PDA

View Full Version : Baseball HC

BuckyIsAB****
05-21-2018, 01:10 PM
I see a lot of threads about Schlossnagle and McDonnell, how sure are we that we are getting them?

I said in the beginning that we could get a big fish while others said there was no way (C34) but for those in the know, are we sure?

How close to a done deal is it? Reading here it looks like about 99 percent its one of them

Rick Danko
05-21-2018, 01:12 PM
Don?t let anyone convince you they know.... they don?t

Bully13
05-21-2018, 02:03 PM
Don?t let anyone convince you they know.... they don?t

That would be correct, HOWEVER. From Cohen's own mouth: "The new HC has had multiple trips to Omaha"

smootness
05-21-2018, 02:04 PM
Based on what Cohen himself has said, it is extremely likely it's one of them.

BuckyIsAB****
05-21-2018, 03:13 PM
I just dont wanna count my chickens before they hatch

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-21-2018, 03:28 PM
I understand the sentiment. While there are dozens of reasons that this is different, I can see why other fan bases think we're acting like Tennessee fans with Gruden. We're also setting ourselves up for bitter disappointment if we hire a very good coach who's not one of those two.

That being said, in the event we do hire Schloss/McDonnell, I expect the MSU fans on SEC Rant to have an absolute field day.

Tbonewannabe
05-22-2018, 01:00 PM
Would everyone be disappointed now if it was Corbin or Tadlock? I just wonder where people are getting their info that it is set on either Scholss or McDonnell. Several head coaches match the criteria but I am wondering why fans have locked onto these two.

MarketingBully
05-22-2018, 01:08 PM
Would everyone be disappointed now if it was Corbin or Tadlock? I just wonder where people are getting their info that it is set on either Scholss or McDonnell. Several head coaches match the criteria but I am wondering why fans have locked onto these two.

Well considering Tadlock and Tech will be a national seed and possibly make another CWS and Corbin has won a natty, I’d be good with those two.

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-22-2018, 01:15 PM

I'm afraid so. We've set the bar at the absolute highest standard and if we don't hire one of those two, and it's not Corbin, Tadlock, Virginia's guy, O'Sullivan, or one of the other super elite coaches, I'm afraid our fanbase will react way more negatively than they should

I can't speak for anyone else, but to me Schloss and McDonnell have proven they're the cream of the crop over the past nearly 15 years. Corbin is 10 years older than them and in my opinion, less accomplished (obviously debateable). Tadlock has an incredibly impressive resume in the 4 or so years he's been at TTech, he just hasn't proven if for as long as the other two have.

ETA: let me emphasize that hiring Corbin and Tadlock would at worst be an A hire, probably still an A+.

deadheaddawg
05-22-2018, 01:21 PM
I'm afraid so. We've set the bar at the absolute highest standard and if we don't hire one of those two, and it's not Corbin, Tadlock, Virginia's guy, O'Sullivan, or one of the other super elite coaches, I'm afraid our fanbase will react way more negatively than they should

True, but you can lay that blame soley on Cohen then.

The reason the bar is set as high as it is, is because Cohen put it there with his comments

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-22-2018, 01:36 PM
True, but you can lay that blame soley on Cohen then.

The reason the bar is set as high as it is, is because Cohen put it there with his comments

I completely agree. I think that we had our expectations pretty tempered before that interview. And I'd like to think that if he said multiple CWS appearances meaning "as an assistant and a head coach" and didn't mean for it to be taken strictly as head coach appearances, then he'd have a feel that our expectations are way too high and would be making some sort of an effort to lower them back down a little.

It would just suck for there to be some degree of fracture in our fanbase because we hire a very good coach but the fans were expecting an elite hire.

Jack Lambert
05-22-2018, 02:12 PM

But you do have the egg under the heat lamp?

Cooterpoot
05-22-2018, 02:20 PM
Nobody would be disappointed with Tadlock. Corbin there would be a little but it would be very little. But Corbin isn't the guy.

ShotgunDawg
05-22-2018, 02:25 PM

I've thought about this as well, but let me explain why I believe we are getting one of the big time guys.

- John Cohen is not an idiot. Like any good AD, I have to believe he reads message boards & has a pulse on what the fan base expects.
- John Cohen has been interviewed numerous times over the past few months & has done nothing but raise expectations for this hire:
- When asked what the credentials are Cohen has responded that the coach had multiple College World Series.
- When asked if MSU would go to 1.5 mil, Cohen responded that the coaches we were looking at make really good money where they are.
- Cohen said on OOB that he has been personally shocked at the interest in this job from Hall of Fame caliber coaches.
- Again, Cohen knows what people are thinking and he has done NOTHING to dispel the rumors. At very least, if he wasn't sure, he'd would attempt to pump the brakes when he is interviewed.

Therefore my conclusion is that, Cohen knows who the hire is & is OK with fans expecting a big time name.

Todd4State
05-22-2018, 03:56 PM
I've thought about this as well, but let me explain why I believe we are getting one of the big time guys.

- John Cohen is not an idiot. Like any good AD, I have to believe he reads message boards & has a pulse on what the fan base expects.
- John Cohen has been interviewed numerous times over the past few months & has done nothing but raise expectations for this hire:
- When asked what the credentials are Cohen has responded that the coach had multiple College World Series.
- When asked if MSU would go to 1.5 mil, Cohen responded that the coaches we were looking at make really good money where they are.
- Cohen said on OOB that he has been personally shocked at the interest in this job from Hall of Fame caliber coaches.
- Again, Cohen knows what people are thinking and he has done NOTHING to dispel the rumors. At very least, if he wasn't sure, he'd would attempt to pump the brakes when he is interviewed.

Therefore my conclusion is that, Cohen knows who the hire is & is OK with fans expecting a big time name.

This and thank God we don't have Stricklin running this thing.

BuckyIsAB****
05-22-2018, 04:11 PM
But you do have the egg under the heat lamp?

I do