PDA

View Full Version : Eric Reid

Madisonmd
05-03-2018, 07:32 PM
What are the group thoughts on Reid's inability to sign with another NFL franchise? He is now suing for collusion.

msstate7
05-03-2018, 07:36 PM
Kaep can't get an nfl gig either. Maybe they shouldn't tick off the majority of the ones that make playing football for a living possible, the fans

VandelayIndustries
05-03-2018, 07:36 PM
Actions have consequences

Bulldog1
05-03-2018, 07:39 PM
I hope no one signs him. He chose to act like a baby over the flag, now he has to deal with his consequences.

VandelayIndustries
05-03-2018, 07:45 PM
He was crazy good at LSU and his rookie year for the niners, every since then he has kinda sucked. As a Saints fan feel like he has had the same career as Kenny Vaccaro

BuckyIsAB****
05-03-2018, 11:10 PM
Actions have consequences

Simple as that

TUSK
05-04-2018, 12:07 AM
At least read the titles to these two articles,,,, ten days apart....

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018/03/eric_reid_nfl_lsu_free_agency.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/03/23/eric-reid-says-he-wont-protest-during-the-national-anthem-if-an-nfl-team-signs-him/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0309dcb2972a

dawgs
05-04-2018, 01:33 AM
It's a shame he didn't just beat his wife/girlfriend. Or maybe kill someone in a drunk driving accident. Or rape a girl. Or mindlessly murder dogs. If he'd done any of those horrific things he'd probably have a job. But it appears he's crossed the line. That says some sad things about Americans.

bulldawg28
05-04-2018, 05:38 AM
It's a shame he didn't just beat his wife/girlfriend. Or maybe kill someone in a drunk driving accident. Or rape a girl. Or mindlessly murder dogs. If he'd done any of those horrific things he'd probably have a job. But it appears he's crossed the line. That says some sad things about Americans.

True

somebodyshotmypaw
05-04-2018, 06:28 AM

I'm an American. In the NFL, I don't want to see the rapist, the wife beater, the drunk driver who killed someone, or the dog killer. I also don't want to see those who hate America and want to destroy our country.

Madisonmd
05-04-2018, 06:37 AM
At least read the titles to these two articles,,,, ten days apart....

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018/03/eric_reid_nfl_lsu_free_agency.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/03/23/eric-reid-says-he-wont-protest-during-the-national-anthem-if-an-nfl-team-signs-him/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0309dcb2972a

Looks like money may be changing old Eric's principles!

defiantdog
05-04-2018, 07:52 AM
Or it's a simple case of insubordination towards his employer. No one wants to hire an employee with insubordinate tendencies.

BulldogDX55
05-04-2018, 09:04 AM
I'm an American. In the NFL, I don't want to see the rapist, the wife beater, the drunk driver who killed someone, or the dog killer. I also don't want to see those who hate America and want to destroy our country.

Did you boycott the NFL in the last year or two? If so, over which one of these things?

ShotgunDawg
05-04-2018, 09:28 AM

Rapists and murderers that aren't good players, don't get jobs.

They tolerate you till they can replace you.

If Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers would've kneeled for the anthem, they'd still be starters in the NFL. Although extreme, that example alone illustrates that this isn't only about kneeling for the anthem. Their talent is also intertwined with the inability to get a job.

DanDority
05-04-2018, 09:34 AM
Did you boycott the NFL in the last year or two? If so, over which one of these things?

I sure did! Didn't watch the Super Bowl for the first time in over 35 years.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-04-2018, 10:36 AM

One could argue that since Goddell has taken over, a lot of things players used to get away with are no longer swept under the rug. What current player/players that have done those type of horrific things still have jobs? Hell, he suspended E Elliott basically on rumor.

Your comparison is apples to oranges.

Leroy Jenkins
05-04-2018, 10:41 AM

I'm not sure what the implication is here...unless some people just like to bitch.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-04-2018, 12:04 PM

I did not boycott the NFL. So I didn't boycott over any of those things. But it doesn't mean I have to like it.

Bully13
05-04-2018, 12:54 PM
The kneeling hurt ratings and the NFL brand, there can be no denying that. Never have I seen a situation where employees can intentionally reduce their owner's profit and get away with it the way they did.

