PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Braves

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 07:53 PM
Baseball America prospect hot list has 2 Braves' players in it.
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-mlb-prospects-hot-sheet-51418/

5. Austin Riley, 3B, Braves
Team: Triple-A Gwinnett (International)
Why He's Here: .345/.387/.690 (10-for-29) 10 R, 1 2B, 3 HR, 9 RBIs, 2 BB, 8 SO, 1-for-1 SB.

The Scoop: Riley's spot on the Hot Sheet was earned on one day, but what a day it was. Riley came into Sunday having produced one extra-base hit in his first six games in Triple-A. On Sunday, Riley ended that by going 4-for-5 with three home runs including a grand slam. Riley now has nine home runs this season. After hitting exactly 20 home runs in each of the past two seasons, he should top that this season.

7. Kolby Allard, LHP, Braves
Team: Triple-A Gwinnett (International)
Why He's Here: 1-0, 1.50, 6 IP, 8 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 HR, 3 BB, 2 SO

The Scoop: While Allard doesn't light up radar guns like many top pitching prospects, a number of his indicators are pointing in the right direction. Specifically, he's the youngest pitcher in the International League and has proven durable as he moves farther out from back surgery he had in his draft year. Allard has pitched to a 1.71 ERA through six starts this year, ranking him second in the IL, thanks in part to the development of an outstanding changeup that makes him an intriguing three-pitch lefty.

msstate7
05-14-2018, 08:27 PM
They only had allard's first start of the week. He pitched again yesterday. Here's stats for week...

14.0 ip. 10 h 1 er 4 bb 10 k

Yesterday was an absolute gem...
8.0 ip 2 h 0 er 1 bb 8 k

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 08:29 PM
Wow. Future is bright, So is the present time for the Braves. Are those 3 homers they listed for Riley from yesterday, or does it need updating too?

msstate7
05-14-2018, 08:31 PM
Wow. Future is bright, So is the present time for the Braves. Are those 3 homers they listed for Riley from yesterday, or does it need updating too?

They updated Riley, but not allard for some reason

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 11:20 PM
They updated Riley, but not allard for some reason

That's odd. I saw this tweet; this is awesome.

Bulldog1
05-15-2018, 08:13 AM

MetEdDawg
05-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Ozzie is tied with Harper for the NL lead in homers. Markakis is 2nd in the NL in batting average and Freeman is 5th. Freeman is also 4th in the NL in RBI. This team is raking right now and it's fun to watch.

The thing that has impressed me most is that we've done this away from SunTrust. 25 road games and 15 home games. We are 17-8 on the road and 8-7 at home.

shoeless joe
05-15-2018, 08:38 AM
This team is good. We'll find out how good over the course of the year. IMO it's goin to come down to whether or not enough young pitchers are able to have sustained success. There is goin to come a time when the bats go cold and they'll hafta win some low scoring games. Good news is that this team seems to execute the little things, except scoring a runner from third with less than two outs and this stat hasn't been a big deal cuz with two outs and RISP they hit so well.

I like how they've overcome what adversity they have faced. I still think the Nats win the division but this team should be in the playoff hunt come September. We shall see.

MetEdDawg
05-15-2018, 09:21 AM
This team is good. We'll find out how good over the course of the year. IMO it's goin to come down to whether or not enough young pitchers are able to have sustained success. There is goin to come a time when the bats go cold and they'll hafta win some low scoring games. Good news is that this team seems to execute the little things, except scoring a runner from third with less than two outs and this stat hasn't been a big deal cuz with two outs and RISP they hit so well.

I like how they've overcome what adversity they have faced. I still think the Nats win the division but this team should be in the playoff hunt come September. We shall see.

The three big things on our plate right now:

1) Are we going to seriously go after Machado? What would a deal like that look like? Swanson and a couple good arms? Are we willing to do that? I just don't know.

2) Are we going to get a top line starter? We've got a lot of good young pitching. Are we going to make a move here or roll with the youth movement and see how far that takes us?

3) Are we going to get bullpen help? There's a lot of possibilities out there that we could probably get on the cheap. Can we make that happen?

If we are going to be serious about contending, and at the quarter pole I think we have to assume for the moment we are serious contenders, what do we do? We are probably a year early, but I think there are moves to be made that won't hurt our future potential. I just don't know what they will look like.

msstate7
05-15-2018, 09:24 AM

1) Are we going to seriously go after Machado? What would a deal like that look like? Swanson and a couple good arms? Are we willing to do that? I just don't know.

2) Are we going to get a top line starter? We've got a lot of good young pitching. Are we going to make a move here or roll with the youth movement and see how far that takes us?

