PDA

View Full Version : NFL: Goodell's Statement On National Anthem Policy

Bulldog1
05-23-2018, 12:10 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000933962/article/roger-goodells-statement-on-national-anthem-policy

"The policy adopted today was approved in concert with the NFL's ongoing commitment to local communities and our country -- one that is extraordinary in its scope, resources, and alignment with our players. We are dedicated to continuing our collaboration with players to advance the goals of justice and fairness in all corners of our society.

The efforts by many of our players sparked awareness and action around issues of social justice that must be addressed. The platform that we have created together is certainly unique in professional sports and quite likely in American business. We are honored to work with our players to drive progress.

It was unfortunate that on-field protests created a false perception among many that thousands of NFL players were unpatriotic. This is not and was never the case.

This season, all league and team personnel shall stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem. Personnel who choose not to stand for the Anthem may stay in the locker room until after the Anthem has been performed.

We believe today's decision will keep our focus on the game and the extraordinary athletes who play it -- and on our fans who enjoy it.

POLICY STATEMENT

The 32 member clubs of the National Football League have reaffirmed their strong commitment to work alongside our players to strengthen our communities and advance social justice. The unique platform that we have created is unprecedented in its scope, and will provide extraordinary resources in support of programs to promote positive social change in our communities.

The membership also strongly believes that:

1. All team and league personnel on the field shall stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.

2.The Game Operations Manual will be revised to remove the requirement that all players be on the field for the Anthem.

3. Personnel who choose not to stand for the Anthem may stay in the locker room or in a similar location off the field until after the Anthem has been performed.

4. A club will be fined by the League if its personnel are on the field and do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.

5. Each club may develop its own work rules, consistent with the above principles, regarding its personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.

6. The Commissioner will impose appropriate discipline on league personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem."

Coach007
05-23-2018, 12:27 PM
NFL owners have unanimously approved the new national anthem policy

bostondawg
05-23-2018, 12:46 PM
This will undoubtedly end up on the politics board before long. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how the players react to this. If I recall correctly, staying in the locker room was exactly what Kapernick was trying to do at first, before the NFL forced him out onto the field. Kind of ironic that the NFL would capitulate to Kap's original desires after Kap has already had his career ruined over it.

I seen it dawg
05-23-2018, 12:47 PM
It's pretty simple. Players can stay in locker room and do whatever they want or they can be on the field and stand.

I seen it dawg
05-23-2018, 12:49 PM
This will undoubtedly end up on the politics board before long. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how the players react to this. If I recall correctly, staying in the locker room was exactly what Kapernick was trying to do at first, before the NFL forced him out onto the field. Kind of ironic that the NFL would capitulate to Kap's original desires after Kap has already had his career ruined over it.

Had his career ruined? He CHOSE the path. Everyone has choices and he made one. Right or wrong it was his choice.

Bulldog1
05-23-2018, 12:51 PM
They should all be out their standing for the anthem but I guess letting them stay in the locker room is fine too. You have a problem with the anthem? I don't care.

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-23-2018, 01:12 PM

This statement infers that Kaep was trying to fly under the radar with his disapproval of the National Anthem, and that was hardly the case. He wore socks that depicted cops as pigs, wore Castro T-shirts to press conferences, and called policemen modern day slave catchers. The majority of people did not agree with his BS and that's why he doesn't have a job. He's simply not good enough for an NFL team to put up with that sort of behavior that will ultimately devalue the franchise.

Bully13
05-23-2018, 01:13 PM
NFL Owners are tired of the whiney asses draining their pocket books. They've decided to nut up and go Bill Joel on them: "You can speak your mind, but not on my time"...

bostondawg
05-23-2018, 01:54 PM
This statement infers that Kaep was trying to fly under the radar with his disapproval of the National Anthem, and that was hardly the case. He wore socks that depicted cops as pigs, wore Castro T-shirts to press conferences, and called policemen modern day slave catchers. The majority of people did not agree with his BS and that's why he doesn't have a job. He's simply not good enough for an NFL team to put up with that sort of behavior that will ultimately devalue the franchise.

