PDA

View Full Version : Alexander

preachermatt83
05-11-2018, 11:57 PM
Belmont, foambat, whatever you want to call him is now batting .210 and is still batting cleanup. It's downright odd.

mstatefan91
05-12-2018, 12:18 AM
Belmont, foambat, whatever you want to call him is now batting .210 and is still batting cleanup. It's downright odd.

Agreed.. He has homerun potential.. but just damn.. bat him 6th-8th

Bulldog1
05-12-2018, 12:40 AM
Just move him down. He was 0-4 tonight, so that makes him something like 3-33 since being moved to batting cleanup. Put the boy somewhere between 7-9 in the lineup.

msstate7
05-12-2018, 06:22 AM
As hoops said in the game thread, batting order isn't as important as you think. With that said, I want my best hitters getting the most bats, so Luke needs to be toward the bottom of the order. We have an old school baseball coach though, so HRs and RBIs are what he wants in a clean up hitter. Luke leads in both. I would rather have my highest ops guys 1-5... Luke is not in that group

MetEdDawg
05-12-2018, 06:57 AM
Switch Stovall to 4th and bump Alexander down to 5th. Let Macnamee stay at 6th. Then never put Vansau in at DH and let Hatcher stay in. He's gonna take his lumps but he needs them.

basedog
05-12-2018, 07:35 AM
Belmont is a 8th hitter for this team at best, fact is he just isn't a starting SS in the Sec except dear ole State. Batting 4th with an average below .200 has to be a first in Msu baseball history, I have seen our future SS play this year but he is only a junior in H.S. Dude has some pop in his bat as well.

DawgRockur
05-12-2018, 08:26 AM

NonCoach34, that you? Need some magical coffee to feel better?

Ari Gold
05-12-2018, 10:04 AM
GET THIS KID OUT OF THE 4 HOLE...
we know he is going to play, right now he is being protected by one of the if not the hottest hitter on the team Stovall and he is still roughly 3 for his last 30..
so we know he is getting pitches to hit.

Move him to 9 hole so at least he still has some protection from Mangum.. and see if an get a hit or 2

ATTILLA THE DOG
05-12-2018, 10:24 AM
he cost us at least 4 runs last night in the field,not making plays(maybe out of position or his limited range) not making the play with 2 outs led to their 4 run inning.

basedog
05-12-2018, 11:35 AM
He does have limited foot speed, I think Stovall would be a much better SS.

msstate7
05-12-2018, 11:49 AM
He does have limited foot speed, I think Stovall would be a much better SS.

Maybe, but speed is a terrible way to judge a SS. Andrelton Simmons is the BEST defensive SS in the world, and he is probably the slowest SS in mlb. And no, I'm not comparing Alexander to Simmons.

One thing I have noticed about Alexander this season is he has very good range to his right, and not so good range to his left. What do our coaches do? Shade him more right for some dumb reason.

Both the suspect balls last night were to his left

basedog
05-12-2018, 12:04 PM
Maybe, but speed is a terrible way to judge a SS. Andrelton Simmons is the BEST defensive SS in the world, and he is probably the slowest SS in mlb. And no, I'm not comparing Alexander to Simmons.

One thing I have noticed about Alexander this season is he has very good range to his right, and not so good range to his left. What do our coaches do? Shade him more right for some dumb reason.

Range is important, his hands are ok getting the ball out of his glove, give me a kid who can go right or left, limited infielders with range create gaps and extra runs, example is when a man is on second and infielder can't get to the ball it creates runs scored.
He's just not a starting SS for Sec play. Maybe a better glove at 3rd but right now that would be a bad move. The James kid at Desoto Central is fairly tall and has shown to have good range, dude has some pop in his bat also. He's just a Junior but is committed to Msu as u probably know.

I seen it dawg
05-12-2018, 12:10 PM

Dude he's not an sec SS. Plain and simple. It's showing everyday he plays. Not defensively and damn sure not offensively. It's a travesty to the team and sucks for the kid he keeps getting run out there.

I seen it dawg
05-12-2018, 12:11 PM
When have a fairly good hitting team. Having a drop dead out at 4 is an offense killer. It makes the perception of our lineup that we struggle on offense.

msstate7
05-12-2018, 12:27 PM
Dude he's not an sec SS. Plain and simple. It's showing everyday he plays. Not defensively and damn sure not offensively. It's a travesty to the team and sucks for the kid he keeps getting run out there.

You realize this is the 3rd coach that's played him at SS here at state?

Bulldog1
05-12-2018, 12:33 PM

That doesn't make him a good shortstop.

msstate7
05-12-2018, 12:37 PM
That doesn't make him a good shortstop.
Pair it with him playing SS in cape cod league also, and it shows he is indeed a SS though

Bulldog1
05-12-2018, 12:44 PM
Pair it with him playing SS in cape cod league also, and it shows he is indeed a SS though
What makes you say that he's a good shortstop? Do you have stats or are you using the eye test?

I seen it dawg
05-12-2018, 12:48 PM

Yeah he is a SS. At Delta st maybe.

msstate7
05-12-2018, 12:48 PM
What makes you say that he's a good shortstop? Do you have stats or are you using the eye test?

There are no defensive metrics for college baseball. He looks to have good range right, only decent range left, and a plus arm. His range this season is not as good as his freshman year. Going left is starting to be an issue for him.

Now what do you support that he isn't a SS on?

I seen it dawg
05-12-2018, 12:50 PM

Gridley was the SS until this year. Who you chose over foambat. Henderson is a damn idiot which i don't think will get any argument. This was Foambats prove it year....and he has...

I seen it dawg
05-12-2018, 12:51 PM
There are no defensive metrics for college baseball. He looks to have good range right, only decent range left, and a plus arm. His range this season is not as good as his freshman year. Going left is starting to be an issue for him.

He's an average SEC defender at best. Eye test, stats, whatever the hell you want to use. He's being done wrong by henderson.

Bulldog1
05-12-2018, 12:52 PM

An unbiased eye test.

basedog
05-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Belmont was a better third baseman than SS, not sure why anyone thinks he is a Sec SS, he's not.