3) Are we going to get bullpen help? There's a lot of possibilities out there that we could probably get on the cheap. Can we make that happen?

If we are going to be serious about contending, and at the quarter pole I think we have to assume for the moment we are serious contenders, what do we do? We are probably a year early, but I think there are moves to be made that won't hurt our future potential. I just don't know what they will look like.

1/2 year of Machado isn't worth Swanson, much less more.

Bulldog1
05-15-2018, 09:26 AM
I'd rather go build up the bullpen/ get a TOR guy. Lineup is stacked.

MetEdDawg
05-15-2018, 09:26 AM
1/2 year of Machado isn't worth Swanson, much less more.

I would agree. Only way I would do that is if we could get control for longer, and considering Riley will be ready soon, is that something we want to do? I would say no unless we can get multiple years out of him.

msstate7
05-15-2018, 09:29 AM
I would agree. Only way I would do that is if we could get control for longer, and considering Riley will be ready soon, is that something we want to do? I would say no unless we can get multiple years out of him.

I don't think we can afford Machado or Harper. Wish we could though

msstate7
05-15-2018, 09:32 AM
If we're willing to kick the tires on Bautista at 3b, I'd trade for Jed lowrie. He's played 3b before. He's in the last year of his contract, so shouldn't be too expensive. Here's his stats this season... .331/.385/.564. 2.0 fWAR

Bulldog1
05-15-2018, 09:33 AM
There's a chance Riley will be up by July.

msstate7
05-15-2018, 09:34 AM
There's a chance Riley will be up by July.

I would rather bring him up next year in April after we gain another year of control

shoeless joe
05-15-2018, 11:17 AM

#3 is the most important need IMO followed by #2. But I could see the pen being addressed since we have a plethora of young arms on the verge.

Bulldog1
05-15-2018, 11:39 AM
Mark Bowman said on Twitter that Swanson might be activated near the end of this week.

Bulldog1
05-15-2018, 08:19 PM
SCREW MLB. UMPIRES, YOU SUCK. KILL REPLAY. BRAVES GET SCREWED AGAIN.

Bulldog1
05-15-2018, 08:22 PM
MLB is a joke. Oh if I was Snit, I'd go out there and beat the crap out of these umpires and pay the fine later.

Bulldog1
05-15-2018, 08:25 PM
It's rigged.

Bulldog1
05-15-2018, 08:28 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/grantmcauley/status/996561430936784901?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chopcountry.com%2Fforums% 2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D8143%26page%3D10

shoeless joe
05-15-2018, 08:29 PM
MLB replay has become a travesty of the game. I've been sayin it for over a year. Way too subjective and based on opinion. And not just with the braves...I've seen it in several games and several teams.

Pretty sure they have SEC officials doing replay.

Liverpooldawg
05-15-2018, 08:30 PM
Why even have it? That might be the worst one I have ever seen.

Bulldog1
05-15-2018, 08:33 PM
I'm one of the biggest ones against robot umpires, but I'm almost ready to approve them so we can get rid of these human umpires that are a joke.

shoeless joe
05-15-2018, 09:02 PM
Why even have it? That might be the worst one I have ever seen.

BAd thing is it's not the worst I've seen.

Cubs Rockies game ended on one that was just as bad if not worse earlier this year. Sometimes the replay ump makes a judgement based on what they actually see...other times they base their decision on what most likely did occur but there's no real evidence based on the video. And it changes game to game because it's a different crew of umps every series

Liverpooldawg
05-15-2018, 09:05 PM
BAd thing is it's not the worst I've seen.

Cubs Rockies game ended on one that was just as bad if not worse earlier this year. Sometimes the replay ump makes a judgement based on what they actually see...other times they base their decision on what most likely did occur but there's no real evidence based on the video. And it changes game to game because it's a different crew of umps every series

I don't doubt it. I don't watch a whole lot of baseball. My son is home and he is a Braves fan.

Bulldog1
05-15-2018, 09:13 PM
Viz is not a closer for a contending team. He just isn't.

shoeless joe
05-15-2018, 09:57 PM

Agreed

And he's been hit really hard last couple times out

MetEdDawg
05-15-2018, 10:04 PM
His stuff is overrated and always has been. FB is flat and his slider is average. Minter needs to be the guy or we need to go get the guy

msstate7
05-15-2018, 10:09 PM
I?d give winkler a shot. I love minter, but he?s had serious control issues this season

Bulldog1
05-15-2018, 10:12 PM
Minter or Winkler. I like both.

shoeless joe
05-15-2018, 10:13 PM
Minter could be the guy. That cutter is ridiculous.

