PDA

View Full Version : Here's the bottom line on our baseball team

Todd4State
05-22-2018, 10:56 PM
They're scrappy and they play hard enough to overcome Henderson sometimes. We play hard but we make mistakes that indicate that we aren't all that well coached at times also.

Odd as it sounds I think Henderon has been getting too much credit and the players not enough.

We've been through the SEC grinder now- we'll see what our regional draw is and go from there.

CJDAWG85
05-22-2018, 11:01 PM
Rest will be good for them. This tournament means nothing. All about regionals.

MarketingBully
05-22-2018, 11:02 PM
Agree completely Todd. It’s a hell of a lot to ask for our team to try to put up 8-9 runs a game to overcome Henderson dumb ass decisions but that is where we are.

Todd4State
05-22-2018, 11:07 PM
Rest will be good for them. This tournament means nothing. All about regionals.

100% agree. We have some arms that have looked pretty tired to me.

Okrastar1
05-22-2018, 11:14 PM
France was teeing it up tonight, did not look sharp and that turned the game to me.

preachermatt83
05-22-2018, 11:42 PM
They're scrappy and they play hard enough to overcome Henderson sometimes. We play hard but we make mistakes that indicate that we aren't all that well coached at times also.

Odd as it sounds I think Henderon has been getting too much credit and the players not enough.

We've been through the SEC grinder now- we'll see what our regional draw is and go from there.

Yes!!!

MarketingBully
05-22-2018, 11:47 PM
Bottom line is this. If Henderson had Self warming up to start the fifth and had him ready to go when Pilk had his brainfart, we would be playing tomorrow period. That is all...

preachermatt83
05-22-2018, 11:49 PM
Bottom line is this. If Henderson had Self warming up to start the fifth and had him ready to go when Pilk had his brainfart, we would be playing tomorrow period. That is all...

Amen! Why do ppl continue to defend the man? He's cost us more games than he's won for us. Our wins were mostly in spite of him.

Todd4State
05-22-2018, 11:57 PM

I can understand going with France because of his historical success against LSU. After that I agree with going with Self.

Bulldog1
05-22-2018, 11:58 PM
When we realized JP was off, Self should've come in then.

Todd4State
05-22-2018, 11:59 PM
Amen! Why do ppl continue to defend the man? He's cost us more games than he's won for us. Our wins were mostly in spite of him.

It's a minority on this board that were suddenly vocal after we swept Florida. But I'm also talking about media people that think he should have been coach of the year.

MarketingBully
05-23-2018, 12:02 AM
It's a minority on this board that were suddenly vocal after we swept Florida. But I'm also talking about media people that think he should have been coach of the year.

If Self can continue to develop his secondary pitches, I would give him a shot in the rotation next year.

Pit Bull
05-23-2018, 12:03 AM

I seriously doubt Schloss, Corbin, Tad, Polk, Cohen, or McDonnell would have done any better had they inherited the same situation. We've done well for the talent and experience on this team. Can't win them all. Polk tried to explain it to us long ago......That's Baseball.....just because the ball is small and round doesn't mean it won't take funny bounces. LSU's record was 15-15 which is in severe bubble territory. They HAD to win. Do or die or them. We'll be ok. I just hope all the baseball genius's on this board remember when we lose games like this and many others under our new coach...... but probably not.....they'll want him fired the first time we lose to TAMCC or somebody like that.

MarketingBully
05-23-2018, 12:15 AM
I seriously doubt Schloss, Corbin, Tad, Polk, Cohen, or McDonnell would have done any better had they inherited the same situation. We've done well for the talent and experience on this team. Can't win them all. Polk tried to explain it to us long ago......That's Baseball.....just because the ball is small and round doesn't mean it won't take funny bounces. LSU's record was 15-15 which is in severe bubble territory. They HAD to win. Do or die or them. We'll be ok. I just hope all the baseball genius's on this board remember when we lose games like this and many others under our new coach...... but probably not.....they'll want him fired the first time we lose to TAMCC or somebody like that.

