseball. Everybody be happy. No matter the outcome. Great days lay ahead!! Go Dogs!!

Thanks, man! I agree we are about to enter another great era in State baseball!

preachermatt83
05-23-2018, 09:52 PM
Love 'ya Preach but for MSU'S sake, I hope you are predicting Ginn goes pro. Just saying. LOL

Lol. I hear ya. I have no idea what's gonna happen with him. All I know is what commerce posts here

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 09:52 PM
I graduated in 85. Was unable to go to Omaha. But I will never forget riding the back roads at home listening to those games. So heartbreaking in 85 and 89.
Your assessment of Polk during those years is the most accurate I’ve seen. I respected Polk during those times but there was always something that bothered me about his coaching. I truly think you hit the nail on the head with your thoughts

Off the record Polk told my Dad circa 1990 that if he couldn't win one with Clark and Palmeiro he was never winning one. He literally stopped trying after 1985. That was when he started to get into the other stuff like Team USA and fighting the NCAA and all of that.

That's why I was extremely against bringing Polk back in 2001.

preachermatt83
05-23-2018, 09:53 PM

I certainly think CC24 has a lot more credibility than wewonit does.. you either for that matter.

msstate7
05-23-2018, 09:55 PM
I certainly think CC24 has a lot more credibility than wewonit does.. you either for that matter.

We shall see

Commercecomet24
05-23-2018, 09:56 PM

You and preacher both good dudes. It's why I love this board because of the variety of opinions and perspectives. Makes for some awesome threads.

msstate7
05-23-2018, 09:58 PM
You and preacher both good dudes. It's why I love this board because of the variety of opinions and perspectives. Makes for some awesome threads.

I'm no good dude. I'm trouble. Haha... thanks. I really do appreciate your info from ginn's family. I just think he gone

Dawgcap
05-23-2018, 09:59 PM
Off the record Polk told my Dad circa 1990 that if he couldn't win one with Clark and Palmeiro he was never winning one. He literally stopped trying after 1985. That was when he started to get into the other stuff like Team USA and fighting the NCAA and all of that.

That's why I was extremely against bringing Polk back in 2001.

I sure didn’t want him back the 2nd time either. You can’t give your best if your distracted. Much less angry and distracted wither NCAA as a baseball coach.
I think you might have to admit the line drive off Gene Morgan might actually be a true That’s Baseball moment you were arguing against earlier today!! Haha

Commercecomet24
05-23-2018, 10:03 PM
I'm no good dude. I'm trouble. Haha... thanks. I really do appreciate your info from ginn's family. I just think he gone

6 weeks ago I was sure he was gonna be at State but things changed. There's still a chance he winds up at State though more remote now and it wouldn't surprise me one bit. But dang 2-3 million hard to turn down. I'm going to be pulling for JT wherever he winds up. At some point when he's in the bigs I will enjoy my free tickets and clubhouse tour lol

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 10:11 PM
I sure didn?t want him back the 2nd time either. You can?t give your best if your distracted. Much less angry and distracted wither NCAA as a baseball coach.
I think you might have to admit the line drive off Gene Morgan might actually be a true That?s Baseball moment you were arguing against earlier today!! Haha

I think what happened to Gene Morgan was bad luck. But what cost us that game was the poor coaching decision by Polk to leave him in after we knew he was hurt. We didn't even have to have anyone in the bullpen ready because we should have told the umpire that our pitcher was hurt and Steve King or Trent Intorcia would have gotten unlimited warm up tosses due to Morgan's injury.

Bully13
05-23-2018, 10:23 PM
I think what happened to Gene Morgan was bad luck. But what cost us that game was the poor coaching decision by Polk to leave him in after we knew he was hurt. We didn't even have to have anyone in the bullpen ready because we should have told the umpire that our pitcher was hurt and Steve King or Trent Intorcia would have gotten unlimited warm up tosses due to Morgan's injury.

Man Todd. That sure does bring back some memories. You must be old like me. Gene Morgan had a sinker that dropped off the face of the earth. He beat a team in the Regionals that year (Western Carolina?) where he pitched a complete game and recorded 18 ground ball outs. He was in such a grove against TX that night in Omaha facing Roger Clemens. Then the come backer off his chin. Shit. Then Thigpen gives up the HR to send us home. I was like "Why God?

Commercecomet24
05-23-2018, 10:31 PM
Man Todd. That sure does bring back some memories. You must be old like me. Gene Morgan had a sinker that dropped off the face of the earth. He beat a team in the Regionals that year (Western Carolina?) where he pitched a complete game and recorded 18 ground ball outs. He was in such a grove against TX that night in Omaha facing Roger Clemens. Then the come backer off his chin. Shit. Then Thigpen gives up the HR to send us home. I was like "Why God?