I agree with isid, sad we have to run the kid out there, it's not Belmont's fault.

I don't know who we have as a backup or who we got coming in next year to play SS, but lord knows we need one badly. I'm not sure who the worse ever at playing SS for Msu, but he's gotta be right there with whomever.

Tbonewannabe
05-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Gridley was the SS until this year. Who you chose over foambat. Henderson is a damn idiot which i don't think will get any argument. This was Foambats prove it year....and he has...

He obviously doesn't have the batting average for what you would want in the lineup much less at the 4 hole. I don't know why you use the dumbass nickname that Coach34 came up with. Hitting with a foam bat takes away all the pop, that is most definitely not his problem. Hell, he might benefit from not swinging so damn hard and just try to make solid contact. It is ridiculous to nickname the guy who leads the team in HRs foam bat. At least get creative with the dumb ass nicknames running our players down. At least when 34 called Dak "Checkdown Charlie", Dak did check down a lot. We later found out it was a lot to do with playing with broken ribs that no one knew about but still he did it.

After saying all of that, some guys don't have a good mind set for hitting 4th. On my high school team, I was hitting 7th - I was not a HR hitter, more driving into gap power. We kept having a merry go round at the 4th hole. Our guy hitting 6th who had some pop was hitting really well. Coach moved him to 4th and he immediately went into a slump until he was moved back to 6th. He finally moved me to 4th and I had no problem. I figure I was the only one he put there that wasn't trying to hit a HR. The hype with "hitting clean up" sometimes gets to people kind of like starting in basketball isn't always the best for every player. Stapleton was a lot better off the bench than when he started.

Ari Gold
05-12-2018, 05:41 PM
He isn’t a SEC everyday SS.. that’s the bottom line.
Everyone can go back and forth all they want . It doesn’t make a shit.

Ari Gold
05-12-2018, 05:47 PM
He obviously doesn't have the batting average for what you would want in the lineup much less at the 4 hole. I don't know why you use the dumbass nickname that Coach34 came up with. Hitting with a foam bat takes away all the pop, that is most definitely not his problem. Hell, he might benefit from not swinging so damn hard and just try to make solid contact. It is ridiculous to nickname the guy who leads the team in HRs foam bat. At least get creative with the dumb ass nicknames running our players down. At least when 34 called Dak "Checkdown Charlie", Dak did check down a lot. We later found out it was a lot to do with playing with broken ribs that no one knew about but still he did it.

After saying all of that, some guys don't have a good mind set for hitting 4th. On my high school team, I was hitting 7th - I was not a HR hitter, more driving into gap power. We kept having a merry go round at the 4th hole. Our guy hitting 6th who had some pop was hitting really well. Coach moved him to 4th and he immediately went into a slump until he was moved back to 6th. He finally moved me to 4th and I had no problem. I figure I was the only one he put there that wasn't trying to hit a HR. The hype with "hitting clean up" sometimes gets to people kind of like starting in basketball isn't always the best for every player. Stapleton was a lot better off the bench than when he started.

Not to keep harping on this but why does “foam bat” strike so many nerves???? When
Stone hands Morrow, IJ Glass, our FG kicker 2 years ago was basically getting death threats, Holloway got treated liked he was the worse player on the team, and Ado a true freshman gets called our more than he should and nobody has an issue with them. But heaven forbid this kid is given a nickname and folks go straight mommy/daddy on here... He plays every ****ing game and can barley hit above the Mendoza line.. instead of foam bat maybe it should be No bat..

preachermatt83
05-12-2018, 09:43 PM

Might wanna do a little research... c34 didn't come up with the "foambat" nickname

Todd4State
05-12-2018, 10:03 PM
Not to keep harping on this but why does “foam bat” strike so many nerves???? When
Stone hands Morrow, IJ Glass, our FG kicker 2 years ago was basically getting death threats, Holloway got treated liked he was the worse player on the team, and Ado a true freshman gets called our more than he should and nobody has an issue with them. But heaven forbid this kid is given a nickname and folks go straight mommy/daddy on here... He plays every ****ing game and can barley hit above the Mendoza line.. instead of foam bat maybe it should be No bat..

It does seem like our fans are a lot more sensitive when it comes to our baseball players for some reason. I can't figure it out either.

smootness
05-13-2018, 12:53 PM
It does seem like our fans are a lot more sensitive when it comes to our baseball players for some reason. I can't figure it out either.

Or perhaps we?ve had a problem with all those names because we don?t understand why Mississippi State fans would be tearing down our own players.

TNDawg35
05-13-2018, 01:05 PM
Isn't Westburg the SS in waiting?

I seen it dawg
05-13-2018, 01:18 PM
Isn't Westburg the SS in waiting?

Should be the SS playing but yes

Todd4State
05-13-2018, 01:28 PM
Or perhaps we?ve had a problem with all those names because we don?t understand why Mississippi State fans would be tearing down our own players.

That's fine but it still doesn't explain why it's more acceptable to do that to football and basketball players for most of our fans.

Bulldog1
05-13-2018, 01:41 PM
What position does JT Ginn play?

MarketingBully
05-13-2018, 01:43 PM

Unfortunately there are no good metrics for balls that get by him that are ruled basehits that somehow every shortstop we play against could get to. He does deserve the criticism IMO. He was the level of an All American out of high school and would be considered a high four star low five star if we were talking about basketball/football rankings. He was higher ranked then Mangum and yet here we are. If he was ranked that high and was a basketball or football player, our fans would massacre him and no one would stick up for him.

msstate7
05-13-2018, 01:44 PM
That's fine but it still doesn't explain why it's more acceptable to do that to football and basketball players for most of our fans.

I don't agree with doing to any of them. As a baseball player, it would suck to be ridiculed by your fan base, and have to pay to play at the same time

MarketingBully
05-13-2018, 01:45 PM
What position does JT Gina play?

He could play shortstop.