Bullshit. Schloss or McDonnell has 40+ wins with this team and probably is a national seed and wins the West. I’m telling you if we get one of those guys we will win big. They have won big and won quickly everywhere they have been.

Bulldog1
05-23-2018, 12:18 AM
Schloss/McDonnell have proven they can win. We would be hosting with either as coach.

Commercecomet24
05-23-2018, 12:23 AM
Henderson is a fair to good head coach. Schloss, Mcdonell and those in that tier are elite. That's good for 5-10 wins a year. There's an old saying in baseball, you will lose a third of your games, you will win a third of your games and it's what you do with the other third that separates winners from losers. This is where elite head coaches are the difference.

MarketingBully
05-23-2018, 12:46 AM
Henderson is a 32-25 type of coach. That’s what he averaged at Kentucky over his career there. We are probably seeing what Kentucky fans saw when he was there. In games where his offense showed up, he won a ton of those. In games where the result was closer, he lost his fair share because he would make boneheaded decisions he’s made this year. He’s a decent to good pitching coach and average to decent head coach. He’s the Andy Kennedy of baseball head coaches basically. Ironic how he got to 31-25 with us. I imagine we will finish somewhere around 33-27. I think we get out to a good start in the regional and make it to the final of said regional but don’t make it out and I’m good with that result.

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 01:07 AM

I've never liked the "that's baseball" quote because too often it became a crutch for excusing sloppy baseball. There's a lot less luck than what a lot of fans believe. I believe you work hard, you play the game hard and are fundamentally sound you will win the game.

As far as the coaches- I believe that the elite coaches feel the same way that I do about that.

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 01:13 AM
Henderson is a fair to good head coach. Schloss, Mcdonell and those in that tier are elite. That's good for 5-10 wins a year. There's an old saying in baseball, you will lose a third of your games, you will win a third of your games and it's what you do with the other third that separates winners from losers. This is where elite head coaches are the difference.

I agree with that. This is a team that should be hosting. I've gotten roasted a little during the year for predicting that we would go to Omaha before the season started. The way this team has played made me feel a little better about that prediction based on how they performed despite the instability. Essentially we had a better year than the Ole Miss Yankees had last year that every one of our fans thinks is so great had last year with a similar roster make up.

A stable situation with this group probably has us hosting. If not more.

bulldawg28
05-23-2018, 05:11 AM
I don't blame the coaching here, it's the players lack of mental edge. They don't believe they should beat LSU. This is the SEC. The coach should be able to pick any pitcher, hitter, coach etc and they should perform. When I saw we were playing LSU I knew it was over. Good teams don't sweep the #1 team then lose ALL of that momentum and lose to interior competition. Baseball is an up and down sport but these players just don't have it.

Cooterpoot
05-23-2018, 06:01 AM
This team wasn’t a 40 win team in year one of any coach. They had to grow up the first half of the season and our pen sucks. It’s the perfect time for a new guy now. I’m not even concerned with the regional. Just bring on the new coach!

Bully13
05-23-2018, 06:36 AM

Henderson, once uhGAIN left Pilk in too long. amirite? Coulda had a chance had he not. amirite? good short synopsis Todd. Look forward to the regionals and have a hard on for next year.

basedog
05-23-2018, 06:56 AM
PlayStation guys just don't get it, Henderson was never gonna be our HC until Cann sh*t in the bed. To keep ripping him because he isn't elite is just foolish at this point. Players have to make plays regardless who is in the game. We left so many men on bases last night and it was just as bad as our pitchers getting hit or making mistakes. I haven't seen one post from anyone saying they hope Henderson gets the HC at Msu. To say Henderson is the fault was made by Cann and when we do hire an elite Coach you PlayStation Coaches better get an upgrade for your know it all game.

Agenda > PlayStation Coaches

yjnkdawg
05-23-2018, 09:19 AM
Schloss/McDonnell have proven they can win. We would be hosting with either as coach.

