PDA

View Full Version : Is a Yeti worth the money?

hometowndawg
10-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Been thinking about getting it for awhile. Need some inside info

Thanks in advance

FISHDAWG
10-08-2013, 11:41 AM
yes !!

BeastMan
10-08-2013, 11:55 AM
It's a great cooler that is very well made and holds ice for days. If it fits what you need, then yes.

For me, I just don't have the need to justify the cost. We have 4-5 marine igloo's and they work fine for us. For day fishing trips etc... they work. I just don't do any overnight fishing or camping trips where I would need a yeti. FWIW Sam's club has a new high end igloo that looks exactly like a yeti for a fraction of the cost.

I have a buddy that says the reason a yeti holds ice for so long is b/c the tops are insulated and most coolers tops aren't. He drills holes in the top of his colemans and igloos and fills it will foam. He says his modified $30 cooler will hold ice just as long as a yeti. I don't think its worth the trouble but that could be another option,

Political Hack
10-09-2013, 08:06 PM
the 100 QT marine igloos are only about $125 and can hold I've for a few days if you don't open them up continuously. I think the yeti's last a lot longer and hold I've long we if you're going on a week long trip or something, but otherwise you're basically just saving yourself a few bucks in ice every few days by buying a yeti.

FlabLoser
10-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Don't forget keeping stuff hot. People at our tailgate brought some hot foot in their Yeti. We had to let it cool down a bit.

FISHDAWG
10-10-2013, 08:36 AM
the 100 QT marine igloos are only about $125 and can hold I've for a few days if you don't open them up continuously. I think the yeti's last a lot longer and hold I've long we if you're going on a week long trip or something, but otherwise you're basically just saving yourself a few bucks in ice every few days by buying a yeti.
not exactly - you can't use it for sitting or standing on as a casting platform the same way you can a Yeti .... it's not just an insulated and well gasketed top that makes them so expensive ... they are rotocasted - a manufacturing process that makes them incredibly strong and durable ... just forget one time to strap down a cheaper cooler when you are trying to make headway in 3-5' seas and you will see why they are worth the cost

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-10-2013, 08:45 AM
I've got a Yeti 50 and I love it, but I wouldn't have bought it unless I got for it the price that I did. The key with the yeti is to pre-cool it with some ice so that it's holding a cold temp when you add room temperature items.

FISHDAWG
10-10-2013, 09:11 AM
if you are just looking for ice to last a long time use block ice - even the cheapest coolers will work with block ice

BeastMan
10-10-2013, 09:15 AM
@FishDawg

You're definitely right about standing on a marine igloo. We don't and I wouldn't suggest it. We have some plastic fittings on the floor, right in from of the center console, that hold the cooler in place and there are bungee cords that hold it to the floor. We do sit on it with a cushion when riding but I wouldn't stand on it to fish. Yeti's are no doubt built stronger.

Barking 13
10-10-2013, 09:46 AM
if you are just looking for ice to last a long time use block ice - even the cheapest coolers will work with block ice

I freeze quart gatorade bottles and 2 litre "coke" bottles of water... not near the mess as cubed ice, and reusable

BeastMan
10-10-2013, 09:58 AM
I freeze quart gatorade bottles and 2 litre "coke" bottles of water... not near the mess as cubed ice, and reusable

That's a great idea

Barking 13
10-10-2013, 10:02 AM
That's a great idea

just don't drink them afterward.. reuse all you want, but don't drink it... especially if you notice "sea horses" in it after you've drank half a bottle... went down for almost two weeks and thought I was gonna die... it was 5 days before I could keep a cracker down... bad shit!

Maroon Diapers
10-11-2013, 09:57 AM
I'll get one when they figure out how to build wheels on them. While they are bad ass and have kept ice in my car for a week in 90 degree heat, I refuse to get a cooler that does not roll.

BeastMan
10-11-2013, 10:22 AM
I'll get one when they figure out how to build wheels on them. While they are bad ass and have kept ice in my car for a week in 90 degree heat, I refuse to get a cooler that does not roll.

I have always said that they should do this idea asap and make it just big enough to hold a 12 pack and ice. The SEC's greek system alone would make them billionaires if they did this. If you didn't have a yeti on wheels in the junction, grove, quad, etc... you are a nobody (to the frat stars at least).

Barking 13
10-11-2013, 10:30 AM
You could use one of those two wheeled luggage carts.. I know, I'm a cheap ass...

I had a cool set up for HS soccer games when my son played. Had a 2 wheel cart with a milk crate, a 5 gal LP tank in it with a Mr. Heater 45k btu on it.... nice and toasty

BeastMan
10-11-2013, 10:39 AM
You could use one of those two wheeled luggage carts.. I know, I'm a cheap ass...

I had a cool set up for HS soccer games when my son played. Had a 2 wheel cart with a milk crate, a 5 gal LP tank in it with a Mr. Heater 45k btu on it.... nice and toasty

Every now and then you'll see someone pier fishing lug one of these behind them http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cpi-designs-reels-on-wheels-8482-fishing-cart/pid-140463?N=845454861 like a pro. Don't give me wrong, it would be convenient as hell with all the rod holders but I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a fancy cooler cart. I'm a bit of a cheap skate on some things too

Barking 13
10-11-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm just talking about one of these:

$25

Political Hack
10-11-2013, 08:44 PM
I have no doubts the yeti would last longer. just with the price it's at, it better last five times longer! I would love one, but I don't deep sea fish enough to justify it.

Offshore Dawg
10-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Ask yourself, how long will I need to keep ice. One day on the water most any cooler. One week of beach camping = Yeti.

When I was working in Egypt, I used a 5 day rated Igloo to carry frozen meat, after traveling for 3 days food was still frozen.