PDA

View Full Version : Cohen Talking Baseball Coach on OOB

ShotgunDawg
05-16-2018, 08:32 AM
- Will this position pay 1.5 mil+? "The coaches we are considering make a lot of money. This position will pay at the top of the scale"

- The new coach has multiple CWS experience

- The interest for this job has been above my expectations. We've had interest from Hall of Fame coaches.

- We will not disrupt someone's season by naming coach early.

With the above evidence, it has to be Schlossnagle, McDonnell, Corbin, O'Sullivan, Mike Martin, Maneirie, Tadlock, Dave Van Horn, Pat Casey, or Savage from UCLA. No one else qualifies.

Can't be an assistant because of the pay.

Bulldog1
05-16-2018, 08:37 AM
I'm fully convinced that we're hiring Schloss. This is awesome!

ShotgunDawg
05-16-2018, 08:38 AM
I'm fully convinced that we're hiring Schloss. This is awesome!

That's my guess as well

AROB44
05-16-2018, 08:46 AM
- Will this position pay 1.5 mil+? "The coaches we are considering make a lot of money. This position will pay at the top of the scale"

- The interest for this job has been above my expectations. We've had interest from Hall of Fame coaches.

With the above evidence, it has to be Schlossnagle, McDonnell, Corbin, O'Sullivan, Mike Martin, Maneirie, Tadlock, Dave Van Horn, Pat Casey, or Savage from UCLA. No one else qualifies.

Mike Martin is older than dirt....me too, however.

ShotgunDawg
05-16-2018, 08:50 AM
Mike Martin is older than dirt....me too, however.

Was just throwing out qualifiers due to what Cohen said

msstatelp1
05-16-2018, 08:51 AM
You know you can cross Manierie and O'Sullivan off the list. I'd bet they'd rather go work for Kim Jong Un than work for Cohen.

Cooterpoot
05-16-2018, 08:55 AM
Schloss, McDonnell, or Corbin
Nothing new here. Schloss is the hot name right now. Not sure if it's for real or a smoke screen for McDonnell/Corbin. Cohen is talking a lot, so it's a done deal with one of them.

ShotgunDawg
05-16-2018, 08:57 AM
Kendell Rogers "I think they pay 2 mil and get land one of the three enormous names."

MetEdDawg
05-16-2018, 08:58 AM
You know you can cross Manierie and O'Sullivan off the list. I'd bet they'd rather go work for Kim Jong Un than work for Cohen.

This. I think the reasonable list is Schloss, McDonnell, and Corbin, although I think we would be asked to stay away from Corbin because of cannibalism within the SEC being frowned upon.

I also have to think based on those qualifications that Brian O'Connor from Virginia has to be someone that may be considered or potentially reached out to us. Not sure why his name isn't being mentioned, but he's been to the regionals every single year at Virginia, been to the CWS 4 times, finished runner up once and won the thing once. If we are seriously looking at the best coaches in the country, his name should be on that list.

Cooterpoot
05-16-2018, 09:01 AM
Kendell Rogers "I think they pay 2 mil and get land one of the three enormous names."

Not happening. We aren't paying $2M. Of course, $1.5 isn't far off.

Cooterpoot
05-16-2018, 09:01 AM
This. I think the reasonable list is Schloss, McDonnell, and Corbin. I also have to think based on those qualifications that Brian O'Connor from Virginia has to be someone that may be considered or potentially reached out to us. Not sure why his name isn't being mentioned, but he's been to the regionals every single year at Virginia, been to the CWS 4 times, finished runner up once and won the thing once. If we are seriously looking at the best coaches, his name should be on that list.

He's happy where he's at.

Steakonastick
05-16-2018, 09:05 AM
It’s Sloss Time

Red Sox Dawg
05-16-2018, 09:08 AM
This. I think the reasonable list is Schloss, McDonnell, and Corbin, although I think we would be asked to stay away from Corbin because of cannibalism within the SEC being frowned upon.

