PDA

View Full Version : We just blew a 5 point lead in the 5th in an elimination game (softball)

BulldogBear
05-19-2018, 08:45 PM
We seem to have just two pitchers and they're both seniors. What the heck are we gonna do? We can't afford a drop off season. We may be a top 35 program but that's still 10th or 11th AT BEST in the SEC. We've been passed by Arkansas and Ole Miss both who stunk 2 years ago. Throw in USCe as well.
Everyone but us seems to be trending up. It's like we haven't moved forward at all.

maroonmania
05-19-2018, 08:56 PM
Well our pitching sucks right now anyway. We are back up 8-5 now but 5 runs is a pretty good bit in softball and we've now given up 5 runs against both the 3 and 4 seed in the regional.

BulldogBear
05-19-2018, 08:57 PM
Niu just jacked a 2 out 3 run Homer that hopefully bails us out and now two more two out hits and another run. We're up 9-5. Hope we can hold it.

BulldogBear
05-19-2018, 08:57 PM
Wow! A 2 run home by Carter! 11-5 Doggies now!

CadaverDawg
05-19-2018, 09:50 PM
Fire Vann, she stinks.

BulldogBear
05-19-2018, 10:18 PM
Well, we won that one.

Game 2 we've put up 6 runs in the top of the 1st...all with 2 outs. So of course I feel like a donkey.

But with that said, overall, in the big picture, I feel like we're just not ever having all the pieces. With all due love and respect to our ladies, it felt like for a couple of years the only SEC calibre hitter we had was Seitz. Now we can't seem to get elite pitching. Our players are good. Don't get me wrong, we probably have a top 35 programs, perhaps even top 30. It's harder for us to see it because the SEC has so many elite programs. But anyway, elite is what we are lacking. We haven't had many elite players and therefore we are not elite.

BulldogBear
05-19-2018, 10:38 PM
8-0 MSU leading after 2 innings played.

I love watching a perfectly executed squeeze.

MetEdDawg
05-19-2018, 10:57 PM
I'm giving Vann more leash than most on here. We've never really been good in softball. Like ever. And when you have the smallest budget in the SEC, sports like volleyball and softball are going to be hard to compete in.

I know we all wish she had done more so far, but this program has never been to a Super Regional in its history. Got to be realistic about the expectations for this program. We ended the season #26 in the country. We are slowly gaining some momentum here and return 5 or 6 starters from this current team. I'm alright with where we are at because realistically this program has never had real expectations. We've gotten to the NCAA Tournament all but one year under Vann. Would like to get to a Super every so often but being a 2 seed in the tournament and making regional finals is showing some progress.

BulldogBear
05-19-2018, 11:24 PM
I'm giving Vann more leash than most on here. We've never really been good in softball. Like ever. And when you have the smallest budget in the SEC, sports like volleyball and softball are going to be hard to compete in.

I know we all wish she had done more so far, but this program has never been to a Super Regional in its history. Got to be realistic about the expectations for this program. We ended the season #26 in the country. We are slowly gaining some momentum here and return 5 or 6 starters from this current team. I'm alright with where we are at because realistically this program has never had real expectations. We've gotten to the NCAA Tournament all but one year under Vann. Would like to get to a Super every so often but being a 2 seed in the tournament and making regional finals is showing some progress.

I do get that. I'm complaining but not calling for Vann's head. It just feels like we're more or less right where we were four years ago.

Update on the game:

Bulldogs tack on 4 runs in T5, taking a 12-0 lead. So, NDSU will have to plate 5 in B5 or its over!

MetEdDawg
05-19-2018, 11:42 PM
I do get that. I'm complaining but not calling for Vann's head. It just feels like we're more or less right where we were four years ago.

Update on the game:

Bulldogs tack on 4 runs in T5, taking a 12-0 lead. So, NDSU will have to plate 5 in B5 or its over!

Well my comment wasn't specifically directed at you but it sounds like we have a lot of the fan base ready for Vann to go. We've got two things working against us.

1) The state of MS is bad in high school non revenue sports.
2) We don't have the budget to compete consistently in non revenue sports, especially female sports.

If the university brought in $10-20 million more per year for athletics, we might be able to. But until then, we are limited in sports like volleyball, soccer, softball, tennis, and track. And we don't even have swimming (us and Ole Miss are the only SEC schools without swimming). So I usually temper my expectations in those sports given how much program revenue drives success in those sports.

But a good win for the ladies tonight. I believe the first time under Vann they've made it to a regional finals. Progress.