LOL ...You don't know if we would be hosting a regional. I don't know if we would. John Cohen doesn't know if we would. Kendall Rogers doesn't even know either if we would. What you are saying is called speculation. One of those coaches would have to inherit and go through the exact situation that Cann caused for us to actually know if that would be factual or fictional, or even know how the season would have played out. Sounds big, but no facts to support it.

yjnkdawg
05-23-2018, 09:25 AM
Bullshit. Schloss or McDonnell has 40+ wins with this team and probably is a national seed and wins the West. I?m telling you if we get one of those guys we will win big. They have won big and won quickly everywhere they have been.

Nobody has a clue on how this season would have played out. Maybe or maybe not. However I do agree with your last two sentences.

shoeless joe
05-23-2018, 09:36 AM
Hendersons game management prolly cost us a game or two no doubt. However, his overall managing of the team from everything that being a head coach involves, is what allowed us to have the success we did have. Going 9-1 versus the top teams isnt an accident or done "in spite" of a coach. Just like some of our losses could have been avoided with different personnel decisions. The game is so much more than personnel decisions, and quite frankly sometimes the right decision is made and players don't execute. Baseball is so mental and is a game of failure...but Lord have mercy some on here ain't got a clue.

MadDawg
05-23-2018, 09:47 AM
I believe you work hard, you play the game hard and are fundamentally sound you will win the game.

And if the other team works hard, plays the game hard and are fundamentally sound, who wins? Polk knew what he was talking about.

shoeless joe
05-23-2018, 09:56 AM
And if the other team works hard, plays the game hard and are fundamentally sound, who wins? Polk knew what he was talking about.

The team that catches the breaks. That's how baseball works.

All the things todd mentioned are important and they consistently put you in position to win against equal or lesser competition. But actually winning comes down to bounces and things that could go either way.
Few examples: line shot hit rite at an infielder versus a jam shot that bloops over the infield. A border line call that could go either way. A hitter that guesses rite and ambushes a good pitch. These are all part of the game and championships have been won or lost, postseason made or missed, etc; based on this kind of stuff. And the only way to say it is...That's Baseball

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 10:09 AM

The team that executes better.

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 10:13 AM
PlayStation guys just don't get it, Henderson was never gonna be our HC until Cann sh*t in the bed. To keep ripping him because he isn't elite is just foolish at this point. Players have to make plays regardless who is in the game. We left so many men on bases last night and it was just as bad as our pitchers getting hit or making mistakes. I haven't seen one post from anyone saying they hope Henderson gets the HC at Msu. To say Henderson is the fault was made by Cann and when we do hire an elite Coach you PlayStation Coaches better get an upgrade for your know it all game.

Agenda > PlayStation Coaches

Genespage mentioned Henderson as a candidate. I laughed.

You don't get it either. We have a high standard and just because Cohen hired someone that is not up to our standard in Cann resulting in us having to promote a below average head coach temporarily it does not mean that everyone else should lower their standard.

Offshore Dawg
05-23-2018, 10:23 AM
I for one have faith that with all the time that he has had that our "IB" will not <17> up this head baseball coach hire. He may not come up with your choice. But I trust it to be a good choice.

shoeless joe
05-23-2018, 10:30 AM
The team that executes better.

A seeing eye single versus a grounder to short isn't on execution

tcdog70
05-23-2018, 10:40 AM
Question--Is it the Coaches fault when your best pitcher fails to take an out the opponent gives Us. Thus giving up 2 runs. or is it the Coaches fault when another pitcher 17s up a taylor made double play? Thus giving up 2 more runs. that is 4 gift runs we gave LSU-- Is it the Coaches fault when you have runners at 3td and cannot get the run home with less that 2 outs? W e left 16 runners on base(i think that is right-correct if i'm wrong) we should have been up 8 runs after 4 innings. Most people on here wanted France to pitch-he did and He lobbed up nothing balls. Is that the Coaches fault.

