PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Pat Austin is leaving the staff for the NFL

somebodyshotmypaw
05-06-2018, 09:23 PM
Bumphis maybe as a replacement?

CadaverDawg
05-06-2018, 09:30 PM
Ouch, Pat was so instrumental in keeping the '18 class together. I'll forever be grateful for his effort on the trail. Best of luck to him

Todd4State
05-06-2018, 09:34 PM
What team is he going to?

Bulldog1
05-06-2018, 10:18 PM
So, it looks like J-Banks and Bumphis are candidates.

Todd4State
05-06-2018, 10:26 PM
So, it looks like J-Banks and Bumphis are candidates.

I say hire them both unless there are restrictions and we can only hire one.

preachermatt83
05-06-2018, 10:29 PM
Boobie!!!!!????

jacksondawg
05-06-2018, 11:16 PM
What exactly are the responsibilities that are associated with his job? Like is it on-campus recruiting, off-campus recruiting or recruit evaluations, etc.

BeardoMSU
05-06-2018, 11:22 PM
What exactly are the responsibilities that are associated with his job?

Whatever Hev didn't feel like doing (i.e., everything)***

Todd4State
05-06-2018, 11:27 PM
What exactly are the responsibilities that are associated with his job? Like is it on-campus recruiting, off-campus recruiting or recruit evaluations, etc.

I think it's all of that and developing relationships with coaches and players around the state.

I envision it as they are the guys that a high school coach will call up and say "Hey, you need to look at this guy on my team" or "we played Central HS and they have this guy you need to look at".

Todd4State
05-06-2018, 11:29 PM
Whatever Hev didn't feel like doing (i.e., everything)***

I have a feeling that the excuses that they came up with for Hev not calling recruits sounded a lot like lame excuses girls come up with for not dating a guy. "Yeah, uh....Hev has just been washing his hair a lot the past three months."

Cooterpoot
05-07-2018, 03:59 AM
Hmmmmm.......

Bully13
05-07-2018, 07:09 AM
So what will he be doing for a NFL team? Scouting college talent?

So now we have to replace Pat. Isn't this a position that requires salesmanship and experience in relationship building?

Ifyouonlyknew
05-07-2018, 07:43 AM
Grateful for Pat & how he held last year class together. Bump or Banks will do a great job.

fader2103
05-07-2018, 07:47 AM
Seems like a well known HS coach might be a good fit for the job also. I mean in worked with Pat and Brad. Chris Chambless might should be considered or Beautiful Bobby Hall*

Jack Lambert
05-07-2018, 07:56 AM
They have to have a college degree. Who does?

Westdawg
05-07-2018, 08:47 AM

You actually must have a master's

Ari Gold
05-07-2018, 08:56 AM

Bump has been with buffalo and now at Utah. So he will for sure have the qualifications
JB was hired by Starkville to help with the program there but not sure if he has the qualifications for the job at state yet .
Might be something he can get this summer if he needs to.

Just my opinion but I would hire Bump, he already has gotten his feet wet and should know the ropes. And I’m not against hiring both ..

Cary Hudson's little bro
05-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Boobie!!!!!????

Would be cool, but he's got to get his degree

Cooterpoot
05-07-2018, 09:46 AM
I can't see us hiring Banks if that excludes us from being able to recruit Starkville.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-07-2018, 09:56 AM
I can't see us hiring Banks if that excludes us from being able to recruit Starkville.

Compliance is doing its due diligence on that exact deal right now. If he gets by that I think he'll be the guy. If not Bump will do a great job too.

Bully13
05-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Compliance is doing its due diligence on that exact deal right now. If he gets by that I think he'll be the guy. If not Bump will do a great job too.

Not understanding the Starkville limitations. what's that all about? Banks being from the area or something? not getting that.

Also, doesn't this gig require big time sales skills and the ability to build relationships? If we are considering Banks, I'm assuming he's strong in those areas as well. I'm sure he knows a lot of folks down in MS.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-07-2018, 10:08 AM
Not understanding the Starkville limitations. what's that all about? Banks being from the area or something? not getting that.

Also, doesn't this gig require big time sales skills and the ability to build relationships? If we are considering Banks, I'm assuming he's strong in those areas as well. I'm sure he knows a lot of folks down in MS.