For sure. I wasn't trying to imply that Kap was being discrete, but rather just that I think all he wanted to do was be in the locker room for the anthem. Of course that wouldn't have changed his attire or his words. But I think you'd agree that neither his attire nor words were really that big of a deal--none of this situation would have ever come to a head if the NFL didn't force him out onto the field for the anthem, putting the spotlight on him. The NFL made a mistake and are now doing a 180 after realizing that forcing players on to the field for the anthem wasn't going to make the problem go away, it was only gonna shine a spotlight on it.

The Federalist Engineer
05-23-2018, 02:58 PM
Glad these players showed their true face and consumers can find entertainment elsewhere.

I love capitalism and being free to choose

Mutt the Hoople
05-23-2018, 06:19 PM
I do know that if the owners threaten to move their teams if they don't get a new stadium, the fans will probably tell them, "Hasta la Vista".

RocketDawg
05-23-2018, 06:32 PM
Glad these players showed their true face and consumers can find entertainment elsewhere.

I love capitalism and being free to choose

Yep.

Jack Lambert
05-23-2018, 09:34 PM
NFL owners have unanimously approved the new national anthem policy

I think one abstained. Might not be the correct word but one did not vote. I think I heard Rush say that today.

sleepy dawg
05-24-2018, 10:47 AM
I long for the day where the National Anthem or any other anthem is not played at all. It is one of the oddest traditions to me. How was sports the one thing we do that was chosen to have to listen to the national anthem before you can do it? No other activity we do has this.

I seen it dawg
05-24-2018, 11:26 AM
It's the calm before the storm

Mutt the Hoople
05-24-2018, 06:31 PM
The MLB players union is the gold standard of Players Unions-they're the tail that wags the dog. The owners are beholden to them. The players agreed to not kneel before games, but they gave input in what their thoughts and concerns are on this and a whole host of other items. MLB players have guaranteed contracts, Trade-veto power, and a minimum salary over $1 million a year.

The NBA players union isn't as strong, but the owners are more socially conscious and they work with the Players to make the league better.

The NFL's players union is a bunch of 'Tards- DeMaurice Smith is a puppet of Roger Goodell, and Goodell is paid $40 million a year by the owners so the owners don't get blamed for the players being a bunch of cop-killer-loving, girl-beating, anti-American pieces of shit. No guaranteed contracts, Sunday-Thursday games, token CTE research, a players union that has raisins for brains, backbones, and nads (thanks, Mike Fisher), and making tax writeoffs, errrr, "paying millions for Social Justice causes."

Goodell's decision just pisses off both those who believe in Freedom of Expression, and the Traditionalists. Until the Players Union grows a pair, and stands up to the Owners, they'll continue to be a bunch of semi-literate, brain-damaged tools who wind up broke two years after leaving the league.

Dawg61
05-24-2018, 08:29 PM
The MLB players union is the gold standard of Players Unions-they're the tail that wags the dog. The owners are beholden to them. The players agreed to not kneel before games, but they gave input in what their thoughts and concerns are on this and a whole host of other items. MLB players have guaranteed contracts, Trade-veto power, and a minimum salary over $1 million a year.

The NBA players union isn't as strong, but the owners are more socially conscious and they work with the Players to make the league better.

The NFL's players union is a bunch of 'Tards- DeMaurice Smith is a puppet of Roger Goodell, and Goodell is paid $40 million a year by the owners so the owners don't get blamed for the players being a bunch of cop-killer-loving, girl-beating, anti-American pieces of shit. No guaranteed contracts, Sunday-Thursday games, token CTE research, a players union that has raisins for brains, backbones, and nads (thanks, Mike Fisher), and making tax writeoffs, errrr, "paying millions for Social Justice causes."

Goodell's decision just pisses off both those who believe in Freedom of Expression, and the Traditionalists. Until the Players Union grows a pair, and stands up to the Owners, they'll continue to be a bunch of semi-literate, brain-damaged tools who wind up broke two years after leaving the league.

