PDA

View Full Version : RPI sitting at 35

MetEdDawg
05-04-2018, 10:34 PM
SOS sitting at 12. We need 4 more wins to guarantee a winning record.

Ugly win but a win by the guys tonight. Need Small to go out and shove it Saturday. We would be somewhere around the 10 seed in the SEC tournament if it started today. Currently only 2 games out of being tied for the 4th seed. So these next 2 are super important given we end with UF and UK

mstatefan91
05-04-2018, 10:50 PM
Series win against UF would be a miracle, but we seem to play our best against the best so maybe. Not counting on it.

I think we can do well against UK.

basedog
05-04-2018, 10:56 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we need to worry about Bama on Saturday. We should have an advantage with Small.

mstatefan91
05-04-2018, 11:02 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we need to worry about Bama on Saturday. We should have an advantage with Small.

This is addressed it in the first four sentences of the OP. This is more of a what if

Todd4State
05-04-2018, 11:29 PM
The rest of our games are huge. We really need to win at least this series against Alabama and to be honest we really could use a sweep.

mstatefan91
05-04-2018, 11:38 PM
The rest of our games are huge. We really need to win at least this series against Alabama and to be honest we really could use a sweep.

What would be necessary to host? I figure it's a long shot

Todd4State
05-05-2018, 12:13 AM

I'd go as far as to say it's close to impossible. I don't think we could get our RPI up enough to host even if we won out and won the SEC Tournament. But I think winning out and winning the SEC Tournament would get us in the discussion because that would mean that we swept Arkansas, beat Ole Miss three out of four, swept Kentucky on the road, and swept Florida plus whoever all we beat in the SEC Tournament which is bound to be at least three high RPI teams.

We would have to get white hot and we don't look like a team that can do that the way we are pitching right now.

Pit Bull
05-05-2018, 02:31 AM
Series win against UF would be a miracle, but we seem to play our best against the best so maybe. Not counting on it.

Now the UF series may be the one series to move Pilk to Sat. or Sun. Might as well throw our worst pitcher on Fri. night. UF's Singer shut out TAMU 9-0. It would be an outright miracle if we beat him. Better chance if Pilk or Small pitched against their 2nd and 3rd. Then again, their #2 and #3 are better than anything we have on our team anyway. I'm hoping we can squeeze out one win against the Gators. UK has been underperforming to my surprise.....may be something for Cohen to think about. And Butch is struggling a bit at Auburn too. Mingone and Thompson may not be our answer for our new head coach. Sulky Sullivan is a good coach.......I just don't like his attitude though. Kind of arrogant.

Todd4State
05-05-2018, 02:46 AM
Now the UF series may be the one series to move Pilk to Sat. or Sun. Might as well throw our worst pitcher on Fri. night. UF's Singer shut out TAMU 9-0. It would be an outright miracle if we beat him. Better chance if Pilk or Small pitched against their 2nd and 3rd. Then again, their #2 and #3 are better than anything we have on our team anyway. I'm hoping we can squeeze out one win against the Gators. UK has been underperforming to my surprise.....may be something for Cohen to think about. And Butch is struggling a bit at Auburn too. Mingone and Thompson may not be our answer for our new head coach. Sulky Sullivan is a good coach.......I just don't like his attitude though. Kind of arrogant.

The pitching match-ups for us against Florida don't really matter much in the grand scheme of things. If anything changes we might move France to the Sunday spot- and that's pretty questionable.

I don't think Butch or Mingione are our answer as head coaches. If Cohen thought they were he would have hired them when we hired Cann. I doubt he is going to go back to them unless some things fall through. Butch is a better coach than Mingione in my opinion- especially when it comes to recruiting pitchers. That said, I thought he mismanaged our staff in 2015 which contributed to us having a losing season that year and I was not unhappy that he left. I think he has done a better job at Auburn than you may realize- they have a good chance to host and they have a huge series with Ole Miss next weekend where I think that could very well happen if Auburn wins that series. They're only a game behind Ole Miss for second place at the moment.

I think Mingione simply inherited a veteran team and Kentucky also doesn't typically play a killer OOC schedule. They currently have the same SEC record as us but they do have a nice series win against Texas Tech in Lexington plus they split with Louisville- and their SOS in 126 I think. If he is having similar or better results two-three years from now I will be sold. A lot of people thought he was kind of a joke when he was with us- but a good recruiter.

