PDA

View Full Version : MSU ranked 25th in new baseball America poll. This is. Quite an accomplishment

99jc
05-21-2018, 08:21 AM
For this team in my opinion. Never would have thought they could make this turn around. We are a very dangerous NCAA tournament team.

Bully13
05-21-2018, 08:33 AM
For this team in my opinion. Never would have thought they could make this turn around. We are a very dangerous NCAA tournament team.

Start the season getting swept by Southern, start the SEC 2-7 then finish with a shitload of top 10 team wins and finish with a sweep of UF. Now RANKED 25 with a RPI hovering in the same range. .500 in the SEC.

How are we an "almost" lock for the field of 64? Not getting that.

sleepy dawg
05-21-2018, 09:21 AM
Start the season getting swept by Southern, start the SEC 2-7 then finish with a shitload of top 10 team wins and finish with a sweep of UF. Now RANKED 25 with a RPI hovering in the same range. .500 in the SEC.

How are we an "almost" lock for the field of 64? Not getting that.

Well, as long as there is a committee, you're never a lock. LSU has been left out with a higher RPI and better ranking. We absolutely deserve to go though, no matter what happens. I'm a believer that the entire season should count the same when considering who makes postseason; I'm not advocating we get in based on how we finished. If you look at our total body of work, it should be good enough no matter what.

Bully13
05-21-2018, 09:29 AM
Well, as long as there is a committee, you're never a lock. LSU has been left out with a higher RPI and better ranking. We absolutely deserve to go though, no matter what happens. I'm a believer that the entire season should count the same when considering who makes postseason; I'm not advocating we get in based on how we finished. If you look at our total body of work, it should be good enough no matter what.

LSU was left out with a higher RPI than 26th and Baseball America ranking of 25? When? Was that before the field expanded?

msstate7
05-21-2018, 10:16 AM

8 future MLB starters**

Jack Lambert
05-21-2018, 10:23 AM
Everyone was joking about them being short. I noticed that Florida had some shorties.

Todd4State
05-21-2018, 10:52 AM
LSU was left out with a higher RPI than 26th and Baseball America ranking of 25? When? Was that before the field expanded?

I believe that was before the SEC Tournament field expanded from 8 to 12.

05-21-2018, 10:53 AM
Not sure why people keep saying that, our road record is 8-16, we lost every road series except Alabama, and that one was close

We aren't winning a regional at someone else's field

Dawgology
05-21-2018, 10:56 AM
Not sure why people keep saying that, our road record is 8-16, we lost every road series except Alabama, and that one was close

We will also never sweep Florida.

Todd4State
05-21-2018, 10:56 AM

Winning on the road in the SEC is much different than on the road OOC.

05-21-2018, 11:05 AM
We will also never sweep Florida.
SMH

Look at the context

We beat Arkansas, Ole Miss, Florida at home, that's great, but guess what? WE HAVE TO GO ON THE ROAD FOR A REGIONAL

If we were hosting a regional, I'd give us a good shot to win it

Think more before posting

05-21-2018, 11:06 AM
Winning on the road in the SEC is much different than on the road OOC.

Ah yes, we fared much better in Hattiesburg, Corpus Christi, Lake Charles, Thibodaux, and Memphis, hahaha

Those aren't even regional hosts

99jc
05-21-2018, 11:21 AM
8 future MLB starters**

along with our 5-6 NBA Players about to be drafted.

Bully13
05-21-2018, 11:31 AM
SMH

Look at the context

We beat Arkansas, Ole Miss, Florida at home, that's great, but guess what? WE HAVE TO GO ON THE ROAD FOR A REGIONAL

If we were hosting a regional, I'd give us a good shot to win it

Think more before posting

This team is night and day different right now than we were earlier in the year.

preachermatt83
05-21-2018, 11:48 AM
Geatreau deserves a ton of credit. That guy has done a fantastic job. Everyone is talking about henderson.. the only thing henderson did was on April 1 he finally turned the offense completely over to Geatreau. That's when everything began to turn around.

basedog
05-21-2018, 11:51 AM
Geatreau deserves a ton of credit. That guy has done a fantastic job. Everyone is talking about henderson.. the only thing henderson did was on April 1 he finally turned the offense completely over to Geatreau. That's when everything began to turn around.