Crying over players supposedly disrespecting the flag and national anthem when they have repeatedly said it has nothing to do with either is about as snowflakey as it gets. Just like always the conbots call others snowflakes when it is them that are the biggest snowflakes of all. Gonna boycott the NFL cause a player knelt during the anthem. Crybabies and it ain't the players. Now move this to the PB already so Mutt can't spew some more hatred all over the board.

Turfdawg67
05-24-2018, 08:33 PM
The 1st Amendment is just important as the 2nd Amendment. The shit is really simple, you don't agree don't watch, don't attend or don't buy their goods! Hurt their pocketbooks. That IS America! It may suck, it might be outrageous, it might be offensive... but by God, it is their 17'n right because that is what America is all about.

Bulldog1
05-24-2018, 09:03 PM
I think President Trump's comments in his interview were very good points.

Bulldog1
05-24-2018, 10:12 PM
If you haven't already, just PM ScoobaDawg for access.

confucius say
05-24-2018, 10:20 PM
The 1st Amendment is just important as the 2nd Amendment. The shit is really simple, you don't agree don't watch, don't attend or don't buy their goods! Hurt their pocketbooks. That IS America! It may suck, it might be outrageous, it might be offensive... but by God, it is their 17'n right because that is what America is all about.

That's not how the first AM works. The only thing it provides you is protection from govt restriction of speech. That's it. You have no first AM protections at work (unless your employer is the govt).

In other words, that is not their 17'n right. They, nor you, nor I have any such right.

Lord McBuckethead
05-25-2018, 12:06 AM
That's not how the first AM works. The only thing it provides you is protection from govt restriction of speech. That's it. You have no first AM protections at work (unless your employer is the govt).

In other words, that is not their 17'n right. They, nor you, nor I have any such right.

Nope. You have the right to say anything you want, or do any type of civil disobedience you want anytime. Those things have consequences in your life and work though. You have the right to do it though.

Quaoarsking
05-25-2018, 06:52 AM
I think President Trump's comments in his interview were very good points.

You talking about this? "Well, I think that's good. I don't think people should be staying in locker rooms. But still, I think it's good. You have to stand proudly for the national anthem, or you shouldn't be playing, you shouldn't be there. Maybe you shouldn't be in the country."

Is it really appropriate for the president of the United States to say that people who have a political disagreement with him "shouldn't be in the country" ?

Before you answer, pretend this was a quote from Obama talking about people who won't bake cakes for gays or some other issue you disagree with him on.

Bulldog1
05-25-2018, 07:42 AM
It might be harsh, but I agree with his point. "Stand for the National anthem"

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-25-2018, 07:57 AM
Crying over players supposedly disrespecting the flag and national anthem when they have repeatedly said it has nothing to do with either is about as snowflakey as it gets. Just like always the conbots call others snowflakes when it is them that are the biggest snowflakes of all. Gonna boycott the NFL cause a player knelt during the anthem. Crybabies and it ain't the players. Now move this to the PB already so Mutt can't spew some more hatred all over the board.

Once again, this is such crap.

It doesn't matter what the players say the cause is for, it only matters how the fans perceive it. This "movement" was started by a truly anti American person in Colin Kaepernick, and other players followed suit and claimed it wasn't about the flag or the anthem. That's total BS.

It would not go over very well if I as a husband started going out and sleeping with a bunch of other women, and claimed it was in support of feminism. Maybe it would serve as some sort of self justification, but in the end it would just be adultery. Also, the only audience who was important (my wife) would not appreciate it either. Just because you claim a vile act that pisses a lot of people off is for some sort of different cause, doesn't mean it is.

Bully13
05-25-2018, 09:00 AM

It doesn't matter what the players say the cause is for, it only matters how the fans perceive it. This "movement" was started by a truly anti American person in Colin Kaepernick, and other players followed suit and claimed it wasn't about the flag or the anthem. That's total BS.