Bottom line-LSU is our kryptonite--our players choked (last Night)-- let's move on

yjnkdawg
05-23-2018, 11:11 AM
Question--Is it the Coaches fault when your best pitcher fails to take an out the opponent gives Us. Thus giving up 2 runs. or is it the Coaches fault when another pitcher 17s up a taylor made double play? Thus giving up 2 more runs. that is 4 gift runs we gave LSU-- Is it the Coaches fault when you have runners at 3td and cannot get the run home with less that 2 outs? W e left 16 runners on base(i think that is right-correct if i'm wrong) we should have been up 8 runs after 4 innings. Most people on here wanted France to pitch-he did and He lobbed up nothing balls. Is that the Coaches fault.

Bottom line-LSU is our kryptonite--our players choked (last Night)-- let's move on

Nahhh!!! It was all Henderson's fault. He also pitches, bats, runs the bases, and plays defense on the field. Now if we would have had the elite message board coaches actually coaching on the field then we would have not seen these player mental errors, all those runners left on base, the pitching would be like clockwork and we would have beat LSU by 10 runs. We would also be a national seed if they had come in and saved the day after the Cann debacle.***

basedog
05-23-2018, 11:18 AM
Genespage mentioned Henderson as a candidate. I laughed.

You don't get it either. We have a high standard and just because Cohen hired someone that is not up to our standard in Cann resulting in us having to promote a below average head coach temporarily it does not mean that everyone else should lower their standard.

I don't read genespage, Henderson was the correct candidate for Cohen's decision going forward. No one has wanted to lower Msu standards Todd.

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 11:25 AM
A seeing eye single versus a grounder to short isn't on execution
Depends on the situation.

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 11:27 AM

It always eventually falls back on the coaches fair or not. Especially when something routinely occurs over and over again. That's why they practice. And who runs practice?

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 11:30 AM
I don't read genespage, Henderson was the correct candidate for Cohen's decision going forward. No one has wanted to lower Msu standards Todd.

And no one said that Henderson shouldn't have been the interim in our situation. Never said you wanted to lower MSU standards either. Henderson is an experienced coach that is making mistakes that a competent baseball coach shouldn't make.

sleepy dawg
05-23-2018, 11:42 AM

I'll defend him because I appreciate what he's done. He wasn't hired to be our head coach and he doesn't deserve to be held to the same standard. He was asked to step in and take over a shitty situation. I don't expect him to be coaching at the level of what we're looking for b/c that's not why we hired him and its why he's not seriously being considered for our opening. I think Henderson has done the best he can which has been good enough to get this team where it is. Yes, the players deserve credit... a lot of credit. I'm glad we had Henderson on staff. He has done well as an interim.

Backspin
05-23-2018, 11:44 AM
This team wasn’t a 40 win team in year one of any coach. They had to grow up the first half of the season and our pen sucks. It’s the perfect time for a new guy now. I’m not even concerned with the regional. Just bring on the new coach!

I agree. This was never a 40 win team regardless of the coach. Pitching depth is not there for a variety of reasons plus there are simply not enough big bats in the lineup who can do damage while striking out less than 20% of ABs to compliment some of the good "table setters."

basedog
05-23-2018, 11:54 AM
And no one said that Henderson shouldn't have been the interim in our situation. Never said you wanted to lower MSU standards either. Henderson is an experienced coach that is making mistakes that a competent baseball coach shouldn't make.

It's a reason he is intern, had a ok run at Kentucky, I wish him well next year. Seems to be a decent guy and maybe past his time, it happens to many Coaches.

shoeless joe
05-23-2018, 12:08 PM
Depends on the situation.

No it doesn't.

I seen it dawg
05-23-2018, 12:22 PM
I posted this in another thread.....it takes constant focused work. It can be done and that's a fact. And it's stuff that has been taught and been effective at high level high school programs

It's always an agenda...why can't it just be i wish we would hammer mental toughness home woth our pitchers or recruit more mentally tough kids that don't go out and walk guys leading off innings after we score? Or 2 out walks? Or pitcher throws the damn ball to second base to start a routine 1-6-3? Or pitchers fielding their position? Or catchers not being lazy as shit and block EVERY dirt/turf ball? All that is on the pitching coach. Wtf is agenda about that? Agenda i wish our pitching coach would do those things then fine I'm guilty.