I also have to think based on those qualifications that Brian O'Connor from Virginia has to be someone that may be considered or potentially reached out to us. Not sure why his name isn't being mentioned, but he's been to the regionals every single year at Virginia, been to the CWS 4 times, finished runner up once and won the thing once. If we are seriously looking at the best coaches in the country, his name should be on that list.

The SEC didn't frown when Florida hired a sitting AD and a head football coach away from us. Screw the SEC. We will hire who we please.

(I am not complaining about the Florida hires, we are better off with our current staff.)

Just saying...

BuckyIsAB****
05-16-2018, 09:13 AM
But but but none of them would ever come here!!! We dont deserve no better than living with the shoes!! **

smootness
05-16-2018, 09:18 AM
Cohen is very intentionally not trying to lower expectations. It's going to be a huge name.

Todd4State
05-16-2018, 09:23 AM
The four names I hear the most are Schlossnagle, McDonnell, Corbin and though it has been awhile Tadlock.

I think we hire McDonnell myself based on the rumors I have heard and using my intuition but if I'm wrong- and I admit I'm just taking an educated guess- it will be Schlossnagle.

Cohen loves him some Corbin though.

I'll be pleased with any of the four.

Turfdawg67
05-16-2018, 09:25 AM

The University of Florida disagrees...

MetEdDawg
05-16-2018, 09:26 AM
The SEC didn't frown when Florida hired a sitting AD and a head football coach away from us. Screw the SEC. We will hire who we please.

(I am not complaining about the Florida hires, we are better off with our current staff.)

Just saying...

The AD situation I don't think really matters. AD of UF is a significant difference than AD at MSU. I will say that given the names out there and the number of jobs open this past season, I think Mullen staying inside the conference was an outlier. I would be stunned if that happens again in the next 5 years.

Ifyouonlyknew
I expect it to be Schlossnagle

MaroonDawg17
Bo said he has heard we would spend 2 mil if needed, not Kendall Rogers. It won't take 2 mil to get one of the 3 named though.

Kendall did say he believes that we can get McDonnell for around 1.2-1.3 mil or Schloss for 1.5 mil. Didn't hear him say a number for Corbin though. Don't expect he would leave Vandy.

Commercecomet24
05-16-2018, 09:28 AM
Nothing new here. Schloss is the hot name right now. Not sure if it's for real or a smoke screen for McDonnell/Corbin. Cohen is talking a lot, so it's a done deal with one of them.

This. I do believe it's gonna be schloss.

crackerjax
05-16-2018, 09:30 AM

Kendall Rogers on OOB actually said we wouldn't have to pay near 2 million to get any of those three. Around 1.5 mil for Schloss and 1.2-1.3 mil for McDonnell. Also mentioned that neither Schloss nor McDonnell have a buyout right now, and Corbin's is small. He added that he would be shocked if Corbin left Vanderbilt.

smootness
05-16-2018, 09:35 AM
Yeah, Rogers said he's hearing what we're hearing - that it'll be either Schlossnagle or McDonnell. He also said it isn't over.

msstatelp1
05-16-2018, 09:39 AM

Agree about Cohen already having an agreement otherwise I don't think he'd be saying nearly as much.

louisvilledawg
05-16-2018, 10:00 AM
I didn't know TCU has been to CWS the last four years

BankerDog
05-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Tadlock

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2018, 10:10 AM

We already knew... but hearing that just takes it to another level..

http://www.sacbee.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/video-break/8ffa58/picture33690375/alternates/FREE_1140/Australia%20Overgrown%20Sheep

Bully13
05-16-2018, 10:11 AM

O'Connor Rocks but I don't think John Grisham would allow him to go to State.***

Bully13
05-16-2018, 10:14 AM
I''d be interested to know how we went from hiring an assistant (granted Cann was top name assistant) to having all these HC heavyweights showing MSU Love.

preachermatt83
05-16-2018, 10:21 AM
I''d be interested to know how we went from hiring an assistant (granted Cann was top name assistant) to having all these HC heavyweights showing MSU Love.

I think it's the time of year in which it took place.

smootness
05-16-2018, 10:28 AM
I think it's the time of year in which it took place.