Wrong, he has had the offense the whole time. He also is involved in the lineup.

Cooterpoot
05-21-2018, 11:53 AM
We lack pitching to make a run. A losers bracket would be the end of us. I mean, people are losing their minds because we beat FL (who sat their ace) just like when we beat AR and OM. This team has been up and down all year. I guess people forgot we lost 2 of 3 last week at KY.
The team is doing well but let's not act like they're set up to win the whole thing and are tearing through the SEC.

05-21-2018, 11:56 AM
We lack pitching to make a run. A losers bracket would be the end of us. I mean, people are losing their minds because we beat FL (who sat their ace) just like when we beat AR and OM. This team has been up and down all year. I guess people forgot we lost 2 of 3 last week at KY.
The team is doing well but let's not act like they're set up to win the whole thing and are tearing through the SEC.

Yep, and not sure if Tommy John or Gary Henderson is to blame, but either way, we just don't have the top line pitching to do anything

Never know though, could see a miracle like the Hattiesburg regional last year, but doubtful, our hitting was so much better last year

yjnkdawg
05-21-2018, 12:10 PM
Wrong, he has had the offense the whole time. He also is involved in the lineup.

So the so-called coaches on here blaming Henderson for everything prior to a game and during a game, didn't even know which coach did what concerning our team. Imagine that! Let's start a so-called Game Thread and criticize, and second guess our keyboard coaches . Our season would have been much better if we would have had different keyboard coaches, calling the shots. LOL

preachermatt83
05-21-2018, 12:32 PM

He took over the offense completely on April 1st. He had input before but took full control on April 1. Atleast that's what Jake told me.

HoopsDawg
05-21-2018, 01:26 PM

Our bats are hot at the right time. We have 2 good lefty starters. And now with Self back our pen is stronger. That's why we are dangerous. Nothing that happened 2 months ago matters now...at all.

Commercecomet24
05-21-2018, 01:27 PM
Our bats are hot at the right time. We have 2 good lefty starters. And now with Self back our pen is stronger. That's why we are dangerous. Nothing that happened 2 months ago matters now at all.

This. Exactly.

Jack Lambert
05-21-2018, 01:51 PM

They started their Saturday starter Saturday and we got four in the 1st on him. Our hitting is getting in high swing.

Todd4State
05-22-2018, 12:21 AM
Ah yes, we fared much better in Hattiesburg, Corpus Christi, Lake Charles, Thibodaux, and Memphis, hahaha

Those aren't even regional hosts

Apples and oranges managing a midweek game vs a regional. We don't throw our weekend guys midweek other then the bullpen guys.

We all know what happened at USM and why that happened like it did.

We did fairly well in the Corpus Christi Tournament so not sure what your point there is.

The most regional like situation we faced were the two preseason tournaments. We went 2-1 in one and then 3-0 in the other more difficult one.

Commercecomet24
05-22-2018, 12:26 AM
Apples and oranges managing a midweek game vs a regional. We don't throw our weekend guys midweek other then the bullpen guys.

We all know what happened at USM and why that happened like it did.

We did fairly well in the Corpus Christi Tournament so not sure what your point there is.

The most regional like situation we faced were the two preseason tournaments. We went 2-1 in one and then 3-0 in the other more difficult one.

Great assessment.

Pit Bull
05-22-2018, 06:45 AM

Like everybody here says.......HENDERSONING!

sleepy dawg
05-22-2018, 09:16 AM
I believe that was before the SEC Tournament field expanded from 8 to 12.

It was 2011. LSU had a 22 RPI at the time of selection. It looks like they were not ranked in coaches poll, but not sure about others. I thought I remembered them being ranked top 25 too. They were 12-3 in their last 15 games, so they finished strong.

The committee claimed it was b/c they didn't make the SEC tournament, but the committee had taken teams left out before. The reality is, the committee will take who the committee wants to take and choose the reason why after. If you try hard enough, you can come up with a reason for any school to be left out, but that doesn't mean it was a good reason.

If you would leave out a 22 RPI team and take a team in the upper 40s then how can you justify RPI is even worth using at all? It's either a good system and you take who it says within a few spots, or you find a better more consistent system. I just don't see how you can justify skipping over 20 spots in RPI for an at large bid and still justify using RPI.