Bothrops
05-23-2018, 12:30 PM
Our biggest problem yesterday was having to play LSU.

MarketingBully
05-23-2018, 12:38 PM
This team wasn?t a 40 win team in year one of any coach. They had to grow up the first half of the season and our pen sucks. It?s the perfect time for a new guy now. I?m not even concerned with the regional. Just bring on the new coach!

We are very similar to Louisville this year and look at what Dan McDonnell has done there. They have 40+ wins and will be a 2 seed somewhere. They have less talent on that team then we do and are similarly as young. I just don?t think you guys understand the influence an elite coach would have on this program. Jim Schlossnagle and Dan McDonnell had been to 8 combined CWS?s in the last five years. Either one of those guys would have won 40+ games. I think a few get it such as Todd and I Seen It. Henderson is a mediocre coach and has statistically done what he ended up doing this year. He only won 40+ games one time. His average though was 32-34 wins which he probably will end up doing this year. He never made a super regional as a head coach and I think we finish 2-2 in the regional. When we get an elite coach, you will understand what I mean. If we get McDonnell or Schlossnagle, you will see consistent 40+ win seasons every year because that?s what they have done every year everywhere they have been. We are talking about 2 of the top 5 coaches in all of college baseball.

bulldawg28
05-23-2018, 03:49 PM
I posted this in another thread.....it takes constant focused work. It can be done and that's a fact. And it's stuff that has been taught and been effective at high level high school programs

It's always an agenda...why can't it just be i wish we would hammer mental toughness home woth our pitchers or recruit more mentally tough kids that don't go out and walk guys leading off innings after we score? Or 2 out walks? Or pitcher throws the damn ball to second base to start a routine 1-6-3? Or pitchers fielding their position? Or catchers not being lazy as shit and block EVERY dirt/turf ball? All that is on the pitching coach. Wtf is agenda about that? Agenda i wish our pitching coach would do those things then fine I'm guilty.

This all day. F*** excuses make the play when you get the opportunity.

tcdog70
05-23-2018, 03:51 PM
We are very similar to Louisville this year and look at what Dan McDonnell has done there. They have 40+ wins and will be a 2 seed somewhere. They have less talent on that team then we do and are similarly as young. I just don?t think you guys understand the influence an elite coach would have on this program. Jim Schlossnagle and Dan McDonnell had been to 8 combined CWS?s in the last five years. Either one of those guys would have won 40+ games. I think a few get it such as Todd and I Seen It. Henderson is a mediocre coach and has statistically done what he ended up doing this year. He only won 40+ games one time. His average though was 32-34 wins which he probably will end up doing this year. He never made a super regional as a head coach and I think we finish 2-2 in the regional. When we get an elite coach, you will understand what I mean. If we get McDonnell or Schlossnagle, you will see consistent 40+ win seasons every year because that?s what they have done every year everywhere they have been. We are talking about 2 of the top 5 coaches in all of college baseball.

did ole Dan take over after a HC was screwing around? it looks like we might be a 2 seed -also. We played in the toughest Conference in the Nation and Dan didn't. we are 9-1 against top 3 teams--what is Louisville's record against top 3 teams. Did they play against any top 3 teams? when we get an Elite Coach I'll bet the Mfer's on here that bitch at Henderson(like they did Coinz) will cry and bitch about whomever it is.

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 03:55 PM
No it doesn't.

Absolutely it does. Maybe the pitcher didn't locate/execute the pitch where he should have. Maybe the hitter did a better job of executing at the plate and fought off a tough pitch and got it to fall in. Maybe the infielder has limited range and it's a talent issue.

And even if it is a rare pure dumb luck play games are not won and lost on one play. So you have to be able to consistently execute better than your opponent.

