PDA

View Full Version : Parallels between MSU football 2018 and MSU football 1941

Todd4State
05-15-2018, 01:34 AM
In 1941 we played LSU, Alabama, and Ole Miss on the road. The same as this year. We went 2-0-1 against those three tying LSU 0-0 and beating Alabama and Ole Miss.

We started off the 1941 season with a home game against Florida. This year we also play Florida in Starkville.

In 1941 our season ended with a game against the University of San Francisco. If we play for the National Championship this year it will essentially be in San Francisco (Santa Clara is close enough).

It would be interesting if we played Alabama who incorrectly claims the 1941 National Championship despite losing to MSU in Tuscaloosa and not even winning the SEC for the 1941 National Title.

Cohen really should have picked up Duquesne this year as our FCS team. They were the only team to beat the 1941 team. We could have gotten some payback.

msbulldog
05-15-2018, 06:23 AM
Great comparison Todd! You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Todd4State again.

Bully13
05-15-2018, 06:58 AM
Rep # 2 given. Great post Todd.

05-15-2018, 09:42 AM
A better comparison is 2000.

- Early road game vs. a P5-ish opponent: @ BYU vs. @ K-State
- Early road game vs. an SEC opponent we should beat: @ South Carolina vs. @ Kentucky
- We play Florida and Auburn in back to back weeks in the midseason weeks 4 and 5
- Road game vs. LSU that we should win because we are legitimately better
- 4 game SEC set to end the year, with a bad Arkansas at home and a formidable Ole Miss on the road

The biggest difference is obviously the Alabama of 2000 and the Alabama of 2018 are, uh, not the same, but Florida was much, much better then too. Both Auburn teams are good. No matter, that team should have been a 1-loss team, so if we get the breaks this year, we are likely a 10-2 team at worst.

Martianlander
05-15-2018, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=5049;933726]A better comparison is 2000.

- We play Florida and Auburn in back to back weeks in the midseason weeks 4 and 5
-

Correct-Need to really be ready on Auburn. You know the Florida game will rock the fans and players. Can't have a let down against Auburn.

05-15-2018, 10:08 AM
Correct-Need to really be ready on Auburn. You know the Florida game will rock the fans and players. Can't have a let down against Auburn.
I don't see how any team could be more 'up' than we were against Florida in 2000. That was my favorite game as a fan thus far. Then, we came out and just straight physically whipped Auburn all day long, the following week. I think we held Rudi Johnson to like 20 yards rushing. It was the damndest thing I'd ever seen, the best 2 weeks of MSU football I had seen in my life until the 2014 Texas A&M and Auburn weeks.

TUSK
05-15-2018, 11:37 AM
I'll save us all the trouble and just claim NC #752 right now!*

Row Todd Row!

Bully13
05-15-2018, 03:02 PM
I don't see how any team could be more 'up' than we were against Florida in 2000. That was my favorite game as a fan thus far. Then, we came out and just straight physically whipped Auburn all day long, the following week. I think we held Rudi Johnson to like 20 yards rushing. It was the damndest thing I'd ever seen, the best 2 weeks of MSU football I had seen in my life until the 2014 Texas A&M and Auburn weeks.

Was at both of those games back in 2000 as well. I remember after the game, some MSU fan stole Old Ball Coach's visor. He had a tough time running off the field as the MSU fans flooded it rather quickly.

RezDog7
05-15-2018, 06:04 PM
Was at both of those games back in 2000 as well. I remember after the game, some MSU fan stole Old Ball Coach's visor. He had a tough time running off the field as the MSU fans flooded it rather quickly.

Still can’t believe I sold my student tickets for that game so I could buy beer. I didn’t even get enough money to buy enough beer to last until the end of the game.