PDA

View Full Version : Does 1 Win Vs. Florida Get Us In The Tournament?

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 09:04 PM
1 win vs. Florida guarantees us a .500 season. We're 28-24 right now. If we win one this weekend, one in Hoover then lose the next 2 in Hoover, that puts us at 30-28. Is that good enough or do we HAVE to win 2 this weekend?

sleepy dawg
05-14-2018, 09:28 PM
1 win vs. Florida guarantees us a .500 season. We're 28-24 right now. If we win one this weekend, one in Hoover then lose the next 2 in Hoover, that puts us at 30-28. Is that good enough or do we HAVE to win 2 this weekend?

Quaoarsking made a good post here about our chances based on history: link (https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?66649-Predicting-our-NCAA-fate-based-on-recent-history)

I think most agree we need to probably win 2 against Florida to feel good. Chances are slim if we win 1 against Florida then lose out.

Choctaw Dawg
05-14-2018, 09:42 PM
Combining Florida and the SEC tournament, in order for us to be guaranteed in, we need to at least win 3

If we take two from Florida I think we are just safe.

anything less than that we should be sweating on selection day.

Todd4State
05-14-2018, 10:42 PM
I think the real question is what will our RPI be if we get one win? If our RPI is 32 or lower with only one win over Florida based on history that would probably be good enough to get us in. I'm basing this off of Quaoarsking's research.

The thing about RPI is you never know what will happen with it because it's also based off of what everyone else does too. This weekend was a good example. We lost two to RPI 18 I think at the time Kentucky and dropped down from RPI 35 to 41 and then we won Sunday and jumped up to 35 again.

Todd4State
05-14-2018, 10:44 PM
Combining Florida and the SEC tournament, in order for us to be guaranteed in, we need to at least win 3

If we take two from Florida I think we are just safe.

anything less than that we should be sweating on selection day.

Two for sure would almost make us a lock even getting eliminated on day one in the SEC Tournament. That should put our RPI into the 20's.

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 10:45 PM
Do they have a RPI generator for college baseball? I've seen one for basketball, but never baseball.

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 10:46 PM
I looked earlier and I think our SOS is 13 right now, but can't remember if that's exactly the number.

Todd4State
05-14-2018, 11:58 PM
Do they have a RPI generator for college baseball? I've seen one for basketball, but never baseball.

warrennolan.com may have something sort of like that but I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for.

sleepy dawg
05-15-2018, 09:18 AM
warrennolan.com may have something sort of like that but I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for.

Boyds world has something similar. He looks at what it takes to get to certain thresholds assuming all else stays the same. This expects we need 2 out of 3 to get to top 32 RPI. You can never know b/c you have no idea what everybody else is doing, but if things remained the same, 1 doesn't get us there.

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/rpineeds.html

I found this originally from Massey ratings which have links to all sorts of good stuff if you want to start digging deep:
https://www.masseyratings.com/cbase/compare.htm

biggun
05-15-2018, 06:20 PM
Any combo of 2 wins, 1 vs Florida & 1 in SEC Tourney or 2 vs Florida, and we are 100% in. Period

1 win vs Florida and lose our 1 and only game in SEC Tourney, I still think we have a better than 50/50 shot of getting in. Likely out of our hands and dependent on how other bubble teams do, but the committee may give us the benefit of the doubt due to losing our sex freak HC after our opening series of the year plus having to play the first month of the season on the road.

We also have improved greatly over the course of the season when we had every reason to throw the towel in, looks pretty good too.

If swept by Florida, done.

Todd4State
05-15-2018, 11:42 PM
Boyds world has something similar. He looks at what it takes to get to certain thresholds assuming all else stays the same. This expects we need 2 out of 3 to get to top 32 RPI. You can never know b/c you have no idea what everybody else is doing, but if things remained the same, 1 doesn't get us there.

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/rpineeds.html

I found this originally from Massey ratings which have links to all sorts of good stuff if you want to start digging deep:
https://www.masseyratings.com/cbase/compare.htm

This is true. By the way as I type this we are currently 32 in RPI. The question is if we lose two how badly does it hurt our RPI?

Pit Bull
05-16-2018, 01:17 AM
This is true. By the way as I type this we are currently 32 in RPI. The question is if we lose two how badly does it hurt our RPI?

It might even get better....playing #1 UF is good for us win or lose, but we really need to at least win one to get to Hoover so we can add some more....hopefully. I think if we win 1 vs the Gators, it won't matter what Mizzou and UT do this weekend.

Bulldog1
05-16-2018, 08:58 PM
What does the weather forecast in Starkville look like for this weekend?