•Mangum at .321
•Stovall at .311
•Skelton dead last at .128
•Mac at .292
•Gilbert at .254
•Alexander at .198

MetEdDawg
05-13-2018, 08:51 PM
Got 2 freshmen hitting better than Mangum in conference play. Future is bright. I would imagine Allen has a decent one too.

We've got to do a better job at getting quality catchers into this program. Gilbert has done better but we've got to get someone that can swing it better.

msstate7
05-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Actually be better for pretty much everyone after today. I think avg is a terrible way to judge hitters though... I like ops.

Ops leaders...
Rowdey = 1.028
Foscue = .907
Stovall = .834
Jake = .831
Mac = .782
Allen = .710
Gilbert = .652

Alexander not good here either at .626.

Ideally, anything over .800 is really good in mlb and .900 in college. I think .830s is good for little guys like Jake and Stovall, but we missing big boppers.

Bulldog1
05-13-2018, 08:57 PM
Actually be better for pretty much everyone after today. I think avg is a terrible way to judge hitters though... I like ops.

Ops leaders...
Rowdey = 1.028
Foscue = .907
Stovall = .834
Jake = .831
Mac = .782
Allen = .710
Gilbert = .652

Alexander not good here either at .626.

Ideally, anything over .800 is really good in mlb and .900 in college. I think .830s is good for little guys like Jake and Stovall, but we missing big boppers.
Rowdey and Foscue are gonna be studs.

msstate7
05-13-2018, 09:01 PM
Rowdey and Foscue are gonna be studs.

I think allen will be too.

Bulldog1
05-13-2018, 09:03 PM

Yea, if Ginn comes to campus next year, look out. My biggest wish is that Small comes back. Don't think he will though.

Tbonewannabe
05-13-2018, 09:07 PM
This tells me that our guys regressed except for Mac. The freshmen are doing their part but if we had a head coach that actually did his job then we would maybe have a slight chance at hosting or at least be a solid #2 somewhere. Where were the assistant coaches while Canny was chasing the cat?

05-13-2018, 09:17 PM

Hatcher is going to be good too, he was the highest rated hitter of that group

And while I do not think he should be playing 3B over Foscue, Westburg has impressed as well

basedog
05-13-2018, 09:26 PM
Cohen talked about Westburg, said he is just now scratching the surface. He thinks he will be a star, said it may not be next year but a no doubter in 2 years. He broke down a bunch of the young guys.

msstate7
05-13-2018, 09:29 PM
Hatcher is going to be good too, he was the highest rated hitter of that group

And while I do not think he should be playing 3B over Foscue, Westburg has impressed as well

Yeah, I'm not concerned at all with Hatcher's stats this year. I really love our freshmen

05-13-2018, 09:32 PM
Cohen talked about Westburg, said he is just now scratching the surface. He thinks he will be a star, said it may not be next year but a no doubter in 2 years. He broke down a bunch of the young guys.

I might start Westburg over Alexander

Bulldog1
05-13-2018, 09:35 PM

Yep.

msstate7
05-13-2018, 09:46 PM

Westburg certainly looked good swinging the bat the last 2 days. If I knew there would be no drop off in defense, I would have no problem with it. Westburg has been really shaky at 3b defensively though, and Alexander has played SS in all but 2 innings this season. Pretty drastic change going into last 3 games after Alexander just had a very good weekend with the glove... an error that gives up a run could cost you a game vs Florida with their staff

basedog
05-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Well I do think Belmont needs to take a game or two off but I don't think the time is this series against the Gators.

But I do think Westburg needs to in the lineup. I got wooly listening to Cohen talking bout him.

tcdog70
05-13-2018, 09:48 PM
Yep.

To me it's. a no brainer. Luke needs to go sit by Tanner Poole. he has had plenty of chances. You can't have your SS below the Mendoza line.

Bulldog1
05-13-2018, 09:49 PM
Westburg certainly looked good swinging the bat the last 2 days. If I knew there would be no drop off in defense, I would have no problem with it. Westburg has been really shaky at 3b defensively though, and Alexander has played SS in all but 2 innings this season. Pretty drastic change going into last 3 games after Alexander just had a very good weekend with the glove... an error that gives up a run could cost you a game vs Florida with their staff
There won't be much drop off (if any) at SS defensively between Westburg and Luke IMO.

msstate7
05-13-2018, 09:51 PM
There won't be much drop off (if any) at SS defensively between Westburg and Luke IMO.

I'm not sure what you base that on. I have no idea bc we haven't seen westburg at SS, but 2 innings. Have you watched practice or something?