MaroonFlounder
05-13-2018, 02:43 PM
Ginn is not going to turn down 1.5 mil.

Tbonewannabe
05-13-2018, 03:24 PM
I don't agree with doing to any of them. As a baseball player, it would suck to be ridiculed by your fan base, and have to pay to play at the same time

I don't go to other team's message boards, does every fan base tear down their own like our fans do? I understand saying the guy shouldn't be batting at all much less clean up. I don't understand the dumb as 17 nick names.

yjnkdawg
05-13-2018, 08:20 PM
I don't go to other team's message boards, does every fan base tear down their own like our fans do? I understand saying the guy shouldn't be batting at all much less clean up. I don't understand the dumb as 17 nick names.

Because the ones who come up with these stupid nicknames, do it for their own fun, but it is nothing against our student athletes, which justifies it.***

yjnkdawg
05-13-2018, 08:27 PM

It shouldn't be acceptable for some message board poster to anoint any of our student athletes with their so-called "for their own fun nickname". These players (student athletes) are representing our university. The only nicknames that should be used are the ones that are given to our players by their peers, family, etc.

yjnkdawg
05-13-2018, 08:32 PM

THIS - Best post in the entire thread. IMO

Todd4State
05-14-2018, 12:33 AM
It shouldn't be acceptable for some message board poster to anoint any of our student athletes with their so-called "for their own fun nickname". These players (student athletes) are representing our university. The only nicknames that should be used are the ones that are given to our players by their peers, family, etc.

That's fine but I didn't see anyone jumping on anyone here for calling Joe Morrow "Stone Hands".

preachermatt83
05-14-2018, 08:38 AM
That's fine but I didn't see anyone jumping on anyone here for calling Joe Morrow "Stone Hands".

+1. Been saying this since this all began. I can only think of one reason.

smootness
05-14-2018, 10:12 AM

Who gives a crap how many people spoke up then? It doesn't justify continuing to do it now with someone else.

I stopped bringing up my displeasure with the nicknames because no one seemed to care and just let certain people do it. I always hated 'Stone Hands' just as much as any of the other nicknames.

Just stop doing it across the board.

Tbonewannabe
05-14-2018, 10:28 AM

It wasn't cool then either but there was probably 3 or 4 times it was mentioned whereas it seems like foambat is in every baseball thread 10 times along with having a separate thread. It is a lot more prevalent than Stone Hands or Checkdown Charlie. Also like someone else mentioned, Luke isn't even on a full scholarship so he is paying for the chance to put on the Maroon and White. He has walked off twice this year against Ole Miss so that should earn him enough gratitude to at least quit with the stupid nickname.

I am probably guilty of it also at some point but my opinion is that this horse is certainly dead. I can't remember Sam Frost having a dumb nickname even though a lot of the same things were said.

Tbonewannabe
05-14-2018, 10:32 AM
+1. Been saying this since this all began. I can only think of one reason.

Just so I understand, a supposed "preacher" is ok with running down a MSU player because another player was previously ran down. Someone is reading a different Bible than I am.

Homedawg
05-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Just so I understand, a supposed "preacher" is ok with running down a MSU player because another player was previously ran down. Someone is reading a different Bible than I am.

I know, amazing. Wonder if the good people at Longino would be so happy w that!? He's gonna run em all of to Spring Creek Baptist before its all said and done.

preachermatt83
05-14-2018, 11:41 AM
I know, amazing. Wonder if the good people at Longino would be so happy w that!? He's gonna run em all of to Spring Creek Baptist before its all said and done.

Lol Nah, new ones coming in every week. None of them are snowflakes though. The snowflakes tend to be the ones that leave.

preachermatt83
05-14-2018, 11:43 AM

Nope just think it's even more sorry to defend a white player while never saying a word when a black kid goes through the same thing.

tcdog70
05-14-2018, 11:45 AM

you had to dig deep for Joe--funny shit-to make a ridiculous point. You never did respond to how Selfish Mfer did yesterday--too busy looking up Joe Morrow, and you never said if you were ok with call our best player a Mfer.

tcdog70
05-14-2018, 11:45 AM
Nope just think it's even more sorry to defend a white player while never saying a word when a black kid goes through the same thing.

wow-stupid ass post-

preachermatt83
05-14-2018, 11:51 AM
wow-stupid ass post-

Truth hurts don't it.

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 11:54 AM
This Luke Alexander talk on here is a lot like the Q thing a couple of months ago IMO.

Ari Gold
05-14-2018, 12:15 PM
you had to dig deep for Joe--funny shit-to make a ridiculous point. You never did respond to how Selfish Mfer did yesterday--too busy looking up Joe Morrow, and you never said if you were ok with call our best player a Mfer.

I’m the one that called Jake a selfish MFer for that ONE AB he had on sat.
And he was.

smootness
05-14-2018, 12:18 PM

Hooooooooly crap.

Let me be clear:

Those who call Joe Morrow 'Stone Hands' suck.
Those who call Dak Prescott 'Checkdown Charlie' suck.
Those who call Luke Alexander 'Foambat' suck.

Those who call any Mississippi State athlete a derogatory nickname suck.

And yes, I have said this over and over about all kinds of athletes people did this with.

You post insults about college kids who play for the school you support and then defend yourself by calling others racist? Good one, bud. Quit posting.

mparkerfd20
05-14-2018, 12:22 PM
We had someone nicknamed Big Feces for crying out loud. Get over your damn selves!

preachermatt83
05-14-2018, 12:25 PM
Hooooooooly crap.

Let me be clear:

And yes, I have said this over and over about all kinds of athletes people did this with.

You post insults about college kids who play for the school you support and then defend yourself by calling others racist? Good one, bud. Quit posting.