I just knew we were gonna win the NC that year and then that ball hit Morgan and we were never the same. That still hurts.

Pit Bull
05-23-2018, 10:58 PM
There was a good thread on this not too long ago. Most who know more than me on this (cuz I know jack shit on Ginn except his awesome stats) say if he gets a certain amount of signing $, he goes pro. If not, college is not out of the question. Most think he never sets foot on our campus.

I expect 4-5 recruits including Ginn will never set foot on campus.

Pit Bull
05-23-2018, 11:01 PM

One of our commits is expected to go as the 2nd overall pick with a 7+ million signing bonus. We just need to take his name off the recruiting lists like he does not exist.

Todd4State
05-24-2018, 12:02 AM

I was pretty young then. I think I was about six or seven. 1985 was the first year I started following baseball. It was a great year MSU and the Cardinals were both good. Both had heartbreaking losses in the end.

I was at a Cardinals game and somehow the guys taking next to me were talking about how Jose Oquendo used to play for the Mets. I told them I was from Jackson and we used to have the Mets AA team when I was growing up and I told them the first baseball game I ever went to Daryl Strawberry was on the team. The guys next to me were like "You saw Daryl Strawberry play in person?" They were in awe. That made me feel a little old. Or like Crash Davis on Bull Durham talking about the time he played in MLB on the team bus.

MarketingBully
05-24-2018, 02:02 AM
One of our commits is expected to go as the 2nd overall pick with a 7+ million signing bonus. We just need to take his name off the recruiting lists like he does not exist.

If you go second overall, you go. Lol. That’s some big time money right there. How did we pull off getting that kid to sign? Cole Winn is going to go before JT Ginn as well so it didn’t matter he got out of his LOI. I guess when you sign a guy that is going second overall your only shot at getting him on campus is him getting an injury his senior year. LSU got that type of luck with Bregman. He shouldn’t of stepped foot on campus but LSU got a break and he was injured his senior year. Seems all the guys we sign tear it up their senior years and shoot up the draft boards.

Homedawg
05-24-2018, 08:13 AM

All was correct except the Clemens part. He wasn’t on that Texas team.

Bully13
05-24-2018, 08:30 AM
I was pretty young then. I think I was about six or seven. 1985 was the first year I started following baseball. It was a great year MSU and the Cardinals were both good. Both had heartbreaking losses in the end.

I was at a Cardinals game and somehow the guys taking next to me were talking about how Jose Oquendo used to play for the Mets. I told them I was from Jackson and we used to have the Mets AA team when I was growing up and I told them the first baseball game I ever went to Daryl Strawberry was on the team. The guys next to me were like "You saw Daryl Strawberry play in person?" They were in awe. That made me feel a little old. Or like Crash Davis on Bull Durham talking about the time he played in MLB on the team bus.

I was 22 in 1985. For historical purposes only, and not to rekindle any bad memories for you (since we are on the "bad memories subject), I grew up as a fan of both the K.C. Royals and the NY Mets. I don't even keep up with MLB anymore, couldn't tell you the names of the coaches or a single player these days on either team. Y'all got screwed on that play at 1st against the Royals in game 7. But again, that was not the final out either.

I was a regular in the stands back in the day when we won back to back Texas League Championships with Davey Johnson coaching. We had Strawberry, Dykstra, Rick Aguilara , Jessie Orosco closing the door, Wally Backman, Kevin Mitchell (remember that bear handed snag he made at the wall in foul territory?), and Roger McDowell. Mookie Wilson actually got married at home plate in Jackson. One night when the Traveler's were in town Patrick Perry approached me while I was sitting next to the visitor's dug out and asked if I had a car. He and I along with 2 of his teammates ended up going out on the town that night. Patrick ended up as a middle reliever doing a few years with the Birds and Cubs. He actually pinch hit one day for the Cubs in a meaningless game and went yard at Wrigley Field.

I was lucky enough to get tickets to game 7 in Flushing in '86 and will never forget almost tearing them up watching game 6 at the Blarney Stone in Manhattan. down 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs, nobody on, and an 0-2 count to Gary Carter. The guy running the jumbotron actually erred in flashing "Congrats to the World Champion Boston Red Sox" for a split 2nd. And the rest is history as the ball dribbled through the crippled legs of Billy Buckner.

After that, while living in Memphis all my friends were Cardinal fans including my roommate. We used to go at each other all the time watching Bird , Met games. I hated Terry Pendleton (used to call him fat butt) and Vince Coleman. I remember getting so pissed off time and time again when we would walk Vince. He was literally a walking double. sometimes a walking triple. I would always shout at the t.v. "you don't walk Birds!!!". Ahhh the memories.