View Full Version : Pilk

msstate7
05-12-2018, 07:12 AM
Sec only stats

54.1 ip 61 h 19 bb 45 k
Era = 5.63
Whip = 1.48
K9 = 7.5, bb9 = 3.2, h9 = 10.1
Extra base hits = 17 (27.9% of hits are extrabase)
BAA = .286
Overall era = 4.31

61.0 ip 46 h 32 bb 59 k
Era = 4.13
Whip = 1.28
K9 = 8.7, bb9 = 4.7, h9 = 6.8
Extra base hits = 13 (28.3% of hits are extrabase)
BAA = .210
Overall era = 3.08

Pilk has improved in only 1 area this season, walks. His velocity is down... was topping out at 87 last night. His velocity was at its best at state his freshman year... to have dropped both years after that is very concerning for his future. If he can't get back to 91-93, he has no shot at pitching in mlb.

Todd4State
05-12-2018, 07:17 AM
I think he is overworked. We leaned on him a lot last year. And now we make him throw at least 100 no matter how many runs he allows because the idiot running the team probably wants to save the bullpen without regard of winning the game at the moment. Look at his pitches thrown per game-that's the stat that is telling the story in this case.

State82
05-12-2018, 07:28 AM
Yeah, he's not in a good situation right now for sure. Very disappointing and I hate it for him.

basedog
05-12-2018, 07:29 AM
I think the same thing Todd, he has pitched probably to much for over a year. He competes and has good stuff but a tired arm is obvious.

If we don't take at least one game this weekend there want be any "wrapping in maroon" for NCAA play. I like everyone I'm really disappointed in coaching decisions, obviously things are probably going on that we don't know about with the coaches. For one you got to think they all are thinking/knowing they want be back next year. Regardless it's hard to put that behind and really concentrate 24/7, it ain't happening. The blame on this year's team is Cann, dude had it going and that cell phone killed him as well as 2018 Msu baseball. Lack of leadership is a killer in sports.

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2018, 07:39 AM
Pilk got off of Wes Johnson's throwing program and "Pilk is from a small town in Mississippi. He likes to drink beer and eat" - somebody you know

Bulldog1
05-12-2018, 08:02 AM
I'm done defending Pilk this year. It's been very disappointing.

Jarius
05-12-2018, 08:06 AM
He hasn't had an ERA under 3 for 2 years. He's got a lot of potential, but he's never been consistently more than a good Saturday pitcher in the SEC. we have not had a true ace in a while.

msstate7
05-12-2018, 08:17 AM
He hasn't had an ERA under 3 for 2 years. He's got a lot of potential, but he's never been consistently more than a good Saturday pitcher in the SEC. we have not had a true ace in a while.
As his velocity has dropped, his sec era has risen...

2016 era = 2.73
2017 era = 4.13
2018 era = 5.63

Career in sec...
141.2 ip 70 er = 4.46 era

MetEdDawg
05-12-2018, 08:18 AM
If we can take two from UK, I would sit him in the UF series. Pitch Small, McQuary, and Billingsley and give him some rest.

It's not about defending Pilk. It's about understanding that as the workhorse he has had to do too much. If we had a halfway decent bullpen we pull Pilk last night 20 pitches before. Instead he had to throw 100 pitches and only go 4 2/3.

He has all the signs of fatigue. Leaving his FB arm side and high. FB velocity down. Breaking ball isn't as snappy. Weak motion towards the plate on his delivery. He's just plain tired and we need to get him some rest.

msstate7
05-12-2018, 08:23 AM
If we can take two from UK, I would sit him in the UF series. Pitch Small, McQuary, and Billingsley and give him some rest.

It's not about defending Pilk. It's about understanding that as the workhorse he has had to do too much. If we had a halfway decent bullpen we pull Pilk last night 20 pitches before. Instead he had to throw 100 pitches and only go 4 2/3.

