PDA

View Full Version : So with Small and Ginn likely heading to MLB

HoopsDawg
05-16-2018, 09:58 PM
does anyone want to take a stab at our SEC rotation next season? I mean, wow.

Commercecomet24
05-16-2018, 10:10 PM
Ive still got some eligibility left but there ain't much on my fastball anymore lol. In all seriousness it's gonna be interesting. Anyone that can throw gonna get a chance to show what they can do.

msstate7
05-16-2018, 10:11 PM
Better hope ashcraft and breaux are finally healthy. New coach better bring a couple pitchers with him

Commercecomet24
05-16-2018, 10:13 PM
Better hope ashcraft and breaux are finally healthy. New coach better bring a couple pitchers with him

That's what I'm hoping that new coach brings a couple along with him. The kid we just signed from jcjc is pretty dang good. He's gonna help somewhere.

Johnson85
05-17-2018, 08:50 AM
That's what I'm hoping that new coach brings a couple along with him. The kid we just signed from jcjc is pretty dang good. He's gonna help somewhere.

Hard to count on juco guys or freshmen. Seems like it's rare for them to live up to the hype in the first year.

Bully13
05-17-2018, 09:25 AM
Ive still got some eligibility left but there ain't much on my fastball anymore lol. In all seriousness it's gonna be interesting. Anyone that can throw gonna get a chance to show what they can do.

Did you used to play commerce?

Todd4State
05-17-2018, 09:43 AM
Hard to count on juco guys or freshmen. Seems like it's rare for them to live up to the hype in the first year.

Tyler Spring started out at Alabama before going to Jones because of Tommy John. He's a non-traditional JUCO that has a good chance to crack the rotation.

msstate7
05-17-2018, 09:45 AM
Tyler Spring started out at Alabama before going to Jones because of Tommy John. He's a non-traditional JUCO that has a good chance to crack the rotation.

Who are the pitching signees we currently have that are likely to make it campus?

05-17-2018, 10:06 AM
We have to pray that James, Breaux and Ashcraft are finally fully ready to go. That is 3 high level recruits that we've yet to get anything significant. And yes, James is still recovering

McQuary is going to have to rise up. Self is going to have to return to 2017 form. McQuary needs to have a great summer, and Self maybe should take off to rest or something

Hard to really know anything about Marsh, Liebelt or Stephens. They may improve, they may get cut, who knows.

Good Lord, that's literally all we got. You cannot count on Price or Barlow at this point

05-17-2018, 10:07 AM
Great, just what we need, another surgically repaired elbow, don't have enough of those already

ETA: Just read up on this guy. Looks like he did well at JCJC in 2016, signed with Bama, had the surgery in early 2017 before the season, so he's about a 1.25 months out right now, and he's been pitching for JCJC. I don't really like that, would rather him have rested a little more, but honestly he's probably a risk we have to take at this point. We need arms

msstate7
05-17-2018, 10:12 AM
Great, just what we need, another surgically repaired elbow, don't have enough of those already

To be fair, our best pitcher is sporting a surgically repaired elbow

05-17-2018, 10:20 AM
To be fair, our best pitcher is sporting a surgically repaired elbow

True, as is McQuary (like 9th grade), but we've also lost Parker Ford, Paul Young and Noah Hughes. Not a good clip so far with the guys who had it while at MSU, next year will tell that tale

While I would love for Small to come back, I couldn't in good conscience give him that advice if his name gets called, you have to sign

Where is Peyton Plumlee, Trey Jolly and Jacob Barton when you need them hahaha

Bulldog1
05-17-2018, 11:22 AM
Anyone have any info on the commit we got during the week?

Todd4State
05-17-2018, 12:41 PM
Who are the pitching signees we currently have that are likely to make it campus?

Regi Grace, Bryce Brock, Eric Cerentola (going to be good), Sam Knowlton, Brandon Smith ( may hit but I think he pitches) and then we have some JUCO guys. Spring, Keaton Winn (may go pro), JP Elkins, and Colby White.

Todd4State
05-17-2018, 12:42 PM
Anyone have any info on the commit we got during the week?

Anthony Hickman? He's a walk-on from EMCC and is a MIF guy.

Commercecomet24
05-17-2018, 02:47 PM
Did you used to play commerce?

Played and/or coached most of my life.

Commercecomet24
05-17-2018, 02:49 PM

Problem is we are going to have to count on some freshmen and jucos. Tyler Spring from JCJC is really good. He will help us for sure.

Todd4State
05-17-2018, 03:36 PM
Problem is we are going to have to count on some freshmen and jucos. Tyler Spring from JCJC is really good. He will help us for sure.

Or hope that some guys recover from their injuries like Ethan Small has.

Commercecomet24
05-17-2018, 03:37 PM
Or hope that some guys recover from their injuries like Ethan Small has.

