PDA

View Full Version : SEC schools football revenue.

Leroy Jenkins
05-12-2018, 09:56 AM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/gross-revenue-figures-14-sec-football-programs-released/

Tennessee. $110.7 million
Alabama $108.1 million
Georgia $93.3 million
Auburn $91.7 million
LSU. $86.2 million
Florida $82.8 million
Arkansas $71.2 million
Texas A&M $70.4 million
Ole Miss $62.7 million
South Carolina $60.3 million
Kentucky. $36.4 million
Mississippi State $35.7 million
Missouri $29.2 million
Vanderbilt $29 million

Couple surprises. Guess money doesn't equal success. I thought TenErCee would be lower, aTm higher. I wouldn't trade our record in recent years, and/or future, for UTs budget. It is criminal how much they underachieve.

05-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Does that include SECN and bowl money?

Bully13
05-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Why is ours so low? ticket prices? premium seating?

Leroy Jenkins
05-12-2018, 10:29 AM
This is the article SDS used as a source. It breaks down to what's left after expenses. MSU was 12mil-ish if I remember correctly.

www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2018/05/sec_football_revenue_alabama_l.html

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-12-2018, 11:33 AM
What exactly does "football revenue" mean? Is it just the total ticket sales x price throughout the season, or are donations included? Are bowl payouts, SEC network, and clothing incomes included?

BB30
05-12-2018, 12:01 PM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/gross-revenue-figures-14-sec-football-programs-released/

Alabama $108.1 million
Georgia $93.3 million
Auburn $91.7 million
LSU. $86.2 million
Florida $82.8 million
Arkansas $71.2 million
Texas A&M $70.4 million
Ole Miss $62.7 million
Kentucky. $36.4 million
Missouri $29.2 million
Vanderbilt $29 million

Couple surprises. Guess money doesn't equal success. I thought TenErCee would be lower, aTm higher.

I think it does show money equals success or at least plays a role in it. Those at the top are the winningest programs in the sec historically and those at the bottom have historically been the least successful. I think money is becoming less important in the new age of college football and tv deals but it still paints a pretty interesting picture.

5 million more dollars goes a lot further for us than another 5 million in bamas budget does for them. Tennessee and Alabama are probably the two winningest programs in the sec historically. And most non state fans would agree that us, ky, and candy have been at the bottom.

Fortunately that is starting to change but if you look at that list bama, UF, UGA, auburn and Lsu have been 5 of the most successful programs as far as championships go over the last 15 -20 years with Tennessee dominating in the 80s and 90s.

drummerdawg
05-12-2018, 12:07 PM
How the hell are we almost $30 million behind om?

BB30
05-12-2018, 12:17 PM

I don’t know if it factors in but I remember seeing on here that they almost doubled us in fundraising and donations to the athletic programs.

We want a top 10 or 15 program and our fans love to complain about coaches and assistant salaries but then we complain about no general admission chairbacks at the baseball field and making left field loungers pay a bit more for a spot than they were or charging more for chairbacks at baseball games. A lot of us want the best of both worlds and it doesn’t work that way.

Leroy Jenkins
05-12-2018, 12:32 PM

To me, a more curious question is, "How did OM have the largest percentage increase in revenue last year in the conference?"; (up 5.9mil over last year) during a time when things were obviously not the best for them. Must have been spring game ticket sales.

Also some schools "report" numbers differently, private donations and such.

Saltydog
05-12-2018, 12:34 PM
NT

Leroy Jenkins
05-12-2018, 12:43 PM
I think it does show money equals success or at least plays a role in it. Those at the top are the winningest programs in the sec historically and those at the bottom have historically been the least successful. I think money is becoming less important in the new age of college football and tv deals but it still paints a pretty interesting picture.

5 million more dollars goes a lot further for us than another 5 million in bamas budget does for them. Tennessee and Alabama are probably the two winningest programs in the sec historically. And most non state fans would agree that us, ky, and candy have been at the bottom.