Def gotta upgrade the pen. As good as winkler and carle have been they're gonna slump or go on the DL at some point. Hell bring up a youngster or convert a future starter into a closer for this season then go out and sign kimbrel for next year. Worked for the cards and wainwright back in 06

msstate7
05-15-2018, 10:15 PM
If the staff is set for a while, maybe start easing gohara toward the closing role.

parabrave
05-15-2018, 10:30 PM

Been that way since he got here. If Gohora can get up to 98 again I wouldn't mind giving him a try at closer.

shoeless joe
05-15-2018, 10:32 PM
As bad as the replay call was I will say this...the fact that it was even close is on camargo. He was standing flat footed when the ball got past the catcher and was rite beside the base. Also, it was not a very good gamble with the top of the order up. Was about to be 2nd and 3rd nobody out with albies at the plate.

Yes the call and replay call was brutal.::if he hsd been called safe the Cubs wouldn't have even challenged it...but at the end of the day it was a bad gamble and not a good baseball play by camargo

Bulldog1
05-15-2018, 10:59 PM
Carle could also be an option to close.

BoomBoom
05-15-2018, 11:43 PM
His stuff is overrated and always has been. FB is flat and his slider is average. Minter needs to be the guy or we need to go get the guy

His fastball is electric, but his off speed stuff has gone from average to hot garbage. Every MLB hitter is ignoring his off speed stuff cause they know he'll only throw one get over POS change per AB. They're sitting on his fastball, and MLB hitters can hit anyone's fastball.

msstate7
05-16-2018, 06:04 AM
His fastball is electric, but his off speed stuff has gone from average to hot garbage. Every MLB hitter is ignoring his off speed stuff cause they know he'll only throw one get over POS change per AB. They're sitting on his fastball, and MLB hitters can hit anyone's fastball.
He's so inconsistent with his offspeed. After hanging almost every slider last night to start the inning, he threw 3 + sliders to K kris Bryant to end the inning

Really Clark?
05-16-2018, 08:49 AM

What they hit was his hanging slider. And he got away with another one that a hitter missed. When they hang that bad a MLB usually is not going to miss an 89 mph meat pitch. They were not just sitting on a fastball, just reacting to a bad pitch.

shoeless joe
05-16-2018, 09:53 AM
What they hit was his hanging slider. And he got away with another one that a hitter missed. When they hang that bad a MLB usually is not going to miss an 89 mph meat pitch. They were not just sitting on a fastball, just reacting to a bad pitch.

Actually...russel did miss a hanging 89 mph slider in that at bat and it was the fastball he hit off the wall

Really Clark?
05-16-2018, 10:21 AM
Actually...russel did miss a hanging 89 mph slider in that at bat and it was the fastball he hit off the wall

Yeah I said a hitter missed one that hung. Probably should have said it better, hitters are always geared up for his fast ball. They can’t not be looking to time that speed. But they are not ignoring his off speed like the other poster stated. They are reacting to the off-speed also

shoeless joe
05-16-2018, 10:28 AM
Yeah I said a hitter missed one that hung. Probably should have said it better, hitters are always geared up for his fast ball. They can’t not be looking to time that speed. But they are not ignoring his off speed like the other poster stated. They are reacting to the off-speed also

No doubt. And the reason russel fouled that pitch off is cuz it was so terrible. When that happened I knew that he was gonna sit FB and launch one.

Bulldog1
05-16-2018, 07:10 PM
I'd rather listen to Spanish announcers than Chip and Joe.

shoeless joe
05-16-2018, 07:52 PM
I'd rather listen to Spanish announcers than Chip and Joe.

Why the joe Simpson hate? I think he is one of the top color guys around. I am in total agreement on chip. He is awful. How can someone watch so much baseball and still not have a clue. Him and joe buck both fit this category. And the other thing they have in common is why they have the jobs they have.

I will had that I really like buck calling football.

Bulldog1
05-16-2018, 07:57 PM
Why the joe Simpson hate? I think he is one of the top color guys around. I am in total agreement on chip. He is awful. How can someone watch so much baseball and still not have a clue. Him and joe buck both fit this category. And the other thing they have in common is why they have the jobs they have.