I also think Cohen just loved Cann and saw an elite coach who would be here for decades.

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2018, 10:41 AM

I think someone was just wrong and not realizing the respect our program has nationally. Corbin turned us down last time, but that was a horrible time to try and get a sitting head coach during fall ball.

jacksondawg
05-16-2018, 10:46 AM
What would be be pros and cons of each Schloss and McDonnell?

confucius say
05-16-2018, 11:09 AM

Not true. Could be a guy who was an assistant somewhere and had all the cws experience in that role, and has since taken a power 5 head coach job paying lot of money but has not yet reached cws as head coach.

I don't expect that, just saying it would fit the criteria.

smootness
05-16-2018, 11:09 AM

Honestly, I'm pretty sure the pro's and con's of both are about the same. And it's almost entirely pro's. Their careers as HC are remarkably similar. Both took over programs without really any history of success and without much in the way of resources, facilities, etc. And both have won similarly big and consistently. McDonnell has arguably done it with a weaker recruiting base, but I don't think there's much of a difference in the two on paper.

smootness
05-16-2018, 11:10 AM
Not true. Could be a guy who was an assistant somewhere and had all the cws experience in that role, and has since taken a power 5 head coach job paying lot of money but has not yet reached cws as head coach.

Is there anybody who fits that description? Who is a HC making a ton of money that has no CWS experience?

msstate7
05-16-2018, 11:12 AM

Pro for both is same... big time winners

Con for McDonnell... none

Con for schloss.... I have to learn to spell his surname

confucius say
05-16-2018, 11:12 AM
Is there anybody who fits that description? Who is a HC making a ton of money that has no CWS experience?

Not sure. Clemson coach maybe? "A lot" of money can be subjective.

confucius say
05-16-2018, 11:16 AM
Pro for both is same... big time winners

Con for McDonnell... none

Con for schloss.... I have to learn to spell his surname

Potential con: they are both married with long/unorthodox last names and would be working in MSU's athletic dept. LB has a type.

smootness
05-16-2018, 11:20 AM
Not sure. Clemson coach maybe? "A lot" of money can be subjective.

Sure, but a couple points:

1) Monte Lee has been to 2 CWS - both as an assistant at SC in 03-04, a decade and a half ago. I'd be pretty shocked if Cohen went that technical with this. He also makes $400,000/year, which is good but not great.
2) This is a follow-up on that first point. It is clear that Cohen is intentionally not trying to keep expectations reasonable. He is hyping this up purposefully. I am normally one who thinks all the pie-in-the-sky dreams are unlikely and try to be more realistic and cautious about this kind of thing. But Cohen has now, multiple times, hyped this hire. He knows what he's doing. He knows that after all this, if he hired someone with no HC experience in the CWS, who had technically just been a couple times as an assistant, and is making $400,000, he would be destroyed, and rightfully so, by our fans for hyping it up so much, especially mentioning that 'Hall of Fame coaches' have shown interest. He isn't stupid. He knows what he's doing. The fact that he is only helping raise expectations tells me it's somebody much, much better than Monte Lee.

drummerdawg
05-16-2018, 11:21 AM

I'm pretty sure Cohen has said that it would be someone with head coaching experience.

confucius say
05-16-2018, 11:26 AM

1) Monte Lee has been to 2 CWS - both as an assistant at SC in 03-04, a decade and a half ago. I'd be pretty shocked if Cohen went that technical with this. He also makes $400,000/year, which is good but not great.
2) This is a follow-up on that first point. It is clear that Cohen is intentionally not trying to keep expectations reasonable. He is hyping this up purposefully. I am normally one who thinks all the pie-in-the-sky dreams are unlikely and try to be more realistic and cautious about this kind of thing. But Cohen has now, multiple times, hyped this hire. He knows what he's doing. He knows that after all this, if he hired someone with no HC experience in the CWS, who had technically just been a couple times as an assistant, and is making $400,000, he would be destroyed, and rightfully so, by our fans for hyping it up so much, especially mentioning that 'Hall of Fame coaches' have shown interest. He isn't stupid. He knows what he's doing. The fact that he is only helping raise expectations tells me it's somebody much, much better than Monte Lee.

