PDA

View Full Version : McDonnell vs Schlosnagle

confucius say
05-08-2018, 07:29 PM
Who would you rather have given the choice and why?

IMissJack
05-08-2018, 07:33 PM
McDonnell, just to stick it to OM.

confucius say
05-08-2018, 07:39 PM
I feel like the sentiment of the board would mcD. Just not sure why.

deltadawg99
05-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Either one would be great hires but I’d prefer McDonnell simply because he’s more familiar with the area from his time at OM Recruiting.

It’s going to be really interesting to see who we end up hiring.

I will be really disappointed if we hire Butch

deltadawg99
05-08-2018, 07:48 PM
Either one would be great hires but I?d prefer McDonnell simply because he?s more familiar with the area from his time at OM Recruiting.

It?s going to be really interesting to see who we end up hiring.

drummerdawg
05-08-2018, 07:55 PM
McDonnell

shoeless joe
05-08-2018, 08:00 PM
Wrong thread...but I'd take mcd

Ari Gold
05-08-2018, 08:13 PM
Either one would be great hires but I?d prefer McDonnell simply because he?s more familiar with the area from his time at OM Recruiting.

It?s going to be really interesting to see who we end up hiring.

We aren’t Hiring Butch ..

MetEdDawg
05-08-2018, 08:16 PM
Schloss all day. 68.5% career winning percentage. 47 years old. Been to the Supers 4 straight years. Been to Omaha 4 straight years. 7 straight conference championships in the Mountain West, 2 conference championships and 2 tournament championships in the Big 12. Has 3 former assistants that currently have HC jobs at big time schools.

Fan base has tunnel vision right now. Both would be great but Schlossnagle is the better hire. He's the Saban hire. McDonnell would be the Dabo hire in my opinion. Both great but I think Schloss is better.

The Federalist Engineer
05-08-2018, 08:31 PM
Who would you rather have given the choice and why?

McD because Louisville is a more comparable situation to the MSU job. Public university in a state that requires much outside recruiting. But both are proven great coaches.

confucius say
05-08-2018, 08:44 PM
Does tcu have the scholly advantage that private schools like vandy and Stanford have?

Bulldog1
05-08-2018, 09:22 PM
McDonnell, but I think Schlossnagle would do just as well.

dawgoneyall
05-08-2018, 09:33 PM
Does tcu have the scholly advantage that private schools like vandy and Stanford have?

Good question.

Todd4State
05-08-2018, 09:34 PM
I don't think there is a bad choice between the four most commonly rumored candidates- Schlossnagle, Tadlock, McDonnell, and Corbin.

Any of those four would be home runs.

McDonnell- He knows Mississippi although it has been awhile and the thing about Louisville is he has been winning at a high level in an area that is not a great baseball talent region. I think if he came back he could potentially do even better.

Schlossnagle- I think he may keep Gautreau and his pitching coach is one of the best in the country. He used to be the pitching coach at Tulane so he probably knows our region better than some may realize. Has taken TCU to Omaha four years in a row and has connections to Texas and if Kirk Saarloos his pitching coach comes with him he has connections in California.

Tadlock- A little bit younger and probably the most "unproven" of this group- which tells you how impressive this group is- but has Texas Tech in line for a National Seed again this year despite losing their ace for the season. Has one of the top assistants in the country who could very well take over at Texas Tech if we hire Tadlock. Evaluates talent very well.

Corbin- Know the SEC and is the only guy in this group that has won a National Title. Has good connections in Tennessee where we recruit a lot and has tapped into the Northeast. Has a great reputation for being able to get elite pitchers through the MLB draft which may be more of a credit to his former pitching coach- Derek Johnson- than anything.

Todd4State
05-08-2018, 09:39 PM

I think they do BUT I wouldn't worry too much about it. Vanderbilt has had this advantage forever and they sucked before Corbin came along. Same with TCU. I would imagine that there are schools like Duke and Tulane that also have those same advantages and they suck.

So, the coach is still a big part of it. It's just like us with our stadium and fanbase- they are great advantages for us in recruiting BUT if we don't have a coach that can identify talent and get that talent to MLB it's a moot point.

And no doubt Cohen will help whoever our coach is with the scholarship situation as much as he can. As I have said before we have players that are on academic scholarship, grants, receive tuition waivers and etc in addition to in some cases their partial baseball scholarship.