Not at all. I think you misinterpreted my post. The point is what is good for the goose is good for the gander. It's not ok to defend luke and not defend Joe. It's as simple as that. And anyone who disagrees is not being rational. My point was an agreement with Todd when he asked a simple question... where were all of you when ppl were calling Joe stone hands? What's the difference? There is only one I can think of. That's the whole point. It's not ok to defend the white kid but not the black kid. Period.

smootness
05-14-2018, 12:28 PM
Not at all. I think you misinterpreted my post. The point is what is good for the goose is good for the gander. It's not ok to defend luke and not defend Joe. It's as simple as that. And anyone who disagrees is not being rational. My point was an agreement with Todd when he asked a simple question... where were all of you when ppl were calling Joe stone hands? What's the difference? There is only one I can think of. That's the whole point. It's not ok to defend the white kid but not the black kid. Period.

So the people who threw out the insults are not the ones in the wrong, it's the ones who didn't say enough against it?

Holy crap, man.

And I was right freaking there...saying the nickname was stupid. Just as I have every nickname meant to be an insult that has ever been used against a Mississippi State athlete. Pretending everyone was ok with 'Stone Hands' is wrong.

And I agree with your overall point - these nicknames are awful and our athletes should all be defended against them. Glad we agree on that. Now stop using them and defending those who do.

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 12:40 PM

I think it has more to do with the fact that Luke has won a few games for us this year, like Q in basketball. My question is if some nickname was said about Skelton, would the same amount of people defending Skelton.

Tbonewannabe
05-14-2018, 12:49 PM
So the people who threw out the insults are not the ones in the wrong, it's the ones who didn't say enough against it?

Holy crap, man.

And I was right freaking there...saying the nickname was stupid. Just as I have every nickname meant to be an insult that has ever been used against a Mississippi State athlete. Pretending everyone was ok with 'Stone Hands' is wrong.

And I agree with your overall point - these nicknames are awful and our athletes should all be defended against them. Glad we agree on that. Now stop using them and defending those who do.

Joe also probably around dropped 10 passes his senior year. It was probably never said outside of a game thread. I will say I never understood Big Feces also. That is a lot worse than foambat and shouldn't be used. Any derogatory name toward someone isn't right and shows more about the person saying it than it does that individual. Making fun of someone who isn't excelling at D1 sports is moronic since pretty much everyone on this board wouldn't even make the practice squad at MSU.
Everyone says or types some dumb shit occasionally, hopefully you figure it out and correct yourself.

Tbonewannabe
05-14-2018, 12:55 PM
I think it has more to do with the fact that Luke has won a few games for us this year, like Q in basketball. My question is if some nickname was said about Skelton, would the same amount of people defending Skelton.

Sam Frost wasn't any better than Luke and he didn't warrant a nickname. I probably think most of it is due to people are mad that Luke isn't living up to hype.

Liverpooldawg
05-14-2018, 01:00 PM
Hooooooooly crap.

Let me be clear:

This! It says WAY more about the person using the nicknames than it does about the one they are insulting. I'm glad I don't go to this so-called preacher's Church.

preachermatt83
05-14-2018, 01:02 PM
This! It says WAY more about the person using the nicknames than it does about the one they are insulting. I'm glad I don't go to this so-called preacher's Church.

You prob wouldn't like it... we don't pander to liberals.

tcdog70
05-14-2018, 01:06 PM
Truth hurts don't it.

WTF does that mean? truth about what-that you might qualify as an idiot?

preachermatt83
05-14-2018, 01:07 PM
WTF does that mean? truth about what-that you might qualify as an idiot?

Lol. Nice one.

tcdog70
05-14-2018, 01:09 PM
I?m the one that called Jake a selfish MFer for that ONE AB he had on sat.
And he was.

ok--way to take credit as the originator . hope you feel better. I was talking to Ole Todd--thanks for jumping in to let everyone know you taking credit for calling our player a mfer.

Todd4State
05-14-2018, 01:41 PM

Joe Morrow was mentioned on the first page of this thread. And I never saw you defending Morrow either- so my "ridiculous point" about the double standard among MSU fan remains.

It's ridiculous that some of our fans are sensitive about players that they aren't even related to. Some of it is about being "internet cool". And I've had Sports Illustrated call a family member an "air head" before and no one in my immediate family got in as much of a tizzy about it as you about LA. (Is that OK to call him LA or is that offensive because he might not like California?) And that's just one example of something my family member was called so I know what it's like on the family side of it.

The reality of things right or wrong- "wrong" in this case- is that the further you go along in baseball the more you are going to be exposed to fans "who care". And when people care and things aren't going well they get frustrated because they don't have control over what happens on the field and that leads to anger- which leads to them saying things about the players that they probably shouldn't say. It is what it is- but it gets worse as they go further in their baseball career. Ask anyone that has played in New York City. Or any MLB town. So, if these players at MSU intend to go beyond MSU they need to learn how to ignore this kind of stuff now- or they can transfer to Arkansas State where they won't get called names. But they also won't get to play in front of people or in a league like the SEC or have the facilities that they are given here.

And I very rarely if ever call our players nickname other than something like LA- feel free to search my posts- but I also don't think I'm better than anyone else who does to the point where I feel like I need to take some moral stand against those that do. In fact if you ignore it the name calling will probably stop.

preachermatt83
05-14-2018, 01:48 PM
Joe Morrow was mentioned on the first page of this thread. And I never saw you defending Morrow either- so my "ridiculous point" about the double standard among MSU fan remains.

It's ridiculous that some of our fans are sensitive about players that they aren't even related to. Some of it is about being "internet cool". And I've had Sports Illustrated call a family member an "air head" before and no one in my immediate family got in as much of a tizzy about it as you about LA. (Is that OK to call him LA or is that offensive because he might not like California?) And that's just one example of something my family member was called so I know what it's like on the family side of it.

The reality of things right or wrong- "wrong" in this case- is that the further you go along in baseball the more you are going to be exposed to fans "who care". And when people care and things aren't going well they get frustrated because they don't have control over what happens on the field and that leads to anger- which leads to them saying things about the players that they probably shouldn't say. It is what it is- but it gets worse as they go further in their baseball career. Ask anyone that has played in New York City. Or any MLB town. So, if these players at MSU intend to go beyond MSU they need to learn how to ignore this kind of stuff now- or they can transfer to Arkansas State where they won't get called names. But they also won't get to play in front of people or in a league like the SEC or have the facilities that they are given here.