I agree with all of that and think it will be a big name. Just trying to look at all the options that would technically fit the description.

FWIW, Lee has a contract extension and a raise on the table.

confucius say
05-16-2018, 11:29 AM
I'm pretty sure Cohen has said that it would be someone with head coaching experience.

Which is consistent with the scenario I laid out. "has since taken a power 5 head coach job"

msstate7
05-16-2018, 11:30 AM
Potential con: they are both married with long/unorthodox last names and would be working in MSU's athletic dept. LB has a type.

This is a great post

ShotgunDawg
05-16-2018, 11:37 AM

True.

Bulldog1
05-16-2018, 11:37 AM
I'll call Schlossnagle: Schloss, Jim, or CJS.

preachermatt83
05-16-2018, 11:58 AM

Great post. Agree all the way around.

AlSwearengen
05-16-2018, 12:25 PM
Corbin’s age worries me. That brings us to Schloss and McDonnell. If you read enough tcu articles, Schloss feels like he is fighting upstream b/c they are a private school (high cost of attendance) that apparently doesn’t do anything extra in the way of scholarship money for baseball.

I saw engie comment on the other board that McDonnell’s wife didn’t like living in MS (I don’t particularly love it myself so I understand). That is always a worry and I imagine Cohen brings it up with everyone that he talks to. We also need to make sure our coach doesn’t jump ship to LSU (or someplace else) when they are ready to make a hire in the near future.

I keep coming back to Schlossnagle.

msbulldog
05-16-2018, 12:27 PM

One big Pro for McDonnell is the epic, for the ages meltdown that will happen Oxford!

Lord McBuckethead
05-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Cohen is very intentionally not trying to lower expectations. It's going to be a huge name.
Tony LaRussa. jk. maybe.

drummerdawg
05-16-2018, 02:34 PM
One big Pro for McDonnell is the epic, for the ages meltdown that will happen Oxford!

I don't understand this. He has no ties to Mississippi other than being an assistant at om for a few years over 10 years ago. Has he ever said he wanted to be a head coach there one day or something?

Bulldog1
05-16-2018, 05:37 PM
I don't understand this. He has no ties to Mississippi other than being an assistant at om for a few years over 10 years ago. Has he ever said he wanted to be a head coach there one day or something?

I think he's their dream coach.

ShotgunDawg
05-16-2018, 05:47 PM

Contrary to our normal instincts, I don’t have an issue with Ole Miss winning in baseball and actually believe it can push us to be better.

Baseball is different from football because neither us or Ole Miss rely all that heavily on in-state talent, and thus one being good does not threaten the existence of the other, but Ole Miss being good, it allows Mississippi to become what North Carolina is to college basketball or what is to Alabama college football. MSU and Ole Miss competing for championships and continuing to build great programs, can take us both to higher levels.

msbulldog
05-16-2018, 06:04 PM
Contrary to our normal instincts, I don’t have an issue with Ole Miss winning in baseball and actually believe it can push us to be better.

Baseball is different from football because neither us or Ole Miss rely all that heavily on in-state talent, and thus one being good does not threaten the existence of the other, but Ole Miss being good, it allows Mississippi to become what North Carolina is to college basketball or what is to Alabama college football. MSU and Ole Miss competing for championships and continuing to build great programs, can take us both to higher levels.

C'mon Gun, after the crap they've pulled on us, remember in Kang's era , the private eyes and the Madison chick who was laying the NCAA investigator? Remember the Egg bowl and all the dirty plays, which cost us Fitz and could have cost us many others!
We don't need them to be good to bring our program up. They were crap before Bianco and pretty much still are. We blazed the trail for SEC baseball and had national recognition way before they ever got to this point.
I cannot separate sports, I cannot pull for UM.

ejdallas322
05-16-2018, 06:42 PM
When does everyone expect the hire to be announced? Before or after the season ends? I have seen a few baseball coaches being hired during the season.

