PDA

View Full Version : Blake smith

msstate7
05-07-2018, 05:19 PM
So we pitched 29 innings this past weekend, and no Smith. He's either hurt or being disciplined. Anyone know what's up? If he's hurt, we need to completely revamp S&C for our pitchers

Bulldog1
05-07-2018, 05:26 PM
I agree on the S&C. That needs to happen anyways.

Rick Danko
05-07-2018, 05:35 PM
Think I saw somewhere a mention of soreness in his arm

The Federalist Engineer
05-07-2018, 06:50 PM
This horrible season can't end fast enough. I'm thankful for the 11 sec victories and potentially not finishing dead last. At one point we all saw a 6-24 SEC season as a possibility but the freshman grew and LA gave us some thrills.

Let's see what happens, maybe Breaux and Self can emerge at the end here.

Bully13
05-07-2018, 06:59 PM
This horrible season can't end fast enough. I'm thankful for the 11 sec victories and potentially not finishing dead last. At one point we all saw a 6-24 SEC season as a possibility but the freshman grew and LA gave us some thrills.

Let's see what happens, maybe Breaux and Self can emerge at the end here.

I think you are being overly pessimistic. I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. Specially since we just took a road SEC series. Let's let things pan out before we toss the baby with the bath water.

tcdog70
05-07-2018, 07:19 PM
So we pitched 29 innings this past weekend, and no Smith. He's either hurt or being disciplined. Anyone know what's up? If he's hurt, we need to completely revamp S&C for our pitchers

He has arm soreness. That's what I heard. And 3/4 of the board was dogging Henderson. Ever thought that He had a reason.

Todd4State
05-07-2018, 07:48 PM
Also while Blake has been very good his last few outings have not been very good. He got the bases loaded against Arkansas before working out of it and blew the lead against Ole Miss in the Governor's Cup on curveballs that were not very good.

msstate7
05-07-2018, 07:49 PM
Also while Blake has been very good his last few outings have not been very good. He got the bases loaded against Arkansas before working out of it and blew the lead against Ole Miss in the Governor's Cup on curveballs that were not very good.

Arm trouble could be the reason

Todd4State
05-07-2018, 07:54 PM

We need to revamp it for the entire team. You mentioned the pitchers. I'll add that I think our S&C has been a part of the reason for our Tommy John epidemic as much as Wes Johnson. Notice the guys that got hurt were all underclassmen. Hudson, Sexton, Houston, and Tatum are all pitching in the pros and haven't had any issues. I don't believe Arkansas has had the issues to the extent we did. I have heard that when Wes was here he worked with the upperclassmen and let Neal work with the underclassmen.

On top of that- Henderson has mentioned that Gilbert has been tired which was a major factor in his decision to sit him out in I believe the second game against Bama.

Our fans have noted that our players are "smaller" than the other teams we play. Cann mentioned that USM looked like power lifters compared to our guys. That's unacceptable.

Neal was here in 2015 when again our fans noted how much smaller we were. In 2016 I suppose he got his ass in gear or we had a lot of leaders who overcame but then we had the Tommy John epidemic. Cann did some Navy Seal stuff when he first came and I guess that got us through 2017 but then he got distracted and here we are small again.

Todd4State
05-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Arm trouble could be the reason

Absolutely. Command is the first thing to go with arm trouble.

The Federalist Engineer
05-07-2018, 08:09 PM
I think you are being overly pessimistic. I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. Specially since we just took a road SEC series. Let's let things pan out before we toss the baby with the bath water.

All you can do is play out the season. I just hope we can one day have a pitching staff that is not an amalgamation of duct tape, wire, JB Weld, and a prayer.

This year we lost 3 major pitchers before the season even started (self, price, and Ashcraft).

confucius say
05-07-2018, 08:45 PM
Blake was hot and ready to go in the pen. Hindu said as much himself to jim on the call in show tonight. He may still have some soreness, I don't know.