MarketingBully
05-05-2018, 06:04 AM
I'd go as far as to say it's close to impossible. I don't think we could get our RPI up enough to host even if we won out and won the SEC Tournament. But I think winning out and winning the SEC Tournament would get us in the discussion because that would mean that we swept Arkansas, beat Ole Miss three out of four, swept Kentucky on the road, and swept Florida plus whoever all we beat in the SEC Tournament which is bound to be at least three high RPI teams.

We would have to get white hot and we don't look like a team that can do that the way we are pitching right now.

Better yet, the coaching decisions of Henderson wouldn’t allow us to. Seriously, why not give Jordan Anderson a shot at DHing in the nine hole. We couldn’t get any less production then we are now. What does the old man have against him? Anderson’s speed at the nine hole really compliments what we have at the top of the order and he’s a better average hitter then Hatcher is.

Bully13
05-05-2018, 09:13 AM

I'm pretty sure we'd host if we won out and took the tourney but since that ain't gonna happen I reckon the point is moot.

Bulldog1
05-05-2018, 09:19 AM

If we won out and won the sec tournament, I believe we'd 100% host. But that won't happen, so it doesn't matter.

Dawgology
05-05-2018, 10:04 AM

Truth. This team does play to its opponent. Not sure if that coaching, youth, or a combination of both.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-05-2018, 10:31 AM
1. We need to sweep BAMA.
2. We need to move Pilk to Sunday starter and not play him in SEC Tourney.... he has hit wall.
3. France/Billingsley to Friday nite starter. That way they could pitch first game of SEC Tourney

basedog
05-05-2018, 11:43 AM
Better yet, the coaching decisions of Henderson wouldn’t allow us to. Seriously, why not give Jordan Anderson a shot at DHing in the nine hole. We couldn’t get any less production then we are now. What does the old man have against him? Anderson’s speed at the nine hole really compliments what we have at the top of the order and he’s a better average hitter then Hatcher is.

I like Hatcher, I listened to Jay Powell talking about Hatcher and he is real high on the kid. Hatcher is gonna be really good.

basedog
05-05-2018, 11:45 AM
1. We need to sweep BAMA.
2. We need to move Pilk to Sunday starter and not play him in SEC Tourney.... he has hit wall.
3. France/Billingsley to Friday nite starter. That way they could pitch first game of SEC Tourney

Disagree about Pilk not pitching in SEC. He is still a top pitcher who just needs to step up and can. Just me saying.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-05-2018, 11:57 AM
The Florida series is Thurs/Fri/Sat. So there is no Sunday spot.

CadaverDawg
05-05-2018, 01:14 PM

I'm just praying for 4 wins and postseason...I don't think there's any chance at hosting even if we won out

The Federalist Engineer
05-05-2018, 02:34 PM

Same odds as South Korea in the World Cup, maybe worse

Or the same odds as Jackson, MS winning the 2nd Amazon HQ

MarketingBully
05-05-2018, 05:54 PM
I like Hatcher, I listened to Jay Powell talking about Hatcher and he is real high on the kid. Hatcher is gonna be really good.

So is Anderson but we are wasting Anderson’s freshman year for what? Because we have too many outfielders? Give me a break.

Hambone
05-05-2018, 05:57 PM
The few times I’ve actually been able to see Jordan Anderson bat in the SEC series, he looks lost.

msstate7
05-06-2018, 10:10 PM
Where's our rpi right now?

Bulldog1
05-06-2018, 10:14 PM
We're at 38 right now. We need to win the Troy game this week.

Quaoarsking
05-06-2018, 11:04 PM
We're at 38 right now. We need to win the Troy game this week.

Agreed. We're 26-22 with 7 to go. If we go 3-4 over the last 7, we'll be 29-26 going into Hoover and should be safely in a Regional. (Although obviously winning some games there will be helpful just in case there are a bunch of bid-stealers or the Committee just doesn't give us a break or whatever.)

If we go 2-5 over our last 7, we'll be 28-27 going into Hoover, and if we lose on day 1 when it's single elimination, we'll be 28-28 and SOL for the NCAAs. Even if we won to get to 29-27, we could still then go 0-2 in the double elimination tournament and be 29-29 and SOL.

Just win 3 of these last 7 and we should be in, or at least we are at the mercy of the Committee rather than automatically ineligible. Beating Troy Tuesday makes it a lot easier.