The Lottery Scholarships and Endowments are BS excuses that our fans cling to as a way to explain why our coaches haven't done a good enough job in recruiting.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2018, 09:44 PM

No. Schlossnagle would win big.

I think McDonnell is a little more hands on and a little better on field coach while Schlossnagle is maybe a better CEO and manager of the program.

Both are elite and would win big.

AlSwearengen
05-08-2018, 09:59 PM
If Schlossnagle and McDonnell are waiting for us to decide, we have already won in a big big way.

Steakonastick
05-08-2018, 10:44 PM
Get ready for Schloss with Gatreau staying.

Mjoelner34
05-08-2018, 10:49 PM
If Schlossnagle and McDonnell are waiting for us to decide, we have already won in a big big way.

This all day!

preachermatt83
05-08-2018, 10:57 PM
Either would be grand slams.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2018, 11:01 PM

Interesting. Tulane Connection. Good call

Bulldog1
05-08-2018, 11:03 PM

Awesome!

AlSwearengen
05-08-2018, 11:19 PM
both are great. It would suck though for McDonnell to be available to olemiss in the future.

Bully13
05-09-2018, 06:54 AM
If these guys are indeed in play, than we are indeed an elite program. Elite in a different kinda way. I love MSU.

msstate7
05-09-2018, 06:58 AM

You are the 2nd one that I find credible to say schloss. Looks like this could be happening

Todd4State
05-09-2018, 08:26 AM
both are great. It would suck though for McDonnell to be available to olemiss in the future.

The thing about it is if they ever did get McDonnell he wouldn't be going up against Polk II this time.

Cooterpoot
05-09-2018, 08:38 AM
We aren't getting Schlossnagle. So it's an easy choice.

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-09-2018, 08:46 AM
Just to get some of our more chicken-little types going: both TCU and Louisville are having very mediocre seasons right now.

confucius say
05-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Just to get some of our more chicken-little types going: both TCU and Louisville are having very mediocre seasons right now.

I wonder if maybe their head coaches have smn on their minds??

Also, Louisville is surging right now and their RPI has climbed to 26 I believe.

confucius say
05-09-2018, 09:57 AM

Why you say we aren't getting him?

msstate7
05-09-2018, 10:34 AM

One thing I have learned when it comes to baseball, never doubt steakonastick. Guy knows his stuff

MarketingBully
05-09-2018, 11:14 AM
One thing I have learned when it comes to baseball, never doubt steakonastick. Guy knows his stuff

It really doesn’t matter whether it’s Schloss or McDonnell. Both could win a natty here. I’m good with either.

Cooterpoot
05-09-2018, 12:12 PM

Maybe, but Schloss is at the 3rd year (6 yr deal) of a contract that about $1.2M ($1.5M total). He's top 3 in pay in the country. And I'm not aware of any issues at TCU like with McDonnell. Give me either and I'm happy. I think Schloss is the better coach of the two, but McDonnell is an insane recruiter. It's a win/win.

confucius say
05-09-2018, 01:27 PM
Maybe, but Schloss is at the 3rd year (6 yr deal) of a contract that about $1.2M ($1.5M total). He's top 3 in pay in the country. And I'm not aware of any issues at TCU like with McDonnell. Give me either and I'm happy. I think Schloss is the better coach of the two, but McDonnell is an insane recruiter. It's a win/win.

Pretty sure TCU's athletics director just left for Texas

HoopsDawg
05-09-2018, 02:20 PM

Correct so no buyout if we hire Schloss.

Cooterpoot
05-09-2018, 02:39 PM

The new AD was the asst. AD though. He's been there for 7 years and he's not saying education is more important than ball like at Louisville. No NCAA cloud. Again, if Steak is right then awesome. I just don't see it. We aren't paying more than $1.5M and we can't go but 4 years. There would have to be issues there IMO.
Let's hope there's some!

confucius say
05-09-2018, 03:13 PM
The new AD was the asst. AD though. He's been there for 7 years and he's not saying education is more important than ball like at Louisville. No NCAA cloud. Again, if Steak is right then awesome. I just don't see it. We aren't paying more than $1.5M and we can't go but 4 years. There would have to be issues there IMO.
Let's hope there's some!

