PDA

View Full Version : Ladies have to beat 'Zona twice tonight

BulldogBear
05-20-2018, 06:53 PM
3-3 after 2 innings played. We're hanging in there.

ESPN having technical issues so there's no stream as of yet.

Post any updates here if you can.

BulldogBear
05-20-2018, 06:57 PM
Arizona got two on base in T3 but failed to get any home. Still 3-3 mid 3rd.

shoeless joe
05-20-2018, 07:00 PM
No tv?

MSSTATESEEYA
05-20-2018, 07:03 PM
Why is it not televised?

TXDawg
05-20-2018, 07:16 PM
What channel is it supposed to be on? hailstate.com shows SECN, but they’re showing Florida instead.

CadaverDawg
05-20-2018, 07:17 PM
We ain't beating em once, much less twice.

(Worked for the baseball series)

BulldogBear
05-20-2018, 07:19 PM
Still 3-3 after four.

There is some kind of foul up with ESPN stream. Supposedly they're working on it.

BulldogBear
05-20-2018, 07:33 PM
End of 5. Rainbow Cats up 4-3. Back on TV now but only ESPN app and ESPN3.

MetEdDawg
05-20-2018, 07:46 PM
Team has played hard but this girl for Arizona is mowing us down. We jumped all over the starter but once they made this switch we haven't gotten anyone on base.

MetEdDawg
05-20-2018, 08:06 PM
Ballgame. Arizona wins 4-3

mparkerfd20
05-20-2018, 08:07 PM
Hey Cohen, how about getting us a new softball coach too?

msu15
05-20-2018, 09:32 PM
Hey Cohen, how about getting us a new softball coach too?

That's a bit of an overreaction

CadaverDawg
05-20-2018, 10:42 PM
Vann's contract just needs restructuring to be incentivized to maintain an upward trajectory. This would be a way to possibly cut her pay if she underachieves going forward, while paying her more if she takes the next steps. Win/win. Firing her would just mean taking money from one of our popular sports to overpay for a better coach. I don't think she's bad, but she's going to have to pick it up a notch to compete in the SEC. Give her a kick in the butt by making her contract one where every game pays or takes away.

Howboutdemdogs
05-21-2018, 05:49 AM
Good season girls. I am torn about Vann. She had her good and bad moments. I wish we can get to a higher level, but the SEC is brutal. We got the facilities now, so match them with a team.

MetEdDawg
05-21-2018, 06:09 AM
We signed 2 Top 15 players for 2018 and 5 Top 100 players for 2019 and that class is currently ranked #7. Crazy thing is that 5 of the 6 teams in front of us are from the SEC.

Vann is going to get her chance because she's not underachieving. We are getting better and Vann is recruiting better. As long as we are making regionals Vann will stay because that's literally as good as we've ever done in softball.

mparkerfd20
05-21-2018, 06:44 AM

This game had zero to do with that opinion. I've wanted a new softball coach for years.

Quaoarsking
05-21-2018, 06:54 AM
Firing Vann would be like Vanderbilt firing a football coach who had them bowling 6 times in 7 years, but never a better bowl than the Music City.

MetEdDawg
05-21-2018, 07:28 AM
Firing Vann would be like Vanderbilt firing a football coach who had them bowling 6 times in 7 years, but never a better bowl than the Music City.

Exactly. We aren't equipped to compete in softball right now. We are getting there though. And Vann won 2 regional games this year and put the team in the regional finals. First time we've done that under her so that's tangible improvement.

Softball is gonna take time. The rest of the SEC was way ahead of us. Vann has closed the gap and improved recruiting. We are making the strides. But the rest of the SEC was way ahead. It takes time to build that foundation and we are doing it. Having the freshman of the year in conference is a start for sure.

notsofarawaydawg
05-21-2018, 08:23 AM

No, he's spot on. She's had her chances and failed every year in regionals. She needs to be shown the door this year.

MetEdDawg
05-21-2018, 08:36 AM
No, he's spot on. She's had her chances and failed every year in regionals. She needs to be shown the door this year.

In what year were we a team capable of being in the Super Regionals? None. Zero. And that's not her fault because we've NEVER in our programs history had a team that was capable. None of Vann's teams should have made it past the regionals. None. So she's never underachieved except the one year we didn't make it 2 years ago.

We just assume because baseball is good that softball should be that good. They aren't and they won't be for a while. I just don't understand how our fan base gets these unrealistic expectations on programs. Hey the rest of the SEC is good and we aren't quite as good. FIRE THE COACH!! We rarely look deeper into the issue and figure out why we aren't good.

This isn't hard people. Softball is like women's basketball. The better team win 95% of the time. And we've never had the better team and lost. We are getting better as was shown by our appearance in the regional semifinals against an Arizona program that has been in the regionals 32 straight years. But let's continue to overreact because we went 2-2 in the NCAA Tournament with a team that should have gone 2-2.

msu15
05-21-2018, 08:56 AM

Who would you want to replace her?

Cooterpoot
05-21-2018, 09:13 AM
Just off the top of my head:

Dot Richardson
Mike Lotief
Matt Lisle (not sure on him yet though)
Jimmy Kolaitis
Jennifer Rocha

But we aren't going to fire Vann this year. I suspect she's got 2 more years to make a super.