Dawgfan61
05-04-2018, 03:05 PM
My employer doesn't give me MLK or Confederate Memorial Day off. I think I will go kneel in his office during an important business meeting and see where that gets me.

dawgs
05-04-2018, 03:21 PM

If you think they stood for "hating America" and "wanting to destroy our country", then you are either too dumb for the conversation or you are being willfully ignorant or trolling and not worth a response.

dawgs
05-04-2018, 03:25 PM
The kneeling hurt ratings and the NFL brand, there can be no denying that. Never have I seen a situation where employees can intentionally reduce their owner's profit and get away with it the way they did.

Right, I said it reflects badly on Americans that non-violent protest over a very real issue causes them to turn off the tv or not attend games, but literally decades of criminal behavior by players, including behavior that led to death and injuries of others, did not cause Americans to turn off the tv or not attend games. Whether you agree or disagree with the method of non-violent protest is irrelevant to discussion over which actions should trigger more boycotts.

dawgs
05-04-2018, 03:28 PM
My employer doesn't give me MLK or Confederate Memorial Day off. I think I will go kneel in his office during an important business meeting and see where that gets me.

Except kneeling before a game has no relevance to the on field play during the game. You kneeling in a meeting means the meeting can't actually go on as planned.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-04-2018, 03:36 PM
If you think they stood for "hating America" and "wanting to destroy our country", then you are either too dumb for the conversation or you are being willfully ignorant or trolling and not worth a response.

Let me give you an example. Let's say I want to protest to end world hunger. I think we can all agree that that's a great thing to stand for. But what if my method of protesting is to punch your wife in the face and say "I'm protesting world hunger." Every time I want to stand against world hunger I punch your wife in the face. Most people would say "your method of protesting looks an awful lot like assault." I understand that they say they are protesting injustices. But their method looks an awful lot like "I hate America".

BeardoMSU
05-04-2018, 03:42 PM
Let me give you an example. Let's say I want to protest to end world hunger. I think we can all agree that that's a great thing to stand for. But what if my method of protesting is to punch your wife in the face and say "I'm protesting world hunger." Every time I want to stand against world hunger I punch your wife in the face. Most people would say "your method of protesting looks an awful lot like assault." I understand that they say they are protesting injustices. But their method looks an awful lot like "I hate America".

https://media1.tenor.com/images/e1ebecead3c1b9e31bdbc3b0843c31ff/tenor.gif?itemid=4331496

dawgs
05-04-2018, 04:18 PM

God, I hope you are just trolling.

But punching anyone in the face is assault. Last I checked, kneeling during the anthem ain't against the law (that'd be some clearly racist dictator North Korea type shit if it was).

dawgs
05-04-2018, 04:38 PM
One could argue that since Goddell has taken over, a lot of things players used to get away with are no longer swept under the rug. What current player/players that have done those type of horrific things still have jobs? Hell, he suspended E Elliott basically on rumor.

Your comparison is apples to oranges.

Yeah but Elliott has a job and won't have trouble getting a job until his talent drops off. His domestic abuse allegations will have a negligible effect on his ability to continue to sign contracts so long as he's productive.

Eric Reid is a 26 year old above average safety according to pro football focus. He'd be an upgrade to many teams defensive backfield. Sure he's not Brady or Rodgers good, but he's plenty good to be a starter on most NFL teams, and be a pretty good one.

Simple fact is non-violent protest over a very real issue is more of a knock on your character to most Americans than beating the shit out of your wife or girlfriend, and that's really ****ing sad.

bobcat91
05-04-2018, 05:23 PM
Right now there are several veteran Safetys out of work for 2 reasons. First, the position is devalued and these guys want major dollar. He turned diwn the 49ers offer, so he was given an offer. Secondly, it is still a few more days until signing a guy doesnt effect comp picks for next year. I think he is getting what he deserves, but at least be bright enough to understand how the system works giving owners plausible denial.

dawgs
05-04-2018, 05:38 PM
Right now there are several veteran Safetys out of work for 2 reasons. First, the position is devalued and these guys want major dollar. He turned diwn the 49ers offer, so he was given an offer. Secondly, it is still a few more days until signing a guy doesnt effect comp picks for next year. I think he is getting what he deserves, but at least be bright enough to understand how the system works giving owners plausible denial.