Fair points no doubt. I'll also say schloss may just want to coach somewhere where baseball matters. He has been phenomenal and their average attendance is still just over half of ours.

smootness
05-09-2018, 04:10 PM
Schloss all day. 68.5% career winning percentage. 47 years old. Been to the Supers 4 straight years. Been to Omaha 4 straight years. 7 straight conference championships in the Mountain West, 2 conference championships and 2 tournament championships in the Big 12. Has 3 former assistants that currently have HC jobs at big time schools.

Fan base has tunnel vision right now. Both would be great but Schlossnagle is the better hire. He's the Saban hire. McDonnell would be the Dabo hire in my opinion. Both great but I think Schloss is better.

I'm not sure what that last statement means, but in terms of the rest:

McDonnell: 71.5% career winning percentage
Same age
Been to the Supers 5 straight years, Omaha 3 out of 5
Conference champ 7 out of the last 9 years
2 conference championships in 3 years in the ACC, a tougher league than the B12
I have no idea about his assistants

How is Schlossnagle clearly better based on any of that?

MetEdDawg
05-09-2018, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure what that last statement means, but in terms of the rest:

McDonnell: 71.5% career winning percentage
Same age
Been to the Supers 5 straight years, Omaha 3 out of 5
Conference champ 7 out of the last 9 years
2 conference championships in 3 years in the ACC, a tougher league than the B12
I have no idea about his assistants

How is Schlossnagle clearly better based on any of that?

Well let me first clarify. My post was not to incinuate McDonnell would be bad. Schloss has McDonnell on length of time being a HC. Schloss has 16 years of experience. I give him points because he navigated a change from C USA to the Mountain West, then took that school into the Big 12 and is dominating. Lousiville had a higher floor to start at.

No NCAA Tournament the 9 years prior to a Schloss taking the job and multiple conference tournaments missed. Louisville has an appearance a couple years before McDonnell took over. McDonnell tournament record of 22-15. Schloss 54-34.

Like I said these guys are both solid hires. But I think Schloss is better by a little bit. If we get McDonnell I will be thrilled. That to me is a damn good hire. I just think Schloss is a little better hire.

Bully13
05-09-2018, 05:48 PM
Both are elite recruiters and great coaches. McDonnell would have an early start advantage in Miss over Schloss due to the relationships he built during his stint with the bears. But Schloss has proven he can start from ground zero no matter where he lands and hit the ground running on the crootin' trail.

The only real downside to Schloss is we don't want the bears to land McDonnell. Is Bianco on the bear chopping block? Are the sharks circling around Bianco?

MetEdDawg
05-09-2018, 08:45 PM
Both are elite recruiters and great coaches. McDonnell would have an early start advantage in Miss over Schloss due to the relationships he built during his stint with the bears. But Schloss has proven he can start from ground zero no matter where he lands and hit the ground running on the crootin' trail.

The only real downside to Schloss is we don't want the bears to land McDonnell. Is Bianco on the bear chopping block? Are the sharks circling around Bianco?

If we hire a coach because we don't want Ole Miss to potentially hire them down the road, we have lost perspective on what's important. OM not being successful is not more important than us being successful. If Cohen or any AD ever does that, I'll never donate another cent to the university. Not saying that that is what we would be doing if we hired McDonnell, but if I ever found out that was partly the reason I would be severely disappointed in my university.

Todd4State
05-09-2018, 08:48 PM
If we hire a coach because we don't want Ole Miss to potentially hire them down the road, we have lost perspective on what's important. OM not being successful is not more important than us being successful. If Cohen or any AD ever does that, I'll never donate another cent to the university. Not saying that that is what we would be doing if we hired McDonnell, but if I ever found out that was partly the reason I would be severely disappointed in my university.

Exactly. One of things that made me proud about MSU baseball was the fact that we hired Cohen and raised our standard to meet and pass theirs and did it the right way. As opposed to Ole Miss football that tried to cheat and take people down to bring us down to their level.

Mjoelner34
05-09-2018, 09:44 PM

Unless he still recruits Mississippi I wouldn't say he had an advantage at all. He's been gone for 12 years.

Thrill1
05-09-2018, 10:36 PM
Hey, guess who Schloss coached at Tulane ...

https://youtu.be/fR6yFzis_3c

Bully13
05-10-2018, 04:47 AM
To clarify, I would not want us to make the hiring decision based on not wanting McDonnell in oxfart. I trust Cohen will make the best hire for MSU and I realize he knows more than I do regarding what's best for MSU baseball.