Fortunately that is starting to change but if you look at that list bama, UF, UGA, auburn and Lsu have been 5 of the most successful programs as far as championships go over the last 15 -20 years with Tennessee dominating in the 80s and 90s.

This is all irrelevant to me. I wouldn't trade our immediate future (all that matters really) with UF, LSU or UT. Call me crazy, but that 100m revenue wont stop us from beating that ass.

Bully13
05-12-2018, 01:08 PM
tsun must still be getting tons of money from those attorneys who sued the tobacco industry.

deadheaddawg
05-12-2018, 03:52 PM
To me, a more curious question is, "How did OM have the largest percentage increase in revenue last year in the conference?"; (up 5.9mil over last year) during a time when things were obviously not the best for them. Must have been spring game ticket sales.

Also some schools "report" numbers differently, private donations and such.

I'm guessing they saved a good bit on coaching. Freeze to Luke was obviously some of it, but I assume they probably lost some assistants and saved some there too

Saltydog
05-12-2018, 04:17 PM
NT

SailingDawg
05-12-2018, 04:45 PM

Alabama $108.1 million
Georgia $93.3 million
Auburn $91.7 million
LSU. $86.2 million
Florida $82.8 million
Arkansas $71.2 million
Texas A&M $70.4 million
Ole Miss $62.7 million
Kentucky. $36.4 million
Missouri $29.2 million
Vanderbilt $29 million

Couple surprises. Guess money doesn't equal success. I thought TenErCee would be lower, aTm higher. I wouldn't trade our record in recent years, and/or future, for UTs budget. It is criminal how much they underachieve.

This, my friends, is why we are a bottom tier SEC school and will remain so for years to come. Yes, we're going to have some good years coming up, but even our best under Mullen (the best in our history IMO) we were still never better than 4-4 in SEC play (correct me if I'm wrong).

UNM is in the same boat, no matter how delusional they are.

TUSK
05-12-2018, 06:10 PM
This, my friends, is why we are a bottom tier SEC school and will remain so for years to come. Yes, we're going to have some good years coming up, but even our best under Mullen (the best in our history IMO) we were still never better than 4-4 in SEC play (correct me if I'm wrong).

UNM is in the same boat, no matter how delusional they are.

MSU was 6-2 in '14.

Just for fun... (it's not statistically sound, but I'd bet the ratio rankings aren't far off)...

Team, 2017 Earnings, SEC Record 09-17, 2017 Millions spent per SEC Win 09-17 (smaller is mo betta)
MSU $35.7M, 35-45, 1.02
UA $108.1M, 71-09, 1.52
LSU $86.2M, 53-27, 1.63
OM $62.7M, 32-48, 1.96
AU $91.7M, 42-38, 2.18
ARK $71.2M, 30-50, 2.37
A&M $70.4M, 25-23, 2.82

Bully13
05-12-2018, 06:24 PM
How much does Tenn pay per win vs MSU? Why does it take so much more money for them to get wins than MSU?

TUSK
05-12-2018, 06:38 PM
How much does Tenn pay per win vs MSU? Why does it take so much more money for them to get wins than MSU?

A series of coaching fiascos in addition to having Bammer as a permanent cross rival opponent.

TUSK
05-12-2018, 06:46 PM

Tenneessee, $110.7, 26-54, 4.26 Mil per SEC Win...

nice.

Leroy Jenkins
05-12-2018, 06:47 PM
MSU was 6-2 in '14.

Just for fun... (it's not statistically sound, but I'd bet the ratio rankings aren't far off)...

Team, 2017 Earnings, SEC Record 09-17, 2017 Millions spent per SEC Win 09-17 (smaller is mo betta)
MSU $35.7M, 35-45, 1.02
UA $108.1M, 71-09, 1.52
LSU $86.2M, 53-27, 1.63
OM $62.7M, 32-48, 1.96
AU $91.7M, 42-38, 2.18
ARK $71.2M, 30-50, 2.37
A&M $70.4M, 25-23, 2.82

Imagine if we were in the east....