He has all the signs of fatigue. Leaving his FB arm side and high. FB velocity down. Breaking ball isn't as snappy. Weak motion towards the plate on his delivery. He's just plain tired and we need to get him some rest.

I don't have pitch counts, but pilk will have to go 6.2 ip vs Florida to match his ip in sec last season. I don't doubt he is tired. If this is the case though, it is an indictment against our S&C and pilk's personal conditioning too. No way he should be wearing down... 108 ip last season, and only 77.1 ip this season

Bully13
05-12-2018, 08:28 AM
I would like to see some stats that show what innings those earned runs were given. Were they mostly in the later innings? are we not paying close enough attention to Pilk's pitch count? Are we not pulling him at the right times?

basedog
05-12-2018, 08:40 AM
One thing about k'tucky, If we don't hit and score a ton of runs then we will get swept. Looking at there offense numbers it's a mystery they are average in total Sec wins. Senior laden team and they were tied last night going into the weekend with us?

confucius say
05-12-2018, 08:47 AM
His location sucks. That's his biggest problem. Free passes. When he doesn't walk/hit people his numbers are still pretty good.

msstate7
05-12-2018, 08:50 AM
One thing about k'tucky, If we don't hit and score a ton of runs then we will get swept. Looking at there offense numbers it's a mystery they are average in total Sec wins. Senior laden team and they were tied last night going into the weekend with us?

They have the worst team era in the sec though, so we should score. Njelle was their best with an era of 3.56.

BTW, small is 9th in the sec among starters in era. Florida's Friday Saturday guys are #1 and #5 in era among sec starters... next weekend could be ugly

MarketingBully
05-12-2018, 09:09 AM
As his velocity has dropped, his sec era has risen...

2016 era = 2.73
2017 era = 4.13
2018 era = 5.63

Career in sec...
141.2 ip 70 er = 4.46 era

I don’t think it’s his velocity as much as it is his location. He was horrible with his location of his fastball from the first inning on BUT he was on with his curveball. So what did we do? Call a ton of pitches he was struggling control with. Henderson made every mistake you could make with our pitching staff from leaving Pilk in way too long to his choices for who he replaced Self with. It was all around horrible. As I have stated many times, Henderson definitely has lost us 10 games with his bone headed dumb decisions. He’s the worst head coach we have ever had even with the interim tag. I think Gautreau would have been a better choice as interim.

Todd4State
05-12-2018, 09:20 AM
Pilk got off of Wes Johnson's throwing program and "Pilk is from a small town in Mississippi. He likes to drink beer and eat" - somebody you know

I guess I'll mention again how shitty our S&C is for baseball again.

And on Wes Johnson- we totally M-Stated that. Everyone assumed his program caused Tommy John when in fact we just didn't do it correctly with our underclassmen. So of course our baseball programs response is to never do it again when has we done it correctly to start with our staff would be throwing gas. So shortsighted on our part.

Hopefully we get back to it with the new coach but do it correctly this time.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-12-2018, 09:37 AM
And on Wes Johnson- we totally M-Stated that. Everyone assumed his program caused Tommy John when in fact we just didn't do it correctly with our underclassmen.

Wouldn't that be on Wes Johnson for rushing it? or are you saying Cohen said "I know you use unconventional methods and are telling me they have to be done X way to be safe.... but I want results now so ignore safety"?

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-12-2018, 09:48 AM
I don't have pitch counts, but pilk will have to go 6.2 ip vs Florida to match his ip in sec last season. I don't doubt he is tired. If this is the case though, it is an indictment against our S&C and pilk's personal conditioning too. No way he should be wearing down... 108 ip last season, and only 77.1 ip this season
I think the argument some are making is that he's been overworked for multiple years now. Not just this season.

msstate7
05-12-2018, 10:05 AM
I think the argument some are making is that he's been overworked for multiple years now. Not just this season.

Maybe. I checked 2 other guys' IP that I consider about equal to pilk.

