PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Elk Hunt Raffle

Prediction? Pain.
05-08-2018, 09:16 AM
Just FYI for all the hunters on the board, the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Foundation is having a raffle for an elk hunt in the Cumberland Mountains just north of Knoxville. Each raffle ticket is $10. The winner not only gets to hunt for elk this fall in the North Cumberland Wildlife Management area (where the state has been reintroducing the species for around a decade), but also wins a new rifle from Bass Pro Shops (a Tikka T3X Lite). The proceeds of the raffle all go back to the elk restoration program.

Here's a link where you can buy tickets:

http://www.twrf.net/store/2018-elk-tag-raffle

I've never hiked that area, but I've I've driven through a couple of times. It's beautiful country, especially when the fall foliage hits.

FISHDAWG
05-08-2018, 03:53 PM
I wonder if they have a lottery draw for non-residents ... I'm retiring to 2 hours West of there in 4 years and surely they have a lottery for residents. I've regretting not pulling the trigger on a large 4x4 in Colorado on opening day in 96 ... need to fix that

Prediction? Pain.
05-09-2018, 11:04 AM
I wonder if they have a lottery draw for non-residents ... I'm retiring to 2 hours West of there in 4 years and surely they have a lottery for residents. I've regretting not pulling the trigger on a large 4x4 in Colorado on opening day in 96 ... need to fix that

I don't know what else they do for hunts, but it looks like this one is open to anyone in the United States (the fine print just says that you've got to be at least 18 years old and a US citizen that's eligible to legally own a firearm). With the herd population still close to 200, I imagine that the number of hunters they allow every year is still fairly small. It'd be awesome if the herd(s) eventually gets big enough wander across the entire swath of the Cumberland Plateau that runs up and down the eastern part of the state, but I'm guessing that'll take a while.

You retiring up near Big South Fork? If so, kudos. I've never made it up there but have heard that it's incredible.

FISHDAWG
05-09-2018, 01:52 PM
I don't know what else they do for hunts, but it looks like this one is open to anyone in the United States (the fine print just says that you've got to be at least 18 years old and a US citizen that's eligible to legally own a firearm). With the herd population still close to 200, I imagine that the number of hunters they allow every year is still fairly small. It'd be awesome if the herd(s) eventually gets big enough wander across the entire swath of the Cumberland Plateau that runs up and down the eastern part of the state, but I'm guessing that'll take a while.

You retiring up near Big South Fork? If so, kudos. I've never made it up there but have heard that it's incredible.

retiring to outside of Cookeville across the road from Cummins Falls State Park ... kind of at the base or part way up the Cumberland Plateau ... a few really nice bucks on our property as well

Prediction? Pain.
05-09-2018, 02:47 PM
retiring to outside of Cookeville across the road from Cummins Falls State Park ... kind of at the base or part way up the Cumberland Plateau ... a few really nice bucks on our property as well

Awesome. You're going to be between 30 and 60 minutes from some amazing spots like Rock Island, Burgess Falls, and Virgin Falls. If you're icing the cake by building a log cabin on your property, I'm pretty sure you've won at retiring before even you've even started. Well done.