And I can know all of the above while simultaneously not wanting McDonnell in oxfart.

MarketingBully
05-10-2018, 07:27 AM

You do realize if we hire McDonnell it won’t be because Ole Miss won’t get him. We will hire him because he can win a national title here and he is a top 3 coach in all of college baseball. He imo is the #1 option of all the guys mentioned and if we do hire him we will become a top 5 program and win a natty under him.

MarketingBully
05-10-2018, 07:30 AM
Exactly. One of things that made me proud about MSU baseball was the fact that we hired Cohen and raised our standard to meet and pass theirs and did it the right way. As opposed to Ole Miss football that tried to cheat and take people down to bring us down to their level.

McDonnell is a top 3 coach in college baseball. He will win a national title here and bring our consistency back to a top five program in the country. That’s why we would hire him.

MetEdDawg
05-10-2018, 09:07 AM
You do realize if we hire McDonnell it won’t be because Ole Miss won’t get him. We will hire him because he can win a national title here and he is a top 3 coach in all of college baseball. He imo is the #1 option of all the guys mentioned and if we do hire him we will become a top 5 program and win a natty under him.

I know that. But I wrote that in response to a previous post where that was brought up.

smootness
05-10-2018, 11:18 AM
Well let me first clarify. My post was not to incinuate McDonnell would be bad. Schloss has McDonnell on length of time being a HC. Schloss has 16 years of experience. I give him points because he navigated a change from C USA to the Mountain West, then took that school into the Big 12 and is dominating. Lousiville had a higher floor to start at.

No NCAA Tournament the 9 years prior to a Schloss taking the job and multiple conference tournaments missed. Louisville has an appearance a couple years before McDonnell took over. McDonnell tournament record of 22-15. Schloss 54-34.

Like I said these guys are both solid hires. But I think Schloss is better by a little bit. If we get McDonnell I will be thrilled. That to me is a damn good hire. I just think Schloss is a little better hire.

That's fair. McDonnell did navigate a change from the Big East, through one year of the AAC, to the ACC, though, and similarly dominated. And the tournament record seems to only be about length of time as a HC.

I'm not saying McDonnell is clearly better than Schlossnagle. I'm just saying that on resume, they seem just about identical.

Very similar situations all the way around, and very similar success. Also, McDonnell seems to be surging and likely to make the Tournament, where Schlossnagle may not this year.

Agreed, though. Either way, you can't really go wrong.

Randolph Dupree
05-10-2018, 11:27 AM
"Very similar situations all the way around, and very similar success. Also, McDonnell seems to be surging and likely to make the Tournament, where Schlossnagle may not this year"

Maybe Schlossnagle isn't fully engaged because his mind is already on his new gig? Hmmm

smootness
05-10-2018, 11:32 AM
"Very similar situations all the way around, and very similar success. Also, McDonnell seems to be surging and likely to make the Tournament, where Schlossnagle may not this year"

Maybe Schlossnagle isn't fully engaged because his mind is already on his new gig? Hmmm

I would hope not. I don't want a coach who allows himself to lose focus during the season, especially if it's on another potential job.

smootness
05-10-2018, 11:41 AM
Also, that 22-15 record for McDonnell in the NCAA Tournament is wrong. I know that's what Wikipedia says, but you have to win at least 3 games to win a regional, and you have to win 2 to win a SR, right?

Well, he's 2-8 in the CWS. But even if he won no games in the SR in years where they didn't advance beyond that, and no games in the regionals in years where they didn't advance beyond that, you still have:

2007 - made the CWS, at least 5 wins to get there
2009 - SR, at least 3 wins to get there
2013 - CWS, at least 5 wins to get there
2014 - CWS, at least 5 wins to get there
2015 - SR, at least 3 wins to get there
2016 - SR, at least 3 wins to get there
2017 - CWS, at least 5 wins to get there

That's at least 31 NCAA Tournament wins on his resume.

AlSwearengen
05-10-2018, 01:42 PM
They both seem to have similar success overall. The difference that I notice is that Schlossnagle was a part of Tulane at their peak, took over at UNLV and had a very good year and took them back to a regional for the first time in several years before going to tcu, where he took their program to where they are now (they were never really that good previously).

