PDA

View Full Version : Anybody looked at the East? It's wide open...

BeastMan
10-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Don't look now ya'll but Mizzou has a chance to put a strangle hold on the east in the next 3 weeks and things are lining up for them to be able to do it. UGA is decimated with injuries. Florida is having major offense issues and lost their best player. USC is looking zombie like. After UGA beat USC most assumed that was it. It's far from it and I wrote a East roundup of sorts
http://3rdand57.com/sec-east-is-a-3-ring-circus/

smootness
10-08-2013, 10:17 AM
This is a little like saying that we had a chance to put a stranglehold on the West last year after starting 7-0, though.

Sure we had a chance, but not a realistic one.

I know UGA, SC, and UF all have their issues. But they're all still better teams than Missouri, at least UGA and SC are. I would put their chances at going 3-0 in that stretch at about 5%, if that. And the chances of 2-1 at about 15%, maybe.

dawgs
10-08-2013, 10:43 AM
i disagree. at least i'm reserving judgment on uga/sc relative mizzou until i see how they play without all their various injured stars. uga is down their top 2 RBs (marshall done for the year) and 3 of their top 4 WRs (2 of them done for the year) for a week or 2. and sc hasn't done anything to impress me thus far.

BeastMan
10-08-2013, 10:57 AM
i disagree. at least i'm reserving judgment on uga/sc relative mizzou until i see how they play without all their various injured stars. uga is down their top 2 RBs (marshall done for the year) and 3 of their top 4 WRs (2 of them done for the year) for a week or 2. and sc hasn't done anything to impress me thus far.

Thats my point exactly. At full strength I dont think Mizzou has much a chance at UGA or USC but neither are full strength. If Mizzou is going to do it, they'll likely never see a better chance than right now. Everything has aligned to their benefit.

ChupacabraDawg
10-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Don't look now ya'll but Mizzou has a chance to put a strangle hold on the east in the next 3 weeks and things are lining up for them to be able to do it. UGA is decimated with injuries. Florida is having major offense issues and lost their best player. USC is looking zombie like. After UGA beat USC most assumed that was it. It's far from it and I wrote a East roundup of sorts
http://3rdand57.com/sec-east-is-a-3-ring-circus/

I said something yesterday about thinking that outside of UGA the East is not that great. We could win our two east games and be in alright shape.

yakalot
10-08-2013, 11:30 AM
I certainly would have liked our chances better against LSU if Landry, Beckham and Hill had been out last Saturday.

Political Hack
10-08-2013, 11:50 AM
people thought we were crazy for thinking we had a shit to get to Atlanta in 98' too.

The dice have rolled in Mizzu's favor so far this year. I think they can beat everyone in the East outside of UGA. If GA loses one or two along the way, Mizzu's could go in with a three way tie breaker or only one loss.

msstate7
10-08-2013, 11:55 AM
I think Florida becomes a front runner this weekend by beating lsu. Florida has the best defense in the sec and it isn't close. With the new qb, they are much better.

BeastMan
10-08-2013, 11:59 AM
I think Florida becomes a front runner this weekend by beating lsu. Florida has the best defense in the sec and it isn't close. With the new qb, they are much better.

They lost their best defensive player for the season (name escapes me but he's a DT). The offense has looked better with Murphy but they still aren't that good. They were toxic under Driskell. Now they are serviceable. I think LSU strokes them and they won't play a factor in the EASt but hey, that's why they play the games on the field.

smootness
10-08-2013, 12:05 PM
My opinion is essentially fully based on how good I think Missouri is; namely, not very.

I think they have had a very, very favorable schedule so far, and just becuause they are undefeated right now does not give an indication that they have a chance to win the East.

They may technically still have the opportunity to do it, where a school like Vanderbilt is already out, but that doesn't mean they're any more capable of pulling it off.

msstate7
10-08-2013, 12:16 PM
My opinion is essentially fully based on how good I think Missouri is; namely, not very.

I think they have had a very, very favorable schedule so far, and just becuause they are undefeated right now does not give an indication that they have a chance to win the East.

They may technically still have the opportunity to do it, where a school like Vanderbilt is already out, but that doesn't mean they're any more capable of pulling it off.

Missouri has a game changer at qb which gives them a chance. I don't think its a very good chance, but it is a chance

smootness
10-08-2013, 12:20 PM
I just haven't seen enough from Franklin to call him a 'game changer'. Again, I just think they've played a really easy schedule; Vandy's defense is terrible.

He may be that this year, but he would have to really progress from where he has been so far in his career, and I'll have to see it to believe it.

BeastMan
10-08-2013, 12:27 PM

Every bit of that assessment is fair and the next 3 weeks will tell the story. It's an intersting storyline until then regardless IMO

msstate7
10-08-2013, 12:51 PM
I just haven't seen enough from Franklin to call him a 'game changer'. Again, I just think they've played a really easy schedule; Vandy's defense is terrible.

He may be that this year, but he would have to really progress from where he has been so far in his career, and I'll have to see it to believe it.

James franklin's 2011 year:
Passing-- 63% 2800 yards 21 tds
Rushing -- 981 yds 15 td's

2012 injury

2013:
Passing -- 68% 1406 yds 13 tds
Rushing -- 278 yds 2 td's

Franklin is very good and other than Florida who has defense in the east to be feared?

Political Hack
10-08-2013, 01:25 PM
I think LSU is going hang it on Florida and that supastah' defense is going to look very pedestrian come Saturday.

CJDAWG85
10-08-2013, 01:39 PM
They lost their best defensive player for the season (name escapes me but he's a DT).

Easley?

msstate7
10-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Easley?

Yes. He was probably best in country