PDA

View Full Version : The one thing I hope to never see under JoMo

Coach007
05-17-2018, 10:53 PM
Watching all of these games from last year, the one thing I hope I never see.

- End of a half knees or not attempting to stretch a lead. TAMU game We had like 1:45 left in the 3rd and ran it up the middle to 3 times to end the half.

- Protecting narrow leads rather than attacking....

Mullen did too much of that.

Todd4State
05-18-2018, 12:10 AM
I agree.

Also- way too much playing upperclassmen that are not as talented over underclassmen.

Pit Bull
05-18-2018, 12:32 AM
I and a very good friend of mine who played baseball at Penn State were discussing the basketball whooping they laid on us at the NIT........told me Penn State didn't really care much about basketball, but that they did have access to great fertile basketball recruiting in the Philadelphia area. He did say he thought the Memphis area produced more high level basketball talent. He also told me that us (MSU) taking JOMO from them bothered a lot of PSU alum. He was sort of bummed out over that too. They were VERY high on JOMO and he went on to tell me that Joe was a very devout Christian man and had a strong faith. He told me that he likely would never run up the score on an opponent just out of spite. That he was a gentleman, but a basic no nonsense type guy. He said we were very lucky to get him and that he will now be watching our progress to see how Joe does in the deep south especially in the SEC.

Todd4State
05-18-2018, 07:50 AM
I'd actually like to have a coach that would run up the score out of spite on Ole Miss. We've a few opportunities and have never done it.

Bully13
05-18-2018, 07:55 AM
Just Win Baby!

TXDawg
05-18-2018, 08:07 AM
Coach told a story at the Houston Road Dawgs Tour stop regarding UMiss:

He said he was at one of his son's travel baseball games. As he was sitting and watching, he started getting recognized, so a few people came up and shook his hand. At some point, the opposing team recognized him, so they all came over as a group. Each player filed through, shook his hand, etc. The last kid that came up held out his hand as if to shake it, but when Coach reached out, the kid pulled his hand back, flashed him the Landshark sign, and said "Hotty Toddy! Fail State!"

Coach said that in that moment, he realized how deep the rivalry runs. He said he'd heard it from our Administration and alumni, but seeing it in action from an 11-year old like that really drove it home. He was kind of joking about it, but you could tell it rubbed him the wrong way. I don't think he'll have any problem putting it on UMiss when the opportunity arises.

Bully13
05-18-2018, 08:40 AM
Coach told a story at the Houston Road Dawgs Tour stop regarding UMiss:

He said he was at one of his son's travel baseball games. As he was sitting and watching, he started getting recognized, so a few people came up and shook his hand. At some point, the opposing team recognized him, so they all came over as a group. Each player filed through, shook his hand, etc. The last kid that came up held out his hand as if to shake it, but when Coach reached out, the kid pulled his hand back, flashed him the Landshark sign, and said "Hotty Toddy! Fail State!"

Coach said that in that moment, he realized how deep the rivalry runs. He said he'd heard it from our Administration and alumni, but seeing it in action from an 11-year old like that really drove it home. He was kind of joking about it, but you could tell it rubbed him the wrong way. I don't think he'll have any problem putting it on UMiss when the opportunity arises.

Great story . I'm sure the 11 year old kid has great tsun parents.

TrapGame
05-18-2018, 08:48 AM
We should always run the score up on ole miss at every opportunity. I'd love to whoop that ass 70-0 this year.

rolodawg
05-18-2018, 09:13 AM
I just hope to see, if given the opportunity, him give the ball to his play maker when we have the ball at the 2 yard line with LSU on the ropes!

Howboutdemdogs
05-18-2018, 09:20 AM
I guess the 11 YO kid is just another disrespectful Ass Hat in training. Agree with Bully 13, great TSUN parents.

Johnson85
05-18-2018, 09:56 AM
I guess the 11 YO kid is just another disrespectful Ass Hat in training. Agree with Bully 13, great TSUN parents.

That could have been done in good fun. When I heard the story it made it sound like it was.

TUSK
05-18-2018, 10:03 AM
We should always run the score up on ole miss at every opportunity. I'd love to whoop that ass 70-0 this year.

What's really fun is beatin' em that badly without Running Up the Score...

TheRef
05-18-2018, 10:31 AM
What's really fun is beatin' em that badly without Running Up the Score...

I say we do what Les Miles did to them. Drive down the field to the 1, then kneel it 3 times with like 6 minutes left.

TrapGame
05-18-2018, 10:44 AM
I say we do what Les Miles did to them. Drive down the field to the 1, then kneel it 3 times with like 6 minutes left.

That was hilarious. I would get a kick out of that too.

Tbonewannabe
05-18-2018, 11:02 AM
He also said last night that he likes to go for 2 and absolutely hates punting. He likes to take shots downfield because explosive plays are what wins ballgames.

MedDawg
05-18-2018, 11:22 AM

- End of a half knees or not attempting to stretch a lead. TAMU game We had like 1:45 left in the 3rd and ran it up the middle to 3 times to end the half.

That hasn't been the case with Penn State the past two seasons. Two years ago, PSU seemed to always start slowly and fall behind. What was seemingly a season of second half comebacks really started late in the 2nd quarter with TD drives just before halftime. Last season, they didn't have as many slow starts, but still worked hard to score late in the 2nd quarter.