Like last night- the reason we lost wasn't because "it's LSU" or we're scared of them. It's because we walked people and played poor defensively. That's execution. That ultimately falls back on the coaches for not having them prepared.

tcdog70
05-23-2018, 03:58 PM
It always eventually falls back on the coaches fair or not. Especially when something routinely occurs over and over again. That's why they practice. And who runs practice?

a weakass response--you know better. Pilk has been around and knows what base to throw it too, Coaching ain't solving that problem. same with Neff he isn't a freshman--he knows who to throw it to on a comebacker---the Coach doesn't have diddley squat to do with those two plays that lost us the game--it is on 2 players-for being brain dead.

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 04:12 PM
a weakass response--you know better. Pilk has been around and knows what base to throw it too, Coaching ain't solving that problem. same with Neff he isn't a freshman--he knows who to throw it to on a comebacker---the Coach doesn't have diddley squat to do with those two plays that lost us the game--it is on 2 players-for being brain dead.

So who runs pitcher fielding practice? Do you think these guys just learn it in high school and then they just know to do it from then on?

Heck if you asked Henderson he would probably take the blame himself.

preachermatt83
05-23-2018, 04:12 PM
If Self can continue to develop his secondary pitches, I would give him a shot in the rotation next year.

Oh no doubt. I think he will end up as our Saturday guy next year.

shoeless joe
05-23-2018, 05:50 PM
Absolutely it does. Maybe the pitcher didn't locate/execute the pitch where he should have. Maybe the hitter did a better job of executing at the plate and fought off a tough pitch and got it to fall in. Maybe the infielder has limited range and it's a talent issue.

And even if it is a rare pure dumb luck play games are not won and lost on one play. So you have to be able to consistently execute better than your opponent.

Like last night- the reason we lost wasn't because "it's LSU" or we're scared of them. It's because we walked people and played poor defensively. That's execution. That ultimately falls back on the coaches for not having them prepared.

If two equal teams are battling and both teams are executing, as you say, it is going to come down to gettin a break or a bounce. Every hit that a team gets is not a direct result of the other team screwing up.

If I need info on players size, speed, hometown, high school stats and how someone told you they'd project I'll come to you...if I wanna have an involved knowledgeable conversation on the intricacies of the game I'll hafta go to the one or two posters on this board that can have that conversation.

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 06:16 PM
If two equal teams are battling and both teams are executing, as you say, it is going to come down to gettin a break or a bounce. Every hit that a team gets is not a direct result of the other team screwing up.

If I need info on players size, speed, hometown, high school stats and how someone told you they'd project I'll come to you...if I wanna have an involved knowledgeable conversation on the intricacies of the game I'll hafta go to the one or two posters on this board that can have that conversation.

And how often does what you described in the first pragraph ever happen even in MLB? I think the last double no hitter was in the 50's when Harvey Haddix won in the 10th inning.

You execute better you win. Period. If you don't believe me ask the two posters that you do believe.

Regardless- we're not losing because of "bad luck". We're losing because we make too many mistakes like last night.

And on the topic of luck in baseball- luck is even less of a factor now because of replay. Umpires are really the only uncontrollable variable and even that is being dealt with by technology.

shoeless joe
05-23-2018, 06:20 PM
And how often does what you described in the first pragraph ever happen even in MLB? I think the last double no hitter was in the 50's when Harvey Haddix won in the 10th inning.

You execute better you win. Period. If you don't believe me ask the two posters that you do believe.

Regardless- we're not losing because of "bad luck". We're losing because we make too many mistakes like last night.

And on the topic of luck in baseball- luck is even less of a factor now because of replay. Umpires are really the only uncontrollable variable and even that is being dealt with by technology.

I agree with a lot of what you just said but not sure what the double no hitter has to do with my post.

My point is that sometimes the other guys make a play...it doesn't have to be the fault of one of our guys. And mistakes are going to take place. The good teams take advantage.

ETA: a seeing eye single doesn't mean anyone screwed up. The batter making contact is what a lot of pitchers are trying to achieve...soft contact on top of that...but givin up a hit doesn't make it a mistake. Just like barreling up a line drive rite at an infielder doesn't mean the hitter made a mistake. That's baseball

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 06:43 PM
I agree with a lot of what you just said but not sure what the double no hitter has to do with my post.

