PDA

View Full Version : Football announces new locker rooms

bostondawg
05-07-2018, 11:45 AM
Announcement is now officially official. http://hailstate.com/news/2018/5/7/construction-on-new-dws-home-football-locker-room-underway.aspx

11,000 square feet total, 3,000 square foot recruiting lounge, 3.6 million dollar project. Will be ready for the fall. Opponents get the old home locker rooms.

Big4Dawg
05-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Thank god. Much needed

Dawgbite
05-07-2018, 11:57 AM
It won't be finished in time!

bostondawg
05-07-2018, 12:09 PM
It won't be finished in time!

It does seem like a quick turnaround on a big project. Let's hope they get it done.

This also seems like a necessary piece to eventually tear down the south endzone M Club and bowl it in.

GoDawgz
05-07-2018, 12:35 PM
Its probably much needed and will no doubt help in recruiting. The only thing is, now the opposing teams will not have to endure the wrath of the student section while entering or exiting their locker room...... Don Merlins on 9/29 will get a pass by not having to go through there!

BrunswickDawg
05-07-2018, 12:45 PM
It does seem like a quick turnaround on a big project. Let's hope they get it done.

This also seems like a necessary piece to eventually tear down the south endzone M Club and bowl it in.

IIRC we accounted for the locker room move in the plan for the North Endzone - so the major work (plumbing stubouts, etc.) was handled in the expansion. That means they are basically building out the space. 3 months should be plenty to do that.

Steakonastick
05-07-2018, 01:25 PM
They started almost 2 months ago. It’s just now becoming public.

Prediction? Pain.
05-07-2018, 02:00 PM
Balderdash. We need to get back to the good ole days (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20918212/visiting-locker-rooms-college-football-nice-reason):

"If the visiting locker room is too nice, honestly, I'm a little disappointed," Mike Leach said. "You ask any coach or player that question -- what's the worst visitor's locker room you've been in -- and they'll give you 10 answers."

While we're in confession mode -- this article was really Leach's idea. The night after Harbaugh's comments, the Washington State coach laughed his way through a volume of stories about fallacious facilities.

Leach told a tale of visiting Mississippi State during his time as Kentucky's offensive coordinator. When the Wildcats went to load their gear into Davis Wade Stadium, they walked into what was essentially a bedroom-sized concrete box. Lining the bare walls of that box was a series of naked nails.

"I remember exactly how many there were, because I counted them. There were 38," Leach recalled. With 70 players, it meant half the team's pads were hung while the other half sat on the floor.

After the team dressed, the players started down the famous spiral ramps that lead to Scott Field. Leach has no idea what the home side's spiral was like, but the visiting side was poured with concrete that had been polished to the point that it was like gray ice.

"[Then-Kentucky head coach] Hal (Mumme) gave the team their speech, and they were all fired up and blew out the door," Leach said, "... and they had to tip toe down to the field while hanging onto the railing."

Were Leach and Mumme angry?

"Hell no," Leach said. "As soon as I saw [then-Mississippi State head coach] Jackie Sherrill I shook his hand and told him I was damn impressed."

But the hand that Sherrill shook was all but guaranteed to be dirty, no matter whose hand he was shaking. This is because there were only a few old working sinks in the visiting locker room. These were used (or not) after utilizing one of two toilets -- located in the center of the room for all to view -- that had no seats, which were assumed to have been broken off by enraged previous visitors.

"The most impressive part, though: It was almost artistic," Leach said, a little too excitedly. "Sitting on the floor right between the toilets with exactly one roll of toilet paper -- it was exquisite."

BeastMan
05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
2 words: recruit's lounge

RocketDawg
05-07-2018, 09:58 PM
I'm probably the only MSU fan and BDC member who doesn't like spending amost $4M on a friggin' locker room. The players spend what ... a couple of hours each game in there? Why does it have to be so elaborate (I know ... for recruiting ... but geez ....)? It's a dressing room, not a 5-star hotel.

Offshore Dawg
05-08-2018, 07:50 AM

Should not be a major problem, building is already there. I would assume that they will only be forming up the interior

Cary Hudson's little bro
05-08-2018, 07:57 AM
I'm probably the only MSU fan and BDC member who doesn't like spending amost $4M on a friggin' locker room. The players spend what ... a couple of hours each game in there? Why does it have to be so elaborate (I know ... for recruiting ... but geez ....)? It's a dressing room, not a 5-star hotel.

*Doesn't Get IT*

RocketDawg
05-08-2018, 08:45 AM
*Doesn't Get IT*

I guess you're right, but let's put it in perspective. I have two Club Level tickets, for which I have to pay a privilege tax of $3900 just to be able to buy tickets. That means that 1000 other people have to pay the same thing just to pay for the locker room upgrade. That's basically the entire Club Level income for an entire year (2000 seats). It's also approximately tuition for an entire semester for 1000 in-state students.

BeastMan
05-08-2018, 09:03 AM
I guess you're right, but let's put it in perspective. I have two Club Level tickets, for which I have to pay a privilege tax of $3900 just to be able to buy tickets. That means that 1000 other people have to pay the same thing just to pay for the locker room upgrade. That's basically the entire Club Level income for an entire year (2000 seats). It's also approximately tuition for an entire semester for 1000 in-state students.

The announcement I read said privately funded

RocketDawg
05-08-2018, 05:03 PM
The announcement I read said privately funded

I'm sure it is privately funded, but money is money. I understand that to be competitive it's something that has to be done. I just think it's ridiculous, not just for us but for any school.

BeastMan
05-08-2018, 07:27 PM
I'm sure it is privately funded, but money is money. I understand that to be competitive it's something that has to be done. I just think it's ridiculous, not just for us but for any school.

If there is some guy out there who wants to throw $4M at a locker room... more power to them. That said, it’s probably a group

RocketDawg
05-08-2018, 09:03 PM
If there is some guy out there who wants to throw $4M at a locker room... more power to them. That said, it’s probably a group

Certainly wouldn't turn it down, but you'd think donations like that would dwindle a bit under the new tax laws.