PDA

View Full Version : Merlin on playing in Starkville

drummerdawg
05-07-2018, 09:00 PM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/dan-mullen-talks-floridas-trip-mississippi-state-says-will-big-msu-fans/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Bulldog1
05-07-2018, 09:05 PM
It comes off as arrogance to me.

BeardoMSU
05-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Cute, Dan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4mY4FHyT80

Liverpooldawg
05-07-2018, 09:21 PM
Well, there HAVE been people here and on other MSU boards talking about how much they want to win that game and how it's the biggest game of the year. I don't see it that way, it's an east team we rarely play so it's in no shape a rivalry. It certainly ain't the Egg Bowl. I want to win it, but there are several others Thant rank higher for me. Now that is classic Mullen.

deadheaddawg
05-07-2018, 09:40 PM
He's laying the groundwork for an excuse when he gets his ass kicked.

Dildoes
05-07-2018, 09:46 PM
He’s right, though. When we impose our will on a blueblood on a national stage it will be a huge deal for the state of Mississippi

PMDawg
05-07-2018, 09:51 PM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/dan-mullen-talks-floridas-trip-mississippi-state-says-will-big-msu-fans/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

What a joke. It won't even be the biggest game of the first half of the season.

I don't think people are that mad that he left. Just the way he left without saying a word. I guess he thought he was so important that he had to run out in a hurry? He should have done it honorably. Even still, I don't think the fans were that upset about it. He kind of lives in his own reality.

BeardoMSU
05-07-2018, 09:53 PM
He's laying the groundwork for an excuse when he gets his ass kicked.

Exactly right.

He'll learn...

http://asset-5.soupcdn.com/asset/7100/4341_57f8.gif

BuckyIsAB****
05-07-2018, 09:58 PM
Typical. And he will say it after the game too after he throws Grantham or someone else under the bus.

Im so glad he is gone and I get to watch him tuck his tail between his legs for someone else in a big game.

All the mullenites might want to find something else to do on Sept 29 2018

BuckyIsAB****
05-07-2018, 09:59 PM
To be totally honest if you told me we would lose to Bama but kick the shit out of Florida this year I'd take it

deadheaddawg
05-07-2018, 10:01 PM
To be totally honest if you told me we would lose to Bama but kick the shit out of Florida this year I'd take it

Yeah, but I'd much MUCH rather beat bama

Bulldog1
05-07-2018, 10:01 PM
I'm sure he'll say:"It was their super bowl, the biggest game of their season." And if he says anything close to that, he is LYING.

RocketDawg
05-07-2018, 10:02 PM
It comes off as arrogance to me.

To say the least, but arrogance is nothing new for him. It's just as big, maybe bigger, for him (maybe not so much for the team, but for him). I'll bet he'll be quaking in his boots come game day. He's probably not really looking foward to walking into that stadium. The game should be a slobberknocker.

BulldogtheMS
05-07-2018, 10:02 PM
Smug bastard. That’s my opinion. We are gonna whip that gator ass in September... then I’m gonna set back and watch his excuses that we are so used to hearing.
Make no mistake I’m glad he came and elevated our program. He did a lot of good here.

Oh and frick Scot Strickland.

BuckyIsAB****
05-07-2018, 10:04 PM
''Ehhhhh welll we were kinda herky jerky derp derp, defense didnt play well, didnt tackle derp derp, thought we played well enough offensively to win the game derppity derp derp''

RocketDawg
05-07-2018, 10:05 PM
Yeah, but I'd much MUCH rather beat bama

I'd rather beat Alabama too than beat Florida, but I really want to beat Mullen this year. I have nothing against Florida as a school or team, just him as a person. As someone said, if he'd left honorably, more power to him. But he didn't.

Todd4State
05-07-2018, 10:18 PM

I don't think people are that mad that he left. Just the way he left without saying a word. I guess he thought he was so important that he had to run out in a hurry? He should have done it honorably. Even still, I don't think the fans were that upset about it. He kind of lives in his own reality.

You absolutely nailed it.

And hey, let's be honest. I can understand him not knowing that the Egg Bowl is the biggest game in Mississippi since he was checked out on it the past four years. Except the year he needed to beat them to get a raise.