Todd4State
05-06-2018, 11:31 PM
Agreed. We're 26-22 with 7 to go. If we go 3-4 over the last 7, we'll be 29-26 going into Hoover and should be safely in a Regional. (Although obviously winning some games there will be helpful just in case there are a bunch of bid-stealers or the Committee just doesn't give us a break or whatever.)

If we go 2-5 over our last 7, we'll be 28-27 going into Hoover, and if we lose on day 1 when it's single elimination, we'll be 28-28 and SOL for the NCAAs. Even if we won to get to 29-27, we could still then go 0-2 in the double elimination tournament and be 29-29 and SOL.

Just win 3 of these last 7 and we should be in, or at least we are at the mercy of the Committee rather than automatically ineligible. Beating Troy Tuesday makes it a lot easier.

The problem is three of those seven are against Florida. We need to beat Troy and win the Kentucky series. That's why losing to Alabama or the other times we have Hendersoned a game away has hurt us.

MarketingBully
05-07-2018, 04:15 AM
The problem is three of those seven are against Florida. We need to beat Troy and win the Kentucky series. That's why losing to Alabama or the other times we have Hendersoned a game away has hurt us.

With the right leadership and coaching this team could easily be a regional host team. It sucks what Cann did to this program selfishly. Now, if we replace Cann with a McDonnell or a Tadlock then the program actually got better in the long run. We shall see. I’m very excited about who we possibly could hire. Will give us a fresh start and could be the jolt this program needed consistency wise.

State82
05-07-2018, 08:23 AM
Can't believe we didn't schedule another game the last week or two to make up the fogged out game from early in the season. Maybe we tried and couldn't get it worked out. But that hurt our cause.

Quaoarsking
05-07-2018, 09:13 AM
Can't believe we didn't schedule another game the last week or two to make up the fogged out game from early in the season. Maybe we tried and couldn't get it worked out. But that hurt our cause.

If we leave Hoover at 28-28 or 29-29, we could always make up the game that Saturday or Sunday by blasting Alcorn or whoever to get eligible. It would hurt our RPI though, so we shouldn't schedule it unless absolutely necessary.

MetEdDawg
05-07-2018, 09:21 AM
I think we can take 1 of 3 from Florida. They are good, but we aren't bad. We've shown the ability to put up runs. In our last 18 games (since the start of the OM series) we are averaging 6.44 runs per game. That's good enough to take a Saturday or Sunday from Florida. Florida is 2-3 in their last 5 Sunday games and all 3 losses were on the road.

I do agree however that Troy is probably a must win. I'm not gonna predict we take 2 of 3 from UK in Lexington. I think us taking Troy, then taking 1 each from UF and UK is the more likely scenario. That's probably going to give us a Top 40 RPI and a Top 8 SOS. Should be enough for a 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

confucius say
05-07-2018, 10:17 AM
I would feel much better at 14-16 in conference than 13-17.

Todd4State
05-07-2018, 01:44 PM
If we leave Hoover at 28-28 or 29-29, we could always make up the game that Saturday or Sunday by blasting Alcorn or whoever to get eligible. It would hurt our RPI though, so we shouldn't schedule it unless absolutely necessary.

I'm not sure we could do that because they announce the selections after the SEC a Tournament Championship Game.

basedog
05-07-2018, 03:33 PM
I think we can take 1 of 3 from Florida. They are good, but we aren't bad. We've shown the ability to put up runs. In our last 18 games (since the start of the OM series) we are averaging 6.44 runs per game. That's good enough to take a Saturday or Sunday from Florida. Florida is 2-3 in their last 5 Sunday games and all 3 losses were on the road.

I do agree however that Troy is probably a must win. I'm not gonna predict we take 2 of 3 from UK in Lexington. I think us taking Troy, then taking 1 each from UF and UK is the more likely scenario. That's probably going to give us a Top 40 RPI and a Top 8 SOS. Should be enough for a 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Yes +1

Quaoarsking
05-07-2018, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure we could do that because they announce the selections after the SEC a Tournament Championship Game.

We would have to get it in before the SEC Tournament was over.

Todd4State
05-07-2018, 07:57 PM
We would have to get it in before the SEC Tournament was over.

Yeah- it would be crazy tight because I assume the SWAC Tournament is going on too.