I also saw a recruiting comparison b/t the two over the last four years and tcu was generally ranked a little bit higher. I don?t know if that was pre or post draft.

They both seem to have somewhat inexperienced teams this year after good runs for four or five consecutive years. Not terribly surprising. It seems that Schlossnagle has had a little more success when he gets to Omaha.

Honestly, it?s an either/or situation I think. I really like that Schlossnagle has been to a few more places and had success at all. That said, olemiss backslid immediately when McDonnell left. Flip a coin John!

preachermatt83
05-10-2018, 01:56 PM
Schloss best player is has been out for the season with a broken leg. Among multiple other players going down.

MetEdDawg
05-10-2018, 01:57 PM
Also, that 22-15 record for McDonnell in the NCAA Tournament is wrong. I know that's what Wikipedia says, but you have to win at least 3 games to win a regional, and you have to win 2 to win a SR, right?

Well, he's 2-8 in the CWS. But even if he won no games in the SR in years where they didn't advance beyond that, and no games in the regionals in years where they didn't advance beyond that, you still have:

2007 - made the CWS, at least 5 wins to get there
2009 - SR, at least 3 wins to get there
2013 - CWS, at least 5 wins to get there
2014 - CWS, at least 5 wins to get there
2015 - SR, at least 3 wins to get there
2016 - SR, at least 3 wins to get there
2017 - CWS, at least 5 wins to get there

That's at least 31 NCAA Tournament wins on his resume.

I did wonder about that. I thought that number wasn't realistic considering how much they have been past the 1st round under him.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-10-2018, 02:13 PM
I'm hearing it will be Schlossnagle too. I guess we'll see.

smootness
05-10-2018, 02:48 PM

One thing is for sure - if it's either one, then it's a massive grand slam, and say hello to the 80s again.

Commercecomet24
05-10-2018, 02:59 PM
It's schlossnagle. Will be a home run hire for sure.

Todd4State
05-10-2018, 04:46 PM
Schloss best player is has been out for the season with a broken leg. Among multiple other players going down.

Sounds like this season will prepare him well for us.**

MarketingBully
05-10-2018, 04:54 PM

And I would be overjoyed with that hire! We will be a top 5 program and win a national title with him at the helm.

bostondawg
05-10-2018, 05:55 PM
Schloss is the best coach in college baseball IMO. There's some space between him and McDonnell for this hire in my mind.

preachermatt83
05-10-2018, 09:25 PM
Top 5 coaches in America right now are schloss, McDonnell, Tadlock, Corbin, and Sully in my opinion. In no particular order and any of them would make msu the best team in America in a hurry.

bostondawg
05-11-2018, 08:17 AM
Top 5 coaches in America right now are schloss, McDonnell, Tadlock, Corbin, and Sully in my opinion. In no particular order and any of them would make msu the best team in America in a hurry.

I'd agree with this. Although if we were hypothetically ranking coaches you'd want to start a program with, I might exclude someone like Corbin. He's a bit older now. At MSU I really like the idea of hiring someone under 50 or so. I want them to be able to recruit lights out, because we're giving them all the tools necessary to do so.

AlSwearengen
05-11-2018, 08:41 AM
I'd agree with this. Although if we were hypothetically ranking coaches you'd want to start a program with, I might exclude someone like Corbin. He's a bit older now. At MSU I really like the idea of hiring someone under 50 or so. I want them to be able to recruit lights out, because we're giving them all the tools necessary to do so.

This is my line of thinking as well and is the only reason I am not as excited about Corbin as the others. Vandy is young right now and might be on the verge of a good run, but They have been trending down a little over the last few years.

Bully13
05-11-2018, 08:59 AM
Are you insiders pretty confident about this?

MarketingBully
05-11-2018, 09:28 AM
Are you insiders pretty confident about this?

When IYOK and Steakonastick are in unison, I’d say pretty confident.

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-11-2018, 09:31 AM
This is my line of thinking as well and is the only reason I am not as excited about Corbin as the others. Vandy is young right now and might be on the verge of a good run, but They have been trending down a little over the last few years.

Corbin is a very good coach but his resume at Vandy is "only" good outside of a 5 year stretch from 2011-2015 when they were outstanding. And to your point, he's almost 10 years older than Schloss and McDonnell