And I very rarely if ever call our players nickname other than something like LA- feel free to search my posts- but I also don't think I'm better than anyone else who does to the point where I feel like I need to take some moral stand against those that do. In fact if you ignore it the name calling will probably stop.

Outstanding post!!

smootness
05-14-2018, 02:15 PM

So here are a couple points you've made in this post:

1) Why care at all about people who aren't your family?
2) Athletes will be called names at some point in their careers, so why not have our own fans do it to them?

Why are people becoming more upset over those who have an issue with our fans insulting our athletes than with those doing the insulting? That seems to be the real question here. You admit yourself these are things people shouldn't be saying. Seems like the best way to get it to stop is to call out those who do it and force them to stop.

I seen it dawg
05-14-2018, 02:27 PM
You people should hear yourselves.....

yjnkdawg
05-14-2018, 02:35 PM
You people should hear yourselves.....

Which people? All or just a certain group?

smootness
05-14-2018, 02:42 PM
Lay off, I didn't have my morning coffee.

tcdog70
05-14-2018, 02:52 PM
Lay off, I didn't have my morning coffee.

ha, I find it amazing we agree with each other.

tcdog70
05-14-2018, 02:53 PM

you said a lot of shit--but failed to answer my questions?

smootness
05-14-2018, 02:55 PM
ha, I find it amazing we agree with each other.

I think you and I would get along pretty well

Liverpooldawg
05-14-2018, 02:55 PM
You prob wouldn't like it... we don't pander to liberals.

LOL. I'm not a liberal, "preacher*****". Ask some of the folks who were on the political board before I got banned by 61. That's funny that is!!!

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 03:22 PM
I'm not siding with Liverpooldawg in this argument, but I can vouch that he is not a liberal. If he were a liberal, he wouldn't have been banned from the political board.

Todd4State
05-14-2018, 03:43 PM
you said a lot of shit--but failed to answer my questions?

I thought it was established that I never called Jake a MFer? If not- I didn't. And I don't think it's right to do so. But I also don't think it's my place to tell people what it right or wrong. And if I did think it was my place I would be consistent across the board with it and not hold the baseball players to a different standard.

I already told you I saw the comment about Joe Morrow earlier in the thread so I didn't "dig" for it.

preachermatt83
05-14-2018, 03:44 PM
LOL. I'm not a liberal, "preacher*****". Ask some of the folks who were on the political board before I got banned by 61. That's funny that is!!!

My apologies then.

Todd4State
05-14-2018, 03:58 PM
So here are a couple points you've made in this post:

1) Why care at all about people who aren't your family?
2) Athletes will be called names at some point in their careers, so why not have our own fans do it to them?

Why are people becoming more upset over those who have an issue with our fans insulting our athletes than with those doing the insulting? That seems to be the real question here. You admit yourself these are things people shouldn't be saying. Seems like the best way to get it to stop is to call out those who do it and force them to stop.

1) The question you should be asking is what do I get out of defending a player? Essentially it's another form of trying to get power and control- but instead of targeting the player you are taking their side and trying to control the people making fun of them even though aside from them being on your team you have no personal stake in the matter. My point was I have been on the side of people that have been made fun of on an athletic stage and so I know what it's like to have that happen. The reality is if you are in this sport you are not going to make every fan happy every time even if you are Babe Ruth. Every player should understand that and understand that is something that they are going to have to deal with the further they go along. Essentially in my field it would be understanding the fact that I am going to have to deal with angry patients and family members from time to time and accepting that's the reality of what I face in my job every day.

2) My point is that people do things that they shouldn't but just because they do it doesn't mean that it's your place to correct them. Do you try to turn in everyone that is speeding? Do you try to intervene with everyone that is mean to their waiter? Do you try to stop people from calling our football players names on the Internet? You can't control what other people do but you can control yourself and when you try to call those people out what you are essentially doing is giving them control and attention- which is what they want- and it actually will probably have the opposite effect of what you are going for. Assuming your intentions are well placed and that you're not going for power yourself. So, by modeling not calling our players names and not highlighting those that do and giving them power you are actually doing more to achieve your desired effect than you are by trying to "force them to stop".

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 04:06 PM
Whether or not you agree with the nicknames and stuff, I would hope we can all agree that he needs to be batting somewhere 7-9 in the lineup. That's the bottom line.

tcdog70
05-14-2018, 04:13 PM
1) The question you should be asking is what do I get out of defending a player? Essentially it's another form of trying to get power and control- but instead of targeting the player you are taking their side and trying to control the people making fun of them even though aside from them being on your team you have no personal stake in the matter. My point was I have been on the side of people that have been made fun of on an athletic stage and so I know what it's like to have that happen. The reality is if you are in this sport you are not going to make every fan happy every time even if you are Babe Ruth. Every player should understand that and understand that is something that they are going to have to deal with the further they go along. Essentially in my field it would be understanding the fact that I am going to have to deal with angry patients and family members from time to time and accepting that's the reality of what I face in my job every day.

2) My point is that people do things that they shouldn't but just because they do it doesn't mean that it's your place to correct them. Do you try to turn in everyone that is speeding? Do you try to intervene with everyone that is mean to their waiter? Do you try to stop people from calling our football players names on the Internet? You can't control what other people do but you can control yourself and when you try to call those people out what you are essentially doing is giving them control and attention- which is what they want- and it actually will probably have the opposite effect of what you are going for. Assuming your intentions are well placed and that you're not going for power yourself. So, by modeling not calling our players names and not highlighting those that do and giving them power you are actually doing more to achieve your desired effect than you are by trying to "force them to stop".

Good Lord --please stop!

smootness
05-14-2018, 04:15 PM

Holy crap

Just don't publicly insult athletes at Mississippi State. It's a pretty simple idea.

tcdog70
05-14-2018, 04:18 PM
I thought it was established that I never called Jake a MFer? If not- I didn't. And I don't think it's right to do so. But I also don't think it's my place to tell people what it right or wrong. And if I did think it was my place I would be consistent across the board with it and not hold the baseball players to a different standard.