Sean njelle career ip = 203.1
Blaine knight career ip = 206.2
Pilk career ip = 228.2

He has worked more than them, so I guess it's plausible. Still doesn't explain the velocity drop every year though imo

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2018, 10:14 AM

Nah

05-12-2018, 10:18 AM
I think he is overworked. We leaned on him a lot last year. And now we make him throw at least 100 no matter how many runs he allows because the idiot running the team probably wants to save the bullpen without regard of winning the game at the moment. Look at his pitches thrown per game-that's the stat that is telling the story in this case.

He's not overworked, he just isn't a Friday night guy

Amazing how all these other pitchers across the country can handle it

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-12-2018, 11:10 AM
Maybe. I checked 2 other guys' IP that I consider about equal to pilk.

Sean njelle career ip = 203.1
Blaine knight career ip = 206.2
Pilk career ip = 228.2

He has worked more than them, so I guess it's plausible. Still doesn't explain the velocity drop every year though imo

Yea I don't think it does either. Unless playing for Team USA is a bigger commitment than just playing in the Cape. If it is, then going full speed basically since the beginning of last season could certainly begin having an effect on him at this point.

MetEdDawg
05-12-2018, 12:00 PM
Pitchers get fatigued. I'm stunned we now have people saying he's not a friday night guy when he's dominated so much in his career.

Folks, his arm is flat tired. Not everyone is built the same. He's a damn good pitcher but if you've never coached or played baseball this concept is foreign to you. You can't just go forever. He's tired and he needs a break. Everything he does shows signs of arm fatigue. That doesn't mean he sucks. Means he needs to rest. We need to get the hell off Pilk and just use our eyes to see what's actually going on.

If you watched the game last night and have any sense on the game of baseball, you would instantly realize he has arm fatigue. It's really not that difficult guys. His workload the last two years has been a lot because of the bullpen. And not just that, but he's been forced into difficult innings because our bullpen hasn't existed the last 2 years. So normally he would get pulled earlier because our bullpen can help out. So the extra innings aren't just extra innings, they are extra innings in the 5th, 6th, and 7th. Stress innings after he's thrown a crap ton. That's how you develop arm fatigue

msstate7
05-12-2018, 12:03 PM
Pitchers get fatigued. I'm stunned we now have people saying he's not a friday night guy when he's dominated so much in his career.

Folks, his arm is flat tired. Not everyone is built the same. He's a damn good pitcher but if you've never coached or played baseball this concept is foreign to you. You can't just go forever. He's tired and he needs a break. Everything he does shows signs of arm fatigue. That doesn't mean he sucks. Means he needs to rest. We need to get the hell off Pilk and just use our eyes to see what's actually going on.

If you watched the game last night and have any sense on the game of baseball, you would instantly realize he has arm fatigue. It's really not that difficult guys. His workload the last two years has been a lot because of the bullpen. And not just that, but he's been forced into difficult innings because our bullpen hasn't existed the last 2 years. So normally he would get pulled earlier because our bullpen can help out. So the extra innings aren't just extra innings, they are extra innings in the 5th, 6th, and 7th. Stress innings after he's thrown a crap ton. That's how you develop arm fatigue

He's been 85-88 all season. He was 92-93 freshman year. He's losing velocity, and it has been steady

msstate7
05-12-2018, 12:09 PM
About velocity... pilk's decline makes me wonder if Small's decline in velocity is more than just coming off injury. If small had his freshman velocity, he's a 2nd round pick easy. We need to figure out a way to improve our pitchers' velocity without going through elbows like freeze through hookers

I seen it dawg
05-12-2018, 12:17 PM

This is good analysis

I seen it dawg
05-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Like how mstate0 cranks a Pilk thread up as the continued abuse of his beloved continues. Not that it's inappropriate that Pilk gets some criticism, even tho i think he dead armed, but just typical.