I will had that I really like buck calling football.
Well, Joe is just non stop digging on analytics. I'm not crazy about them, partially because I don't know much about them- but some of them are very good. Like the shift; If the shift works, he makes some smart comment, but if it doesn't work, you have to listen to "what's wrong with analytics" for the next half inning. I know it's probably nitpicking, but I like a little more excitement in a broadcast. I love Hawk Harrelson, though most people can't stand him. He brings excitement to the game.

shoeless joe
05-16-2018, 08:04 PM
Well, Joe is just non stop digging on analytics. I'm not crazy about them, partially because I don't know much about them- but some of them are very good. Like the shift; If the shift works, he makes some smart comment, but if it doesn't work, you have to listen to "what's wrong with analytics" for the next half inning. I know it's probably nitpicking, but I like a little more excitement in a broadcast. I love Hawk Harrelson, though most people can't stand him. He brings excitement to the game.

Agreed on hawk. I prefer a homer announcer myself.

Joe is a traditionalists but he knows the game flat out. He doesn't mind callin it like it is and has no qualms hurting feeling. I prolly appreciate that cuz I have those very same failings myself. And he's a major homer as well. I also appreciate his extremely dry sense of humor. He just seems like a guy I would enjoy sitting down with and talkin the game. And it's obvious that he does bite his tongue when chip lets his dumbassedry shine.

I've said it before and will say it again. The braves missed a HUGE opportunity back on the old peachtree days when joe and smoltz would call games together. Joe is a really good play by play guy and smoltz is top notch as well. Talk about entertaining and knowledgeable. I would actually compare joe on play by play to hawk harrelson. But they wouldn't cut chip loose and now he's here for the long haul.

And as much as I loved glavine in his playing days he's awful in the booth. Would be a good post or pre game analysts however.

msstate7
05-16-2018, 08:07 PM
My favorite play-by-play is Jon miller. Favorite color is Steve stone.

shoeless joe
05-16-2018, 08:10 PM
My favorite play-by-play is Jon miller. Favorite color is Steve stone.

Jon miller?!?!?!? Oh my. I will say that his voice, when I was a kid, was a very welcome sound cuz it meant a premier Sunday nite matchup

I enjoy Steve stone as well

msstate7
05-16-2018, 08:12 PM
Jon miller?!?!?!? Oh my. I will say that his voice, when I was a kid, was a very welcome sound cuz it meant a premier Sunday nite matchup

I enjoy Steve stone as well

Miller does giant games now. I'm jealous

Bulldog1
05-16-2018, 08:17 PM
Give me Hawk and whoever and I'm fine.

shoeless joe
05-16-2018, 08:23 PM
Miller does giant games now. I'm jealous

Miller isn't even the best giants announcer. That goes to kuiper. He's good.

shoeless joe
05-16-2018, 08:24 PM
Give me Hawk and whoever and I'm fine.

Hawk and wimpy were awesome. May be the best duo I've heard. I never heard jimmy pearsall but he was supposedly really entertaining

Bulldog1
05-16-2018, 08:25 PM
I like Michael Kay for the Yankees too. He has a good home run call. So does the Orioles Play by Play guy.

Bulldog1
05-16-2018, 08:36 PM
Carle is nasty.

shoeless joe
05-16-2018, 08:37 PM
I like Michael Kay for the Yankees too. He has a good home run call. So does the Orioles Play by Play guy.

Gary Thorne is oriole's guy. He used to do espn games and did a lot of college baseball in those day. Never like him much.

shoeless joe
05-16-2018, 08:39 PM
Along these same lines do any of y'all watch MLB tonite much? The late nite version is awesome. It's just a group of guys watching, taking, and joking about baseball. The nites when they have Harold Reynolds and Pedro or billy Ripken, plesac, and thome are extremely entertaining. I take the first shift with our newborn and I've really grown to enjoy the show.

msstate7
05-16-2018, 08:43 PM
Along these same lines do any of y'all watch MLB tonite much? The late nite version is awesome. It's just a group of guys watching, taking, and joking about baseball. The nites when they have Harold Reynolds and Pedro or billy Ripken, plesac, and thome are extremely entertaining. I take the first shift with our newborn and I've really grown to enjoy the show.
Every night after braves

Bulldog1
05-16-2018, 08:44 PM

I love it. Harold and Plesac are my favorites- very intelligent and very knowledgeable about the game. Bill Ripken is also on there and Smoltz.

Bulldog1
05-16-2018, 08:45 PM
I get mad when they are showing late night games and mlb tonight doesn't come on that night.

Bulldog1
05-16-2018, 09:06 PM
Acuna is hitting rockets nearly every at bat.

shoeless joe
05-16-2018, 09:14 PM
There's a chance to question a manager. Maddon walks a recently slumping markakis, O for last 8 to pitch to the guy that's seein the ball as well as anyone on the team rite now.

Also, great approach by flowers. Looking for a pitch to lift and drive he's able to lay off those first two sliders...which made the at bat.

