PDA

View Full Version : Grand Isle Wrap-Up

BeastMan
05-21-2018, 10:02 AM
Man what a fun weekend. We got in town Friday lunch and went straight to Artie?s for a cpl beers and a poboy. We checked in our camp that was right across from Elmer?s Island and unloaded everything and got on the water at 5pm and were greeted by a 20+ mph wsw wind. It was almost unfishable but we anchored at a point on a mangrove line not a quarter mile from the camp and I got 2 big reds. Not bad way to start. State won the baseball game and we had deer tamales and ribs for dinner. Oh, and for a laugh I bought and brought a funnel. I don?t think anybody had funneled a beer in a decade....

https://s26.postimg.cc/rvgjqg0kp/18_BBAC0_C-_A617-4450-_BEF6-84_F61_A4_E08_B5.jpg

https://s26.postimg.cc/934omvbw9/8_DBC3_F99-_D029-48_C3-_B1_B3-59_E14_F1_ED9_EE.jpg

https://s26.postimg.cc/yuvzc07nd/078751_FB-_AE94-4_DC0-_BDE3-_FB70543321_A8.jpg

Saturday the wind was better and we had tide but I could not find fish. I covered from our camp West toward Bayou Laurier and didn?t see a single red. Part of the plan was getting to the bayou because it could hold trout but the further we got West, the dirtier the water got. I guess that 2-3 days of west wind muddied up the marsh pretty bad. So we decided to head back in at 9, grab a bite, and reboot. The water was better right at the camp so I decided to go East this time toward the water tower which is in the direction of Caminada pass which was bringing in cleaner water. We all fished that way and nobody limited but we all caught slot reds, drum, stingrays, etc... Wasn?t fast a furious but we caught. In hindsight if we all focused our efforts that direction from the jump I think someone would have got a limit. First pic is a spot where a dolphin swam right up to me.

https://s26.postimg.cc/b8zwjxq15/C250_F450-9_DF9-4_D6_B-9608-41_DD2_F21_CA10.jpg

This pic you can see how much greener the water is and those pics where taken maybe 2 miles from each other. This red was so deep in the mangroves I heard him coming out and I thought it was a bird walking out of the bushes. Then I see him slither out and he ate my bait.

https://s26.postimg.cc/hmozn72mx/5_E3_F05_C2-6_F71-460_A-82_DB-_F4_A899_FC6079.jpg

We had a competition where we bought bottles of whiskey and the biggest red took all so I came home with some bourbon. Saturday night we really let our hair down since no fishing Sunday morning. A cpl buddies ended up doing the electric slide with the neighbors, the funnel was used again, and somebody puked off the balcony... The things that happen when your crew gets together.

**Last note: If you?re in to kayak fishing, I cannot recommend a better place to go than renting a camp across from Elmer?s. Fish right behind the camps and the surf is across the street if you get the right weather. It was $600ish for the weekend so it?s cheap for a group.**

FISHDAWG
05-23-2018, 07:55 AM
sounds like a great weekend Beast ... I wished I knew more and was better equipped for inshore fishing because I know I'm missing out on some fun action ... love a fish camp and the po'boys and beer alone look like it's worth the drive .... I'm putting a new engine in my boat so I'm down on all fronts right now but appreciate your pics and reports

parabrave
05-23-2018, 10:57 AM
Shitty to have bad weather ruin a deepsea trip. Good thing about GI is at least thy have the marsh there if you can't get out to the Lumps.

BeastMan
05-23-2018, 11:40 AM
Shitty to have bad weather ruin a deepsea trip. Good thing about GI is at least thy have the marsh there if you can't get out to the Lumps.

Absolutely. Friday the wind was blowing like crazy from the west and fishing even in-shore from anything less than a huge bay boat was very challenging. I paddled maybe a tenth of a mile from our camp, anchored in a little cove, and fan casted the area and caught 2 nice reds in 2 hours. And that's in filthy water that's choppy as hell. You just can't do that everywhere. That sustained west wind for 3 days really muddied up the area I wanted to fish Saturday for trout and reds and when we pushed more east to the cleaner influx of water from the pass we caught some fish. That's the really beautiful thing about South La. Regardless of what the conditions give you, you can usually catch something somewhere.

SpeckleDawg
05-23-2018, 03:18 PM
That's the really beautiful thing about South La. Regardless of what the conditions give you, you can usually catch something somewhere.

This. Plus, you will usually have a good time, regardless of the catching or not.

Looks like yall had a great weekend. I was supposed to head down a few weeks ago to bowfish, but had work get in the way. Haven't fished LA yet this year.

parabrave
05-23-2018, 11:28 PM
Last time I went to fish GI Me and my Bro in law caught an 60 lb Amberjack. 70 lb WAHOOOOOO, couple of blackfins and almost a big dam hammerhead that came out of nowhere to snag his amberjack while I was gaffing it. Talking bout surprise surprise; scared the sh*( out of me. And of course a bunch of kings and barracuddas. Used the kings as cut bait.