At least Pilk has shown he is an SEC talent. Foambat never has.

msstate7
05-12-2018, 12:25 PM
Like how mstate0 cranks a Pilk thread up as the continued abuse of his beloved continues. Not that it's inappropriate that Pilk gets some criticism, even tho i think he dead armed, but just typical.

At least Pilk has shown he is an SEC talent. Foambat never has.

Career sec era is 4.46. He hasn't had an sec era below 4 since his freshman year. His era has steadily gone up as his velocity has gone down. What you guys don't get it is I'm pissed at our baseball program over this, not pilk. We completely blew a chance to have a real Friday night guy, but we haven't gotten more from him... we've gotten less. This is on our S&C program

ETA... all I did in this thread is use stats. Not sure why you hate stats so much. Show me some stats that support your position that pilk is an elite Friday night guy in the sec.

BB30
05-12-2018, 12:31 PM

If he can?t handle an sec workload on 6 days rest he will struggle to start at the next level handling a proffesional workload on 5 days.

My personal opinion is that When his stuff is working it plays a tick above average. When he isn?t at his best (which as a pitcher happens quite a bit more than having your best stuff) his stuff is a tick below average at the big league level. That is what separates big league starters is that they can still have success when they don?t have their best stuff. When his stuff is crisp he generates quite a bit of swing and miss out of the zone but when it?s not he doesn?t get those same swings and his stuff isn?t good enough right now to beat guys consistently in the strike zone.

For him to be successful at the next level he will have to improve his command in the strike zone IE get better at throwing less hittable strikes early in the count and creating more soft contact.

msstate7
05-12-2018, 12:34 PM
To show you how important velocity is to mlb scouts... the braves have a 20-year-old starting pitcher in AAA with a 2.12 era (career 2.92). He's the youngest pitcher in his AAA league. Stock should be skyrocketing, right? Nope, it's falling more and more. Here's why... he throws 89-92.

ETA... kolby allard, btw

BB30
05-12-2018, 12:40 PM
To show you how important velocity is to mlb scouts... the braves have a 20-year-old starting pitcher in AAA with a 2.12 era (career 2.92). He's the youngest pitcher in his AAA league. Stock should be skyrocketing, right? Nope, it's falling more and more. Here's why... he throws 89-92.

Pilks stuff isn’t elite he’s going to have to learn how to really pitch at the next level in order to have sustained success. That’s not saying he won’t end up having a nice career he’s just going to have to continue to learn how to pitch when he doesn’t have his best stuff which is the majority of the time for every pitcher.

msstate7
05-12-2018, 12:43 PM
Pilks stuff isn’t elite he’s going to have to learn how to really pitch at the next level in order to have sustained success. That’s not saying he won’t end up having a nice career he’s just going to have to continue to learn how to pitch when he doesn’t have his best stuff which is the majority of the time for every pitcher.

If he can't get above 86, he will have a very rough time in milb

Bully13
05-12-2018, 12:50 PM
No pitcher should be left in if his arm is fatigued just because the bullpen is shaky. that's asking for an injury. I certainly hope Henderson is not doing that.

BB30
05-12-2018, 12:51 PM
If he can't get above 86, he will have a very rough time in milb

Ultimately I don’t think his stuff is that bad. I think he will end up settling in in the 88-91 mph range once he is in a big league system and is doing it for his job.

If your left handed you don’t have to pitch at 92-94 to have success at the next level. Don’t get me wrong it helps he just has to get more consistent. I agree with you he isn’t elite and his stuff plays below average at the next level quite a bit but he has also had days where it plays a tick above. If he can find that happy medium he has a shot to be pretty good. He has the body, size and decent off speed. Don’t write him off yet.

msstate7
05-12-2018, 12:52 PM
If he can?t handle an sec workload on 6 days rest he will struggle to start at the next level handling a proffesional workload on 5 days.