It would not go over very well if I as a husband started going out and sleeping with a bunch of other women, and claimed it was in support of feminism. Maybe it would serve as some sort of self justification, but in the end it would just be adultery. Also, the only audience who was important (my wife) would not appreciate it either. Just because you claim a vile act that pisses a lot of people off is for some sort of different cause, doesn't mean it is.

Rep Given. Great Post.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-25-2018, 09:04 AM
If the players truly were doing this for social justice, then I might actually support them. But they don't truly believe in social justice, nor do they want it.

Bully13
05-25-2018, 09:26 AM
This "movement" all started with false narratives from the "Glass Half Empty" crowd. This is nothing more than the crowd of folk these days who are always spewing the same bullshit wanting victimization sympathy. Instead of looking at all the progress made in our country (Glass Half Full), They wanna use a few isolated incidents to create a false narrative that we are still back in the Jim Crow days and all white cops wake up every morning with a stiffy spurred on by fantasizing about killing a person of color. Do we live in a paradise where racism has been totally eradicated? Of course not, but the left's quest for this utopian dream world over exaggerates and does nothing but divide us as a nation and the George Soros's of the world fund this shit and do so intentionally to create chaos and dissent. This movement is not about free speech, 1st Amendment rights, protecting black people from cops or anything of the sort. It's political false ammo for left leaning politics. Ginned up to fire up the low information voters who are too lazy to self educate so they rely on the drive by media for their "education".

Michael "hands up don't shoot" Brown was shot and killed in 2016 by a Ferguson, MO cop. That same year, 126 cops died in the line of duty. Can anyone here name one of them? thought not. No matter what your race is, all of us should be proud of this country in which we live. Based on our overALL history, we've done a damned good job. Bettern any other in World History. Talk about throwing out the baby with the dirty bath water. geesh. The baby is clean, it just needs to be toweled dry. It may cry too much sometimes, still needs it's diapers cleaned when it poops and does # 1, but overall it's a beautiful thing given to us by God. Just clean it up and give it a warm hug and love it. It will do you good.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-25-2018, 10:19 AM
Michael "hands up don't shoot" Brown was shot and killed in 2016 by a Ferguson, MO cop. That same year, 126 cops died in the line of duty. Can anyone here name one of them? thought not. No matter what your race is, all of us should be proud of this country in which we live. Based on our overALL history, we've done a damned good job. Bettern any other in World History. Talk about throwing out the baby with the dirty bath water. geesh. The baby is clean, it just needs to be toweled dry. It may cry too much sometimes, still needs it's diapers cleaned when it poops and does # 1, but overall it's a beautiful thing given to us by God. Just clean it up and give it a warm hug and love it. It will do you good.

Michael Brown was one of the NFL players' examples. But if they were really for social justice, the players would have supported Officer Wilson. Eyewitness testimony, forensics, etc. all show that Michael Brown attacked the cop with the intent to kill him. The cop defended himself. So by using Michael Brown in their stance, they have proven they don't give a damn about social justice.

confucius say
05-25-2018, 12:03 PM
Nope. You have the right to say anything you want, or do any type of civil disobedience you want anytime. Those things have consequences in your life and work though. You have the right to do it though.

Don't confuse a legal right to do smn but suffering consequences for it (like exercising first AM rights but people
taking their business elsewhere) with not having a legal right to do smn.

Here, there is no legal right being exercised by the players. They have a first AM right to protest, but that right only guarantees you freedom from punishment by the govt, not from a private employer like the nfl. The first AM protects you from the govt only.

Dawg61
05-25-2018, 02:22 PM

Ask Stephon Clark if we have a problem with police violence in this country

somebodyshotmypaw
05-25-2018, 02:48 PM
Ask Stephon Clark if we have a problem with police violence in this country

Stephon Clark had been convicted of robbery and domestic violence, so I would agree that he knows something about violence.