I already told you I saw the comment about Joe Morrow earlier in the thread so I didn't "dig" for it.

i never said you did call Jake anything-I just asked did you approve of calling Bulldogs mfers. you never answered the question--although you did ramble on for a long time about something. You also asked Me how his swinging at the first pitch turn out and I answered. But when I asked you how He did Sunday--not a peep--and this from someone who will write a novel at the drop of a hat. You had no problem jumping into the conversation I was having with Ari. but when you threw your expert views in, I asked for a response you dodged like a -a-a well a mfer.

Todd4State
05-14-2018, 04:42 PM
i never said you did call Jake anything-I just asked did you approve of calling Bulldogs mfers. you never answered the question--although you did ramble on for a long time about something. You also asked Me how his swinging at the first pitch turn out and I answered. But when I asked you how He did Sunday--not a peep--and this from someone who will write a novel at the drop of a hat. You had no problem jumping into the conversation I was having with Ari. but when you threw your expert views in, I asked for a response you dodged like a -a-a well a mfer.

I didn't see your answer Jake swinging at the first pitch which I why I didn't answer nor did I see you ask me how he did Sunday. You asked me if I approved of Jake being called a MFer and I didn't- so oddly enough you have now called me a mfer?

Interesting.

I jumped in the conversation with you and Ari because you acted like you thought Jake swinging at the first pitch was a good baseball move and I told you why it wasn't. Not because you had an issue with Ari calling him a MFer. But if you still don't agree with me about the baseball logic of it feel free to ask any baseball coach that you trust about what you should do as the leadoff hitter when your team is down three runs and I don't think any of them will answer with swing at the first pitch. That doesn't even include the caveat that the pitcher for Kentucky was wild and there is a good chance that had Jake been patient he would have either walked or gotten a much better pitch to hit later in the count.

As far as how Jake did Sunday- he went 3-6 with a double and 2 RBI's. He is a very good player that will be drafted in the top 5 rounds this year. But while he is a good baseball player his last AB on Saturday was not a good AB or good baseball and he would probably agree with me on that too.

Todd4State
05-14-2018, 04:43 PM
Holy crap

Just don't publicly insult athletes at Mississippi State. It's a pretty simple idea.

Or maybe the simple idea is to stop trying to tell people what to do?

yjnkdawg
05-14-2018, 05:00 PM
Holy crap

It's so simple of a solution but some just can't seem to comprehend it. I got called out a while back on me criticizing these stupid nicknames, by a former poster, that some on here, believed he could do no wrong. I guess that's what makes it seems right in some minds on here. To the best of my knowledge the OM boards don't even do this crap on their student athletes.

Liverpooldawg
05-14-2018, 05:32 PM
Bad stats, bad performances .....those are always fair game. I just don't understand people who feel the need to personally belittle and insult those that wear our colors.

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 05:37 PM
Bad stats, bad performances .....those are always fair game. I just don't understand people who feel the need to personally belittle and insult those that wear our colors.

Again, not defending the name but "Foambat" is not "personally belittling," it was simply directed toward his performance at the plate- nothing personal about it imo.

yjnkdawg
05-14-2018, 06:06 PM
Again, not defending the name but "Foambat" is not "personally belittling," it was simply directed toward his performance at the plate- nothing personal about it imo.

If it was directed at Luke's performance at the plate, then shouldn't it have said something like "Luke hits with a foambat" or something similar. So calling one of our players "foambat" or some other stupid nickname isn't personally belittling or insulting them? Gotcha...... And this comment that it's "just for only our fun" is a piece of crap. IMO.

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 06:15 PM
If it was directed at Luke's performance at the plate, then shouldn't it have said something like "Luke hits with a foambat" or something similar. So calling one of our players "foambat" or some other stupid nickname isn't personally belittling or insulting them? Gotcha...... And this comment that it's "just for only our fun" is a piece of crap. IMO.
That was the context it was used in.
Here's where it originated-
https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?64950-Houston-baseball-thread/page2
Post #44.

msstate7
05-14-2018, 06:23 PM
That was the context it was used in.
Here's where it originated-
https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?64950-Houston-baseball-thread/page2
Post #44.

Post #60 by same poster...

"**** Mangum. 1 out. So tired"

But hey, I'm sure it was all in good fun

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 06:28 PM

I see y'all keep quoting "All in good fun" and I'm just wondering where are y'all getting this from? Who said that? Is it in this thread? Because if it is, I missed it.

tcdog70
05-14-2018, 06:31 PM
I didn't see your answer Jake swinging at the first pitch which I why I didn't answer nor did I see you ask me how he did Sunday. You asked me if I approved of Jake being called a MFer and I didn't- so oddly enough you have now called me a mfer?

Interesting

I jumped in the conversation with you and Ari because you acted like you thought Jake swinging at the first pitch was a good baseball move and I told you why it wasn't. Not because you had an issue with Ari calling him a MFer. But if you still don't agree with me about the baseball logic of it feel free to ask any baseball coach that you trust about what you should do as the leadoff hitter when your team is down three runs and I don't think any of them will answer with swing at the first pitch. That doesn't even include the caveat that the pitcher for Kentucky was wild and there is a good chance that had Jake been patient he would have either walked or gotten a much better pitch to hit later in the count.

As far as how Jake did Sunday- he went 3-6 with a double and 2 RBI's. He is a very good player that will be drafted in the top 5 rounds this year. But while he is a good baseball player his last AB on Saturday was not a good AB or good baseball and he would probably agree with me on that too.

I guess I should have used ***. I thought you might spot the sarcasm. I said LIKE a Mfer, I don'tknow you , so you might or might not be a Mfer. Hope not one. Let's move on, hope you have a nice day.

I seen it dawg
05-14-2018, 06:33 PM
Which people? All or just a certain group?

Those that get so bent about a name. It's a word and people are too damn soft to let it effect them. I have to believe Alexander gives it no thought. And if he does.....well...

