PDA

View Full Version : Ok...So we need 4 more SEC wins to qualify for Regional play.....

Pit Bull
05-10-2018, 06:42 PM
....that would put us at 15-15. Question......do wins/losses in the SEC Tourney count toward qualifying for a Regional also? No matter how you figure it.....we will have to play our best ball ever during these final two weekends to have any chance at all. SEC standings are tight all the way around except for a couple SEC teams. Thus, we control our own destiny in what may be the most difficult year ever in MSU baseball.

confucius say
05-10-2018, 07:04 PM
You just have to have a winning record overall to qualify for a regional. Not a winning record in sec play. 14-16 in sec play should put us in good shape.

But yes, your games in Hoover are taken into consideration by the committee.

Jarius
05-10-2018, 07:08 PM
....that would put us at 15-15. Question......do wins/losses in the SEC Tourney count toward qualifying for a Regional also? No matter how you figure it.....we will have to play our best ball ever during these final two weekends to have any chance at all. SEC standings are tight all the way around except for a couple SEC teams. Thus, we control our own destiny in what may be the most difficult year ever in MSU baseball.

We don't need 4 more wins. We need 3 at the very most and probably 2

Bulldog1
05-10-2018, 07:10 PM

Yep. You don't have to have a winning conference record to qualify for a regional.

Leroy Jenkins
05-10-2018, 07:12 PM
SEC tourney is single elimination 1st round then double, double, double, then single again..... I think. So if you are only one game over .500 going into the tourney you'd be better off losing the 1st game, unless you have the pitching to make a run.

Saltydog
05-10-2018, 07:29 PM
don't have a very long history with MSU baseball. 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2015 were all worse than this season. The 2010 team went 6-24 in the league.

confucius say
05-10-2018, 09:04 PM
don't have a very long history with MSU baseball. 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2015 were all worse than this season. The 2010 team went 6-24 in the league.

I think he meant difficult in the circumstances faced, like no home field for a while, AC~>LB, and arm injuries. Not difficult as in worse team.

confucius say
05-10-2018, 09:05 PM

If we only win 2 we better win some in Hoover and get RPI inside top 30.

Jarius
05-10-2018, 09:22 PM
If we only win 2 we better win some in Hoover and get RPI inside top 30.

That would make me more comfortable but it's unlikely we will need that.

Pit Bull
05-10-2018, 10:05 PM

Not so much results....but the deal with Canny, Hendy having to take on an unexpected role, the players effected, Cohen having to scramble about, playing in a half built stadium, and yes, all the TJ arm issues. Can't ever remember having to deal with so much and I have been watching MSU baseball since Paul Gregory. I saw the cow pasture that was to be the new Dudy Noble Field location plush with about 2,000 wooden seats which resembles a high school stadium nowadays. So yeah, I would say I have had a fairly long history with MSU Baseball.

Todd4State
05-11-2018, 12:51 AM
Not so much results....but the deal with Canny, Hendy having to take on an unexpected role, the players effected, Cohen having to scramble about, playing in a half built stadium, and yes, all the TJ arm issues. Can't ever remember having to deal with so much and I have been watching MSU baseball since Paul Gregory. I saw the cow pasture that was to be the new Dudy Noble Field location plush with about 2,000 wooden seats which resembles a high school stadium nowadays. So yeah, I would say I have had a fairly long history with MSU Baseball.

The thing about that is we don't know what the committee will do or how they will consider our outside circumstances. They may take into consideration a lot or they may say you are what your record is. I think they will take it into some consideration and I know Kendall Rogers agrees with me on that- but that is just an opinion that may or may not happen.

But to answer your question we probably don't need four.

0 regular season wins = We are going to need to win the SEC Tournament assuming that we even get in.
1 regular season win = We need to go deep into the SEC Tournament and may need to win it to get in.
2 regular season wins = Bubble team and may (probably) need to win at least one if not two SEC Tournament games.
3 regular season wins or more = Bubble team but probably in with the odds increasing of getting in with each win.

AusTexDawg
05-11-2018, 10:07 AM
That would make me more comfortable but it's unlikely we will need that.

Unless we win 4 of the remaining 6 regular season games and make it past the first round of the SECT or win 3 of the 6 and go at least 2-2 in the SECT, it may be difficult to feel comfortable if there's the usual (or more) amount of stolen bids/unexpected automatic qualifiers in other conferences over Memorial Day weekend.

Jarius
05-11-2018, 11:32 AM
I'm extremely comfortable with 14 sec wins getting us in. We have done way too much to get left out at that point.

sleepy dawg
05-11-2018, 03:33 PM
I'm extremely comfortable with 14 sec wins getting us in. We have done way too much to get left out at that point.

I think you're too comfortable given the committees moves in most recent years. The committee left out South Carolina last year with a 32 rpi and Ole Miss with a 34 rpi. Meanwhile, Auburn makes it with about a 40 rpi (I can't remember exactly what theirs was at the time, but it was definitely worse)... The difference? Auburn has a winning conference record at 16-14 and SC and Ole Miss both had losing conference records. OM was 14-16 and SC was 13-17. What other reasons could they have had to leave them out? They both had very strong SOS, much stronger than Auburn's.