Todd4State
05-07-2018, 10:20 PM
Typical. And he will say it after the game too after he throws Grantham or someone else under the bus.

Im so glad he is gone and I get to watch him tuck his tail between his legs for someone else in a big game.

All the mullenites might want to find something else to do on Sept 29 2018

This too.

I already like Joe Moorhead a lot better. He has checked all of the boxes off for me so far. All he has to do is win like I think he will.

Bulldog1
05-07-2018, 10:24 PM
One of the biggest differences to me is I believe that Coach Moorhead will not back down in the big games, because we all know Dan always played "not to lose" in the big games.

BuckyIsAB****
05-07-2018, 10:30 PM
One of the biggest differences to me is I believe that Coach Moorhead will not back down in the big games, because we all know Dan always played "not to lose" in the big games.

To be fair all we have to go on is his time at Fordham as a HC and I guess you could say his playcalling at Penn St in big games, I dont know enough about either to speak on it.

BUT Mullen damn sure wasnt gonna take us to the next level bc 1. He didnt want too and 2. He couldnt even if he did want to.

Mullen tried to leave every year since 2014 and maybe beforehand. He was on his way out after the Bama game he could've given a shit about MSU. All we were was a check and a chance to show he was better than us to another job he deemed worthy of his presence.

Cooterpoot
05-07-2018, 10:38 PM
I’m glad Dan is stealing from FL and not us anymore.

TUSK
05-07-2018, 10:51 PM
He's an arrogant, smug, self-important and goofy jackass...

But if the atmosphere for that game isn't the most "electric" and intense in Vegas this year, I'll kiss some Maroon Ass (not really, but I'll buy some beers)....

Aside from the obvious reasons, it'll be the best SEC game that weekend... Has it been slotted for the TV, yet?

BuckyIsAB****
05-07-2018, 11:00 PM

But if the atmosphere for that game isn't the most "electric" and intense in Vegas this year, I'll kiss some Maroon Ass (not really, but I'll buy some beers)....

Aside from the obvious reasons, it'll be the best SEC game that weekend... Has it been slotted for the TV, yet?

If it was at UF it would be 7 pm primetime ESPN. Since its at Starkville it will be 11 am on ESPN2.

Im half kidding

jacksondawg
05-07-2018, 11:21 PM
If it was at UF it would be 7 pm primetime ESPN. Since its at Starkville it will be 11 am on ESPN2.

Im half kidding

Do you mean SEC Network+?****

TUSK
05-07-2018, 11:27 PM

Im half kidding

You're prolly (half) right, buddy...

But look at the competition (Keep in mind that both UF and MSU will likely be 4-0 and Top 20):

Bammer vs Louisiana
Georgia vs UT
Auburn vs USM
LSU vs Ole Miss
A&M vs Arkie
SC at UK

That's a "trash" weekend if I've seen one...

TUSK
05-07-2018, 11:31 PM
Do you mean SEC Network+?****

I'm gonna call the REC and see if we can't add "SEC Catorce" for you gatos....

TaleofTwoDogs
05-08-2018, 08:13 AM
''Ehhhhh welll we were kinda herky jerky derp derp, defense didnt play well, didnt tackle derp derp, thought we played well enough offensively to win the game derppity derp derp''

+1

Bully13
05-08-2018, 08:19 AM
He's correct in that the game will have much more tabasco added to it for obvious reasons but what he needs to know now is that those who follow the program closely are glad he's gone and prefer his replacement.

TrapGame
05-08-2018, 08:21 AM
Every time Dan has opened his pie hole since he left I've been increasingly relieved that he chose to go. Dan is coaching another team he'll never take to Atlanta.

FWIW:

Bartoo was on Bo this morning and his little matrix do-dad says Moorhead/Shoop are the better coaching combo in the MSU/FL game.

RocketDawg
05-08-2018, 08:32 AM

No it has not, but I see it as a potential GameDay site, depending on both teams' records and other games that are on that could take priority. But there's no question it'll be an interesting day.