DCdawg
05-18-2018, 11:33 AM
I thought you were going to say khaki shorts**

Tbonewannabe
05-18-2018, 01:30 PM
That hasn't been the case with Penn State the past two seasons. Two years ago, PSU seemed to always start slowly and fall behind. What was seemingly a season of second half comebacks really started late in the 2nd quarter with TD drives just before halftime. Last season, they didn't have as many slow starts, but still worked hard to score late in the 2nd quarter.

You also don't know if Franklin had a hand in how he wanted the offense to work or if he just let Coach JoeMo run it. I am not going to put the work in but Fordham would probably be a better comparison since he was the head guy with total control.

Bully13
05-18-2018, 01:39 PM
Hopefully Fitz and his WR's are doing some extra practicing on the down field stuff on their own time.

HotMop
05-18-2018, 01:45 PM
You're not running up the score before halftime, you're building on a lead and momentum. Scoring when up 21 with 1:35 in the 4th is stretching the lead.

TrapGame
05-18-2018, 01:58 PM
He also said last night that he likes to go for 2 and absolutely hates punting. He likes to take shots downfield because explosive plays are what wins ballgames.

That was Freeze's philosophy but he never had the SEC RB to make it dangerous every game.

Tbonewannabe
05-18-2018, 02:34 PM
That was Freeze's philosophy but he never had the SEC RB to make it dangerous every game.

You just have to look at us in the Bama game last year. Bama had the explosive plays and we didn't. We pretty much won the line of scrimmage on both sides but Bama made the big plays when it counted. They did the same against UGA for the Title.

Coach Moorhead said what decides games is: Explosive plays (runs for 12 yards, passes of 16), Turnovers, Redzone offense and defense. If you win those three things then you more than likely win the game. Looking back at the big games that we might have outplayed some other teams but lost in those three things. Mullen's offense actually wasn't built for explosive plays. He might talk a bunch of crap about getting playmakers the ball but the way it was ran was ball control. We threw short passes that were mostly high percentage for 5-8 yards most of the time. We ran it a lot and grinded it out mostly. That type of offense is good for beating down teams that you are more talented but not so great for the Bamas of the world. The more times you have to perform (10-13 play drives) the more likely you are going to have to punt.

If you look at when UM beat Bama, it was because of big plays and turnovers. Some of the turnovers were fluke plays but it still counts. I think Coach JoeMo gives us a better chance of competing against the high level teams like Bama. He doesn't come across as a guy that will call plays hoping the other team screws up.

TrapGame
05-18-2018, 03:02 PM
You just have to look at us in the Bama game last year. Bama had the explosive plays and we didn't. We pretty much won the line of scrimmage on both sides but Bama made the big plays when it counted. They did the same against UGA for the Title.

Coach Moorhead said what decides games is: Explosive plays (runs for 12 yards, passes of 16), Turnovers, Redzone offense and defense. If you win those three things then you more than likely win the game. Looking back at the big games that we might have outplayed some other teams but lost in those three things. Mullen's offense actually wasn't built for explosive plays. He might talk a bunch of crap about getting playmakers the ball but the way it was ran was ball control. We threw short passes that were mostly high percentage for 5-8 yards most of the time. We ran it a lot and grinded it out mostly. That type of offense is good for beating down teams that you are more talented but not so great for the Bamas of the world. The more times you have to perform (10-13 play drives) the more likely you are going to have to punt.

If you look at when UM beat Bama, it was because of big plays and turnovers. Some of the turnovers were fluke plays but it still counts. I think Coach JoeMo gives us a better chance of competing against the high level teams like Bama. He doesn't come across as a guy that will call plays hoping the other team screws up.

Mullen sucked his balls up his ass in the 4th quarter. We had one shot, just one. And that was the 4th and 2 he decided to punt on. I knew right then and there Mullen threw in the towel. We make that down and a) we take more time off the clock with a lead and/or b) we force Saban to take a timeout to conserve time. I knew our defense was gassed and Ridley was going to get the ball. It was obvious. In this kind of game you go for the 1st down.

JoMo seems like the type of guy that goes balls out every game. 4 and 2 this year with the game on the line he's going for it.

starkvegasdawg
05-18-2018, 04:05 PM
Thought you were going to say your wife.

RocketDawg
05-18-2018, 04:12 PM

And he came close to blowing the LSU game by doing that. Not sure if he did that in the Alabama game last season or not.

Bully13
05-18-2018, 04:26 PM
Letting LSU back into the game once we had what I thought was an insurmountable lead was the biggest load of shit I had seen in a while. That was stupid assed bullshit having to hold my breath on that last play. utter bullshit.

Pit Bull
05-18-2018, 05:00 PM
I remember when Ole Miss fans went ballistic that Bob Tyler beat them 31-13 with Felker as our QB......but a couple years ago, they said hardly nothing when we smoked them 55-20 something in Oxford. Somebody told me that the Tyler beating pissed them off because 1) it was Tyler who did it to them, and 2) we rarely ever beat them in the glory days of Vaught.....nowadays they are used to getting their arse handed to them!!

TUSK
05-18-2018, 05:12 PM

Dead. Nuts. On.

+1

BHildreth3
05-18-2018, 05:26 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that JoMo will score as many points as possible in the Egg. His answer will be, "Hey, we're just running our offense."

msstatelp1
05-18-2018, 05:35 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that JoMo will score as many points as possible in the Egg. His answer will be, "Hey, we're just running our offense."

That's one game where I hope he gives Fitz.the ball and tells him to stop scoring when he gets tired of crossing the goal line.

Liverpooldawg
05-18-2018, 08:52 PM
The one thing I NEVER hope to see is him doing something that this board really wants.