KOdawg1
05-16-2018, 06:48 PM
When does everyone expect the hire to be announced? Before or after the season ends? I have seen a few baseball coaches being hired during the season.

After the coach's season ends with his current team.

ejdallas322
05-16-2018, 06:49 PM
That makes sense and is respectable unlike what Florida did to us in football.

Pit Bull
05-16-2018, 09:43 PM
For some reason I feel like it's Corbin #1 and McDonnell a very very close#2. Either is fine with me. The SEC is the strongest baseball conference and taking another SEC coach is logical as they know the lay of the land and can compete immediately. i'm ok with Schlossnagle too, but for some reason Big 12 baseball is not quite as tough or dog-eat-dog as the SEC. A coach in the SEC has seen the very best in college baseball. OSullivan would be good, but not sure how that would go down here. Van Horn is an Arkie grad....he aint leavin!

Thick
05-16-2018, 09:54 PM
It’s Corbin.

dickiedawg
05-16-2018, 10:08 PM

A couple of factors, the first being timing. You weren?t going to hire a sitting head coach away from a good situation with 4 months before the season started. This time we?ve got nothing but time.
Secondly, the new stadium is a reality now, which shows our commitment to becoming a premier program. I believe people are blown away by the facility (even though none of the potential coaches have seen it in person).

smootness
05-16-2018, 10:18 PM
Obviously I’d take Corbin and be happy, but if it’s between those 3, he’s the one I want least. He won’t have the financial advantage here that he has there, and even there he’s had issues with consistency.

Bulldog1
05-16-2018, 10:22 PM
Obviously I’d take Corbin and be happy, but if it’s between those 3, he’s the one I want least. He won’t have the financial advantage here that he has there, and even there he’s had issues with consistency.

Absolutely agree.

Todd4State
05-16-2018, 10:34 PM

Corbin is more about his assistants and the fact that he/they can identify talent and get it through the draft so that they can use their endowment advantage.

I think if he became our coach which I don't think will happen anyway- he would be successful here. He would be my fourth choice behind McDonnell, Schloss, and Tadlock but I would be fine with any of them.

A few of our fans act like he just goes up to a prospect and flashes the Vandy education and they just go to Vandy and it isn't that cut and dried.

Todd4State
05-16-2018, 10:38 PM
Contrary to our normal instincts, I don?t have an issue with Ole Miss winning in baseball and actually believe it can push us to be better.

I agree but Ole Miss became good when we started missing out on in state talent. I think for us to continue to be the team in Mississippi we need to continue to get most of the best players in state. And then of course supplement with out of state because we can't just totally live off of Mississippi talent.

That said, I would love to watch Ole Miss crash and burn. The 1990's were fun for me from a baseball standpoint.

KOdawg1
05-16-2018, 10:43 PM
I'd be thrilled with Corbin, but he's behind Schloss and McConnell on my list too. And that's saying something considering he's the only one to have won a national championship out of those three.

dawgs
05-16-2018, 11:03 PM

I mean, if Nick Saban shocked the world and retired tomorrow, there's no chance Alabama would be able to pry a HC like Dabo away from Clemson or smart from uga or Shaw from Stanford or any other successful P5 HC, but if Saban said he was retiring at the end of the 2018 season literally every coach would be in play. Pulling an HC away from a good P5 team after fall practice (or spring practice for the CFB analogy) is just not going to happen, but at the end of the season, it happens all the time.

AlSwearengen
05-16-2018, 11:07 PM
If Schlossnagle and or McDonnell are willing to sign up and we hire Corbin at 10 yrs older, I will be disappointed.

Corbin has already done what we want to do. Schlossnagle, I know is competitive as hell and hungry. McDonnell probably is as well if he is willing to leave Louisville, where they love him.