BTW ... if you want scheduling, roster, and other information on all sports, just go to hailstate.com and work from there. Just don't let on that you're a Tider. ;)

RocketDawg
05-08-2018, 08:36 AM
You're prolly (half) right, buddy...

But look at the competition (Keep in mind that both UF and MSU will likely be 4-0 and Top 20):

Bammer vs Louisiana
Georgia vs UT
Auburn vs USM
LSU vs Ole Miss
A&M vs Arkie
SC at UK

That's a "trash" weekend if I've seen one...

Bammer vs Louisiana ... is that the one in Lafayette or Monroe? Or have they combined forces?

I can see it now though ... Bama/Louisiana 2 pm on CBS; MSU/Florida 11 am SECN+ (might be on Jefferson Pilot if there was still such a thing).

Mobile Bay
05-08-2018, 08:45 AM
He?s right, though. When we impose our will on a blueblood on a national stage it will be a huge deal for the state of Mississippi

Florida isn't a blue blood. They were shit before Spurrier, and great under Urban. Other than that they have never been much of a team.

It was a lateral move Cousin Eddie made.

RocketDawg
05-08-2018, 08:47 AM
Florida isn't a blue blood. They were shit before Spurrier, and great under Urban. Other than that they have never been much of a team.

I think most would consider them a blue blood, but like Tennessee, that blue is in danger of turning to a normal red.

Homedawg
05-08-2018, 10:09 AM

Lateral move to a program that's won multiple Natty's?? I'll have what you are having sir. You left off the sarcasterics, yes??

Jack Lambert
05-08-2018, 10:15 AM
That will not be the biggest game in history but it will be rowdy at Davis Wade.

msstate7
05-08-2018, 10:19 AM
Florida...
3 natties
8 sec championships
14 division championships

State...
0 natties
1 sec championship
1 division championship

Jack Lambert
05-08-2018, 10:23 AM
Florida...
3 natties
8 sec championships

State...
0 natties
1 sec championship
1 division championship

2014 and 2015 State would have won the East.

BeardoMSU
05-08-2018, 10:41 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcFIZF9ORRQ

sleepy dawg
05-08-2018, 10:44 AM
That will not be the biggest game in history but it will be rowdy at Davis Wade.

Obviously, he's overblowing it a bit, but there is no question that a lot of folks have that week circled. It is going to be a very hostile crowd that weekend. Very. I would not be surprised if there are many who normally don't go to games that already bought tickets to that game so they can come show their displeasure with our old staff.

Homedawg
05-08-2018, 10:44 AM
2014 and 2015 State would have won the East.

That's probably true, but that's not lateral.

StarkVegasSteve
05-08-2018, 10:48 AM
It will definitely be a raucous atmosphere, especially if the game is at night as it should be. But as others have stated he's just building it up to their fan base so he has the built in excuse when JoeMo rips him a new one up and down Scott Field on Sept. 29th.

JoseBrown
05-08-2018, 01:00 PM
He just trying to get his team built up early focusing on us. He wants to win this game, and if he don't get every bit of "strain" and complete "execution" from his team he knows they will get skulldrug in Starksville....

We are his Super Bowl this year. He may would trade Canns sidepiece for a win against us.****

Bothrops
05-08-2018, 01:11 PM

Huh?

Ezsoil
05-08-2018, 05:05 PM
Dan is the only coach to lose to Florida in Starkville in 33 years....

IMissJack
05-08-2018, 05:16 PM

Well that explains how he approached the OM series!... Can't identify the real rivals...

DawgPoundtheRock
05-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Mullen was an arrogant prick when he was coaching at State, but he was our arrogant prick. Now he's just an arrogant prick.

Turfdawg67
05-08-2018, 06:35 PM
Florida...
3 natties
8 sec championships

State...
0 natties
1 sec championship
1 division championship

(Without Spurrier and Meyer... which was the point)

Florida...
0 natties
0 sec championships
4 division championships (one w/ an asterisk and two w/ McElwain as HC!)

Some blue blood.

State...
0 natties
1 sec championship
1 division championship

Turfdawg67
05-08-2018, 06:38 PM
And with Murlen, they'll remain a non-blue blood pre/post Spurrier/Meyer.