Safety has seen a resurgence in importance as skill players on offense have become more and more positionless. 49ers didn't make him an offer either, they were open to discussing a 1 year deal and he wanted a long term deal. But there's a long way from discussing to agreeing to a deal.

The compensatory pick point is a good one, and I didn't realize that date hadn't passed, so we will see what happens after that.

Bully13
05-04-2018, 05:49 PM
Yeah but Elliott has a job and won't have trouble getting a job until his talent drops off. His domestic abuse allegations will have a negligible effect on his ability to continue to sign contracts so long as he's productive.

Eric Reid is a 26 year old above average safety according to pro football focus. He'd be an upgrade to many teams defensive backfield. Sure he's not Brady or Rodgers good, but he's plenty good to be a starter on most NFL teams, and be a pretty good one.

Simple fact is non-violent protest over a very real issue is more of a knock on your character to most Americans than beating the shit out of your wife or girlfriend, and that's really ****ing sad.

A lot , (majority) of Americans don't consider it a "very real issue", we consider it a "hands up don't shoot" issue. gang violence is the "very real issue", not cops. Their energy needs to be re-channeled.

There are lots of things about government I don't like too but I'm not disrespecting our Flag, Country & Veterans in protest fashion. Their kneeling is nothing but "17 this racist shithole country". If you can't see that, you are blind. You wanna foolishly protest the cops while ignoring inner city violence? Fine, but go hold up signs at your local police station, but don't shit on our National Anthem, Country, Flag & Veterans. And remember, you work for your team AND the NATIONAL Football League split into 2 conferences, the AMERICAN and NATIONAL. So while on the job, STFU with your nonsense belly aching bullshit and play football. On Monday, go picket in dumbass fashion if that blows your skirt up.

Irondawg
05-04-2018, 06:21 PM
Here’s the thing, I think most Americans don’t think the protest are over “a very real issue”. And even if they agree it is a issue it’s not something that the flag or the nation as a whole stands for so the protest is misguided. It’s not Vietnam or something where people are fighting under the flag and the leaders declared war and sent troops.

Want to go protest at your local police station - knock yourself out and nobody would care.

dawgs
05-04-2018, 07:07 PM
A lot , (majority) of Americans don't consider it a "very real issue", we consider it a "hands up don't shoot" issue. gang violence is the "very real issue", not cops. Their energy needs to be re-channeled.

There are lots of things about government I don't like too but I'm not disrespecting our Flag, Country & Veterans in protest fashion. Their kneeling is nothing but "17 this racist shithole country". If you can't see that, you are blind. You wanna foolishly protest the cops while ignoring inner city violence? Fine, but go hold up signs at your local police station, but don't shit on our National Anthem, Country, Flag & Veterans. And remember, you work for your team AND the NATIONAL Football League split into 2 conferences, the AMERICAN and NATIONAL. So while on the job, STFU with your nonsense belly aching bullshit and play football. On Monday, go picket in dumbass fashion if that blows your skirt up.

So because most white people dont consider it a real problem it isn't one? And plenty of black people have complied with police and been shot or killed by other means, and a disproportionately high % relative to white people.

Bully13
05-04-2018, 07:12 PM
So because most white people dont consider it a real problem it isn't one? And plenty of black people have complied with police and been shot or killed by other means, and a disproportionately high % relative to white people.

why are you shitting on white people? do our opinions not count because we are white? Does not the accused (white people) not have a say / defense in the court of public opinion? your "compliance numbers" are made up. Have you ever allowed your brain to surpass you fragile emotions?

tireddawg
05-04-2018, 07:36 PM

The very people bitching about the problems are the ones who are creating the problems.

dawgs
05-05-2018, 09:56 AM
why are you shitting on white people? do our opinions not count because we are white? Does not the accused (white people) not have a say / defense in the court of public opinion? your "compliance numbers" are made up. Have you ever allowed your brain to surpass you fragile emotions?