Todd4State
05-07-2018, 10:21 PM
All you can do is play out the season. I just hope we can one day have a pitching staff that is not an amalgamation of duct tape, wire, JB Weld, and a prayer.

This year we lost 3 major pitchers before the season even started (self, price, and Ashcraft).

What? No Bondo?

yjnkdawg
05-08-2018, 06:20 PM
He has arm soreness. That's what I heard. And 3/4 of the board was dogging Henderson. Ever thought that He had a reason.

Probably more accurate if the 3/4 was referred to as those who partake of the game threads. Those message board coaches who know more than an on the field coach does. So much easier to coach after the fact and not based upon what an on the field coach sees and experiences day to day with his team. Yes, Henderson has made some mistakes, but all coaches do. Now the message board coaches wouldn't make mistakes, apparently. Amazing that Cohen didn't see fit to hire one of them as our interim coach. So now Cohen screwed up, I guess?. As Steve said on yesterday's Boneyard, Henderson will not be our coach next year, but he has done a good job with the situation he was handed, after the Cann fiasco. Henderson got put in a situation that he did not want to be in. He wanted to be our pitching coach. Oh, and for anybody who thinks Henderson wants to screw this season up for us, then that is just pure stupid thinking. He wants to win just like we do.

msstate7
05-08-2018, 09:31 PM
Probably more accurate if the 3/4 was referred to as those who partake of the game threads. Those message board coaches who know more than an on the field coach does. So much easier to coach after the fact and not based upon what an on the field coach sees and experiences day to day with his team. Yes, Henderson has made some mistakes, but all coaches do. Now the message board coaches wouldn't make mistakes, apparently. Amazing that Cohen didn't see fit to hire one of them as our interim coach. So now Cohen screwed up, I guess?. As Steve said on yesterday's Boneyard, Henderson will not be our coach next year, but he has done a good job with the situation he was handed, after the Cann fiasco. Henderson got put in a situation that he did not want to be in. He wanted to be our pitching coach. Oh, and for anybody who thinks Henderson wants to screw this season up for us, then that is just pure stupid thinking. He wants to win just like we do.

If you want everyone to praise our coaches' every move, message boards probably aren't the best place for you.

Oh and Confucius just said Henderson said Blake was up and ready to go in the pen. Now I see an issue with Henderson either way... if smith is healthy, he should've pitched Saturday night in the 9th. If smith is having arm trouble, Henderson shouldn't have smith up and throwing in the pen.

Todd4State
05-08-2018, 09:47 PM

The difference is most of Henderson's mistakes aren't "hindsight" mistakes. Like- "Gee, Will Clark struck out right there. Why didn't we pinch hit Rafael Palmeiro?"

It's stuff like- WTF are we starting both of our catchers and randomly playing Josh Hatcher in LF? Why did we have LHP Zach Neff facing a RH hitter and then take him out when a LH hitter comes to the plate?

Those are things that would get criticized and questioned by analysts on TV- you know former players who mostly have MLB experience?

Todd4State
05-08-2018, 09:50 PM
If you want everyone to praise our coaches' every move, message boards probably aren't the best place for you.

Oh and Confucius just said Henderson said Blake was up and ready to go in the pen. Now I see an issue with Henderson either way... if smith is healthy, he should've pitched Saturday night in the 9th. If smith is having arm trouble, Henderson shouldn't have smith up and throwing in the pen.

Exactly.

And here's the weird thing to me- Riley Self's Mom posted on Genespage that he is healthy but Henderson claims that he is still dealing with an injury.

There just seems to be a lot of disconnect between Henderson and what's going on.

Bulldog1
05-08-2018, 09:52 PM
Exactly.

And here's the weird thing to me- Riley Self's Mom posted on Genespage that he is healthy but Henderson claims that he is still dealing with an injury.

There just seems to be a lot of disconnect between Henderson and what's going on.

Really? That is odd.