My point is that sometimes the other guys make a play...it doesn't have to be the fault of one of our guys. And mistakes are going to take place. The good teams take advantage.

ETA: a seeing eye single doesn't mean anyone screwed up. The batter making contact is what a lot of pitchers are trying to achieve...soft contact on top of that...but givin up a hit doesn't make it a mistake. Just like barreling up a line drive rite at an infielder doesn't mean the hitter made a mistake. That's baseball

My point about the no hitters is it is extremely rare for two teams to both execute at an equally perfect level in the same game. That's why it comes down to who executes better that day.

If a pitcher gives up a hit more than likely it was a mistake. If it's not a mistake then it's more than likely a talent issue where the hitter is a superior talent or has more experience than the pitcher. Neither have much to do with luck. I think that's why Ted Williams preached know your hitting zone so much.

If a hitter hits a line drive there is less luck involved there too because of the advanced scouting and all of these defensive shifts that teams use.

shoeless joe
05-23-2018, 06:59 PM
My point about the no hitters is it is extremely rare for two teams to both execute at an equally perfect level in the same game. That's why it comes down to who executes better that day.

If a pitcher gives up a hit more than likely it was a mistake. If it's not a mistake then it's more than likely a talent issue where the hitter is a superior talent or has more experience than the pitcher. Neither have much to do with luck. I think that's why Ted Williams preached know your hitting zone so much.

If a hitter hits a line drive there is less luck involved there too because of the advanced scouting and all of these defensive shifts that teams use.

Agree with paragraph #1

The rest....not so much

Dawgcap
05-23-2018, 07:10 PM
I’m guessing you didn’t compare to TCU cause we’re less talented! Haha I sure hope to get one of these coaches. Definitely a great opportunity for a big upgrade.
But I respect the job Henderson has donewithout agreeing with many decisions he has made.

shoeless joe
05-23-2018, 07:12 PM
Bottom of 3rd in braves game is my exact point. Unpire misses call followed by a swinging bunt and the phils score a run. Neither of those were on mistakes by the pitcher yet he trails 1-0. That's baseball

MarketingBully
05-23-2018, 07:24 PM
I’m guessing you didn’t compare to TCU cause we’re less talented! Haha I sure hope to get one of these coaches. Definitely a great opportunity for a big upgrade.
But I respect the job Henderson has donewithout agreeing with many decisions he has made.

Schlossnagle’s best hitter and pitcher both were lost for the season. I’d hate to see what Henderson’s record would be without Mangum and Small.

Todd4State
05-23-2018, 08:06 PM
Bottom of 3rd in braves game is my exact point. Unpire misses call followed by a swinging bunt and the phils score a run. Neither of those were on mistakes by the pitcher yet he trails 1-0. That's baseball

Sound like the Phillies executed the slash play pretty well to me.

preachermatt83
05-23-2018, 09:56 PM
Schlossnagle’s best hitter and pitcher both were lost for the season. I’d hate to see what Henderson’s record would be without Mangum and Small.

Ha!! Can you imagine!? We would not have won 20.

tcdog70
05-23-2018, 10:14 PM
So who runs pitcher fielding practice? Do you think these guys just learn it in high school and then they just know to do it from then on?

Heck if you asked Henderson he would probably take the blame himself.

Well hell yes I think they learned it in HS, I did, surely they did. And you would think after 3 or 4 years in College you know where to throw the Ball. Shit ask them they will tell you they knew where to go. You are a double dumb ass is you think those 2 plays were a Coaches fault. Why would Henderson take the blame?

shoeless joe
05-23-2018, 10:20 PM
Sound like the Phillies executed the slash play pretty well to me.