BuckyIsAB****
05-08-2018, 06:56 PM
Mullen was an arrogant prick when he was coaching at State, but he was our arrogant prick. Now he's just an arrogant prick.

He was arrogant and confident for good reason in 2009-2010. After 2010 he thought he had arrived and didnt pick it back up till he knew we had a shot at ATL in 14 then tucked his dick between his legs vs Bama and mailed it in after that.

Mullen has probably been looking for a way out of Starkville since 2010. He finally found one in 2017. Now he gets to get his ass kicked on his return trip.

State will not lose that game. You can mark it down

PMDawg
05-08-2018, 10:16 PM
Huh?

Auburn the following week is much bigger. Game 6. 6/12 = 1/2.

sleepy dawg
05-09-2018, 02:54 PM
(Without Spurrier and Meyer... which was the point)

Florida...
0 natties
0 sec championships
4 division championships (one w/ an asterisk and two w/ McElwain as HC!)

Some blue blood.

State...
0 natties
1 sec championship
1 division championship

That's a pretty bs comparison though. In looking at modern era, drop any schools best 2 coaches and there won't be many that have done much. Drop our best 2 and we have all 0s.

If you drop Mullen and Jackie, we've had 1 winning season since 1986.

Bothrops
05-09-2018, 03:18 PM
Auburn the following week is much bigger. Game 6. 6/12 = 1/2.

I understand it's a West Div opponent, but I wouldn't stomach losing to Don's gators. Florida is bigger game for pride alone.

TrapGame
05-09-2018, 03:38 PM
I understand it's a West Div opponent, but I wouldn't stomach losing to Don's gators. Florida is bigger game for pride alone.

I think this team sees the Florida game as a must win. Losing to Auburn is one thing but losing to your douche bag ex-coach's new team is something entirely different.

Turfdawg67
05-09-2018, 06:48 PM
That's a pretty bs comparison though. In looking at modern era, drop any schools best 2 coaches and there won't be many that have done much. Drop our best 2 and we have all 0s.

If you drop Mullen and Jackie, we've had 1 winning season since 1986.

Sure... not the point or did you not read the whole thread. The poster stated that they have virtually no history prior to 1990. A blue blood should historically be good over many coaches and many decades. I guess if Moorhead wins a few West titles and purhaps a SEC title and Natty... we'd suddenly be a "blue blood" as well??

Blue bloods:

- Nebraska
- Notre Dame
- UGA
- Bama
- Texas
- Tennessee
- Southern Cal
- Penn State
- Ohio State
- Michigan
- Oklahoma
- possibly 1-2 more I missed...

Schools like Auburn & Florida are high profile and desirable jobs, but not blue bloods. Possibly AU, but not UF. Course all of this is simply my opinion... that and five bucks will get you a cup of java

BuckyIsAB****
05-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Sure... not the point or did you not read the whole thread. The poster stated that they have virtually no history prior to 1990. A blue blood should historically be good over many coaches and many decades. I guess if Moorhead wins a few West titles and purhaps a SEC title and Natty... we'd suddenly be a "blue blood" as well??

Blue bloods:

- Nebraska
- Notre Dame
- UGA
- Bama
- Texas
- Tennessee
- Southern Cal
- Penn State
- Ohio State
- Michigan
- Oklahoma
- possibly 1-2 more I missed...

Schools like Auburn & Florida are high profile and desirable jobs, but not blue bloods. Possibly AU, but not UF. Course all of this is simply my opinion... that and five bucks will get you a cup of java

Nebraska, Notre Dame, USC, Michigan and Texas blue blood days are long gone at this point.

All of them are always overrated

Turfdawg67
05-09-2018, 07:17 PM
In response to this guy^^^^^.
Hahahahahaha... okay then. We all have opinions and I guess since a few of these have been down for a few years they aren't blue bloods in your's. With that logic, I guess you think someone like Baylor (minus the scandal, of course) would be a blue blood cause they've been relavent for the last few years?

Turfdawg67
05-09-2018, 07:33 PM
"If you say that someone has blue blood, you mean that they are from a family (a University) that has a high social rank (Long history of success)."