PDA

View Full Version : Why did we waste Jordan Anderson this year?

mparkerfd20
05-18-2018, 07:30 AM
From the projections and his PG ranking he was one of our top signees last year. He was something like a Top 35 overall high school player if I remember correctly. I know he pinch ran last night so I'm guessing he didn't redshirt. With all the young talent we've had this year and some of the upper class guys not being able to hit above the Mendoza line (I'm looking at you LA) surely we could have found a spot for him instead of burning a year.

Todd, or anyone have the story on him?

Todd4State
05-18-2018, 07:46 AM
Why did we waste him this year?

Only one answer- Hendersoning.

Bully13
05-18-2018, 07:51 AM
From the projections and his PG ranking he was one of our top signees last year. He was something like a Top 35 overall high school player if I remember correctly. I know he pinch ran last night so I'm guessing he didn't redshirt. With all the young talent we've had this year and some of the upper class guys not being able to hit above the Mendoza line (I'm looking at you LA) surely we could have found a spot for him instead of burning a year.

If he was a top 35, what round was he drafted in?

cujo
05-18-2018, 07:52 AM
Why did we waste him this year?

Only one answer- Hendersoning.

Nm

Bully13
05-18-2018, 07:57 AM
Nm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once you set foot on the field for one play in college, are you bound to college for 3 years before you can sign with MLB? (if true, that rule needs to be changed as well for obvious reasons)

Todd4State
05-18-2018, 08:07 AM
If he was a top 35, what round was he drafted in?

He was a top 100 prospect that got injured in high school. He's exhibit A of why we take a chance on highly rated guys like that.

Todd4State
05-18-2018, 08:09 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but once you set foot on the field for one play in college, are you bound to college for 3 years before you can sign with MLB? (if true, that rule needs to be changed as well for obvious reasons)

Depends on your age too. If you turn 21 you can be drafted after your sophomore year like Mangum last year or Ginn if he comes to MSU. Benittendi from Arkansas and now with the Red Sox is another example too as is Ryan Rolison at Ole Miss.

Bully13
05-18-2018, 08:33 AM
Depends on your age too. If you turn 21 you can be drafted after your sophomore year like Mangum last year or Ginn if he comes to MSU. Benittendi from Arkansas and now with the Red Sox is another example too as is Ryan Rolison at Ole Miss.

Who enforces that rule? MLB ?

05-18-2018, 09:08 AM
If you asked him I guarantee you he'd tell you he's happier getting on the field the small amount he did this year, rather than be redshirted

Plus, he's project-able, so he'll likely get drafted after his junior year anyway, even if that's the only year he starts

Cooterpoot
05-18-2018, 09:16 AM
He had a strong fall is what makes it so strange. I know some have said he's had some struggles hitting but it's a weird situation. Maybe he chose to play limited time rather than redshirt thinking he'd eventually win a spot.

Todd4State
05-18-2018, 09:49 AM
He had a strong fall is what makes it so strange. I know some have said he's had some struggles hitting but it's a weird situation. Maybe he chose to play limited time rather than redshirt thinking he'd eventually win a spot.

Henderson did the same thing with Westburg for awhile too.

Todd4State
05-18-2018, 09:49 AM
Who enforces that rule? MLB ?

Yes.

MarketingBully
05-18-2018, 09:50 AM

Henderson. It’s Henderson. He’ll start next year with one of the coaches we get. We could of at least DHed him if Henderson wasn’t going to put him in the outfield. Hell with some consistent at bats over the course of the season, he could be one of our better hitters in the lineup right now. As we have said over and over, Henderson has made one dumb ass decision after another.

MarketingBully
05-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Henderson did the same thing with Westburg for awhile too.

Shit with the slump Alexander has been in, you could literally have started Westburg at shortstop, put Foscue at third, and played Anderson at DH and have a better team overall right now. I think Alexander has 3 hits in his last 10 games right now. He’s in a hell of a slump at the plate and his defense isn’t that good that you can’t put Westburg out there at short to cover it.

I seen it dawg
05-18-2018, 10:08 AM
Shit with the slump Alexander has been in, you could literally have started Westburg at shortstop, put Foscue at third, and played Anderson at DH and have a better team overall right now. I think Alexander has 3 hits in his last 10 games right now. He’s in a hell of a slump at the plate and his defense isn’t that good that you can’t put Westburg out there at short to cover it.

Whoa...feathers ruffled in 3,2,1

Bulldog1
05-18-2018, 10:09 AM

Rep given. This is true.

KOdawg1
05-18-2018, 10:14 AM
I'm assuming Anderson will be our CF when Mangum leaves?

KOdawg1
05-18-2018, 10:15 AM

Wow. So true.

HoopsDawg
05-18-2018, 10:29 AM

Luke is hitting .191 in conference play so it's certainly reasonable to think that Jordan Anderson would have hit a higher clip. The question is what is the difference between LA's defensive ability and Westburg's. Can't answer that one unless you have been at practice everyday. Luke's made 7 errors this year. Westburg was ranked the 3rd best SS in Texas and 44th best SS in the entire 2017 class.