Yeah I believe for us to have success on the mound next year it's gonna have to be a combination of all 3.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-17-2018, 04:38 PM
does anyone want to take a stab at our SEC rotation next season? I mean, wow.

How do other schools keep players from going pro?

05-17-2018, 04:42 PM

They don't

Some of you see a few guys from LSU and think that's the way it normally is.....wake up

Todd4State
05-17-2018, 04:50 PM

Most schools don't. Even Vanderbilt, Florida, and LSU lose signees. What we as MSU fans see is what everyone else gets and we see what we don't.

The best way to lessen the impact is to have someone on the staff with scouting connections to identify who is more of a risk. Our tradition gives us a chance with guys like Ginn and even if we don't get them we at least cause a MLB to take a hit in their bonus pool.

Everyone takes some risks and you have to hope that you get 2-3 a year- like we will probably do this year. And then you need Brandon Smith/Landon Jordan/Regi Grace/Hayden Jones types that are going to be good players but may not be immediate impact guys. Then you need a Cody Brown type or two that will be a four year guy that has high character and can lead.

Commercecomet24
05-17-2018, 05:27 PM
Most schools don't. Even Vanderbilt, Florida, and LSU lose signees. What we as MSU fans see is what everyone else gets and we see what we don't.

The best way to lessen the impact is to have someone on the staff with scouting connections to identify who is more of a risk. Our tradition gives us a chance with guys like Ginn and even if we don't get them we at least cause a MLB to take a hit in their bonus pool.

Everyone takes some risks and you have to hope that you get 2-3 a year- like we will probably do this year. And then you need Brandon Smith/Landon Jordan/Regi Grace/Hayden Jones types that are going to be good players but may not be immediate impact guys. Then you need a Cody Brown type or two that will be a four year guy that has high character and can lead.

That pretty much sums it up.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-17-2018, 07:19 PM

Ask Bianco...

05-17-2018, 09:27 PM
Ask Bianco...

Bianco loses a crapton of players to the draft every year

Terrible example

MarketingBully
05-17-2018, 09:42 PM
Is Ginn really going to get his $2-3 mil number? Is a team going to draft him in the first round? That’s what it would take.

Todd4State
05-17-2018, 09:53 PM
Is Ginn really going to get his $2-3 mil number? Is a team going to draft him in the first round? That’s what it would take.

It's very possible.

Commercecomet24
05-17-2018, 09:58 PM

Looks like he will be gone by pick 30 at latest. He shot up some teams boards with his last 2 starts. A month ago he was going in round 2 and didn't appear the money would be what they wanted. Things change.

MarketingBully
05-17-2018, 10:01 PM
It's very possible.

The kid shouldn’t waiver in his number. Hell, if I was him, I’d tell them $3 million. If they agree to that and pick me in the top 15, so be it and I’d go. Otherwise, I’d pitch at MSU for Schloss or McDonnell for two years and be a top five or top overall pick and by my sophomore year be the MVP of the CWS winning MSU team. It’s a no lose situation. He needs to understand he has all the power here and there’s nothing like college baseball. Just saying. :)

MarketingBully
05-17-2018, 10:04 PM
Looks like he will be gone by pick 30 at latest. He shot up some teams boards with his last 2 starts. A month ago he was going in round 2 and didn't appear the money would be what they wanted. Things change.

I get it. It’s life changing money but he should understand he has all the power here. I’d say if you want me draft me in the top 15 otherwise I’m going to MSU. You only get the opportunity to play college baseball once and he can go in the draft in two years. He definitely would be a top 5-10 pick after two years in college.

Todd4State
05-17-2018, 10:05 PM
The kid shouldn’t waiver in his number. Hell, if I was him, I’d tell them $3 million. If they agree to that and pick me in the top 15, so be it and I’d go. Otherwise, I’d pitch at MSU for Schloss or McDonnell for two years and be a top five or top overall pick and by my sophomore year be the MVP of the CWS winning MSU team. It’s a no lose situation. He needs to understand he has all the power here and there’s nothing like college baseball. Just saying. :)

I mean, if the slot he is taken at is 3 million yeah, he absolutely should try to get 3 million. The slot bonus value doesn't drop below 2 million until pick 35. And of course, teams can, will, and do go overslot.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-mlb-draft-bonus-pools-pick-values/c-269930084

Commercecomet24
05-17-2018, 10:28 PM
I get it. It’s life changing money but he should understand he has all the power here. I’d say if you want me draft me in the top 15 otherwise I’m going to MSU. You only get the opportunity to play college baseball once and he can go in the draft in two years. He definitely would be a top 5-10 pick after two years in college.

Mike is a smart guy and he's being advised by literally some of the best if not the best there is in this field. The homework has been done and they know where they stand and what they want to make it work for them.

msbulldog
05-18-2018, 06:48 AM
Thanks Commerce.