My personal opinion is that When his stuff is working it plays a tick above average. When he isn?t at his best (which as a pitcher happens quite a bit more than having your best stuff) his stuff is a tick below average at the big league level. That is what separates big league starters is that they can still have success when they don?t have their best stuff. When his stuff is crisp he generates quite a bit of swing and miss out of the zone but when it?s not he doesn?t get those same swings and his stuff isn?t good enough right now to beat guys consistently in the strike zone.

For him to be successful at the next level he will have to improve his command in the strike zone IE get better at throwing less hittable strikes early in the count and creating more soft contact.

I think his offspeed stuff is good. His issue is when he's in a 2-1, 3-1 count, he can't just let his fastball fly down the middle. Sec hitters aren't swinging and missing on 86 mph fastballs in hitter counts

BB30
05-12-2018, 12:58 PM
I think his offspeed stuff is good. His issue is when he's in a 2-1, 3-1 count, he can't just let his fastball fly down the middle. Sec hitters aren't swinging and missing on 86 mph fastballs in hitter counts

That is exactly what I said two posts ago. He’s gotta learn to pitch without his best stuff and generate early soft contact/ have more command in the strike zone. He can throw strikes he just has to throw better strikes and stay in advantage counts. He will learn so much more once he is in a minor league system.

Right now he is pitching to win not to work on things at the next level he will be able to strictly focus on what he needs to work on without worrying about the Ws and Ls atleast for a while.

basedog
05-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Actually pitching is more about movement and location.

msstate7
05-12-2018, 01:45 PM
Actually pitching is more about movement and location.

Ross Mitchell should be debuting any day now in mlb then

Bulldog1
05-12-2018, 01:48 PM
Speaking of velocity dropping off a cliff, Julio Teheran says hello.

basedog
05-12-2018, 02:03 PM
Ross Mitchell should be debuting any day now in mlb then

Geez 7, do have I have to explain this in more simple terms? Greg Maddox was consistently in the 90's, dude threw location and had unreal movement. Plus, it all about MLB! I'm talking college baseball, not many make it to the show period.

Joh Harden was a master throwing low 80's. Ross Mitchell was a very good college pitcher. Let me know if you need more info*** Oh I'm laughing.

msstate7
05-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Speaking of velocity dropping off a cliff, Julio Teheran says hello.

Yep. And he is having to throw the slider way more than he ever has to succeed. His slider is very, very good though.

msstate7
05-12-2018, 02:12 PM
Geez 7, do have I have to explain this in more simple terms? Greg Maddox was consistently in the 90's, dude threw location and had unreal movement. Plus, it all about MLB! I'm talking college baseball, not many make it to the show period.

Joh Harden was a master throwing low 80's. Ross Mitchell was a very good college pitcher. Let me know if you need more info*** Oh I'm laughing.

I was playing. Of course location and movement are important, but you still have to have enough velocity or deception to use your fastball in hitters counts

basedog
05-12-2018, 02:21 PM
I was playing. Of course location and movement are important, but you still have to have enough velocity or deception to use your fastball in hitters counts

Joh Harden who you probably never saw pitch was just amazing, I think about watching him in the 90 Regional baffling good hitting teams such as a loaded Fsu hitting team with that "slow slow slow " changeup, then his blazing 80 MPH fastball which was all location!

Don't get my wrong, I would rather have a Nolan Ryan all day long with the great Mario Riveria and the one pitch with so much movement!

Lord McBuckethead
05-12-2018, 02:34 PM
Pilk will be fine. Just overworked right now.

MetEdDawg
05-12-2018, 02:39 PM
He's been 85-88 all season. He was 92-93 freshman year. He's losing velocity, and it has been steady

He was 90-91 to start the season so let's not go too far here. He has gotten progressively slower throughout the year as is normal with arm fatigue.

I'll say it again. If we win today and tomorrow against UK he needs to rest next weekend against UF. I think that would help him tremendously. And getting swept by UF is not going to break our season, especially if we find a way to win this series against UK

msstate7
05-12-2018, 02:46 PM
He was 90-91 to start the season so let's not go too far here. He has gotten progressively slower throughout the year as is normal with arm fatigue.