Tbonewannabe
05-18-2018, 11:05 AM

I think it is once you attend class in college then you can't sign with MLB until after your 3rd year in college or you turn 21, whichever comes first. You can go to Juco for your sophomore year and then get drafted.

Tbonewannabe
05-18-2018, 11:11 AM
Whoa...feathers ruffled in 3,2,1

Not sure if anyone disagrees with this. At this point, I would only play Luke against UM. Luke and Vansau are both head scratchers. I would have thought after last year that Vansau would hold down either an outfield spot or DH and the guy is hitting about like I would and Luke isn't any better but at a premium defensive position. At least with freshmen, you kind of assume they will get better throughout the year. Luke has steadily gotten worse. I thought he would be a .260-.280 type of hitter with a little pop but apparently not. I think the best you can expect is around .250 if he comes back next year.

The Federalist Engineer
05-18-2018, 01:08 PM

All those Tanner Poole at bats and strikeouts could have been development time for Anderson. Total disaster.

Look at the development curve for Rowdey Jordan, from barely hitting 200 in the 8-hole to being freshman all-SEC/all-american in the 2-hole.

Bully13
05-18-2018, 01:13 PM
Yes.

Then I think they should change that rule. And it is obvious as to why they do. They want to pressure the guys to sign now and forgo college. I'd hate to be a H.S. baseball player with a MLB team dangling a $500K carrot in my face but if I choose not to take it, I'll have to wait 3 years for the carrot. How many players have their lives negatively affected by this rule? How many kids end up wasting up to 7 years of their lives by this rule? Time spent toiling around in the minors could have been spent by spending 1, 2 or 3 years in College getting a degree. Leave after 2 years of college for the minors? Fine, spend a few years in the minors, if it doesn't work out, go back to school and finish your degree. And why would MLB object to this? Do they not have enough confidence in the top college programs across the country regarding player development? Are they worried that the initial $500K carrot may blossom into a $2M one?

In order for MLB to make changes on this, I would imagine the player would have to give the particular MLB team that drafted him some type of preferential rights once the player decides to leave school and sign a contract with a MLB team. But it would be much better for the youngsters fresh out of high school regarding their decision making process. And MLB would get some "free player development" out of it.. This is why I still contend that College Baseball is the most important for player's lives in all of College Sports.

Tbonewannabe
05-18-2018, 01:21 PM
Then I think they should change that rule. And it is obvious as to why they do. They want to pressure the guys to sign now and forgo college. I'd hate to be a H.S. baseball player with a MLB team dangling a $500K carrot in my face but if I choose not to take it, I'll have to wait 3 years for the carrot. How many players have their lives negatively affected by this rule? How many kids end up wasting up to 7 years of their lives by this rule? Time spent toiling around in the minors could have been spent by spending 1, 2 or 3 years in College getting a degree. Leave after 2 years of college for the minors? Fine, spend a few years in the minors, if it doesn't work out, go back to school and finish your degree. And why would MLB object to this? Do they not have enough confidence in the top college programs across the country regarding player development? Are they worried that the initial $500K carrot may blossom into a $2M one?

In order for MLB to make changes on this, I would imagine the player would have to give the particular MLB team that drafted him some type of preferential rights once the player decides to leave school and sign a contract with a MLB team. But it would be much better for the youngsters fresh out of high school regarding their decision making process. And MLB would get some "free player development" out of it.. This is why I still contend that College Baseball is the most important for player's lives in all of College Sports.

It is shaking out now that unless you are a pretty high MLB draft pick then you are a lot more likely to make it to the big show if you go through college first. It is around 60% of MLB guys that have played college ball. The other 40% have a good bit of international players that are mixed in.

It would be interesting to see how likely American born high school picks make it through the minors compared to college players. Most college players have a lot better time than someone in the minors. Also, teams prioritize higher picks because there is a lot more money invested in that player. If 2 guys are hitting roughly the same then the guy drafted in the first round will probably get promoted over the 20th round guy if everything is pretty much equal.

I seen it dawg
05-18-2018, 03:25 PM
Not sure if anyone disagrees with this. At this point, I would only play Luke against UM. Luke and Vansau are both head scratchers. I would have thought after last year that Vansau would hold down either an outfield spot or DH and the guy is hitting about like I would and Luke isn't any better but at a premium defensive position. At least with freshmen, you kind of assume they will get better throughout the year. Luke has steadily gotten worse. I thought he would be a .260-.280 type of hitter with a little pop but apparently not. I think the best you can expect is around .250 if he comes back next year.

Yeah prob some or one does

Pit Bull
05-18-2018, 05:28 PM

See......Ethan Small. Same reason basically. If you are that good, you're going to go by your junior year regardless of whether you redshirt or are injured. Might as well play Jordan. Maybe Hendy found out late that Jordan wasn't going to stay past his junior year.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-19-2018, 09:30 AM
You can get drafted:

1. Out of high school
2. After ANY year of JUCO
3. After 3 years of college
4. After you turn 21

Mangum was eligible after 2 years of college because he was 21. Bryce Harper dropped out of high school after his sophomore year and took his GED. Then spent what would have been his high school junior year at a JUCO. Then was drafted after one year of JUCO. So he was basically drafted one year earlier than his senior year of high school.