Dawg61
05-25-2018, 03:04 PM
Stephon Clark had been convicted of robbery and domestic violence, so I would agree that he knows something about violence.

delete

somebodyshotmypaw
05-25-2018, 03:14 PM
What's that got to do with getting murdered by Sacramento police officers while holding a phone?

Nothing. But I like to state facts instead of assumptions. At this point, we don't have all of the facts in the Sacramento issue. Once they come out and are investigated, we will know if the shooting was justified. At this point, you are just assuming murder and police violence. I am neither assuming the officers' innocence or guilt. But we do factually know that Stephon Clark was a criminal and a violent person.

So while you are blindly on the side of Stephon Clark, regardless of his guilt or innocence, I am on the side of truth and justice. That may, or may not, be in the favor of Stephon Clark.

Mutt the Hoople
05-25-2018, 07:16 PM

NO, you're not getting it. The players union is weak, and their President is a toady for Roger Goodell. If the NFLPA had anyone with any smarts, they'd have had an agreement hammered out between the Commissioner, Owners, and PLayers Association by which everybody's happy.

The NBA players union is full of knuckleheads as well. However, they're blessed with over 30 years of strong Commissioners (David Stern followed by Adam Silver), and that commissioner keeps the owners in line, and has impressed the importance of working together to promote the game.

The NFL doesn't give a shit about its image other than they think the Golden Goose will keep laying eggs forever and ever. The NFL has some serious problems coming up- the CTE problems won't go away, ratings and season ticket sales will continue to go down, and there's better things to do on Sunday than sit and watch a bunch of spoiled women-beating Millionaires spit in our faces and praise cop-killers.

Finally, this is not about free speech, it is about appropriating a 100 year old American cultural tradition that began in the 1918 World Series to honor injured veterans from World War 1. NFL players are stealing this solemn time that brings us together as a people and turning it into a protest that most NFL customers did not pay to see.

If you're all about pressuring private groups to respect free speech, you must feel the same way about the Westboro Baptist Church members who protest at military funerals. Are the NFL player kneeling protests on the same level as the Westboro Church protests in that they are appropriating a cultural moment to honor our military and using it for their own narrow purposes? Can one support the former while rejecting the latter?

ATTILLA THE DOG
05-25-2018, 07:35 PM
It's the calm before the storm

Q

TUSK
05-25-2018, 08:31 PM
You talking about this? "Well, I think that's good. I don't think people should be staying in locker rooms. But still, I think it's good. You have to stand proudly for the national anthem, or you shouldn't be playing, you shouldn't be there. Maybe you shouldn't be in the country."

Is it really appropriate for the president of the United States to say that people who have a political disagreement with him "shouldn't be in the country" ?

Before you answer, pretend this was a quote from Obama talking about people who won't bake cakes for gays or some other issue you disagree with him on.

He (Pres Obama) would prolly say somethin' like, "If I had a son, he'd look a lot like Colin."...

Or something like that....

TUSK
05-25-2018, 08:36 PM
What's that got to do with getting murdered by Sacramento police officers while holding a phone?

I read somewhere that the "phone" was actually an "Assault Phone"... with 30 Terabyte capacity... and redial.

I'll allow it.

Bully13
05-25-2018, 09:24 PM
NO, you're not getting it. The players union is weak, and their President is a toady for Roger Goodell. If the NFLPA had anyone with any smarts, they'd have had an agreement hammered out between the Commissioner, Owners, and PLayers Association by which everybody's happy.

The NBA players union is full of knuckleheads as well. However, they're blessed with over 30 years of strong Commissioners (David Stern followed by Adam Silver), and that commissioner keeps the owners in line, and has impressed the importance of working together to promote the game.

The NFL doesn't give a shit about its image other than they think the Golden Goose will keep laying eggs forever and ever. The NFL has some serious problems coming up- the CTE problems won't go away, ratings and season ticket sales will continue to go down, and there's better things to do on Sunday than sit and watch a bunch of spoiled women-beating Millionaires spit in our faces and praise cop-killers.