Todd4State
05-17-2018, 12:27 AM

Our program is better than a lot of our fans give it as far as credit. We've made some questionable decisions in the past but we have been to Omaha at least once every decade since the 1970's and within the past five-six years we have been to the CWS Finals, won the SEC, and been to three SR's in that span including one year where we were a National Seed. We also have more resources and a large fan base which is something that most programs don't have. That's how a program can get past things like lottery and endowment scholarships because there is awareness among the fan base and the program- which is why we are able to give financial aid to bridge the gap even though we don't have a formal name for it. We also have a good presence in pro baseball from front office people like Will Clark, managers like Showalter, current players like Mitch Moreland, and we even have "friends of the program" like Roy Oswalt not to mention people throughout the game like Ron Polk who are respected and associated with MSU. I haven't even talked about the facilities which is a nice addition as well.

Also, this is the first proper and normal coaching search in my fan lifetime as far as baseball goes. We've had some very unusual things because of in house power struggles and timing as far as hires go.

1991- Ron Polk tried to leave. Instead of hiring Augie Garrido we brought Polk back even though he essentially didn't want to be here.
1997- Promoted Pat McMahon because Polk wanted us to. Pat was a good coach but we may have been able to do better with a proper search.
2001- This was really the last time we had a proper search but even that was weird because Polk wanted to come back and LT just let him because it was easy even though we had Paul Manieri practically begging for the job.
2008- Polk went completely nuts and essentially ran off as many candidates as he could to try to force Raffo in. Essentially our options were Cohen and Raffo. Thankfully we chose Cohen who rebuilt us back into what we were in the 1990's but our fanbase was so split there is no way we could have hired someone like a Pat Casey because no one wanted to deal with Polk and the crap Cohen had to deal with. We're pretty lucky that Cohen was one of the better coaches in the country and wanted our job because otherwise we would have had to suffer through a Raffo era which just would have prolonged things and driven our program further into the ground while delaying rebuilding.
2016- Cohen became the AD during the fall which is probably the worst time to try to hire a coach in college baseball. That's the biggest reason why we had to roll the dice on an up and coming assistant and it actually worked out pretty well until he had a scandal due to immaturity. I suspect that in hindsight had we made Henderson the interim last year we would have probably had similar interest in our job. Of course, maybe things turned out for the best because we did go to a SR and Louisville and TCU weren't having the AD issues that they are having now which I do think is a contributing factor in why the interest is so high in our job. Even without those AD issues, I think we would still have high interest but it would just be more people like Tim Tadlock probably.

Had we not had the unusual circumstances and Ron Polk being a sacred cow I think the interest would have been equally as high as it is now.

Todd4State
05-17-2018, 12:31 AM
If Schlossnagle and or McDonnell are willing to sign up and we hire Corbin at 10 yrs older, I will be disappointed.

Corbin has already done what we want to do. Schlossnagle, I know is competitive as hell and hungry. McDonnell probably is as well if he is willing to leave Louisville, where they love him.

The thing about Corbin is Cohen loves him. Cohen tried to hire him in 2016 when we ended up with Cann. I'm not sure how interested Corbin is with us though. He has already said no twice- in 2008 and 2016.

Bully13
05-17-2018, 07:40 AM
The thing about Corbin is Cohen loves him. Cohen tried to hire him in 2016 when we ended up with Cann. I'm not sure how interested Corbin is with us though. He has already said no twice- in 2008 and 2016.

Yea, I wouldn't bet on Corbin. He's set in Nashville with lots of advantages and overwhelming job security. Would blame him if he just wanted to stay put.

smootness
05-17-2018, 08:32 AM
A few of our fans act like he just goes up to a prospect and flashes the Vandy education and they just go to Vandy and it isn't that cut and dried.

That's not what I've said at all.

But the bottom line is, a 100% scholarship is a big deal to these kids when a bunch of them can't get offers like that other places. He can offer that to every single prospect they go after. That is a massive advantage.

Todd4State
05-17-2018, 09:46 AM
That's not what I've said at all.

But the bottom line is, a 100% scholarship is a big deal to these kids when a bunch of them can't get offers like that other places. He can offer that to every single prospect they go after. That is a massive advantage.

I was referring to someone else on another board.