If you hire a coach for an off field position you can't recruit the school he came from for 2yrs.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-07-2018, 05:39 PM
If you hire a coach for an off field position you can't recruit the school he came from for 2yrs.

That is my understanding also. Which would probably eliminate Jon Banks. I think the rule is to prevent a school from hiring a 5-star recruit's coach, then stashing him in an office job counting paperclips. You didn't want the employee, you only wanted the recruit. I think Banks was just hired at Starkville High.

Bumphis would probably do great for us.

rcsteph1
05-07-2018, 05:44 PM
That is my understanding also. Which would probably eliminate Jon Banks. I think the rule is to prevent a school from hiring a 5-star recruit's coach, then stashing him in an office job counting paperclips. You didn't want the employee, you only wanted the recruit. I think Banks was just hired at Starkville High.

If Banks is the guy then the question would be could you get a waiver since he has not coached a game with Stark High.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-07-2018, 05:47 PM
It's the NCAA so any such waver would take 6+months to get a response on

msbulldog
05-07-2018, 05:51 PM

Certainly that is the logic behind the rule. Reference; Sean and Shay Patterson; Mitch Mustain and Gus Malzhan.

Bully13
05-07-2018, 05:54 PM

Even if we lose the case on Banks, and he's the guy we want, certainly someone else on Joe's team could take over the SHS area, no?

msbulldog
05-07-2018, 06:04 PM
Even if we lose the case on Banks, and he's the guy we want, certainly someone else on Joe's team could take over the SHS area, no?

Bully it might be good to have JB at SHS to counteract the OM influence.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-07-2018, 06:39 PM

Doesn't work like that

Ifyouonlyknew
05-07-2018, 06:39 PM
Bully it might be good to have JB at SHS to counteract the OM influence.

There's no OM influence there. That was the previous staff.

RocketDawg
05-07-2018, 10:10 PM

Why is that an issue?

Edit: I think it was answered later in the thread. I didn't know there was such a rule.

Political Hack
05-08-2018, 02:09 PM
Thankfully this happened after NSD. Bump is probably more qualified, but either would be a good choice and loyal to State.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-08-2018, 03:51 PM
Should have the new guy in pretty soon.

Bully13
05-08-2018, 04:21 PM
Doesn't work like that

I'm not understanding this. Are you saying that no school can recruit where their Director of Recruiting Communications/Recruiting Coordinator went to high school for 2 years? what is the purpose of that rule?

Ifyouonlyknew
05-08-2018, 04:24 PM
I'm not understanding this. Are you saying that no school can recruit where their Director of Recruiting Communications/Recruiting Coordinator went to high school for 2 years? what is the purpose of that rule?

To keep schools from hiring HS coaches as head of staples just to get a recruit.

Bully13
05-08-2018, 04:34 PM
To keep schools from hiring HS coaches as head of staples just to get a recruit.

I got it. Maybe we will win the case since he's not a high school coach. He's currently listed as an unsigned free agent. NFL career over?

Chad Bumphis looks like he's got leadership and coaching skills. Would he be a better pick over Banks?

Ifyouonlyknew
05-08-2018, 05:41 PM
I got it. Maybe we will win the case since he's not a high school coach. He's currently listed as an unsigned free agent. NFL career over?

Chad Bumphis looks like he's got leadership and coaching skills. Would he be a better pick over Banks?

Banks was hired as a HS coach but we're working on something that may help us get him in that position.

Todd4State
05-08-2018, 09:56 PM

Like Ole Miss?

It's amazing to me how many things that they dream up to get an "in" with a recruit that they want really, really, really, really, really, bad.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-08-2018, 10:14 PM
Like Ole Miss?

It's amazing to me how many things that they dream up to get an "in" with a recruit that they want really, really, really, really, really, bad.

It's actually smart & they don't have a patented to it. We've probably should've done more of it.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-09-2018, 02:41 PM
Where is Austin actually going? Seems odd for him to leave without any details.

Bully13
05-09-2018, 02:49 PM
Where is Austin actually going? Seems odd for him to leave without any details.

I would guess to a NFL team to scout college talent. Do those positions pay more than what he was making here?