Good Lord...I'm done here

Just another example of you speaking about that which you do not know

Todd4State
05-24-2018, 12:06 AM
Well hell yes I think they learned it in HS, I did, surely they did. And you would think after 3 or 4 years in College you know where to throw the Ball. Shit ask them they will tell you they knew where to go. You are a double dumb ass is you think those 2 plays were a Coaches fault. Why would Henderson take the blame?

Because Henderson is the one that runs practice and he's supposed to make sure that the pitchers can field their position. And if more than one of them screw it up it's absolutely on the coaches. Pitchers do go over that stuff in high school- and also in MLB. You know why they go over it in MLB? Because they have to make sure that they know what to do.

Todd4State
05-24-2018, 12:07 AM
Good Lord...I'm done here

Just another example of you speaking about that which you do not know

Here's a quote from a former MLB player- "You make your own luck". Do with that what you will.

bulldawg28
05-24-2018, 05:33 AM
Here's a quote from a former MLB player- "You make your own luck". Do with that what you will.

This is absolutely correct. Players make their luck, not coaches. Coaches don't execute any plays. So why would they take the credit or fall with whatever happens?

tcdog70
05-24-2018, 08:31 AM
Because Henderson is the one that runs practice and he's supposed to make sure that the pitchers can field their position. And if more than one of them screw it up it's absolutely on the coaches. Pitchers do go over that stuff in high school- and also in MLB. You know why they go over it in MLB? Because they have to make sure that they know what to do.

So when Luke overthrows first, it is Henderson's fault? back in the day when I pitched, everytime there was a runner on first with less than 2 outs, I would turn and tell either the SS or 2nd baseman "if the ball is hit to me I'm throwing to you" . Pretty simple--If i failed to do that it was on me not the Coach. And i wasn't a college pitcher. So are you saying that both our pitchers DID NOT KNOW what to do? They were ignorant of the fielding procedure?

Todd4State
05-24-2018, 09:12 AM
So when Luke overthrows first, it is Henderson's fault? back in the day when I pitched, everytime there was a runner on first with less than 2 outs, I would turn and tell either the SS or 2nd baseman "if the ball is hit to me I'm throwing to you" . Pretty simple--If i failed to do that it was on me not the Coach. And i wasn't a college pitcher. So are you saying that both our pitchers DID NOT KNOW what to do? They were ignorant of the fielding procedure?

What did our pitchers actions say? Just because you wouldn't have screwed it up it doesn't mean that our guys wouldn't. If a guy makes one mistake a small part of that is on the coach. When multiple guys at the same position group make the same types of mistakes and it has happened all year it is definitely on the coach.

Homedawg
05-24-2018, 10:10 AM
What did our pitchers actions say? Just because you wouldn't have screwed it up it doesn't mean that our guys wouldn't. If a guy makes one mistake a small part of that is on the coach. When multiple guys at the same position group make the same types of mistakes and it has happened all year it is definitely on the coach.

So you are saying we don't practice this? We work on it all the time. If we didn't i'd call it coaching, but throwing it isn't on him. Hendo has made his fair share of mistakes, but lets leave it to those not a physical error on the pitcher or whoever.

Todd4State
05-24-2018, 11:01 AM
So you are saying we don't practice this? We work on it all the time. If we didn't i'd call it coaching, but throwing it isn't on him. Hendo has made his fair share of mistakes, but lets leave it to those not a physical error on the pitcher or whoever.

No I'm not saying we don't practice it at all. I'm saying it's either not taught well enough or we don't go over it enough and it obviously needs to be reviewed while we have this break.

tcdog70
05-24-2018, 11:16 AM
No I'm not saying we don't practice it at all. I'm saying it's either not taught well enough or we don't go over it enough and it obviously needs to be reviewed while we have this break.

I used to think you were a pretty good poster--but brother it looks like stupid has come over you--STFU

Homedawg
05-24-2018, 11:21 AM

That’s the equivalent of blaming a basketball coach that we miss free throws. Even though they get practiced every day. Pfp, is literally in every practice.

basedog
05-24-2018, 11:41 AM
I used to think you were a pretty good poster--but brother it looks like stupid has come over you--STFU

+1