Yes it is an advantage but they still lose people to the draft and they still have to find the right players to offer the money to. It takes an elite coach to have that kind of knowledge.

Backspin
05-17-2018, 10:40 AM

Yes it is an advantage but they still lose people to the draft and they still have to find the right players to offer the money to. It takes an elite coach to have that kind of knowledge.

You are spot on Todd. Finding the right players to fit your system/philosophy as a coach as well as the school/town is critical to success. Not every outstanding talent is a fit for a particular baseball program. The best coaches know what they're looking for and may pass on a stud because he doesn't fit. And fit goes both ways. A particular elite program may not be a fit for a player for a variety of reasons.

smootness
05-17-2018, 11:26 AM

All I'm saying is that he definitely does have a big advantage and still hasn't been able to sustain success the same way McDonnell and Schlossnagle have. Like I said, I'd obviously be happy with him as coach, just saying that's why I'd prefer one of the other two if I have a choice.

msstate7
05-17-2018, 11:35 AM
All I'm saying is that he definitely does have a big advantage and still hasn't been able to sustain success the same way McDonnell and Schlossnagle have. Like I said, I'd obviously be happy with him as coach, just saying that's why I'd prefer one of the other two if I have a choice.

Corbin last 7 years, 3 CWS (1x champs), 2 SR, and regional the other 2.

DM last 7, 3 CWS, 2 SR, 1 regional, and 1 no postseason.

JS last 7, 4 CWS (last 4), 1 SR, 1 regional, and 1 no postseason.

All are having down seasons this year.

ETA... to be fair, I just looked at Corbin's record last few years and started the sample size (7 years) with a CWS appearance. So this could be slanted some to help Corbin

Bulldog1
05-17-2018, 11:39 AM
Isn't McDonnell's team like super young this year?

msstate7
05-17-2018, 11:41 AM
Isn't McDonnell's team like super young this year?

Not sure. Corbin's is for sure... when we played them, both teams started 4 true freshmen

Bulldog1
05-17-2018, 11:42 AM
Not sure. Corbin's is for sure... when we played them, both teams started 4 true freshmen

Yep. What's up with TCU?

TNDawg35
05-17-2018, 11:42 AM
I want McDonnell first and foremost. I met the man back when he was at NM and he is a stand up guy. Then if it came to the second choice that would be JS. Id rather leave Corbin in Vandy. Everything I'm hearing tho has always been McDonnell. There is a reason they are down this yr. TCU is down also, but have had a ton of injuries.

TNDawg35
05-17-2018, 11:50 AM
I want McDonnell first and foremost. I met the man back when he was at NM and he is a stand up guy. Then if it came to the second choice that would be JS. Id rather leave Corbin in Vandy. Everything I'm hearing tho has always been McDonnell. There is a reason they are down this yr. TCU is down also, but have had a ton of injuries.

smootness
05-17-2018, 01:10 PM
Corbin last 7 years, 3 CWS (1x champs), 2 SR, and regional the other 2.

DM last 7, 3 CWS, 2 SR, 1 regional, and 1 no postseason.

JS last 7, 4 CWS (last 4), 1 SR, 1 regional, and 1 no postseason.

All are having down seasons this year.

ETA... to be fair, I just looked at Corbin's record last few years and started the sample size (7 years) with a CWS appearance. So this could be slanted some to help Corbin

We're obviously kind of splitting hairs here.

But this year will mark 3 of the last 7 years Corbin won't get to 40 wins. This year he may barely get to 30. Meanwhile, McDonnell has won fewer than 40 exactly one time ever, and that was 7 years ago. He will likely get to 40 again this year, and they are now solidly in the Tournament.

Schlossnagle has failed to get to 40 just 3 times total at TCU, twice at 39 and the last coming in his 1st year in the Big 12. He will likely fail again this year to reach it, but that will make just twice in the last 12 years he's failed to get there.

Yes, it's the SEC, but the ACC is also extremely good.

And 4 straight CWS and 5 straight SR, including CWS 3 out of 5, slightly trumps what Corbin did from 2011-2015.