Finally, this is not about free speech, it is about appropriating a 100 year old American cultural tradition that began in the 1918 World Series to honor injured veterans from World War 1. NFL players are stealing this solemn time that brings us together as a people and turning it into a protest that most NFL customers did not pay to see.

If you're all about pressuring private groups to respect free speech, you must feel the same way about the Westboro Baptist Church members who protest at military funerals. Are the NFL player kneeling protests on the same level as the Westboro Church protests in that they are appropriating a cultural moment to honor our military and using it for their own narrow purposes? Can one support the former while rejecting the latter?

Rep Given.

Dawg61
05-26-2018, 03:51 PM
Nothing. But I like to state facts instead of assumptions. At this point, we don't have all of the facts in the Sacramento issue. Once they come out and are investigated, we will know if the shooting was justified. At this point, you are just assuming murder and police violence. I am neither assuming the officers' innocence or guilt. But we do factually know that Stephon Clark was a criminal and a violent person.

So while you are blindly on the side of Stephon Clark, regardless of his guilt or innocence, I am on the side of truth and justice. That may, or may not, be in the favor of Stephon Clark.

delete

somebodyshotmypaw
05-26-2018, 03:59 PM
I take it you didn't watch the video. You can literally watch him get murdered by police officers or you could the week it happened not sure if they pulled it all off the internet by now. Don't take the side of murderers man it's never a good look. Even the ones wearing uniforms and carrying badges. Oh and they handcuffed his dead corpse after shooting him twenty times.

Do you struggle with reading comprehension? I'm not taking anybody's side. I said that. I said I was waiting for all facts to come out rather than making assumptions. I'm not saying the officers are guilty or innocent until we know more.

Dawg61
05-26-2018, 04:04 PM

I think some people that originally started the movement weren't exactly smart enough to differentiate between police officers and the military and didn't understand they were disrespecting millions of Americans. They meant to make a statement towards the police and towards our government and didn't mean to piss off 3/4th of American citizens. They were pot committed at that point though and didn't back down which was mistake #2 and a big one but the NFL cowering to Trump is embarrassing and will never be forgotten.

Dawg61
05-26-2018, 04:05 PM
Do you struggle with reading comprehension? I'm not taking anybody's side. I said that. I said I was waiting for all facts to come out rather than making assumptions. I'm not saying the officers are guilty or innocent until we know more.

Apparently you struggle with it cause you keep commenting on something you didn't watch. Watch the full video and then post next time.

confucius say
05-26-2018, 04:57 PM
I think some people that originally started the movement weren't exactly smart enough to differentiate between police officers and the military and didn't understand they were disrespecting millions of Americans. They meant to make a statement towards the police and towards our government and didn't mean to piss off 3/4th of American citizens. They were pot committed at that point though and didn't back down which was mistake #2 and a big one but the NFL cowering to Trump is embarrassing and will never be forgotten.

Cowering to Trump? Ok.

If the NFL ratings were up 17% instead of down 17% the nfl would not have changed course. The NFL is a business man. The owners don't give two shits what Trump thinks as long as the ratings stay up.

Mutt the Hoople
05-26-2018, 05:51 PM
Cowering to Trump? Ok.

If the NFL ratings were up 17% instead of down 17% the nfl would not have changed course. The NFL is a business man. The owners don't give two shits what Trump thinks as long as the ratings stay up.

They will when Trump removes "non-profit" status from the NFL franchises, and the teams have to start paying taxes.

Bully13
05-26-2018, 05:59 PM
Apparently you struggle with it cause you keep commenting on something you didn't watch. Watch the full video and then post next time.

And let's not leave out the fact that occupational hazards are some of the drawbacks of making your living off breaking into homes and stealing other people's stuff. It's part of the risks the perps voluntarily sign up for.

SailingDawg
05-26-2018, 08:26 PM
They should all be out their standing for the anthem but I guess letting them stay in the locker room is fine too. You have a problem with the anthem? I don't care.

As seen on various social media posts:

Rosa was not protesting the bus line;
Gandhi was not protesting the food;
Players are not protesting the anthem.