PDA

View Full Version : OT: Need help from the grillmasters

Dawgology
05-03-2018, 03:07 PM
I have two huge pork loins that my in-laws are wanting me to smoke for a family gathering. I've smoked ribs plenty of times but I've never smoked tenderloin. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Brahmabull
05-03-2018, 03:24 PM
Are they pork loins or tenderloins? If tenderloins, I would scratch smoking them and just grill them normal. To me, smoking tenderloins is a waste of time and just drys out the meat. If you grill them regular, put of medium hot and rotate three times after 7 min. each time. Pull at internal temp of 135 and cover for 10 min. Should continue cooking to 145.

Dawgology
05-03-2018, 03:47 PM
Are they pork loins or tenderloins? If tenderloins, I would scratch smoking them and just grill them normal. To me, smoking tenderloins is a waste of time and just drys out the meat. If you grill them regular, put of medium hot and rotate three times after 7 min. each time. Pull at internal temp of 135 and cover for 10 min. Should continue cooking to 145.

I meant pork loins. Just had a brain fart. Not tenderloins.

Liverpooldawg
05-03-2018, 03:47 PM
Make medallions and wrap them in bacon like a beef filet. Use thick cut applewood smoked bacon. Put them on the grill.

parabrave
05-03-2018, 04:11 PM
Don't forget Dales

Bulldog1
05-03-2018, 04:14 PM
My favorite is garlic peppercorn pork loin in the oven.

79acctngdawg
05-03-2018, 04:22 PM
cut the lion about 1 inch deep length and width about 3 inches apart. Mix 2 cups bullseye bbq sauce, 2 cups jim beam bbq sauce and 1 cup honey together and bast loin while cooking. Bast with honey about last 30 minutes..

MaroonFlounder
05-03-2018, 06:00 PM
Don't forget Dales

Wrong msg board

weblow
05-03-2018, 06:09 PM
If it was me I would reverse sear them.

Put them on the smoker at 215-220 with applewood. Check internal temp until they are half way cooked. Once you reach the halfway mark I would sprinkle a good amount of sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper on them. Fire the grill up to 500 or so and place them on the grill for 1:30 per side until they reach the desired temp.

Dallas_Dawg
05-03-2018, 06:55 PM
I do a brine for 24 hours. Bring salt, brown sugar, peppercorns and bay leaves to a boil. Let cool to room temp and soak them for a day.
Then smoke it at 200-225 until done. Juiciest loin you will ever have.
If you really want more flavor, wrap them in several slices of bacon before smoking. Loins are lean, and the bacon adds some fat.
I smoke them with applewood or cherry. Nothing too heavy

Turfdawg67
05-03-2018, 07:17 PM

I smoke pork tenderloins all the time... 215 degrees until internal temp of 135 or so then wrap as you stated. I then slice them after they've rested, put them on a sourdough bread along with jalape?o cole slaw, bbq sauce and fried onions. To die for and never dried out...

Majors42
05-04-2018, 12:26 AM
I have two huge pork loins that my in-laws are wanting me to smoke for a family gathering. I've smoked ribs plenty of times but I've never smoked tenderloin. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Loins are low fat. They really can?t be smoked. I grill them while adding wood chunks or chips. Smoking really only works for large birds or large fatty meats. If you want the smoke flavor, add chunks with the charcoal. The best flavor and juice you get on this meat is a fast cook. 350 indirect heat with smoke. Shit ton of seasoning and a baste at the end will produce the best loin

Dawgology
05-04-2018, 09:08 AM
Loins are low fat. They really can?t be smoked. I grill them while adding wood chunks or chips. Smoking really only works for large birds or large fatty meats. If you want the smoke flavor, add chunks with the charcoal. The best flavor and juice you get on this meat is a fast cook. 350 indirect heat with smoke. Shit ton of seasoning and a baste at the end will produce the best loin

Thank you! That was a major concern for me. They are lean and smoking seemed like it would be tricky.

Bully13
05-04-2018, 04:51 PM
I smoke my baby backs on low heat just enough to get the smoke flavor in them. I then remove the partially cooked ribs from the grill , take inside, wrap them in alum foil and put them in the oven on low heat to cook them the rest of the way.

Randolph Dupree
05-04-2018, 08:54 PM
Couple of things you can do here that will put this over the top. One, you can take a long sharp knife (think fillet knife) and make a cavity in the center that runs the length of the loin stuff that with whatever sounds good to you (I go with ground sausage, spinach and some cream cheese) and then wrap the whole thing in bacon. Grill it at about 300. As others have said, you can add smoke chips to the coals. The other thing you can do is sock the marinade to it and grill it at around 350 indirect. I did this a couple of weeks ago with a garlic butter marinade and injected it. It was awesome.

Either way you go serve it with twice baked potatoes and a salad and you're money.

Dawgology
05-04-2018, 10:24 PM
Well, it turned out well and i used a combo of the advice given here. I soaked it in a brine over night of water, brown sugar, salt, and a little of a rub that I like. Patted dry the next morning and mixed my store bought rub with brown sugar and coated it with it. Put it on the smoker at 230 with Apple wood for about 2.5 hours. Started basting with a mix of Sweet Baby Rays/Jack Daniels BBQ sauce and cane syrup at about an hour.

We tore into it. So moist you could cut it with a fork. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Howboutdemdogs
05-08-2018, 07:37 PM
I agree with a lot of people here. Just smoke the loin on 215 for an hour to get the smoke flavor. Afterwards, split it length ways and fill with cream cheese, chives, and garlic. Coat the outside with Dijon mustard, and wrap with bacon. Finish on the grill at 225 for about 1-1/2 hours.