Bulldog1
05-13-2018, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure what you base that on. I have no idea bc we haven't seen westburg at SS, but 2 innings. Have you watched practice or something?

No. But I don't believe there will be much drop off defensively at SS. We'll see.

msstate7
05-13-2018, 10:00 PM
No. But I don't believe there will be much drop off defensively at SS. We'll see.

You could be right. Again, I have no idea... I like to see things before forming an opinion

HoopsDawg
05-13-2018, 10:06 PM
The lineup AND batting order we started today should be the lineup we start every freaking game from here on out. Don't care if it's a righty or lefty on the hill. It's been driving me crazy that Westburg spent so much time on then bench.

preachermatt83
05-13-2018, 10:07 PM
Got 2 freshmen hitting better than Mangum in conference play. Future is bright. I would imagine Allen has a decent one too.

We've got to do a better job at getting quality catchers into this program. Gilbert has done better but we've got to get someone that can swing it better.

If a catcher can bat 250 and play defense the way Gilbert does I take him everyday. That kid has a cannon for an arm.

Todd4State
05-13-2018, 10:37 PM
We have some talented hitters but the problem in two years is going to be the pitching or lack thereof.

If we get Ginn he would slide in with this group as far as draft eligibility since he will be a draft eligible sophomore. Ashcraft could slide into this group as well possibly if he comes back healthy. Otherwise we're going to have to be carried by sophomore pitchers for the most part when this group is in their junior year.

Todd4State
05-13-2018, 10:39 PM
The lineup AND batting order we started today should be the lineup we start every freaking game from here on out. Don't care if it's a righty or lefty on the hill. It's been driving me crazy that Westburg spent so much time on then bench.

I'll say it again- we had one player out of our freshman class selected to play in the Cape Cod League this year. Jordan Anderson. And he's sitting on the bench.

Todd4State
05-13-2018, 10:44 PM
MSU 2020

Ace- Ginn*
Sat- Ashcraft
Sun- McQuary*
Closer- Self*

Regi Grace, Bryce Brock, Eric Cerentola, and Tyler Spring are all guys that could start as well. The guys with * are up in the air.

C- Hayden Jones
1B- Hatcher
2B- Allen
3B- Foscue
SS- Westburg
LF- Rowdey
CF- Jordan Anderson
RF- Bryce Bush
DH- Ginn

While I think the pitching staff could be WAY off because most of those guys have draft options I think the lineup is pretty close to what it will be in 2020.

05-14-2018, 07:50 AM
MSU 2020

Ace- Ginn*
Sat- Ashcraft
Sun- McQuary*
Closer- Self*

Regi Grace, Bryce Brock, Eric Cerentola, and Tyler Spring are all guys that could start as well. The guys with * are up in the air.

C- Hayden Jones
1B- Hatcher
2B- Allen
3B- Foscue
SS- Westburg
LF- Rowdey
CF- Jordan Anderson
RF- Bryce Bush
DH- Ginn

While I think the pitching staff could be WAY off because most of those guys have draft options I think the lineup is pretty close to what it will be in 2020.

Allen is going to be the first baseman, he is horrible everywhere else. He will start there until he stops hitting, which by the looks of it will be never

Hatcher came to school as an outfielder, that's where his future at MSU lies

Jordan or a newcomer will move to 2B

05-14-2018, 07:53 AM

Yeah it's hard to sit Alexander at this point bc he's been the anchor of the defense this year, may as well ride it out, but I certainly practice Westburg there after this season and create some competition, unless Stovall gets drafted

I do have a sneaky suspicion that Alexander is the starting SS the rest of his MSU career though, and you never know, maybe he's one of those seniors that has a meteoric rise

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 07:54 AM
Allen is going to be the first baseman, he is horrible everywhere else. He will start there until he stops hitting, which by the looks of it will be never

Hatcher came to school as an outfielder, that's where his future at MSU lies

Jordan or a newcomer will move to 2B

First base is not even Tanner Allen's natural position.

msstate7
05-14-2018, 08:02 AM
Yeah it's hard to sit Alexander at this point bc he's been the anchor of the defense this year, may as well ride it out, but I certainly practice Westburg there after this season and create some competition, unless Stovall gets drafted

I do have a sneaky suspicion that Alexander is the starting SS the rest of his MSU career though, and you never know, maybe he's one of those seniors that has a meteoric rise

Doubt Alexander is ever a good hitter, but there are a couple of positive signs that he could be much better next season...