I'll say it again. If we win today and tomorrow against UK he needs to rest next weekend against UF. I think that would help him tremendously. And getting swept by UF is not going to break our season, especially if we find a way to win this series against UK

If you feel pilk needs rest after 77 ip, what about small? He will be at or close to the same number coming off TJ surgery. Pilk 108 ip last season

About the velocity... my first time to see a gun on pilk was at mizzou, and he was 88. Early in the season, when we were on tv there was no gun. Our first sec series vs vandy had no gun either. He could have been better than 88 early in the year... I just didn't see it

Bully13
05-12-2018, 02:51 PM
I thought radar guns were always at games. I think every pitch should be timed.

Bulldog1
05-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Pilk was throwing 91-92-93 mph when I was at the aTm game a couple of weeks ago.
ETA- But I think our stadium gun is probably off, so nevermind.

dawgoneyall
05-12-2018, 03:13 PM
The drop in velocity may well indicate some problem. If so he needs shut down now.
Will not be surprised if in the short future we hear something along this line.

MetEdDawg
05-12-2018, 03:34 PM
If you feel pilk needs rest after 77 ip, what about small? He will be at or close to the same number coming off TJ surgery. Pilk 108 ip last season

About the velocity... my first time to see a gun on pilk was at mizzou, and he was 88. Early in the season, when we were on tv there was no gun. Our first sec series vs vandy had no gun either. He could have been better than 88 early in the year... I just didn't see it

Like I said in an earlier post. Not every pitcher is the same. If they were, there's a lot more people out there that could coach baseball.

msstate7
05-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Pilk was throwing 91-92-93 mph when I was at the aTm game a couple of weeks ago.
ETA- But I think our stadium gun is probably off, so nevermind.

Like when Newcomb was throwing over 100? I was at that game vs Marlins lol

Bulldog1
05-12-2018, 03:44 PM
Like when Newcomb was throwing over 100? I was at that game vs Marlins lol
Haha.

The Federalist Engineer
05-12-2018, 03:59 PM
Another explanation:

Pilk is not overworked but rather is lacking from any peers to push him and any alternatives by us to pull him in an SEC 3rd inning.

Ford, Padgett, Breaux, James, McCord and Hughes would have pushed hard for Friday night leadership in 2017 and 2018 if had been healthy. Pilk is just the last man standing.

ERAs can go up if you are not pulled from a bad game and just soldier on to get shelled. No Girodo, Holder, Mitchell, Lindgren, or Young in the pen. He must eat innings way beyond actual effectiveness, or at least that's what GH is doing.

Also, competition sharpens us all up. If had a young and healthy Ashcraft trying to take the Friday job with all the Friday groupies, that would be motivation to limit team USA innings and prioritize Starkville innings. This years team doesn't even have a freshman pitcher.

Bully13
05-12-2018, 06:29 PM
Another explanation:

Pilk is not overworked but rather is lacking from any peers to push him and any alternatives by us to pull him in an SEC 3rd inning.

Ford, Padgett, Breaux, James, McCord and Hughes would have pushed hard for Friday night leadership in 2017 and 2018 if had been healthy. Pilk is just the last man standing.

ERAs can go up if you are not pulled from a bad game and just soldier on to get shelled. No Girodo, Holder, Mitchell, Lindgren, or Young in the pen. He must eat innings way beyond actual effectiveness, or at least that's what GH is doing.

Also, competition sharpens us all up. If had a young and healthy Ashcraft trying to take the Friday job with all the Friday groupies, that would be motivation to limit team USA innings and prioritize Starkville innings. This years team doesn't even have a freshman pitcher.

What if he has arm fatigue? You favor keeping him in due to a weak bull pen?

05-13-2018, 03:08 PM

He wasn't throwing any harder early on either, whoever said that was making stuff up, he's about the same now