TUSK
05-12-2018, 10:09 PM
Imagine if we were in the east....

Yup... that 3.5 wins per year suddenly becomes 4.5 with that move....

IMissJack
05-13-2018, 02:03 PM
This is all irrelevant to me. I wouldn't trade our immediate future (all that matters really) with UF, LSU or UT. Call me crazy, but that 100m revenue wont stop us from beating that ass.

It is absolutely relevant. IF these numbers are correct, we are nearly $30M behind our biggest rival (who has similar enrollment). Thinking like this is what I hate about USM.

Token Bammer
05-13-2018, 06:56 PM
Money. One of the many reasons UT football will not stay in the SEC basement.

TUSK
05-13-2018, 07:15 PM
Money. One of the many reasons UT football will not stay in the SEC basement.

Yup. And now that Phat Phil is running the show (he's fired the HC, the AD and the Chancellor), some of the younger peeps are about to get a front row seat to see the underbelly of "Big Time" college football on full display...

Token Bammer
05-13-2018, 09:56 PM
Yup. And now that Phat Phil is running the show (he's fired the HC, the AD and the Chancellor), some of the younger peeps are about to get a front row seat to see the underbelly of "Big Time" college football on full display...

With Phil, that's quite the "underbelly". Hidden there, you may find a scholarship to UT, a shoe box full of cash, some Adidas gear, a dozen krispy kreme, or rack of lamb.

TUSK
05-14-2018, 12:26 AM
With Phil, that's quite the "underbelly". Hidden there, you may find a scholarship to UT, a shoe box full of cash, some Adidas gear, a dozen krispy kreme, or rack of lamb.

your anti-UT Game is weak, son*... I'll be watchin' you*....

https://deadspin.com/5422400/tennessees-hostess-program-catches-recruits-and-ncaas-eyes-updated

Leroy Jenkins
05-14-2018, 05:14 AM
It is absolutely relevant. IF these numbers are correct, we are nearly $30M behind our biggest rival (who has similar enrollment). Thinking like this is what I hate about USM.

OK. Think what you want. UT didn't get a single conference win with that 100m. Money can't fix everything.

Matty Dispatch
05-14-2018, 06:28 AM
The most recent NCAA figures on total athletic budgets says OM had a yearly budget of $110 million, MSU had $94 million. OM is saying that 53% of their total money is direct from football and MSU is saying 37% of theirs is direct from football. Until the SEC sends in auditors to uniformly categorize these figures, they'll be all over the place.

Leroy Jenkins
05-14-2018, 06:49 AM
The most recent NCAA figures on total athletic budgets says OM had a yearly budget of $110 million, MSU had $94 million. OM is saying that 53% of their total money is direct from football and MSU is saying 37% of theirs is direct from football. Until the SEC sends in auditors to uniformly categorize these figures, they'll be all over the place.

That's cool. But, we're talking revenue not budget.

Matty Dispatch
05-14-2018, 07:05 AM
That's cool. But, we're talking revenue not budget.

Pardon me, those figures ($110 for OM and $94 for MSU) were indeed revenue. Total budget (amount spent) for OM was $97 and $84 for MSU.

BrunswickDawg
05-14-2018, 07:27 AM

I would bet that MSU places BDC revenue in the athletic department revenue category, whereas OM and others put their "giving" proceeds in football. I wouldn't doubt that OM and many others put the SEC contribution into football as well (or football and basketball). They do this to justify the emphasis on football when the other sports start to bitch about their needs and budgets. If the tennis coach comes and asks for something, the AD can say "Football pays for you, STFU and go chase your fuzzy yellow ball."

Token Bammer
05-14-2018, 03:00 PM
your anti-UT Game is weak, son*... I'll be watchin' you*....

https://deadspin.com/5422400/tennessees-hostess-program-catches-recruits-and-ncaas-eyes-updated

Ah yes. They had quite the "Ho-stess" program didn't they? And that was under Kiffin. Lol. Phats could easily take it up a notch. He's a savage when it comes to cheating, screwing Alabama, and buffets.