I'm not shitting on white people. Do you agree that different subsects of American citizens face different issues? Could be different religions face different issues, or different regions, or different races, or whatever. Most of these subsects consist of a minority of Americans, so of course their problems are not a problem to a majority of Americans. Is it bad to understand the problems they face and empathize with those problems instead of trivializing and mischaracterizing those problems since I don't have first hand experience with it? The lack of empathy in the country today is really appalling. There's also a difference between a system that was put into motion long ago the results in systematic racism and someone being a racist on a personal level, openly using the n-word, openly hostile towards minorities, etc. analyzing a system to see where it disproportionately affects people besides yourself and acknowledging it exists doesn't mean you are racist, it means we have a system that needs overhauling.

That said, criminal justice system needs overhauling regardless of race, but that's also a much farther reaching discussion.

dawgs
05-05-2018, 09:58 AM
The very people bitching about the problems are the ones who are creating the problems.

Yeah, the country was moving forward just fine with jim crow laws and segregation, but that damn Martin Luther king (and other civil rights leaders) had to come along and start raising a ruckus and leading people on marches and shit and creating problems when everything was just fine.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-05-2018, 10:10 AM
God, I hope you are just trolling.

But punching anyone in the face is assault. Last I checked, kneeling during the anthem ain't against the law (that'd be some clearly racist dictator North Korea type shit if it was).

So let's take something that's not against the law. Let's say every time I protest world hunger I go out on my driveway and holler the n-word toward my black neighbor. The truth is that my neighbor has nothing to do with world hunger, my mission to end world hunger will be overlooked, and I will actually be labeled as a racist prick. The reason is my actions make me look like a racist prick. I would need a better form of protest.

The NFL is not causing the injustices, their mission is being overlooked, and they are being labeled America haters. The reason is their actions make them look like America haters. They need a better form of protest.

dawgs
05-05-2018, 10:25 AM
My point is that my protest to end world hunger is really just assault on your wife. Any way you cut it, it is assault. And the two shouldn't be connected. It's a poor way for me to protest. Really it's Just an excuse to assault your wife.

The players' protest is really just them saying they hate America. Because that is what they are showing. If you are against injustice, then protest injustice. When you show hatred foe America, then that is what I see. You are protesting injustice by saying "piss on America".

You know the flag and America aren't the same things, right? You know that being critical of something you love doesn't mean you hate it, right? You know that blind respect without earning it means nothing, right?

Quite the attenuated analogy you got going though.

tireddawg
05-05-2018, 10:33 AM
Yeah, the country was moving forward just fine with jim crow laws and segregation, but that damn Martin Luther king (and other civil rights leaders) had to come along and start raising a ruckus and leading people on marches and shit and creating problems when everything was just fine.

I thought we were talking about present time, at least I time. That's the problem, living in the past. Every1 in this country has the same opportunity if they're willing to work for it. I didn't grow up with a silver spoon. I was broke, slept on the river bank many nights, & ate what I caught, killed, or out of cans, if I ate at all. I'm now successful and can eat a 17ing steak if I want b/c I didn't complain & play the victim role, I worked my ass off & made something of myself. Instead of bitching, whining, & protesting, I worked.

Most white people today have nothing to do with that shit, just want to be left alone and live their lives peacefully.

MLK was a great man, & many today should follow his lead. Instead of working, paying taxes, & contributing to society, they're out protesting all the damn time, while living off the gov't. STFU, go to work, make some money, and live life peacefully.

We make our lives what they are. No one has control over us. Success is a choice, & I choose to be successful. You apparently choose to be a victim, but what exactly are you a victim of? This ain't the 1960's.

RocketDawg
05-05-2018, 01:15 PM

I'll bet this thread is headed toward the political board, but in reality what it shows is that fans, as free Americans, have a right to their opinions and they're probably happy to see their opinions have a meaning on the field. I suppose he has a right to kneel or whatever for the nation's song, but he also has to suffer the consequences of his actions.

TUSK
05-05-2018, 01:44 PM

I'm curious if this is actually true when analyzed correctly...

dawgs
05-06-2018, 08:52 AM
I'll bet this thread is headed toward the political board, but in reality what it shows is that fans, as free Americans, have a right to their opinions and they're probably happy to see their opinions have a meaning on the field. I suppose he has a right to kneel or whatever for the nation's song, but he also has to suffer the consequences of his actions.