BoomBoom
05-16-2018, 10:53 PM
Yeah I said a hitter missed one that hung. Probably should have said it better, hitters are always geared up for his fast ball. They can?t not be looking to time that speed. But they are not ignoring his off speed like the other poster stated. They are reacting to the off-speed also

I saw La stella hit one when he got two in a row. But I haven't seen every at bat lately. From most I've seen, as soon as he throws it the batter stands up and relaxes like its a 3-0 pitch with a hard take. Maybe he's tipping it. And I'm assuming those belt high off speed pitches are change ups. If that's his slider, that's even worse.

Really Clark?
05-16-2018, 11:23 PM
I saw La stella hit one when he got two in a row. But I haven't seen every at bat lately. From most I've seen, as soon as he throws it the batter stands up and relaxes like its a 3-0 pitch with a hard take. Maybe he's tipping it. And I'm assuming those belt high off speed pitches are change ups. If that's his slider, that's even worse.

Yeah those were hanging sliders last night. Better tonight spotting the fastball and showing the slider just enough.

Bulldog1
05-17-2018, 01:08 PM
Dansby is starting tonight in Rome, beginning rehab.

Bulldog1
05-17-2018, 01:46 PM
Soroka to DL- Fried up

msstate7
05-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Swanson up. Wisler down

parabrave
05-19-2018, 12:52 PM
Swanson up. Wisler down

Thought I would never say this but glad to have him back.

Bulldog1
05-19-2018, 12:55 PM
Bautista needs to go now.

parabrave
05-19-2018, 03:45 PM
Bautista needs to go now.

He should've never been brought up/ Unless they are trying to move/trade flarherty, he should be full time at 3rd with Camargo utilized as the utility infielder.

parabrave
05-19-2018, 08:09 PM
Well having scruffy back is doing wonders for Camargo tonight.

msstate7
05-20-2018, 09:09 AM
Per CJ9 (just a poster with generally good info) on chop country, "Apparently a press conference with Anthopoulos was called for this morning. Gotta think it?s bautista related since Camargo is playing today vs a lefty"

msstate7
05-20-2018, 09:14 AM
He was right... Bautista released

Bulldog1
05-20-2018, 09:18 AM
I've been so occupied with State baseball I've took the week off from my Snit and AA mini-rants. I've got to hand it to him today- Good job by AA to get Jose out of here.

msstate7
05-20-2018, 09:23 AM
Camargo every day 3b per AA

shoeless joe
05-20-2018, 09:52 AM
Ida liked to have kept Bautista as a RH power bat off the bench. I imagine they ran that idea by him and he passed.

I'd much rather see third as a platoon for now...between camargo and flaherty

Bulldog1
05-20-2018, 03:56 PM
My boy Dansby with the walk off! What a game!

msstate7
05-20-2018, 04:01 PM
Great comeback. Unless we get swept, we'll leave philly still in 1st

Commercecomet24
05-20-2018, 04:11 PM
Love this Braves team! Fun to watch again!

parabrave
05-20-2018, 05:00 PM
On the 8th ani of our 7 run comeback against the phillies. Kudos to Brooks Conrad.

shoeless joe
05-20-2018, 05:03 PM
On the 8th ani of our 7 run comeback against the phillies. Kudos to Brooks Conrad.

That was the reds

shoeless joe
05-20-2018, 05:06 PM
Didn't get to watch any of the game this weekend but always good to get a series win. Do that consistently and you play in October.

And apparently it was all Bautistas fault! *

starkvegasdawg
05-20-2018, 11:57 PM
They're almost about to lure me back into watching and caring again. These past few years it's been really nice only getting overly emotionally invested in MSU sports. If I take the Braves back and they break my heart again...

KOdawg1
05-21-2018, 12:12 AM
They're almost about to lure me back into watching and caring again. These past few years it's been really nice only getting overly emotionally invested in MSU sports. If I take the Braves back and they break my heart again...

I fully expect a mid-season melt. But as of now, they're playing great and the future is really bright.

MetEdDawg
05-21-2018, 08:15 AM
If you haven't been watching you've missed a lot of really quality baseball. Starting pitching has been good, situational hitting has been good, team energy is off the charts. It's been very exciting to watch. It's as close to must watch baseball as there is out there right now.

BuckyIsAB****
05-21-2018, 01:08 PM

This is where I am right now.

The comeback against the Marlins was pretty epic

parabrave
05-21-2018, 02:29 PM
Well they got me wooly again for the 1st time since the mid 2000s. If Sanchez can come back that will shore up the rotation. I would leave Gohara in the BP though. He has been lights out and can give us 2-3 solid mid relief innings. We still need a closer though.