TrapGame
05-14-2018, 03:09 PM
Ole Miss has boosters that never went there that are fantastically wealthy. One such booster is Larry Gordon. He has produced some of the biggest Hollywood movies in the last fifty years. He lives in Los Angeles. He's worth a couple hundred million easy. He's from Belzoni but went to Tulane. He worships everything ole miss including calling his good friend who owns the NY Giants and bitching him out about Eli being benched.

LC Dawg
05-14-2018, 03:26 PM
Our two resident Bammers seem to be a little worried about Fulmer. Kinda makes me want to root for the guy.

Token Bammer
05-14-2018, 03:51 PM
Our two resident Bammers seem to be a little worried about Fulmer. Kinda makes me want to root for the guy.

Nice catch.

Not worried about Phil himself necessarily. Back in the day he had a perfect storm of circumstances and people in place to put Alabama to sleep for a season.

He had Roy Kramer as the SEC commish, and that helped a LOT. Kramer and the SEC gave Phil and UT a pass to do whatever they wanted to do, and they took full advantage. UT was the dirtiest thing going at the time and they had no fear of repercussion.

Plus, BAMA had the Stallings/Hootie Ingram thing going, then followed it with Mike Dubose and some reckless boosters. We were ripe for the picking and Phil was ready to pounce.

Make no mistake, Phil loves UT, but his first love is hating Alabama. With no Roy Kramer, no free pass, and Nick Saban running Alabama, Phil is out of his league, but that fat cuss will still do his worst. I don't believe it will amount to much, however, but keeping an eye on the Great Pumpkin is a must for Nick Saban and Alabama. Everyone who pulls for the Tide knows this.

Pit Bull
05-14-2018, 05:36 PM

They graduate lots of doctors, lawyers, and have tons of old plantation money still hanging around since Civil War days. Most OM students I know have a trust fund to fall upon once they graduate in nothing. They own a crap load of land all over Mississippi. I had 2 aunts who were big OM fans and they owned several thousand acres near New Albany. The land is chock full of timber and they made a killing every time they cut and sold it. About every 25 years or so if I remember right. That land was going for about 2-3,000 per acre.

TUSK
05-14-2018, 07:38 PM
Nice catch.

Not worried about Phil himself necessarily. Back in the day he had a perfect storm of circumstances and people in place to put Alabama to sleep for a season.

He had Roy Kramer as the SEC commish, and that helped a LOT. Kramer and the SEC gave Phil and UT a pass to do whatever they wanted to do, and they took full advantage. UT was the dirtiest thing going at the time and they had no fear of repercussion.

Plus, BAMA had the Stallings/Hootie Ingram thing going, then followed it with Mike Dubose and some reckless boosters. We were ripe for the picking and Phil was ready to pounce.

Make no mistake, Phil loves UT, but his first love is hating Alabama. With no Roy Kramer, no free pass, and Nick Saban running Alabama, Phil is out of his league, but that fat cuss will still do his worst. I don't believe it will amount to much, however, but keeping an eye on the Great Pumpkin is a must for Nick Saban and Alabama. Everyone who pulls for the Tide knows this.

It amused me greatly how peeps back then said that Roy Kramer was "in bed with Bammer"... It could not have been further from the truth...

RocketDawg
05-14-2018, 07:46 PM
I would bet that MSU places BDC revenue in the athletic department revenue category, whereas OM and others put their "giving" proceeds in football. I wouldn't doubt that OM and many others put the SEC contribution into football as well (or football and basketball). They do this to justify the emphasis on football when the other sports start to bitch about their needs and budgets. If the tennis coach comes and asks for something, the AD can say "Football pays for you, STFU and go chase your fuzzy yellow ball."

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do to me.

Token Bammer
05-14-2018, 10:57 PM
It amused me greatly how peeps back then said that Roy Kramer was "in bed with Bammer"... It could not have been further from the truth...

Without question, anyone who said/says that doesn't know jack squat. Kramer helped Fulmer bring down Alabama, and that's all there is to it.