K rate...
Freshman = 24.39%
Soph = 25.78%
Junior = 14.10%

Babip...
Fresh = .286
Soph = .287
Junior = .224

He has dramatically cut strike outs this season, but his babip has dropped .060 points from career avg. Pretty unlucky... if he can keep the strike out rate around 14% again next season, I expect his BABIP to return to normal career level. If his babip does return to normal career mark, he's a .260-.270 avg hitter with some pop.

05-14-2018, 08:14 AM
he's a .260-.270 avg hitter with some pop.

That is what I really wanted out of him this year, with some bombs, so yeah I think he'd be wildly productive with those numbers

I seen it dawg
05-14-2018, 08:29 AM
Doubt Alexander is ever a good hitter, but there are a couple of positive signs that he could be much better next season...

K rate...
Freshman = 24.39%
Soph = 25.78%
Junior = 14.10%

Babip...
Fresh = .286
Soph = .287
Junior = .224

He has dramatically cut strike outs this season, but his babip has dropped .060 points from career avg. Pretty unlucky... if he can keep the strike out rate around 14% again next season, I expect his BABIP to return to normal career level. If his babip does return to normal career mark, he's a .260-.270 avg hitter with some pop.

Lol i love how you keep throwing unlucky out there. I hope he starts hitting but i just don't ever see him handling sec pitching. He hasn't shown at any point in his career than he can. He is what he is.

Homedawg
05-14-2018, 08:39 AM
Lol i love how you keep throwing unlucky out there. I hope he starts hitting but i just don't ever see him handling sec pitching. He hasn't shown at any point in his career than he can. He is what he is.

When you have a flyball rate of more than 60% w the limited power he has, you are never going to hit.

msstate7
05-14-2018, 08:45 AM
When you have a flyball rate of more than 60% w the limited power he has, you are never going to hit.

Did his power go down this season? What explains the huge drop in BABIP? Where do you get fly ball rate?

basedog
05-14-2018, 08:47 AM
We have some talented hitters but the problem in two years is going to be the pitching or lack thereof.

If we get Ginn he would slide in with this group as far as draft eligibility since he will be a draft eligible sophomore. Ashcraft could slide into this group as well possibly if he comes back healthy. Otherwise we're going to have to be carried by sophomore pitchers for the most part when this group is in their junior year.

Come on Todd: (We have some talented hitters but the problem in two years is going to be the pitching or lack thereof.)

That is maybe your prediction but to come out and say it is crazy because we will have a new Coach. Coaches or really good Coaches can turn things around rather quickly in baseball. I'm not being negative looking ahead years in advance, you need to be cautions predicted things you or me and everyone else on here about two years down the road when we don't even have a new Coach.

Can you predict transfers, healthy pitchers, maybe a Juco, how bout a Freshman who steps up or maybe just a really good pitching coach who can change a few things with what we got.

i ain't buying what you got.

Tbonewannabe
05-14-2018, 10:39 AM
Come on Todd: (We have some talented hitters but the problem in two years is going to be the pitching or lack thereof.)

That is maybe your prediction but to come out and say it is crazy because we will have a new Coach. Coaches or really good Coaches can turn things around rather quickly in baseball. I'm not being negative looking ahead years in advance, you need to be cautions predicted things you or me and everyone else on here about two years down the road when we don't even have a new Coach.

Can you predict transfers, healthy pitchers, maybe a Juco, how bout a Freshman who steps up or maybe just a really good pitching coach who can change a few things with what we got.

i ain't buying what you got.

Baseball and basketball are hard to predict very far out due to freshmen and transfers. There is a lot more instant impact players than you get in football. In football, you can predict we will be good based on the returning production and where we need instant impact (WR) are typically the position that does well instantly.

05-14-2018, 10:48 AM
Did his power go down this season? What explains the huge drop in BABIP? Where do you get fly ball rate?
bro science

Johnson85
05-14-2018, 10:59 AM
MSU 2020

Ace- Ginn*
Sat- Ashcraft
Sun- McQuary*
Closer- Self*

C- Hayden Jones
1B- Hatcher
2B- Allen
3B- Foscue
SS- Westburg
LF- Rowdey
CF- Jordan Anderson
RF- Bryce Bush
DH- Ginn

Who are our pitchers that are coming in this fall that could be ready to be big time contributors in 2020?

And what about freshment in 2020? Our recruiting pipeline basically is what it is at this point, even with the coaching change,right? Do we have some pitchers in that class that would potentially be ready as freshmen? Are all of the ones that project to be ready as freshmen basically draft risks also?

I seen it dawg
05-14-2018, 11:23 AM

Eye test?

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 11:36 AM
Eye test?
Haha!