No one says they don't have the right, it's just said that they exercise their right over a non-violent protest instead of exercising their right over the dozens (probably hundreds) of instances of violent, criminal behavior, and I think that says something sad about the state of America. It's worse to non-violently protest an issue that's real to millions of people (even if the majority refuses to acknowledge it) than it is to beat your wife/girlfriend (Elliott, hardy, many more) or kill someone while driving drunk (Leonard little) or be implicated and involved in some level in murder (Ray Lewis), and that's insane to me.

dawgs
05-06-2018, 08:54 AM

https://www.vox.com/cards/police-brutality-shootings-us/us-police-racism

sandwolf
05-06-2018, 09:33 AM
No one says they don't have the right, it's just said that they exercise their right over a non-violent protest instead of exercising their right over the dozens (probably hundreds) of instances of violent, criminal behavior, and I think that says something sad about the state of America. It's worse to non-violently protest an issue that's real to millions of people (even if the majority refuses to acknowledge it) than it is to beat your wife/girlfriend (Elliott, hardy, many more) or kill someone while driving drunk (Leonard little) or be implicated and involved in some level in murder (Ray Lewis), and that's insane to me.

Take your condescending bullshit somewhere else. The majority doesn't have a problem acknowledging that it's a problem when someone of any color is compliant with police and gets shot anyway.....but the reality is that almost never happens.

confucius say
05-06-2018, 09:57 AM
This is not complicated. If your actions damage your employer's business, reputation, or bottom-line revenue then your employer gets rid of you. One may disagree with it, but that is reality.

And There is not one single law that grants you the right to protest or engage in political speech while on the job. Not one.

Roy Munson
05-06-2018, 10:19 AM

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/09/police-violence-against-black-men-rare-heres-what-data-actually-say/

There is no epidemic. I have a better chance of being shot by a black man than a black man does of being shot by a cop. Guess I should be protesting. More people die each year from beds, lawnmowers, televisions, bathtubs, ladders, etc than a black man killed by police. Innocence of any kind, color or creed killed by anyone is awful. There are more black innocent killed in a bad weekend in Chicago than by the police for an entire year. Where?s the epidemic again? The only thing systematic or routine in this is the lack of home life, family and the erosion of values for many in our society. Life is precious. For many reasons that has eroded today. We have a people problem.

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-06-2018, 10:36 AM

It's not. There's a dataset compiled by the Washington post that contains every police shooting in the country. I did an analysis on it for grad school project.

More unarmed whites are killed by police each year than blacks. The disproportion relative population is a product of more blacks attack or flee when confronted by police than whites.

For each race above, when the individual does no flee or attack the police officer, the rate of getting shot drops to 0.0001%.

Bully13
05-06-2018, 10:45 AM
It's not. There's a dataset compiled by the Washington post that contains every police shooting in the country. I did an analysis on it for grad school project.

More unarmed whites are killed by police each year than blacks. The disproportion relative population is a product of more blacks attack or flee when confronted by police than whites.

For each race above, when the individual does no flee or attack the police officer, the rate of getting shot drops to 0.0001%.

Post more. Especially since you did some actual research for the grad school project. It's sad we have so many inner city war zones in the United States of America. Why not address the fact that black people comprise 13% yet account for like 49% of the homicides? Look at young black male incarceration rates compared to whites. THAT is the problem that we need to come together collectively and address and improve. Not playing football with socks depicting pigs with cop hats on. It's sad when there are those who crave victimhood status so much that they would rather get off on protesting a false narrative than actually solving the root of the problem.

TUSK
05-06-2018, 12:36 PM

I said "analyzed correctly".... I think if the word "proportionally" is going to be employed in this context, one should use data based on the location of an incident, statistics on who actually commits most of the crime, stuff like that...

Using overall metrics, while it can help, doesn't tell the whole story.... IMO

For example: Group X is 25% of the population and commits 75% of crime... does this mean that Group X should only be arrested/kilt at only a 25% clip? Of course not....

edit: Coldsleeve's post was better....