Again, this is clearly splitting hairs, they're all incredibly good. But I like McDonnell's and Schlossnagle's overall success a little more, and they've both done it without the advantages Vandy has.

Tbonewannabe
05-17-2018, 02:56 PM
We're obviously kind of splitting hairs here.

But this year will mark 3 of the last 7 years Corbin won't get to 40 wins. This year he may barely get to 30. Meanwhile, McDonnell has won fewer than 40 exactly one time ever, and that was 7 years ago. He will likely get to 40 again this year, and they are now solidly in the Tournament.

Schlossnagle has failed to get to 40 just 3 times total at TCU, twice at 39 and the last coming in his 1st year in the Big 12. He will likely fail again this year to reach it, but that will make just twice in the last 12 years he's failed to get there.

Yes, it's the SEC, but the ACC is also extremely good.

And 4 straight CWS and 5 straight SR, including CWS 3 out of 5, slightly trumps what Corbin did from 2011-2015.

Again, this is clearly splitting hairs, they're all incredibly good. But I like McDonnell's and Schlossnagle's overall success a little more, and they've both done it without the advantages Vandy has.

This is kind of like picking between the brunette with perfect boobs versus the blond with the perfect butt. No matter what, you are a winner. Even Canny (the crazy redhead) was good for one year before setting your car on fire.

ScoobaDawg
05-17-2018, 03:25 PM
All that matters is we are looking for the one who can match wit's with the ones at the top of the game right now. We don't want someone who will get us to Omaha.
We want someone who with our resources can WIN THE WHOLE DAMN THING. and keep the momentum going.

Todd4State
05-17-2018, 03:32 PM
This is kind of like picking between the brunette with perfect boobs versus the blond with the perfect butt. No matter what, you are a winner. Even Canny (the crazy redhead) was good for one year before setting your car on fire.

Rep given. Would give more if allowed to. Perfect description of our coaching search.

Todd4State
05-17-2018, 03:34 PM
Yep. What's up with TCU?

Lots of injuries this year. They have 30 wins but their RPI is in the 60's.

dawgman
05-18-2018, 10:42 AM

Delmonico

Bully13
05-18-2018, 04:36 PM
"The New Coach Has Multiple CWS Appearances"

I take it Cohen and our new coach have already shook hands and made a deal.

Spiderman
05-18-2018, 10:51 PM

Yep

Todd4State
05-19-2018, 12:35 AM

I'll say this about Corbin. If he was our coach he would also take advantage of our advantages.

Don't forget- we have a lot of players getting a good bit of academic aid ourselves for a lot lower cost than Vanderbilt. We just don't have a formal name for our financial aid packages like Vandy does.

Todd4State
05-19-2018, 12:40 AM
You are spot on Todd. Finding the right players to fit your system/philosophy as a coach as well as the school/town is critical to success. Not every outstanding talent is a fit for a particular baseball program. The best coaches know what they're looking for and may pass on a stud because he doesn't fit. And fit goes both ways. A particular elite program may not be a fit for a player for a variety of reasons.

Yep. That's why Florida has been successful at a high level and to a lesser extent LSU. All have MLB scouting connections. That's the best way to deal with the draft and get ahead of any losses.

Ron Polk conditioned our fans to complain about what other schools do in terms of aid when the reality is we have been doing a lot of the same things ourselves since Cohen arrived. We just never had the MLB scouting connections until Cann arrived. I suspect we are going to get back to that very shortly.

Bully13
05-19-2018, 08:05 AM

Laughing my ass off. rep given sir.

Bully13
05-19-2018, 08:07 AM
Yep. That's why Florida has been successful at a high level and to a lesser extent LSU. All have MLB scouting connections. That's the best way to deal with the draft and get ahead of any losses.

Ron Polk conditioned our fans to complain about what other schools do in terms of aid when the reality is we have been doing a lot of the same things ourselves since Cohen arrived. We just never had the MLB scouting connections until Cann arrived. I suspect we are going to get back to that very shortly.

when did we stop?