And truth be told it did start as "sounded like he hits it with a foam bat". And it's grown as it's become apparent that it antagonizes the absolute shit out of a lot of posters so it's stuck.

tcdog70
05-14-2018, 06:37 PM
Those that get so bent about a name. It's a word and people are too damn soft to let it effect them. I have to believe Alexander gives it no thought. And if he does.....well...

And truth be told it did start as "sounded like he hits it with a foam bat". And it's grown as it's become apparent that it antagonizes the absolute shit out of a lot of posters so it's stuck.

Of course it doesn't hurt that it generates large thread count right?

I seen it dawg
05-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Of course it doesn't hurt that it generates large thread count right?

No it doesn't i guess. However it's gonna take a lot more than foambat pissing contests to pay the mortgage contrary to what you may think. Click an ad while you're here thanks.

Liverpooldawg
05-14-2018, 07:11 PM

Others see it differently.

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 07:13 PM
Others see it differently.

Well, they see it wrong.

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 07:43 PM

I see y'all keep quoting "All in good fun" and I'm just wondering where are y'all getting this from? Who said that? Is it in this thread? Because if it is, I missed it.

msstate7
05-14-2018, 07:51 PM

Ok, it wasn't in good fun... I guess it was just a personal attack on a kid.

I seen it dawg
05-14-2018, 07:52 PM

Thanks for bringing up that old thread. Some real gems from some posters in there.

I seen it dawg
05-14-2018, 07:53 PM

It wasn't saying **** Mangum like he could go **** himself. It was the same as sh*t Mangum why did you do that. But you read emotion into texts too I'm sure.

Ari Gold
05-14-2018, 07:55 PM

Holy shit... this is amazing
You honestly think some on here have a personal axe to grind or take personal shots at a kid that play at Ms State ... ?
Wow..

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 07:56 PM
It wasn't saying **** Mangum like he could go **** himself. It was the same as sh*t Mangum. But you read emotion into texts too I'm sure.

I read it as being upset that he bunted into an out on the first pitch of the at bat (judging off of post #59).

msstate7
05-14-2018, 07:56 PM
It wasn't saying **** Mangum like he could go **** himself. It was the same as sh*t Mangum. But you read emotion into texts too I'm sure.

Well Jake is a selfish MF, so **** em, right?**

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 07:57 PM
Thanks for bringing up that old thread. Some real gems from some posters in there.

Yeah, some good old posters in that thread.

msstate7
05-14-2018, 07:58 PM
Holy shit... this is amazing
You honestly think some on here have a personal axe to grind or take personal shots at a kid that play at Ms State ... ?
Wow..

You're really strange to respond to the same post with your primary and alter. Weirdo

I seen it dawg
05-14-2018, 07:59 PM
Well Jake is a selfish MF, so **** em, right?**

He's had plenty of at bats in his career where he damn sure was. Mandumb would hit .380+ the last 2 years if he wouldn't try to hit every damn pitch thrown to him. He should have been broken of that by March of last year.

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 08:00 PM
But hey, Pilk is average! ** Is that a personal attack? Can't have it both ways.

I seen it dawg
05-14-2018, 08:01 PM
You're really strange to respond to the same post with your primary and alter. Weirdo

Hahahahaha you haven't hit on that one in awhile. Actually wondered today whether you would pop that out. You chose Gridley remember. And you called Pilk our best player....

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 08:02 PM
Hahahahaha you haven't hit on that one in awhile. Actually wondered today whether you would pop that out. You chose Gridley remember. And you called Pilk our best player....

He really say that? Lol. AVERAGE!!! **

msstate7
05-14-2018, 08:03 PM
But hey, Pilk is average! ** Is that a personal attack? Can't have it both ways.

Is this a serious question? No, that isn't a personal attack. Geez

I seen it dawg
05-14-2018, 08:04 PM

It's in the old Houston game thread you brought from the coffin. Foambat7 was all over it defending it.

Ari Gold
05-14-2018, 08:04 PM

It’s awesome you think me and ISID are the same poster... that shows my greatness of a poster that someone thinks I have a primary and alter..

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 08:05 PM

Yeah we hear every Friday "Pilk is average" but don't you dare say anything about Luke Alexander. He's untouchable. Reminds me of one of our basketball players.

I seen it dawg
It’s awesome you think me and ISID are the same poster... that shows my greatness of a poster that someone thinks I have a primary and alter..

You are a great poster

Homedawg
It's so simple of a solution but some just can't seem to comprehend it. I got called out a while back on me criticizing these stupid nicknames, by a former poster, that some on here, believed he could do no wrong. I guess that's what makes it seems right in some minds on here. To the best of my knowledge the OM boards don't even do this crap on their student athletes.

Preacher is a shitty poster. So there's that...

msstate7
05-14-2018, 08:06 PM

Pilk was outstanding till he faced sec hitters. I thought he had turned a corner, but I was clearly wrong. He fooled me

I seen it dawg
05-14-2018, 08:09 PM
Pilk was outstanding till he faced sec hitters. I thought he had turned a corner, but I was clearly wrong. He fooled me

It's ok it happens a lot to you. But i wasn't fooled when i said foambat would never come out unless hurt and would get abused by sec pitchers.

Tbonewannabe
05-14-2018, 08:09 PM

I guess it depends on how close Pilk is to the average in statistics for a Friday night starter in the SEC. No one thinks Alexander is a good hitter but he isn't hitting with a foambat just like Dak didn't just check down every play. I don't get why people don't understand intent. When referring to someone with a derogatory name, the intent is to belittle that person. I am sure you have been called a p*$$& before but I doubt that person saying that thought you have a ******.

Homedawg
05-14-2018, 08:11 PM

I've stayed out of this because it's comical and silly. However, msstate is right and has been, he's an average fri night starter in our league. That's not talking down to him, that's telling the truth. He got bashed for it. But it's what it is. He didn't say he sucked just he's avg as Friday night starter. And in this league that gets you drafted. And sometimes high

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 08:12 PM
I've stayed out of this because it's comical and silly. However, msstate is right and has been, he's an average fri night starter in our league. That's not talking down to him, that's telling the truth. He got bashed for it. But it's what it is. He didn't say he sucked just he's avg as Friday night starter. And in this league that gets you drafted. And sometimes high

Oh I'm not arguing that. My problem is that he can say that but always stands up to just about any criticism of Alexander.

Ari Gold
05-14-2018, 08:13 PM
I will go ahead and clear this up.
I wasn’t calling Jake Mangum a mother ****er. But it was a mother ****ing selfish ass AB . Which I explained .

If some one here can’t decipher that then you prob don’t need to be on message board.

Ari Gold
05-14-2018, 08:14 PM
You are a great poster

Thanks.. I think I am too. As are you.

Tbonewannabe
05-14-2018, 08:15 PM

Pilk has regressed for whatever reason along with most of the team. Last year he was throwing low 90s in the 7th inning and this year it is high 80s. He probably needed his pitch count lowered but it is 100 or bust every week.

yjnkdawg
05-14-2018, 08:19 PM

Your comment was an opinion, and not a personal attack, and anybody should be able to comprehend that. The comparison was like comparing apples to oranges.

Ari Gold
05-14-2018, 08:20 PM
I will be the first to admit . Pilk has stunk it up the last month. No way that guy shouldn’t be dominating more.
Projected 1st round draft picks entering their Jr season should be dominate.
But he does have the talent to take the mound Thursday and shove it up Fla ass. There is just no reason to think he will based on what he has done last handful of starts.

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 08:21 PM

I know. I don't think any of these are personal attacks.

I seen it dawg
05-14-2018, 08:22 PM
I will be the first to admit . Pilk has stunk it up the last month. No way that guy shouldn’t be dominating more.
But he does have the talent to take the mound Thursday and shove it up Fla ass. There is just no reason to think he will based on what he has done last handful of starts.

I agree

msstate7
05-14-2018, 08:24 PM

Really hope he shows up big time and leads us to postseason. I hope I'm ridiculed big time after he closes with a bang. I want that... more than anything

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 08:25 PM
Really hope he shows up big time and leads us to postseason. I hope I'm ridiculed big time after he closes with a bang. I want that... more than anything

Great post. I respect that. And I want that as well.

Bass Chaser
05-14-2018, 08:29 PM
Cohen must have read this thread before commenting during the game on Sunday.

tcdog70
05-14-2018, 08:30 PM
Pilk, would have great Stats and won- loss record if He started on Sat. Plus Ray Charles could see that if we wanted to be sure and make the tourney Pitch Pilk on Sat and Small on Sunday. Don't waste our best Pitcher when He isn't as good as other teams Friday Pitcher.

Bulldog1
05-14-2018, 08:32 PM
Pilk, would have great Stats and won- loss record if He started on Sat. Plus Ray Charles could see that if we wanted to be sure and make the tourney Pitch Pilk on Sat and Small on Sunday. Don't waste our best Pitcher when He isn't as good as other teams Friday Pitcher.

I've been saying this for 2 months now. But we have a guy who thinks he's Bobby Cox managing the team, and he doesn't think so.

smootness
05-14-2018, 10:21 PM
Or maybe the simple idea is to stop trying to tell people what to do?

You sound like a child.

?But I WANT to insult people!?

smootness
05-14-2018, 10:29 PM

Well that?s asinine. Of course it?s personal and intended to belittle.

Todd4State
05-14-2018, 10:33 PM
You sound like a child.

?But I WANT to insult people!?

Except that I haven't insulted any players.

preachermatt83
05-14-2018, 10:58 PM

Maybe you were a kid at 21 but I sure wasn't. I was a grown man!!

msstate7
05-14-2018, 11:10 PM
Maybe you were a kid at 21 but I sure wasn't. I was a grown man!!

I don't know you, but reading the comments of your peers in this thread isn't an endorsement of your maturity at your current age (whatever that may be).

yjnkdawg
05-14-2018, 11:41 PM
I don't know you, but reading the comments of your peers in this thread isn't an endorsement of your maturity at your current age (whatever that may be).

Excellent point 7.

yjnkdawg
05-14-2018, 11:43 PM
I will be the first to admit . Pilk has stunk it up the last month. No way that guy shouldn?t be dominating more.

I think Pilk changed his game plan back when he was not getting the run support. I think he was pressing and putting more pressure on himself trying to make pitches in certain counts that he would have normally not done if he had the run support to back him up. Not having the run support is frustrating, even if a pitcher says it isn't, and has to have some type of effect or a psychological factor on your pitching performance to some extent. Now it seems his balls just don't have the velocity, movement, and accuracy that he used to have, and he seems to be worn down, but stress will do that. Great post Ari.

preachermatt83
05-14-2018, 11:55 PM

This coming from the guy who is known for his innate ability to whine throughout entire game threads.

Todd4State
05-14-2018, 11:56 PM
I think Pilk changed his game plan back when he was not getting the run support. I think he was pressing and putting more pressure on himself trying to make pitches in certain counts that he would have normally not done if he had the run support to back him up. Not having the run support is frustrating, even if a pitcher says it isn't, and has to have some type of effect or a psychological factor on your pitching performance to some extent. Now it seems his balls just don't have the velocity, movement, and accuracy that he used to have, and he seems to be worn down, but stress will do that. Great post Ari.

So will throwing 95+ and usually 100+ pitches every start over the last nine starts no matter how many runs you allow.

yjnkdawg
05-15-2018, 02:22 PM
So will throwing 95+ and usually 100+ pitches every start over the last nine starts no matter how many runs you allow.

I agree there too, Todd. It seems like he has to get to a certain point in the game, no matter what his velocity, accuracy, pitch count or the score, before we have any reliever that can find their way to the pitching mound.

Homedawg
05-15-2018, 06:55 PM
This coming from the guy who is known for his innate ability to whine throughout entire game threads.

This coming from a preacher who belittles more of our players than dang near the entire board. So there's that.